October 2014 Moms
Options

Weekly GD Check In! 08/12/14

2»

Re: Weekly GD Check In! 08/12/14

• Options
    New to the GD! 30w and missing my daily strawberry milk.
    I still have yet to meet with the nutritionist they scheduled me for but I have been just following a low sugar/low carb diet. Got the prick kit today, pricked myself three times and didn't get enough blood. I am waiting until after dinner now because my stomach was turning from the first three. I am definitely going to have to get over myself to keep this up for the next 2.5 months!
  • Options
    @BeckyH05I'm going to try the Greek yogurt in the morning.  I was gagging on my eggs this morning so I think I need to lay off of them for a while. I also might try what @DreadGamerWife and @Irobi13 mentioned with the waffle and peanut butter and the cheese toast. I'm going to try to fry up a whole bunch of sausage this weekend to have for next week or I might make a quiche.  I can handle eggs in that form.  Thanks for the suggestions.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Been waiting to check in until after seeing the Dr today b/c I knew things would change. Diet as a whole has been going well. I don't feel too deprived most of the time, but it is not consistently controlling my sugars. Got started on Glyburide today, so hopefully that will do the trick. Start weekly BPPs next week, and I was told we'll probably deliver around 39 weeks, but definitely not past 40. If she looks good I'm hoping we can push it to 39w3d to 40 (just so I can work that last week and be off til after christmas). A healthy baby is the main goal though.

• Options
    So, as I guess an update to the above post: took the Glyburide 2.5mg for the first time tonight. I work nights so these times will seem a little off... took it at 2100, ate a 60g carb lunch @ 2140. Post parandial at 2340 was 136. At 0040, I start feeling shakey, so I checked and my sugar was 62. Ate my snack (I was aboutto anyways, lol) around 30 mins later it came up to 104. Roughly an hour later, I start feeling shakey again, so I check again and it's 51. WTF!?!?!?! Ate my dinner at that time. I'm already feeling better, but I'm afraid I'm just going to bottom out again. I have typically been eating every 3 hours, but maybe with meds on board I need to eat every 2 hours? I'm going to try again tomorrow eating every 2 hours, but if I still am having issues, I'll call my ob and see what she says. Just A. Wanted to vent and B. Wanted to see if anyone experienced anything similar or had other suggestions.

• Options

So, as I guess an update to the above post: took the Glyburide 2.5mg for the first time tonight. I work nights so these times will seem a little off... took it at 2100, ate a 60g carb lunch @ 2140. Post parandial at 2340 was 136. At 0040, I start feeling shakey, so I checked and my sugar was 62. Ate my snack (I was aboutto anyways, lol) around 30 mins later it came up to 104. Roughly an hour later, I start feeling shakey again, so I check again and it's 51. WTF!?!?!?! Ate my dinner at that time. I'm already feeling better, but I'm afraid I'm just going to bottom out again. I have typically been eating every 3 hours, but maybe with meds on board I need to eat every 2 hours? I'm going to try again tomorrow eating every 2 hours, but if I still am having issues, I'll call my ob and see what she says. Just A. Wanted to vent and B. Wanted to see if anyone experienced anything similar or had other suggestions.

That sounds all too familiar. I hated being on glyburide because of its unpredictability. I'd ask your doc about splitting the pills and moving you to a lower dose, and in the meantime make sure you carry glucose tablets (or any fast-acting sugar, like juice or fat free candy) around with you.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Anyone have any finger prick tricks? Last night post-dinner thought I got three good pricks - no reading. This morning fasting, first one not so much blood, second a great big beautiful sphere and then I got an error message. That brought the frustration tears. My middle and ring finger are throbbing....
  • Options

Anyone have any finger prick tricks? Last night post-dinner thought I got three good pricks - no reading. This morning fasting, first one not so much blood, second a great big beautiful sphere and then I got an error message. That brought the frustration tears. My middle and ring finger are throbbing....

I always wash my hands with warm/hot water. I massage my hold hand kinda squeezing the blood down towards my fingers and squeeze the finger I plan on pricking.

Then I dry them completely. The next trick is to place your hand palm down on a paper towel or napkin and prick the side of your finger. You can add more pressure to the area that way and the you can squeeze the prick to get more blood out.
  • Options
    New to the GD! 30w and missing my daily strawberry milk. I still have yet to meet with the nutritionist they scheduled me for but I have been just following a low sugar/low carb diet. Got the prick kit today, pricked myself three times and didn't get enough blood. I am waiting until after dinner now because my stomach was turning from the first three. I am definitely going to have to get over myself to keep this up for the next 2.5 months!
    @applebottomgenes, you could try blending soy milk (I get the Silk light soymilk) with fresh strawberries as a substitute. If you add half a frozen banana, it is almost like a strawberry milk shake. Soy milk is super high in protein so it's better for you than milk. If having this as breakfast causes high post prandial numbers, you can try it as a bed time snack - I missed milk shakes dreadfully my last pregnancy and this helped with the cravings.

• Options
    lrobi13 said:
    I always wash my hands with warm/hot water. I massage my hold hand kinda squeezing the blood down towards my fingers and squeeze the finger I plan on pricking. Then I dry them completely. The next trick is to place your hand palm down on a paper towel or napkin and prick the side of your finger. You can add more pressure to the area that way and the you can squeeze the prick to get more blood out.

Thank you!! I got two finger pricks in a row (well after a couple hours in a row) after massaging. You are my hero. Someone told me I'll get used to it...would love to just fast forward to the used to it part!

@ss265 - Um, this sounds amazing. People asked me what I 'craved' most during pregnancy (fitting into my pants wasn't the answer they were looking for) and it really has been strawberry milk. It reminded me of the days I was home alone in highschool and we had the powder stuff and I would pour enough in to my milk to make it red. So yeah, craving something so sweet it could kill me could have been a sign of diabetes :). I will try this much healthier version!

• Options
    lrobi13 said:
    I always wash my hands with warm/hot water. I massage my hold hand kinda squeezing the blood down towards my fingers and squeeze the finger I plan on pricking. Then I dry them completely. The next trick is to place your hand palm down on a paper towel or napkin and prick the side of your finger. You can add more pressure to the area that way and the you can squeeze the prick to get more blood out.

Thank you!! I got two finger pricks in a row (well after a couple hours in a row) after massaging. You are my hero. Someone told me I'll get used to it...would love to just fast forward to the used to it part!

@ss265 - Um, this sounds amazing. People asked me what I 'craved' most during pregnancy (fitting into my pants wasn't the answer they were looking for) and it really has been strawberry milk. It reminded me of the days I was home alone in highschool and we had the powder stuff and I would pour enough in to my milk to make it red. So yeah, craving something so sweet it could kill me could have been a sign of diabetes :). I will try this much healthier version!

@applebottomgenes, no problem. I have also been eating Haagen Dazs strawberry ice cream cups as my late night snack with fasting numbers in the 80s the next day. I bet you could blend half a cup of that ice cream with soy milk as a late night snack as well. I love finding new ways to sneak in treats without spiking my sugar levels.

• Options
    Question for you guys - do you re-use lancets for more than one finger prick? I was really good the last time and used a fresh lancet every time but I've gotten a little lazy this time around and usually use the same lancet for a day of finger pricks. I keep my hands pretty clean though. Is this a bad idea?

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Quick question for the experts!

I fell asleep last night with a BG of 79 and without eating a snack after that check, woke up at 89.  Did I end up hurting myself by refusing to eat before bed?  The research I've done indicates that yes, it's possible, but that it could also be hormonal (duh!).... 

Are snacks that important?  Right now I'm scared to eat so I'm having a really hard time with them.
    Loss Blog (finally updated)

imageimage
    5 cycles of "TTC" - 3 intentional, 2 not so intentional.  5 BFPs.  My rainbow arrived 10/15/14.
    TFMC 08.02.13 at 19+ weeks. Everyday I grieve for my little Olive.

• Options

I change me lancet every one to two days but I always wash my hands before I prick.

@golfingdarwinfish:  I have to eat a snack for my numbers but my gd has been really hard to control.  Just yesterday I had to speak to the nurse about my numbers and she told me to actual reduce my fasting time to around 8 hours.  So last night I snacked at 11pm (instead of 10:30) and tested at 7am (instead of 7:30) and had much better numbers.

Everybody is going to have different results but that I what I have to do in order to have lower numbers.

But big AW, had another growth scan today and little boy is still growing at the 50th percentile (4.12lbs at 33.2 weeks) range so at least I know that my wacky numbers are not negatively impacting him which is a huge relief.  Also, today we had yet another  u/s tech go on about how big his cheeks are and how much hair he has.  It cracks me up!  I was bald until I was over a year old.

• Options

I fell asleep last night with a BG of 79 and without eating a snack after that check, woke up at 89.  Did I end up hurting myself by refusing to eat before bed?  The research I've done indicates that yes, it's possible, but that it could also be hormonal (duh!).... 

Are snacks that important?  Right now I'm scared to eat so I'm having a really hard time with them.
    @golfingdarwinfish, do you have an appointment with a nutritionist soon? I completely understand the hesitation to eat but you need calories for LO to grow. The link at the top of this post has really good diet suggestions. Just load up on the protein and watch the carbs and you should be fine. Please feel free to PM me if you need diet suggestions.

• Options
    ss265 said:

@golfingdarwinfish, do you have an appointment with a nutritionist soon? I completely understand the hesitation to eat but you need calories for LO to grow. The link at the top of this post has really good diet suggestions. Just load up on the protein and watch the carbs and you should be fine. Please feel free to PM me if you need diet suggestions.
    @ss265 I have seen the nutritionist; this entire diagnosis is just aggravating the eating disorder I've had for the majority of my life.  I've spent every day since diagnosis sobbing, and it's now triggering my anorexia (even though I'm not letting it and I am eating meals).  I'm going to have to increase sessions with my therapist.... ugh.

imageimage
    5 cycles of "TTC" - 3 intentional, 2 not so intentional.  5 BFPs.  My rainbow arrived 10/15/14.

• Options

@golfingdarwinfish, I am so sorry that you are going through this. FWIW, GD is not a death sentence - I had it with DS1, was diet controlled and he was born at full term at 7lb 3oz with no sugar issues at all.

I honestly have no experience with eating disorders but would things like tracking your food and having specific carb counts at each meal help? That way, you don't have to feel guilty about eating carbs as long as they are within the carb counts. I hope that you can get the help you need to get through this.

• Options
    ss265 said:

@golfingdarwinfish, I am so sorry that you are going through this. FWIW, GD is not a death sentence - I had it with DS1, was diet controlled and he was born at full term at 7lb 3oz with no sugar issues at all.

I honestly have no experience with eating disorders but would things like tracking your food and having specific carb counts at each meal help? That way, you don't have to feel guilty about eating carbs as long as they are within the carb counts. I hope that you can get the help you need to get through this.

No, it feeds the eating disorder beast because it feeds obsession and creates a fixation.  The food journaling exacerbates the ED symptoms and activities.

imageimage

• Options
    @golfingdarwinfish I think a small raise in your numbers between bedtime and morning could just be something as simple as meter imprecision. Sometimes I'll double check a reading after it is lower or higher than expected, and I'll get a number that is 10-15 points different than it was 30 seconds before.

I'm sorry you have to deal with GD on top of the ED. When I was first diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, I really went overboard with trying to control it through diet and exercise. I lost weight rapidly, even though at 125 lbs I didn't need to, and there was a rough period when I was taking Ambien instead of eating dinner. Thankfully I joined an amazing gym not too long after that and got more into bodybuilding-style workouts and had to adapt my eating for my new goals. It always helps me to be on a plan and to know what my meals and macros are going to be ahead of time so that I don't feel guilty about them. I can see how that could backfire, though. I'm lucky that I'm not more prone to that slippery slope.
  • Options
    @meagpt22‌ . I posted some tricks earlier in this thread. Hope it helps!
  • Options
    starla487 said:
    ss265 said:

No, it feeds the eating disorder beast because it feeds obsession and creates a fixation.  The food journaling exacerbates the ED symptoms and activities.

Let me put some feelers out. I know a few bloggers who have battled dia-bulimia (the act of skipping your insulin doses to purposely run higher so you don't have to eat so your body doesn't process food eaten and gain weight). But I'm sure there others with resources for other EDs as well.

ETA: Because I screwed up what diabulimia actually was.
    Thanks!  I am going to do a bit of googling later this evening - I didn't even think to search for blogs. 

I was able to eat 2 brown rice maki rolls last night (though I removed a lot of the excess rice) and stay around 100 2-hours post dinner, so I was relieved to see I can still eat my "safe" foods.  I walked for an hour this morning (my cardiologist finally gave me permission to walk!), and I am hoping that enables me to have a cappuccino as a snack.

For some reason I start to bug out if I see a # >100 on the meter 2-hours post meal, even though I know that's not a bad thing.  I'd like to start eating fruits like before, but I'm concerned because of their sugar content.  My nutritionist gave me a guide, but when I count out grapes or cherries it just sets off that obsession again.

Yesterday I had all the symptoms of low BG and could barely see my vision was so blurry. I tested and I was 90, but I ended up eating vanilla pumpkin seeds, a few bites of granola, and a few bits of a lemon noosa yogurt because despite the normal reading I felt terrible.  The feelings passed in about an hour, and my BG didn't spike either.  It was very odd and frustrating.

imageimage

• Options
    I broke down and gave into my craving of Kraft Mac & cheese, I feel so guilty. After almost 2 hours my number is 150. Suggestions on getting it down? (Getting on the treadmill now) and it seems no one explained, or I just don't understand, what happens if you have a high number now and then? I know long term numbers will produce a larger baby which could in turn lead to breathing issues.
  • Options
    ashes0219 said:

I broke down and gave into my craving of Kraft Mac & cheese, I feel so guilty. After almost 2 hours my number is 150. Suggestions on getting it down? (Getting on the treadmill now) and it seems no one explained, or I just don't understand, what happens if you have a high number now and then? I know long term numbers will produce a larger baby which could in turn lead to breathing issues.

Walking is great and also drink lots of water. That seems to help my numbers a bunch.
  • Options
    Thank you, ladies. I walked for a while and chugged water, finally tested and numbers are back down. I usually don't give in, but today I just couldn't help it.
  • Options
    So I found out Friday I failed the 3 hour test and am waiting for a call from an endocrinologist. I assume I may be put on some medication but at the very least a diet of some sort. Just like in the 1st tri I am having trouble with appetite as in I have none it's a struggle to even find stuff I can get myself to eat. I have a feeling this is going to make any diet tougher. Anyone else with GD have an appetite issue too? What did you do to help things? Thanks!
  • Options
    Ugh, my fasting numbers are going to kill me.  They hover in the 90s, and have gone above 95 (still in 90s though), which is my endo's cut off.  I don't get it.  I walk 30 - 45min after dinner every night and eat a high protein snack with no refined sugar.....  I really don't want to get meds for my fasting #.   :((  I'm going to e-mail my nutritionist today and see if she has any advice.

imageimage

• Options
    mickeydoo said:
    So I found out Friday I failed the 3 hour test and am waiting for a call from an endocrinologist. I assume I may be put on some medication but at the very least a diet of some sort. Just like in the 1st tri I am having trouble with appetite as in I have none it's a struggle to even find stuff I can get myself to eat. I have a feeling this is going to make any diet tougher. Anyone else with GD have an appetite issue too? What did you do to help things? Thanks!
    I have a difficult time eating but I really just force the food down telling myself I have to because it's not for me, it's for LO.

imageimage

• Options
    starla487 said:
    @mickeydoo Not GD related, but possibly pregnancy related? Your stomach gets all smooshed up against all your organs so by default, it's going to see smaller. I eat a LOT of small meals. Lots of snacks. But I haven't been able to just sit and eat a three course meal, like ever.

@golfingdarwinfish‌ I hear you on the fastings. Mine aren't true fastings though because I have hypoglycemia a few hours after getting to sleep. But on the nights I don't, I watch my CGM graph tick upwards at around 2:30 am for no reason... Other than my placenta hates me. :-) This is NOT your fault. At all. (Again... Placenta.) Sometimes our best efforts have to be supplemented. And then we really can only do our best. I would, however, for ruling out all possibilities, test at like 2 am for a few nights and see where your BGs are at that point. Also, I have blogs for you. I will PM you when I find a real computer again.
    Thank you so much, @starla487!   I'm now down to 52, then rechecked since it was so low and the reading was 70, so I feel like I may have to check my meter?  

I've been wondering if the peaks in am are actually due to somogyi rebounding.. I am going to take your advice of testing at 2am for a few days, thanks!

imageimage

• Options
    ss265 said:

@golfingdarwinfish, I apologize. I was trying to be helpful but obviously my suggestions were not good.

With the fasting numbers, I had high numbers when I first started on the diet but switching up my night time snack helped. What snack do you eat at night? The blog link at the top (first post) also recommends testing within 15 minutes of waking up since sugars can rise if you are active in the morning prior to testing.

• Options
    lrobi13lrobi13 member
    edited August 2014

I have learned that I can't eat peanut butter before bed anymore but one piece of toast (whole wheat) with a wedge of laughing cow cheese has helped me have better numbers.

Sorry that this gd is exacerbating your ed issues @golfingdarwinfish.  It is really a pain to always think about the numbers.  When DH asked me what I want for dinner sometimes it makes me so upset because I get so tired of thinking about it all the time.  I can see where this could make your issues flair up.

I find if I plan stuff out in advance (like almost the whole week ahead) it helps me out so I don't have to think about it every two hours.  If I just eat what is planned I only have to do the math once when planning and go on auto-pilot for a few days (as long as certain foods don't cause spikes and I have to switch them out).  It is very boring and routine but it is what has helped me out.

eta.  switch can to can't  :(

• Options

mickeydoo said:

I have a difficult time eating but I really just force the food down telling myself I have to because it's not for me, it's for LO.That's what I've been trying to do as well. I've been trying to at the very least have nutrition drinks to get the nutrients in.
  • Options
    starla487 said:

@mickeydoo Not GD related, but possibly pregnancy related? Your stomach gets all smooshed up against all your organs so by default, it's going to see smaller. I eat a LOT of small meals. Lots of snacks. But I haven't been able to just sit and eat a three course meal, like ever.

@golfingdarwinfish‌ I hear you on the fastings. Mine aren't true fastings though because I have hypoglycemia a few hours after getting to sleep. But on the nights I don't, I watch my CGM graph tick upwards at around 2:30 am for no reason... Other than my placenta hates me. :-) This is NOT your fault. At all. (Again... Placenta.) Sometimes our best efforts have to be supplemented. And then we really can only do our best. I would, however, for ruling out all possibilities, test at like 2 am for a few nights and see where your BGs are at that point. Also, I have blogs for you. I will PM you when I find a real computer again.

I definitely agree it's more pregnancy related rather than GD related. I guess I'm nervous how I will control the GD with a lack of appetite. I've been trying to eat well but it's hard when there is so little that appeals to me. Hoping the endocronologists office calls tomorrow; I just wanted to know exactly what's going on and get started on whatever it is I need to do.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"