April 2015 Moms
Options

Workouts and Fitness

Have you ladies thought about creating/maintaining your fitness routine throughout your pregnancy yet?
So far I'm doing an at home workout called PiYo (it's low impact yoga and Pilates, sped up a bit to give it a cardio feel) - I think I may follow the nutrition guidelines that comes with it, too. I'm saying this now... We'll see how I feel when I get queasier.
I find working out really helps me manage anxiety so I'd like to keep it up as long as I can. Any great prenatal workouts you'd recommend?

Re: Workouts and Fitness

• Options
    Becks613Becks613 member
    edited August 2014
    I've kept up my exercise routine, and made some changes so I don't over-do it. I do a weightlifting class twice a week, but have really reduced my weights. I don't do ab work at all anymore (even tho am only 6 wks along) and walk at least 30 mins a day. I'm hoping to add in some yoga, as well. I find exercise gives me more energy and reduces any anxiety I might have. Even a little walk is better than nothing!
  • Options
    I use to do a regular workout of 300 crunches focusing on 3 different areas of the abs and some lower ab exercises, I also ran every other day.  After getting pregnant I've been reconsidering the ab workout since its not a great idea to do through pregnancy.  I think instead I'll increase my running to everyday and focus on legs and arm exercises. Maybe some yoga since it's a good stretching/low-impact workout.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I mainly do weight training (reduced my weights) and walking.  I do 2 versions of squats, calve raises, workout the upper back and my arms.   I'm still doing planks which seem to relieve my lower back pain when it hurts. 
  • Options
    I've done yoga for years, and I intend to continue with some modifications through pregnancy.

AUGUST 2012 UNICORN

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm doing cardio and weight training and planks. I have noticed a stamina decerease big time when I'm at the gym it kind of sucks. 
    Married 3/5/10
    Started TTC Baby #1 6/2014
    BFP #1 7/27/2014 
    EDD 4/3/2014
    IT'S A GIRL! 10/16/14
    Team Pink!

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

I'm doing cardio and weight training and planks. I have noticed a stamina decerease big time when I'm at the gym it kind of sucks. 

I noticed that same stamina decrease this morning, and was surprised. It seems soon!
  • Options
    I alternate between a prenatal yoga DVD and Tracy Anderson's Pregnancy Project (a different DVD for each month of your pregnancy that's adjusted to what your body is doing).
  • Options
    I love running and strength training. I also have been biking more to alternate running. No ab workouts and LOTS of stretching before and after. Today I felt a little bit of muscle pulls (round ligament area) so stretched good after...all better :))
  • Options

I noticed that same stamina decrease this morning, and was surprised. It seems soon!
  • Options
    I do CrossFit and plan to continue. Really focused on my breathing but not so much decreasing weights. If you were doing it before, doctors say it's safe!
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

1st BPF-  6/20/09      EDD 3/15/10    MC 8/1/09
    2nd BPF- 12/28/09    EDD 9/7/10      Derick Andrew 9/9/10! Our little miracle 
    3rd BPF-  11/1/13      EDD 8/8/14      MC at 12 weeks 1/23/14 lost a little boy
    4th BPF-  8/10/14      EDD 4/21/14  
  • Options
    I do crossfit too! I plan on staying with it. Abdominal exercises are okay for the first trimester, but no ghd machine. Also lowered weights and am taking more rest times so I don't over exert myself. This is my 3rd pregnancy so I feel pretty confident in my routine. The key is to listen to your body, and don't try to push yourself.
  • Options
    www.crossfitmom.com is a great site for workouts and advice!
    Pregnancy Ticker

1st BPF-  6/20/09      EDD 3/15/10    MC 8/1/09
    2nd BPF- 12/28/09    EDD 9/7/10      Derick Andrew 9/9/10! Our little miracle 
    3rd BPF-  11/1/13      EDD 8/8/14      MC at 12 weeks 1/23/14 lost a little boy
    4th BPF-  8/10/14      EDD 4/21/14  
  • Options
    @somerandomchick‌ I'm going to continue my 21 Day Fix, until I can no longer do it. I don't see it being an issue- keep it up! :-??
  • Options
    @ejz98ric02‌ I LOVE the 21 Day Fix. The clean eating is great, and the workouts are challenging but do-able.
  • Options
    You are not supposed to get your heart rate up too high. You should be able to talk while working out. Also, your core temp shouldn't get above 100 degrees. It's different for everyone depending on their fitness level :)
  • Options
    I haven't really changed my exercise routine much yet but I'm only 5 weeks. I'm trying out water workout classes this week which are meant to be cardio but low impact. Plus continuing yoga/Pilates plus my weights class. Still going to zumba for now though :)
  • Options
    I also do Crossfit and run regularly. Good to see some other Crossfit moms here! I plan to continue, just not going crazy heavy. The only adjustment to running for now is that I need to take water with me. I hope to keep up my routine! My doctor is aware of my workout regimen and was very encouraging.
  • Options
    I was training for a half marathon that I was supposed to run 8/31. Obviously that won't be happening now! I have a trainer I train with twice a week and he is firm on not letting my heart rate get above 140 until I go to the doctor. I tried running after my BFP and my heart rate went to 180 within the first half mile. Decided to lay off the running until I go to the doctor next week. I've been walking and doing the elliptical. I didn't work out with my last pregnancy so I'm excited to see the difference with this one!
  • Options

I do PiYo as well and love it.  I also bike about 3-4 times a week.  I used to run but haven't ran since my BFP because my OB advised against it until my first appointment (due to early loss history).

With my first pregnancy I did kickboking until 25 weeks and then switched over to weights and the elliptical machine.  I was in the gym the day I gave birth.  I think it definitely helped with an easier delivery and recovery.

BabyFruit Ticker  

Little West #1: Born May 23, 2013

Little West #2: Due April 15, 2015

2U2 Fossil Mommy

• Options
    @somewheresublime86‌ I am also doing PiYo- I started like 4 weeks before finding out I was pregnant with baby 3. I am excited to continue with it but will just do some modifiers.

I have also been looking into the Tracy Anderson set. I had her post pregnancy workout but I never really got into it. I think I was just lazy and not wanting to workout at the time
  • Options
    I am or maybe soon to be was training for the Chicago Marathon in October.  Up to this point I have maintained my training plan since getting BFP last week.  I will seek advice from OB during Friday's appointment.  Up to this point I have not noticed any stamina or breathing issues, so as long as I feel good and OB clears I'll continue :-)
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I'm doing a sprint tri at the end of august then possibly an Olympic distance in September and a marathon in October. My dr is okay with that since I have been training steady and I am used to the workouts. I drink a lot more and walk when I need to.
  • Options
    I am also doing PiYo and just started back up with ChaLEAN Extreme (weight training). With my 1st pregnancy I struggled with weight gain and I was not active at all. This time around I want to have a very active pregnancy and a smoother delivery and recovery :). I would love to start up a pregnancy accountability group for everyone!
  • Options
    @emilyklooney‌ I love the idea of a fitness accountability group. I want to avoid a huge weight gain and keep things as slow and steady as I can.
  • Options
    I'm definitely continuing to work out min 5 days a week focusing on cardio. Also doing prenatal yoga! Light weights are a must to keep you toned and strong :)
  • Options
    Hey everyone- I'm currently pg with my first through IVF, I'm so afraid to mess anything up in this first trimester. My doc is pretty conservative and calls for NO exercise during first tri (I know, I know, I should just listen to doc). BUT I've always been active and it just doesn't feel right in my gut to sit around doing nothing for the next two months. Anyone of you pg through IVF and get different advice/ have a workout plan you recommend?
  • Options
    love the fitness accountability group idea too :)
  • Options
    @jmhansen11‌ if anything just go walking or cycling :) include some up hills!
  • Options
    Are you seriously suggesting pp go against MD's orders? Also, cycling isn't a good idea while pg due to possible balance issues and common pg symptoms include light headedness and dizziness. A fall could be catastrophic. PP- is there a reason your doc has put you on rest? IE previous loss or medical issues? I find it hard that an OB would recommend zero exercise for the whole first tri if there wasn't a reason. Exercise has been proven to be beneficial for growing baby and mom. Some women are the exception to this because exercise, in any quantity, could result in a loss due to prior health issues.

After my first loss my OB said no exercise until first ultrasound at 8 weeks just to make sure everything was ok.  He said no more than walking.  I would error on the side of caution if it were me.  He asked me if it was worth having an issue with my baby just to get exercise in and put it in prespective a little bit for me.

Agree with @MOtownMama on this @jmhansen11‌.  Not cool to go against Dr orders for any reason. 

BabyFruit Ticker  

Little West #1: Born May 23, 2013

Little West #2: Due April 15, 2015

2U2 Fossil Mommy

• Options
    You are not supposed to get your heart rate up too high. You should be able to talk while working out. Also, your core temp shouldn't get above 100 degrees. It's different for everyone depending on their fitness level :)
    Actually, HR is a poor indicator of exercise intensity in pregnant women. The physiological changes that take place during pregnancy alters heart rate. However, the "talk test" is an excellent suggestion.
    This. HR in general is really hard to accurately monitor and proper levels depend on each individual. Most important is to stay super hydrated, and listen to your body. If it starts to feel like too much, it probably is

BabyFetus Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    @jmhansen11 - I also am pregnant for the first time via IVF.  My doctor provided similar instructions - absolutely no aerobic exercise.  The investment (financially and emotionally) in IVF make me follow the orders to a "T".  I did clarify the exercise restriction yesterday, and my nurse said to avoid anything involving jumping.  Hope that helps!
  • Options
    I'm going to continue walking and do the modify exercises of my 21 day fix. I have been doing them since June.
  • Options
    I ordered Piyo before I found out I was pregnant. It came two days after my BFP. Thinking about opening the box and trying it out. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    jmhansen11jmhansen11 member
    edited August 2014

schwabab said:

Are you seriously suggesting pp go against MD's orders? Also, cycling isn't a good idea while pg due to possible balance issues and common pg symptoms include light headedness and dizziness. A fall could be catastrophic.

PP- is there a reason your doc has put you on rest? IE previous loss or medical issues?

I find it hard that an OB would recommend zero exercise for the whole first tri if there wasn't a reason. Exercise has been proven to be beneficial for growing baby and mom. Some women are the exception to this because exercise, in any quantity, could result in a loss due to prior health issues.

After my first loss my OB said no exercise until first ultrasound at 8 weeks just to make sure everything was ok.  He said no more than walking.  I would error on the side of caution if it were me.  He asked me if it was worth having an issue with my baby just to get exercise in and put it in prespective a little bit for me.

Agree with @MOtownMama on this @jmhansen11‌.  Not cool to go against Dr orders for any reason. 

I got pregnant with IVF. My doctor also recommended 3 days of strict bed rest (lying flat, only up for bathroom etc) after transfer, which is of course, a pretty dated recommendation. Besides that it was IVF pregnancy, I have no risks, and only 29. I know what you mean about following doc orders, it just seems to counterintuitive to everything you hear about exercise being beneficial to healthy pregnancy. I'm definitely only walking until I see heartbeat on u/a then may ask doc again about prenatal yoga. I just wondered if anyone else had received this same advice.

• Options
    I'm an avid runner and plan on continuing throughout my pregnancy. I've been reading Runner World's guide to Running and Pregnancy. Would highly recommend it to anyone who wants to run through their pregnancy! Went for a run today and felt pretty good :)
  • Options

I ordered Piyo before I found out I was pregnant. It came two days after my BFP. Thinking about opening the box and trying it out. 

Lots of the PiYo workouts seem pretty pregnancy safe to me. Try Align, Lower And Upper Body Define and Sweat. There's a woman doing modifiers for all of them.
  • Options
    For those who have been told not to exercise due to complications/potential complications, in my first pregnancy (ended in m/c at 9.5 weeks, but was never looking good) I was spotting from about 7 weeks and was therefore told no strenuous exercise. I found it very helpful to continue going to the actual gym just to keep up my daily routine, but once there, all I did was non-strenuous, laying down stretching. For my mental health, continuing my 'routine' of just going to the gym on schedule was incredibly helpful. This pregnancy I have not have any issues, so I have maintained my daily exercise routine, which is a blend of cardio, cross-training and physique 57 exercises (I am 7.5 weeks now). Listen to your body, though! If it needs rest, take the day off and as others have said, above all, listen to your doctor!!

Me: 34 DH: 36

Married since 11/11/11
    BFP#1 10/5/13 MC 11/11/13 @9wks 3d
    BFP#2 7/20/14 EDD 4/4/15

• Options
    I'm an avid runner, but i have found (at week 5) i'm starting to get some lovely joint pain! So i'm sticking to the elliptical and dog walks. For strength, i am sticking mostly to what i did before, since my doctor said i could once i got pregnant. Only thing is, like some ladies mentioned, i'm skipping crunches. (Still doing short planks for general core strength). Apart from the articles i've read about crunches not being safe, in a few months a six pack is going to become a bit irrelevant anyway... Lol. Happy exercising!
    Together since 5.16.05 (16 & 19yo)
    Married since 3.6.10 (21 & 24yo)
    Baby Olivia coming 4.14.15 <3 (26 & 29yo)

January Siggy Challenge: Fitness Fails

• Options
    Weight related: any other weight watchers ladies here? I was successful tracking for a year, losing about 30 lbs- but I probably still have a bit to go before I reach my "goal." Obviously weight loss is out the window with pregnancy which is fine- but has anyone had luck continuing to track while pregnant for maintaining only? I just don't want to overdo it, using the baby as an excuse to fall of the wagon- my healthy pregnancy weight gain is 20 lbs. I've seen a nursing option in settings which bumps up your daily points a bit- is that a reasonable increase for pregnancy? I've combed the Internet briefly and could only find super old threads that I'm not sure are still relevant, as I know WW has revamped itself in the past year or two.
  • Options
    I was doing Insanity prior to finding out I was pregnant, and have since switched to T25 (except the ab DVDs) because it has a low-impact modifier. I also like to run on the weekends. I plan to continue for as long as I can. I did the same thing during my last pregnancy and just listened to my body; it definitely told me when to slow down. Just pay attention to how you feel and adjust accordingly.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"