March 2014 Moms

Boobie Tuesday (EBF/EP/milk check in)

2»

Re: Boobie Tuesday (EBF/EP/milk check in)

• i've been meaning to do this but haven't been able to til now: here goes!

1.  Intro.  Who are you and LO's.  
    I am Roxanna AKA roxyv111582 and my LO is Lucas, who turned 5 months on on tuesday

2. How's the journey of breastfeeding so far?   Did you have to  pump, nipple sheild etc
    Lucas has been exclusively breastfed pretty much since birth except for the very beginning when he had Jaundice and his billiruben (sp) was rising we had to give Lucas formula for a few days to flush that out, but that was only about 3/4 days.

3.  Current issues (maybe one of us can help!)
     i've been lucky enough not to have any issues, i have been home since he was born i lost my job while on maternity leave so i've been home breastfeeding and he goes where i go. i am looking for work and prob will be returning to work in a month or so, at that time hopefully there aren't any pumping issues. I am more worried about Lucas not taking a bottle since he's always been at the breast, i think we've given him breast milk in a bottle maybe 5 times in 5 months, i do have a small stash for emergencies.

4.  What's your favorite part about BF/EP?
    the bonding, i am sleep deprived (he's up 2/3 times a night to feed) i have to wear ugly bras and pads so i don't leak, i feel like i'm always frumpy in yoga pants and t-shirts (since i hardly go out) but it's all worth it when he's latched on and just feeding, it makes me so relaxed (sometimes i fall asleep while breastfeeding) it's just an amazing feeling.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • LMAO at pocket pussies.
    Live the pic @jenstwins. We just need machetes with us when we NIP!
    @lincbeesmom‌ that's really awesome that breastfeeding went much better 5-8 weeks in and you've been able to EBF.
    @babycaps hope the new shield works well!
    I'm meeting up with girls from my breastfeeding support group. One of her LOs has a bunch of allergies. So I made a dairy free egg free cake. It tastes... OK. Its the thought that counts right??

• @Sanibel21‌ she'll probably be so happy you thought of her LO's allergies that it will taste like heaven!
  • I'm late to this.

Who are you and LO's.
    I'm Amanda and my LO is Ariana.

How's the journey of breastfeeding so far? Did you have to pump, nipple sheild etc
    It's going really great so far! She just turned 5 months on the 5th and we are still EBF which I am very grateful for. I did have to use a nipple shield a few times on my left side in the beginning though. I very rarely pump.

Current issues (maybe one of us can help!)
    No issues at the moment!

What's your favorite part about BF/EP?
    We mostly do the side lying position so when I lay Ariana down, she rolls to the side and opens her mouth and gets excited. It's the cutest thing.

Anniversary Pregnancy Ticker
  • Side lying nursing is wonderful! It took us a while to get the hang of it- it was really hard to do with the nipple shield, but now we're finally off of it, it's so much easier.

@Sanibel21‌- the thought definitely counts! I try to offer things to people with food allergies/vegetarian etc that they can actually eat, and they are always appreciative because a lot of people aren't that thoughtful. I'm sure she'll be happy!
    Kinley Diane
    Born 2/4/14
    Weighing 6 lbs 10 oz and 20 inches long

• @bennieangel‌ hmmm I'd avoid bringing the pump unless you know you'll get engorged. Otherwise - go for it and make sure you just keep the milk on ice. I'd say you're good to go.
  • Totally. Especially if you've never had a problem. I just like packing light (and camping is never that sanitary for me ... Dust) I bet you'll be fine with the manual. Again - assuming you're not ready to explode when it's time for a pump session. ;)
  • babycaps said:

1. I'm babycaps ;) and LO is M!
    2. It's been a good journey, not w/o it's stresses.  Between poor latch, tight jaw, tight frenulum, nipple shield, around the clock pumping, 2 full weeks of bottle feeding, we were able to transition to EBF week 3.  I also went back to pumping to build a stash but LO really only gets bottles when I'm not around...until this past week. 
    3. Current challenge is that I'm back to work and last week my supply tanked.  And LO is NOT satisfied in the evenings w/o a top off bottle.  So I am working to build my supply back up.  I haven't started Fenugreek yet, but it should be in the mail today.  With powerpumping and one added pump at work, my supply is increasing a bit.  But evenings remain a challenge.  LO is also very smart and knows that the bottle is easier!  But he does still love the boob.  Challenge: Getting supply back up.  What would you do?  I have the herbs or I have Domeperidone as well!  Which would you go for?LO consumed 20oz by bottle yesterday and breastfed 3x!  He's a little piggy of a man.  I pumped exactly 20oz.  My challenge is: Correct amount of supply at the wrong time of the day!  This is a problem on weekends!
    4. My favorite is how fast and easy it is now.  I am lucky I can NIP w/o great difficulty as I am small chested and don't show much.  I love not having to worry about warming up, measuring, or carrying bottles anywhere we go.  Although we have now decided that we will always bring a little extra milk with us anywhere we go since my supply is decreasing a little. 

I was having a supply issue. I did fenugreek for a bit but it wasn't noticeably helping. I started drinking THREE TIMES as much water. I have one of those really fun long curly straws and I drink a gallon jug of spring water per day, plus a couple regular size bottles. I also stash water and snacks and granola or oatmeal bars everywhere I pump - my bedroom, my office, my living room...and eat and drink as I pump. It increased my supply by 10 oz per day.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • 1. Intro. Who are you and LO's.

Ali and my LO is Catherine. She is 5 months old.

2. How's the journey of breastfeeding so far? Did you have to pump, nipple sheild etc.

It's been rough. I'll save you my rapid onset pre-eclampsia emergency c section, magnesium sulfate sob story - but breastfeeding was tough from the get go. I really wanted LO to have the milk though. So I am an EPer. I stopped formula supplementation around 6 weeks, and she's had exclusively breastmilk since. Everytime she turned 3 months, 4 months, then 5 months old, growing and thriving on my milk - it was a silent victory for me.

3. Current issues (maybe one of us can help!)

I hate pumping? I saw someone was a UX person - I do a lot of UX and HCI and I seriously have a notebook at my pumping station where I've brainstormed ideas for better pumps!

4. What's your favorite part about BF/EP? Just seeing her thrive. Also it is cheaper.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Ahh! @sopranoali‌ you're my people! I'm an IA. ;) hence my organizational habits.
  • Does anyone donate breastmilk? We just had a bank open up nearby and it says they give it to premature babies in NICUs, @babycaps do you have any info/insight on this? I want to do it, but am daunted by the 150 ounce requirement. 

• I want to donate. I'm assuming freezer milk is required since that's a ton of milk. The phone number to get info is only on during weird hours so I have to keep trying.
    I'm also waiting until after out ttc window is past (in case of a supply issues).
  • babycaps said:

1. I'm babycaps ;) and LO is M!
    2. It's been a good journey, not w/o it's stresses.  Between poor latch, tight jaw, tight frenulum, nipple shield, around the clock pumping, 2 full weeks of bottle feeding, we were able to transition to EBF week 3.  I also went back to pumping to build a stash but LO really only gets bottles when I'm not around...until this past week. 
    3. Current challenge is that I'm back to work and last week my supply tanked.  And LO is NOT satisfied in the evenings w/o a top off bottle.  So I am working to build my supply back up.  I haven't started Fenugreek yet, but it should be in the mail today.  With powerpumping and one added pump at work, my supply is increasing a bit.  But evenings remain a challenge.  LO is also very smart and knows that the bottle is easier!  But he does still love the boob.  Challenge: Getting supply back up.  What would you do?  I have the herbs or I have Domeperidone as well!  Which would you go for?LO consumed 20oz by bottle yesterday and breastfed 3x!  He's a little piggy of a man.  I pumped exactly 20oz.  My challenge is: Correct amount of supply at the wrong time of the day!  This is a problem on weekends!
    4. My favorite is how fast and easy it is now.  I am lucky I can NIP w/o great difficulty as I am small chested and don't show much.  I love not having to worry about warming up, measuring, or carrying bottles anywhere we go.  Although we have now decided that we will always bring a little extra milk with us anywhere we go since my supply is decreasing a little. 

I was having a supply issue. I did fenugreek for a bit but it wasn't noticeably helping. I started drinking THREE TIMES as much water. I have one of those really fun long curly straws and I drink a gallon jug of spring water per day, plus a couple regular size bottles. I also stash water and snacks and granola or oatmeal bars everywhere I pump - my bedroom, my office, my living room...and eat and drink as I pump. It increased my supply by 10 oz per day.
    You are my hero. This is exactly what I need to do. I know I don't drink enough water and I just need to make it more of a priority.
  • 1.  Courtney, LO is Noah.  

2. Breastfeeding was awesome. Milk actually came in pre-birth, so he was eating right out of the oven. Used a nipple shield to EBF until he decided around 3 months old that breast feeding was too much work and he was over it. Now we EP and it's been going great. Supply dipped a bit and I was worried we'd have to supplement, but with regular pumping, booby balls and some nasty tea, we're kicking butt and actually building a stash!

3.  No current issues with feeding... he eats 35oz a day on average and is only in the high 30s for height and weight percentile, so we're adding 2 tbsp of rice cereal to his first and last feeds of the day, per ped instructions. But he's a super healthy and happy little dude! He doesn't really nap during the day - maybe three or four 30 minute catnaps - but he's been sleeping through the night since 9 weeks and I won't argue with that. My house is a mess, though!

4.  I sometimes miss the snuggling that EBF lends itself to, but we still get lots of cuddles in and it's really nice to be able to plan things around a pumping schedule. I do feel a bit like a single-serve dairy farm, but such is life. :)
  • @babycaps and @bennieangel

Shoot I am just seeing this! They're a form of lactation cookie, really. Super delish and they've helped a ton. Recipe:

1 cup oats
    1/2 cup flax seed
    1/2 cup peanut butter
    2 tb brewer's yeast
    1/3 cup honey
    dash of vanilla

add whatever else you'd like ( i add choc chips and coconut shavings)

roll into balls (add a littlw water if necessary)

refrigerate

YUMM!!
  • 1. Intro. Who are you and LO's.

Khope and my LO is I. She is 5.5 months old.

2. How's the journey of breastfeeding so far? Did you have to pump, nipple sheild etc.

It's been hard for us. She had tongue and lip tie that wasn't diagnosed till 11.5weeks. So I've had huge mastitis, clogged duct and oversupply issues. Since getting her tongue snipped, she's back on me 100% (and now won't even look at a bottle!!! Aghhh!) but we've had no issues (other than still oversupply so we donate!)

3. Current issues (maybe one of us can help!)

Still have oversupply, but we are dealing with it and slowly but surely it is getting better :) she also won't take a bottle and I go back to work in 3weeks.... Should be fun for the childminder!

4. What's your favorite part about BF/EP?

It's nice to see her thriving and doing well. I'm similar to others - the smiles and cuddles are THE BEST!!!! My husband sometimes watches when she's being sweet and coming off every few mouthfuls for a big old smile :) he loves it! And she of course laps up the attention :)

Not going to lie, pretty sure I'd not go through this again unless I had a premature baby (tummy more delicate and a greater benefit from being close to you for heat, heartbeat regulation, etc). FOR ME, the benefits don't outweigh what I put myself through at the start. I was really ill and suffered from exhaustion to the point of collapsing trying to be super mum and make sure she had breast milk. That's idiotic and I won't do that again. For the next, if it doesn't happen within the first few weeks, they're getting formula! I'm down with either, but I had it in my head breast was always best and it's not.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"