December 2014 Moms
Options

NBR: Cat hair solutions?

I have a dark grey fabric couch set in my living room and I canNOT get all the cat hair off of it! I've googled remedies like using a rubber glove, damp washcloth, etc.. The vacuum only takes some of it off so I'm pretty sure the rest is weaved into the fabric. The only thing that's gotten close to removing most of it is using strips of packing tape and doing small sections (but seriously... Who wants to do that every time??). I cover it with blankets now when nobody is over to save some effort but I don't want all this cat hair around when I have a newborn. Maybe I should just embrace the fuzzy couch and pretend it's another cat?
image  imageimage

D14 mama with an O14 baby.

Re: NBR: Cat hair solutions?

• Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    Coming from someone with 5 cats... lol. I have a couple solutions that have lowered the visible hair on my furniture and curtains considerably! 

1. Get a scratching post they can lay on, and lose their shit. They'll spend a hell of a lot less time on your sofa.
    2. Buy a good brush, not just a "good" brush, but one that will last you years and costs a little more. Brush them at least every 3 days. Write it on the calender if you have to.
    3. Use unscented baby wipes on them weekly (or even bi-weekly) to get straggler hairs (reduces allergens too, yay!)
    4. Scotch fur fighter + a good vacuum (dyson animal is A+++) will get the deep down hairs stuck in the couch. 
    Yes, I do this. It actually works. Nothing will stop them from lounging all over my area rug, so I deal.
    first time mom
    BOY  07/12/14
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Slaps said:
    Have you tried used dryer sheets?

No, I don't think I've tried those. Adding to the list. Thanks! @courtd2‌ Great ideas! I've never heard of the scotch fur fighter so I'll have to pick some up. Too bad we can't vacuum the cats themselves...
    image  imageimage

D14 mama with an O14 baby.
  • Options
    We got the FURminator for brushing and it is awesome. Does a better job than other brushes.

• Options
    Have you considered slip covering your couch? Then you could just take off the slipcover and wash it. Might work while LO is tiny at least - when they get a little older and start getting into their own dirt anyway you could pitch it.

I say this, but I totally won't slipcover mine (I have a dog), I hate the look. I do keep a blanket draped over the back so I can wash that, though. Same idea, less surface area...
    D14 November, because I am finally not on mobile, how I feel in 3rd tri:

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I have blankets on our couches (same color as the couch) that I wash every few days. I also have a Pledge fabric sweeper that is amazing. I use that on the dining room chairs.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Anniversary

TTC since 2008
    Dh:34, no issues.  Me:31, Endo, slightly hypothyroid, deformed ovary, paracentric inversion.
    4 Gonal-F, Cetrotide, HcG, Crinone +TI cycles= all BFN
    Lap in 2012 to remove large unresolving cyst discovered endo and double lobed ovary.
     6 Gonal-F, Cetrotide, HcG, Crinone IUI cycles= All BFN,
    1st IVF w/ICSI- June '13 Antagonist: Gonal-F, Menopur, Ganirelix, HcG, Estradiol, Crinone= 7 retrieved, 4 mature, 1 unfertilized, 2 abnormally fertilized, 1 normally fertilized.  2DT of only embryo and our miracle BFP.
    Our beloved baby boy was born sleeping Oct. 13, 2013 due to pROM/IC/Uterine infection.
    2nd IVF w/ICSI- Feb. '14 EPP/lupron/antagonist: Estrace, lupron, HGH, Gonal-F, Menopur, HcG, PIO, lovenox, doxy/dex.=21 retrieved, 16 mature, 15 fertilized!!  5dt of 1 blast/ 6 frozen. BFP!  Beta 1 9dp5dt:83.9  Beta 2: 11dp5dt: 145.2  Beta 3  14dp5dt: 497  Please be our sticky rainbow baby!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

imageimage
  • Options
    One of my cats sheds like CRAZY and my boyfriend's nephew is allergic to cats. Before he comes over we furminate the cats, vacuum, lint roll, and spray everything with the febreze allergy reducer. It helps a lot. The lint roller will get the remaining hair off after you vacuum quicker than tape. And if you use the furminater on your kitty every few weeks it helps get a lot of their extra hair off.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"