Stay at Home Moms
Options

UO Thursday

Please tell me it is Thursday today. Right? I has an UO but i can't remember it anymore. :(
Give me some drama. I'm not feeling great and Ds is having another day of tv.

Twins:BabyFruit TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: UO Thursday

• Options
    I had an employee just invite us to her wedding reception for the last two hours, so for drinks but not dinner or the ceremony. I was totally cool with it! We went out to eat somewhere really good, then went to the hotel to offer our well wishes and have a cocktail on them. Perfect!
    DD - 12/31/13
  • Options
    Kimbus22 said:
    Here's another wedding one:

It's ridiculously rude to invite people to a "party" for the wedding that are not invited to the actual wedding/reception.  And to send them your registry information.  Especially when said registry is basically "Here.  We want to go to Italy for our honeymoon but spent all our money on the wedding you're not actually invited to.  So instead, please pay for a plane ticket, or a meal at this restaurant, or a night at this hotel, etc."

Brought to you by my step cousin.
    People do that??? So crazy.....and rude! I'd have a hard time going to that, let alone giving money.

I was invited to a wedding reception once but not the actual wedding.....the couple I guess only had their parents and a couple other people for the wedding ceremony but then a party afterwards. It was thrown together pretty quickly (never heard this friend was engaged but got a "surprise" wedding reception invitation just a couple weeks before the wedding) b/c she was KU....so I guess she wanted fewer details to plan?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

feffany said:
    I have no issue with people eloping and then having an after-the-fact party some weeks later.

BOXED IN!!!!

I actually think eloping is super romantic....I would have done it but my mom would have disowned me (only sort of kidding). My wedding was awesome, though. :)
  • Options
    This is not a UO here, but it came up this week.

Sending one's child to public school does not mean you as a parent have no involvement in their social or educational well being. DS is 2.5 so I have a while before K starts, but cousin in law homeschools both her kids and was saying something about how she is so thankful she knows exactly what they are learning and blahblahblah.

Oh, another one, I think the rules for age of enrollment in K should be the same for homeschool and public school. For example, DS has a Nov bday. He will not be able to go to K until he is already 5, almost 6. I'm ok with that, actually. The same cousin above has a 4 year old that will be 5 in mid Sept. And he is enrolled in K (homeschool) and starts in the next couple weeks. I know they have already been doing "school" so I guess it doesn't really matter. But the cutoff here is 9/1.
    Because you're mine, I walk the line....
    Landry Mark: 11/5/11
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    cjcouple said:
    feffany said:
    If people's trick to making the wedding smaller is cutting 50+ kids, then I'd say maybe the problem is that you're inviting too many people to begin with.
    what??? Are you drunk? 

So cutting family members is ok but cutting kids is not? how does that even make sense?

Yes! Let's have another feffy/cj throw-down!

j/k ;)
  • Options
    JMC11511 said:
    Oh, another one, I think the rules for age of enrollment in K should be the same for homeschool and public school. For example, DS has a Nov bday. He will not be able to go to K until he is already 5, almost 6. I'm ok with that, actually. The same cousin above has a 4 year old that will be 5 in mid Sept. And he is enrolled in K (homeschool) and starts in the next couple weeks. I know they have already been doing "school" so I guess it doesn't really matter. But the cutoff here is 9/1.
    So what you are saying is that if you have a child who is academically and/or socially ready to go to kindergarden, you should hold them back because they are younger than the kids who meet an arbitrary (and yes it is arbitrary given that each state has the option to make up their own cut off dates) date?  

What is the difference then, with holding back a child then?

How is that doing what is best for your child?  
    file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
  • Options
    I don't like the Barn Door look inside a house
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    feffany said:

Brought to you by distant cousin-in-law who sent us a save the date but no wedding invitation and getting married this weekend:

Unless you're having a straight-up cocktail reception or a late-night party, I totally disagree with adult-only wedding receptions. I get people want to have a grown-up time and that's their prerogrative, but for a regular banquet hall wedding? I just don't see the point in prohibiting kids.

No kids at my wedding except my niece it was perfect and amazingly fun. I don't think kids belong everywhere and I believe my reception was as fun as it was because there were no kids
  • Options
    Oh and no cost issue at all just didn't want kids.
  • Options
    Ah, weddings. I hate drink tickets. No alcohol for religious or recovery reasons is fine but don't give me a fucking raffle ticket with your wedding date on it so I can go redeem it for a free beer. I always feel like a little kid like "here's my two drink tickets because they think a 'responsible' adult shouldn't have more than 2 drinks in a night." It's worse than a cash bar. And what happens if you forget your drink tickets?

Bah humbug, I'm in a terrible mood today. Why do weddings make people so crazy? It's one day, get over yourself.
  • Options
    amy052006 said:

Oh, and I don't care what the age restrictions are for home schooling. At that point, the disservice is already done to the poor kid.

I wish I could love this a thousand times
  • Options
    My friends have no issue with their kids not being invited everywhere in fact it's probably why we are friends.
  • Options
    feffany said:

Brought to you by distant cousin-in-law who sent us a save the date but no wedding invitation and getting married this weekend:

Unless you're having a straight-up cocktail reception or a late-night party, I totally disagree with adult-only wedding receptions. I get people want to have a grown-up time and that's their prerogrative, but for a regular banquet hall wedding? I just don't see the point in prohibiting kids.

@feffany: wait wait wait... You got a save the date but then didn't actually get invited to the wedding? Wtf?

• Options
    feffany said:
    I have no issue with people eloping and then having an after-the-fact party some weeks later.

This is what we did and it was perfect! On the subject of sending kids early or late to school: I think people who send their kid to school early bc their snowflake is so advanced or so verbal or so whatever are missing the big picture. Your child has 12 years of school ahead and what may seem mature now will not be mature in 9th grade. I've watched my little sister struggle bc my SM was so convinced she was a child genius (she's not), and now as a sophomore, she is emotionally behind all of her peers and is isolated because of it.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    If i am playing at the park with Ds (like in the sand pit) and you child comes over to play that is great. But i am not a free babysitting service! You best be sticking around to watch your child. Apparently this is pretty common around here now that we go to the park everyday.

• Options
    amy052006 said:

If i am playing at the park with Ds (like in the sand pit) and you child comes over to play that is great. But i am not a free babysitting service! You best be sticking around to watch your child. Apparently this is pretty common around here now that we go to the park everyday.

Duuuuude. Someone would come here bitching if I was helicoptering the sand box!

Lol I know. But it was a huge sand pit and I was in the mood to play... With my child. When he was ready to go on the slides i happily sat on a bench. :)

• Options
    Kimbus22 said:

If anyone wants to have the no skittles for poor people argument, they have a 9 page thread going on BOTB.

This reminds me of a customer at work the other day. She wanted to spend $200 for the food bank. She was at $150 worth of food and didn't know what else to buy. I suggested pads/tampons, shampoo, deortarent etc. Nope she wasn't about to do that... That stuffs to expensive and she wanted the most quantity of items for her money. Ummm... So this is about you looking good bringing boxes of stuff not about the actual food bank users needs. Right. Bring on the skittles but they all need to be unclean.

• Options
    cjcouple said:
    In my experience anyway. Our school does not take classroom volunteers on a regular basis and it took me a long time to get used to not being able to be involved and "in the know".  I don't know what they do all day. You don't get weekly reports and lesson plans. I know when his specials are and a rough daily schedule but really all I see are the couple sheets of homework and the corrected papers that come home (which is usually way after the fact and they have moved on by then).I ask my DS and he says "I don't know...nothing" which obviously is not true.  

I mean I know what his spelling words each week and his fluency and what math is happening but it's not much. So your friend kind of has a point.  

One day in first grade DS asked to go to China.....I asked what is in china and he said the ice castle.  I had to google and sure enough, there was an ice castle.  I never saw a thing come home about it. 

It definitely varies school to school and even teacher to teacher.  Last year DD#2's teacher sent a weekly email detailing the lesson plan and what would be going on that week.  Even without that, I've had a general idea of what's going on in the classroom each week.  Our school is pretty good about communicating with the parents.  I also have girls which I've found makes a HUGE difference in the amount of accurate information that comes home from school..  
  • Options
    cjcouple said:

JMC11511 said:

This is not a UO here, but it came up this week.

Sending one's child to public school does not mean you as a parent have no involvement in their social or educational well being. DS is 2.5 so I have a while before K starts, but cousin in law homeschools both her kids and was saying something about how she is so thankful she knows exactly what they are learning and blahblahblah.

ok, I am on board with what you are saying but just for clarification on how involved in the school you are, it's not much tbh. 

In my experience anyway. Our school does not take classroom volunteers on a regular basis and it took me a long time to get used to not being able to be involved and "in the know".  I don't know what they do all day. You don't get weekly reports and lesson plans. I know when his specials are and a rough daily schedule but really all I see are the couple sheets of homework and the corrected papers that come home (which is usually way after the fact and they have moved on by then).I ask my DS and he says "I don't know...nothing" which obviously is not true.  

I mean I know what his spelling words each week and his fluency and what math is happening but it's not much. So your friend kind of has a point.  

One day in first grade DS asked to go to China.....I asked what is in china and he said the ice castle.  I had to google and sure enough, there was an ice castle.  I never saw a thing come home about it. 

I totally understand. I meant things like, helping with homework, still reading/doing other fun, educational things, volunteering for PTA etc. I sometimes feel like my cousin in law things I'm sending my kid off to school and will no longer have any involvement in his education, even at home. That's simply not true.
  • Options
    canned artichoke hearts are good too

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    JMC11511JMC11511 member
    edited August 2014
    Ilumine said:

JMC11511 said:

So what you are saying is that if you have a child who is academically and/or socially ready to go to kindergarden, you should hold them back because they are younger than the kids who meet an arbitrary (and yes it is arbitrary given that each state has the option to make up their own cut off dates) date?  

What is the difference then, with holding back a child then?

How is that doing what is best for your child?  

I see what you're saying, and had not thought of it that way. There are ways around the arbitrary age, I think. It involves an appeal and such. Like I said, DS is 2.5 so I'm not really concerned about it right away. It came up in conversation with my cousin in law and she said that her 4 year old met the cutoff and that DS probably would too. I looked it up and he would need to be 5 before 9/1. His birthday is 11/5. I don't think it would be of benefit to him or to the other students in his class to send him to kinder as a 4 year old. Of course, that opinion could change once he's actually 4 and we are at that point.

To be fair, my cousin in law does HS through a charter school. So there's a curriculum, and their progress is monitored with the lead teacher at the charter. It's more the comments that paint public school in a negative light that get to me. Public school is not without problems, but I do not think that even with my training and educational background I am equipped to give my child(ren) a well rounded education. Plus the social aspect and being with peers, etc. cannot always be made up for with playgroups and what have you.

• Options
    They all have kids and now a few have grand kids (in some instances I am closer with my second cousins than with my first cousins). I had a 21 and over wedding or otherwise I was looking at 250+ person reception. I wanted to avoid a large wedding and still ended up with 150 people (which is considered small in my family). The only children in attendance were my nieces and nephews. But now that I think about most weddings I attend are adult only except for nieces and nephews.
    If you are discussing your cousin's children, they are your first cousins once removed. Your children and their children are second cousins.

I have no UO this week that I can remember.
  • Options
    Kimbus22 said:

I think canned vegetables are nasty...except I love creamed corn. I never eat it anymore but I love it so and it's totally the nastiest of all canned veggies.

I hate canned vegetables too.  Except beets. I like canned beets.

:-&  All canned vegetables are gross.  Beets taste like dirt.
  • Options
    feffany said:
    I had 50 people and like, 10 kids. Obviously a lot of people got cut. It was literally the closest friends and family.
    Yea....I'm half Greek.  Do you know how many people are included in 'closest friends and family' when you're Greek?  Like a million.  Everyone is a cousin.  

I could care less if there are kids at a wedding or not.  We had a few, but we don't have a lot of kids in the family in the first place....so there's that.  I'm a weird in between age, so either everyone's kids are adults, or they're teenagers.  
  • Options
    CnAmom said:
    I still think hummus is disgusting.

:-O

what?!

texture thing?
  • Options
    cjcouple said:

CnAmom said:

I still think hummus is disgusting.

have you tried flavored one? I don't care for plain at all. Roasted red pepper is my fav

I like the regular one. But when my grocery store has the red pepper one i stock up. So yummy! I also learned yesterday it helps you poop when constipated.

• Options
    I like my birthday a lot, and I look forward to it for like the month before it happens. I don't understand not celebrating, or pretending it doesn't exist. You get one day a year, enjoy it!
  • Options
    feffany said:
    Here's one, though I doubt it will get much of a response. I am legit pissed that they are making an Into the Woods movie. We all saw what happened with Les Miserables.
    I actually liked Les Miz....wasn't the hugest fan of how they cut out verses of certain songs (like seriously you saved that much time??) and I'd say acting definitely outweighed vocals (in general) but I could appreciate most of how they used the film medium to capture the feeling of the stage show. I can see a hardcore purist having huge objections to it, though. :)
  • Options
    feffany said:
    feffany said:
    Here's one, though I doubt it will get much of a response. I am legit pissed that they are making an Into the Woods movie. We all saw what happened with Les Miserables.
    I actually liked Les Miz....wasn't the hugest fan of how they cut out verses of certain songs (like seriously you saved that much time??) and I'd say acting definitely outweighed vocals (in general) but I could appreciate most of how they used the film medium to capture the feeling of the stage show. I can see a hardcore purist having huge objections to it, though. :)
    Russell Crowe though! Also, no "dog eat dog?" Come on. I feel like they shot it but Sasha Baron Cohen was that awful that they couldn't put it in the movie. I wanted to hit Russell Crowe every time he opened his mouth. He killed the movie dead.
    Both quite valid points....Russell Crowe was quite disappointing. :( It wasn't enough to kill the whole thing for me, though.
  • Options
    feffany said:
    If people's trick to making the wedding smaller is cutting 50+ kids, then I'd say maybe the problem is that you're inviting too many people to begin with.

Brought to you by distant cousin-in-law who sent us a save the date but no wedding invitation and getting married this weekend: Unless you're having a straight-up cocktail reception or a late-night party, I totally disagree with adult-only wedding receptions. I get people want to have a grown-up time and that's their prerogrative, but for a regular banquet hall wedding? I just don't see the point in prohibiting kids.
    No kids at my wedding except my niece it was perfect and amazingly fun. I don't think kids belong everywhere and I believe my reception was as fun as it was because there were no kids
    Same here.  I've seen too many kids acting wild at weddings.  
  • Options
    I love weddings! All of them! Kids are fine but please don't make me bring mine, I want a night off! 
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Ah, weddings. I hate drink tickets. No alcohol for religious or recovery reasons is fine but don't give me a fucking raffle ticket with your wedding date on it so I can go redeem it for a free beer. I always feel like a little kid like "here's my two drink tickets because they think a 'responsible' adult shouldn't have more than 2 drinks in a night." It's worse than a cash bar. And what happens if you forget your drink tickets?

Bah humbug, I'm in a terrible mood today. Why do weddings make people so crazy? It's one day, get over yourself.
    Yuck!  I've never heard of such a thing!  Drink tickets, what is this a carnival?!  If I'm not planning to drink can I trade them in for a ride on the merry-go-round?

Have been to a couple of cash bar weddings though, better than no alcohol I guess.  Went to one wedding where they even charged for non-alcohol drinks! 
  • Options
    My Aunt asked me the other day if I was planning to home school.  I later shared that with my mother and she was like, "I could see why your Aunt would ask that, you seem like the type."  WTF does that mean?! I thought it best not to even ask, but it sure as hell didn't sound like a good thing!
  • Options
    feffany said:
    feffany said:
    feffany said:
    Russell Crowe though! Also, no "dog eat dog?" Come on. I feel like they shot it but Sasha Baron Cohen was that awful that they couldn't put it in the movie. I wanted to hit Russell Crowe every time he opened his mouth. He killed the movie dead.
    Both quite valid points....Russell Crowe was quite disappointing. :( It wasn't enough to kill the whole thing for me, though.
    I agree that the production was great: scenery, costumes, make-up were all top-notch. In general though, they chose way too many big-name stars who don't know how to "sing lines" with emotion. It's just so different from acting or singing alone. Meryl Streep better nail the witch's rap. Last Midnight is also a tall order. If anyone wants to see the OBC stage recording, I think it's still on Netflix. Into the Woods.
    RC killed it for me.  Javert is the best part of the show, you can't eff that up!

I'm nervous for Into the Woods.  But Sweeney Todd came out okay, so I'm hoping that it is more like that than Les Mis.  Dunno what I think about adding new songs in.  Ick.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    feffany said:
    feffany said:
    feffany said:
    feffany said:
    I agree that the production was great: scenery, costumes, make-up were all top-notch. In general though, they chose way too many big-name stars who don't know how to "sing lines" with emotion. It's just so different from acting or singing alone. Meryl Streep better nail the witch's rap. Last Midnight is also a tall order. If anyone wants to see the OBC stage recording, I think it's still on Netflix. Into the Woods.
    RC killed it for me.  Javert is the best part of the show, you can't eff that up!

I'm nervous for Into the Woods.  But Sweeney Todd came out okay, so I'm hoping that it is more like that than Les Mis.  Dunno what I think about adding new songs in.  Ick.
    Can this be real? Someone who has seen Into the Woods? The new songs is news to me. Are they from the failed attempt at a children's tv show? (Which, of course it failed, the show is effed up psychologically, it is definitely NOT for kids!) I will die if they make it hokey.
    I loooove into the woods!  I listened to the soundtrack all the time as a kid and I've played in the pit for it as well.  Heck, I sing it every day to LO!  "Into the car you go again, you have to every now and then!"

I don't know what the new song is but I've seen it mentioned in a lot of articles.  Sondheim is working closely with them at least.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Fuck the long ass quote tree...

I am both excited and nervous for Into the Woods. I was the witch in my high school production. :) I really wish Bernadette Peters would have played her in the movie.
  • Options

sschwege said:

Yuck!  I've never heard of such a thing!  Drink tickets, what is this a carnival?!  If I'm not planning to drink can I trade them in for a ride on the merry-go-round?

Have been to a couple of cash bar weddings though, better than no alcohol I guess.  Went to one wedding where they even charged for non-alcohol drinks! 
    I guess the idea is that you get 2 tickets and those drinks are free because that's how many a responsible adult has in a night. The rest of the drinks you have to pay for. I think it is horrible, like really you're telling other people what is a responsible amount to drink? It is so much worse than a cash bar. 

The person who is doing this told me that she has never been to a wedding with an open bar. Like really, this is not regional because we are from the same area.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"