LGBT Parenting
Options

Tongue Tie?

B and I met with an LC this morning and she thinks he has a bit of a tongue tie...not so bad that he can't nurse, but it is probably responsible for a not-great latch, which is causing me pain and causing him to get less milk, consequently decreasing my supply. Our options seem to be 1) have his frenulum snipped, 2) nurse with pain all the time, or 3) switch to formula. I am not 100% sure what I think right now but my wife is NOT feeling good about snipping him. Do any of you have any experience with tongue ties?
Married my wife 8/2007 ~ TTC #1 since 7/2011
9 IUIs = 9 BFNs
IVF October 2012: 22 eggs retrieved, 17 fertilized, 5 frozen
ET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Blighted ovum discovered at 7w5d; D&E
FET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Missed m/c discovered at 9w5d; D&E
Karyotyping: normal ~ RPL Testing: normal ~ Hysteroscopy: normal
FET #2: 1 blast transferred 10/25; BFP 10/31!
EDD 7/13/14 ~ Induced at 37w4d due to pre-eclampsia ~ Born on 6/28/14
*Everyone welcome*

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Tongue Tie?

• Options
    JGYJGY member

Everyone that I know of that has had it snipped has spoken positively about it.  We considered having G's minor lip tie snipped, and sometimes I regret not doing it.  At the time we had already started to supplement with formula, and I didn't really see how my supply was ever going to rebound enough since I was primarily pumping at that point (vs. nursing) and was doing everything I could to increase without any success.

What is the biggest cause of your wife's concern?

Married to my amazing wife 6/12/10 
    TTC since 6/11
    Unmedicated IUI #1 - 6/28/11 - BFN
    Unmedicated IUI #2 - 7/25/11 - BFN
    Robotic Myomectomy (Fibroid Surgery) - 11/15/11
    Unmedicated IUI #3 - 4/24/12 - BFN 
    Progesterone Supported Leuteal Phase IUI #4 - 6/21/12 - BFP!!
    Baby Boy G Born 3/24/13

On to #2, are we crazy?
    IUI #1 - 11/28/14 - BFP!  Beta #1 (11DPO) 34, Beta #2 (13DPO) 101, Beta #3 (20DPO) 3043
    Ultrasound at 6w4d shows a single, fluttering heartbeat.  Say hello to Sticky Ricki!

• Options
    Yeah, #2 is not really an option.  I'm no martyr.

I don't think it's severe enough to cause speech issues, but I may be interested in having a medical professional evaluate that because it would be a major selling point in favor of snipping.

The LC seems to feel that the procedure is not a big deal, but she was careful to say everyone feels differently about it.  She recommended a local dentist who can do it with a laser, an ENT who uses surgical scissors, and a hospital with a clinic (they do it with electrocautery).  A friend of mine had it done on her son (via ENT) and wouldn't hesitate to do it again.  It is quick and I don't think it's super painful or difficult to heal.  It's a less-serious procedure than a circ (which we had done mostly because my wife pushed for it, ironically enough).  She doesn't know much about it (we had a 5-minute conversation on her lunch break), but I could tell she didn't like the idea.  I think she feels like if we can just formula feed, why bother doing this unnecessary thing to him?  I just hate to give up on bfing over something fixable.
    Married my wife 8/2007 ~ TTC #1 since 7/2011
    9 IUIs = 9 BFNs
    IVF October 2012: 22 eggs retrieved, 17 fertilized, 5 frozen
    ET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Blighted ovum discovered at 7w5d; D&E
    FET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Missed m/c discovered at 9w5d; D&E
    Karyotyping: normal ~ RPL Testing: normal ~ Hysteroscopy: normal
    FET #2: 1 blast transferred 10/25; BFP 10/31!
    EDD 7/13/14 ~ Induced at 37w4d due to pre-eclampsia ~ Born on 6/28/14
    *Everyone welcome*

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Oliver had it. We had his frenulum clipped by our pediatrician at the hospital. We had no issue after the clipping. At work now, so I have to keep this response short... But let me know if u have any questions.
    Same sex couple, Married 8/6/11
    Baby Oliver born 11/27/13

TTC stats with donor sperm...
    IUI #1 with trigger, 1/4/13 - BFN
    IUI #2 with trigger, 2/1/13 BFN
    IUI #3 with tigger, 2/28/12 BFP EDD 11/21/13
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"