April 2014 Moms
Options

Would you let a (normal/clean) stranger hold your baby?

edited July 2014 in April 2014 Moms
I have 3 boys. We were at a kids play place indoors. When a grandma type lady asked to hold my baby. I let her but it felt odd. Baby boy was all smiles so I let her hold him for 30 mins.

Would you let a (normal/clean) stranger hold your baby? 231 votes

Yes
16% 38 votes
No
76% 176 votes
SS
7% 17 votes

Re: Would you let a (normal/clean) stranger hold your baby?

• Options
    I agree with PP. Someone who just walks up to me and asks to hold my DS then no. I went to a graduation party and my best friends relatives held DS. I didn't know them, but I trusted my friend not to hand ds over to a crazy person.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    hordolhordol member
    edited July 2014
    If a person came up to me that I didn't know and just asked, I would make up some excuse. If I had been talking to said stranger for awhile and I got a decent vibe from them I might consider it.

ETA I was in the bathroom at a new church that my husband and I were trying out and the lady in there offered to hold DS for me while I went to the bathroom. I actually was just in there to use the mirror so I didn't have to, but if I did need to use the bathroom I totally would've let her hold him.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Started dating February 6, 2012
    Married June 28, 2013
    BFP August 9, 2013
    Had our first baby, Samuel Robert, on April 17, 2014!

• Options
    honeyzoo said:

Nope! But my grandma is super sweet and she totally does this too...

I remember being in the store with my grandma about 18 years ago or so, and there was a crying baby. She went up to the mom and said, "Give that baby to me!" Then proceeded to take the baby out of her arms before receiving permission and comforted the baby. Thankfully the mom took it well from what I remember. Though I was pretty young, I still remember thinking it was a very strange thing for her to do...
    February Siggy Challenge: Favorite TV couple ~ Jim & Pam <3

Edolie Mae ~ April 21, 2014 <3
  • Options
    hlm184hlm184 member
    Newp. I was at the BX a month or so ago, and some old lady was sorta offering to take DS while I waited in line for my food. Except I wasn't going to get food, I was just sitting there waiting for a prescription to be filled, so I was able to gracefully exit that situation.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I said no but I had to get a car rental yesterday and I handed LO to the sales rep so I could put the baby seat in the car.

She was clean, pretty , and my age.

I wouldn't have if she was gross...
  • Options
    I understand having a hard time saying no though. You're too polite. It's ok to say no without guilt!
  • Options
    I let a "stranger" at church hold DD2 last week. It's a small church and other people I knew were talking with the "stranger." I would have a hard time saying no to a sweet old lady who misses having babies around, but it is weird of her to ask in the first place.
  • Options
    It depends. If I'm standing right there supervising and I get an OK vibe from the person, probably yeah. If something doesn't feel right or if I won't be right there, no.
  • Options

This reminds me that when I had DS, my grandmother told me I better be careful because he was so cute someone would definitely want to kidnap him.  And that they could change his outfit, put a wig on him and disappear with him before anyone even knew what happened. 

But anyway to answer your question, in your situation I probably would not have been freaked out by her asking but I don't think I would have let her hold him either.  If this was a play place I went to regularly and had chatted with her a couple of times I probably would. 

• Options

I guess I just don't care about my babies.

So standing in a store and a lady asks to hold your baby you just hand them over? That's weird. But do whatever you want I don't care what you do.

She asked a question clearly she's had conflicting thoughts about it or she wouldn't have cared to ask. I personally would never do it. I don't let strangers even touch my baby. That's me and how I choose to parent my child. End of story.

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    Team Creepy.

A friend of a friend, sure, if they seem normal. But randoms, no way.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 
    VOTE on my Name List
  • Options
    hlm184hlm184 member
    LolaDair said:
    But why is it weird? Like, what's going to happen? Are you worried they will run? They will get some perverse enjoyment? They are riddled with disease? I don't care that you won't let people touch your baby, it doesn't affect me at all. I just want to know your thoughts on why its so bizarre.
    Not a germ thing. I just think what if they DID run off? Like my situation, she wanted to hold DH while I walked across the BX and waited in line for 10 minutes, what if she was gone when I got back? Likely to happen? Nope. But still bothers me.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    So, another mom held DS during swim lessons the other day. I don't know her. But she's not a stranger, either. The cashier at trader joes, again I didn't know her but she wasn't a stranger.
    so what is your definition of a stranger?
    Why do my boobs look so good?image
    Then I peed on a stick...image
  • Options
    I voted no but actually happened a few weeks ago. DS through a fit a wouldn't get out of the lake at the beach so another mom offered to hold DD while I waded in to retrieve him. So normally no, but could happen
  • Options
    Can I just say, this entire thread is making me crack up. It's a good question and I totally understand both sides, but you guys are just being so funny with the way you phrase your responses. Thank you to everyone for giving me something funny to read :)

\image  image

• Options
    I said no but I had to get a car rental yesterday and I handed LO to the sales rep so I could put the baby seat in the car. She was clean, pretty , and my age. I wouldn't have if she was gross...
    ----------------------------------------------------------------- I voted no. And I'm actually kind of surprised that "clean" and "pretty" = "normal". I know some pretty creepy clean people.

• Options
    I have let friends of friends hold my baby a couple of times, but I felt uncomfortable about it. I also let a nurse hold my screaming baby while I was in the stirrups but that made me uncomfortable too.
  • Options
    I voted no but now that I think about it, there are instances where I probably would be ok with it. I would stay in close proximity though.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    MC #1 January 2013
    DS born 4/06/14
    MC #2 August 2015
    CP November 2015
    MC#3 January 2016
    BFP 5/11/16  EDD 1/19/17
  • Options
    There needs to be a "Fuck, no!" option, heh.

A14 Siggy Challenge (November): Favorite Fall Smell
  • Options
    Nope. I don't want strangers touching my baby at all. I was at the pharmacy and an old lady asked if she could look at my baby. Sure I said.... and then she proceeded to reach in my stroller and touch the baby's hands and face..... WTF!! I said "I told you that you could look... not touch her." Germaphobe here.
  • Options
    I haven't had anyone ask to hold her but a couple older ladies have timidly touched her hand or foot after saying hello to me and complimenting my cute baby. Usually just with a single finger. Like they know you're really not supposed to touch other people's babies.
  • Options
    BeckyF82 said:

I said no but I had to get a car rental yesterday and I handed LO to the sales rep so I could put the baby seat in the car.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I voted no. And I'm actually kind of surprised that "clean" and "pretty" = "normal". I know some pretty creepy clean people.

-------------
    Didn't you know? Much like a Disney movie, in real life evil people are all clearly marked out by being fat and ugly? And all pretty people are lovely.... Apparently.....

False. Snow White's stepmother. Gaston. Ursula as Vanessa. Prince Hans.
    February Siggy Challenge: Favorite TV couple ~ Jim & Pam <3

Edolie Mae ~ April 21, 2014 <3
  • Options

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I voted no. And I'm actually kind of surprised that "clean" and "pretty" = "normal". I know some pretty creepy clean people.

I can't help it I judged her on her appearance as well as the fact that she was helping me rent a car.

I wouldn't just let any pretty woman hold my baby. It was situational.

FFWC... I probably wouldn't have asked had she been ugly ( especially gross teeth !) or smelly.
  • Options
    My dad is not a "clean" man. He showers daily, but he is just scruffy with a beard and whatnot. He is one of the sweetest people I know, and kids gravitate to him even though he isn't young, pretty, and "clean."

• Options
    I also said no and agree with others about friend of a friend and such. If i were by myself and had no other options then I would prob have to consider it. I remember one time on an airplane there was a mom with three kids, one a new baby and I offered to hold the baby while she got them settled. She allowed me to and I think in that sort of situation I would have done the same.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"