Attachment Parenting

Rocking a Toddler to Sleep

I just thought I would share this for all of you who still rock your toddlers to sleep. I know sometime I feel like I am the only one who still rocks their little one, so if you ever feel the same way just know you are not alone. https://webecamethree.com/beingmom/mom-things/rock-toddler-to-sleep/

Re: Rocking a Toddler to Sleep

• I walk/rock/sing my 17 month old to sleep in our Ergo every night and for naps when I'm home with her on the weekends.  It works really well, and I was wondering today about how and when we'll transition out of it.  Not because I want to, but I was just thinking about it :).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I nurse/rock/back-pat DS to sleep. It does get old sometimes, but most of the time I feel like I have magic hands that can put him to sleep just by patting lol

• Loading the player...
  • I was just reading the posts on RIE.  Weird that she is anti rocking/singing to sleep.  I guess people can overthink almost anything :).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I read this while holding my sleeping 19 month old baby boy. He's been asleep for about 20 minutes and all I want to do is good his calm body just a little longer. My only fear is how on earth will I do this with two? How will I find the time on the evening to give each the same amount of love and attention? How do you balance it out?
    BabyFruit Ticker

BFP #1 - 12/12/11 - Missed M/C 1/9/12
    BFP #2 - 4/5/2012 - Son Born 12/12/12
    BFP #3 - 2/2/2014 - EDD 10/16/2014
  • CC1017CC1017 member
    I've always rocked my son to sleep.  Then the other night after I turned out his light and sat down in the chair he pointed straight to the crib and wanted to go to sleep there.  Our rocking days are over  :((
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 
    BFP #1 DS born 10/16/12 at 39w6d
    BFP #2 DD lost 11/17/14 at 17w2d
  • CC1017 said:
    I've always rocked my son to sleep.  Then the other night after I turned out his light and sat down in the chair he pointed straight to the crib and wanted to go to sleep there.  Our rocking days are over  :((
    This makes me really sad but I have been wishing for my son to do this because I don't want to have to transition him before he's ready.  Rocking him to sleep while 6+ months pregnant is getting harder and harder with his recent squirminess. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

BFP #1 - 12/12/11 - Missed M/C 1/9/12
    BFP #2 - 4/5/2012 - Son Born 12/12/12
    BFP #3 - 2/2/2014 - EDD 10/16/2014
  • I don't know how to do it with two, but I'm sure you will find a way and both your babies will know they are well loved by their mama.
  • I rock my daughter to sleep when she wants it. She wanted rocking every night until she was almost 2.5. Now she likes to lay down and listen to me read or sing. Now she'll be 3 in September and she says, "Mommy, will you rock me like a baby?" lol. And of course I do. I'll take snuggles any way I can get them. 

image image Visit The Nest!

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • When my older two were younger, I had an earlier bedtime for the younger one....so I did his bedtime snuggles first and then at dd's bedtime, I did dd's snuggles. We had a rule of sorts that they were not allowed to interrupt the other's snuggle time. It did mean that more of my evening was taken up with bedtime but the memories are worth it.

YBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I'm a fan of The Cloth Diaper Tech Support group on Facebook
  • When my older two were younger, I had an earlier bedtime for the younger one....so I did his bedtime snuggles first and then at dd's bedtime, I did dd's snuggles. We had a rule of sorts that they were not allowed to interrupt the other's snuggle time. It did mean that more of my evening was taken up with bedtime but the memories are worth it.
    I think this is a great idea for 2 or more kiddos! Especially if you have another adult at home to help out with the older one while you get the younger one down to sleep. Or encourage the older one to help out by also snuggling or if they are old enough to read, to read a story to the little one. 

Another suggestion (which my parents sometimes did) is have one parent do the bedtime routine for the younger and one for the older, and swap as needed. But some parents have different work schedules or are separated so this is not ideal for everyone. Me and my brother shared a room for a time and my mom used to give us our baths and sit between our beds to read to us and talk to us until we fell asleep. If one of us needed extra cuddles we could sit with our heads in her lap or whatever we needed to do to feel comforted. I'm all about sharing rooms for kiddos. I think it encourages them to get along together and share. I have fond memories of talking to my brother until we both fell asleep. 

image image Visit The Nest!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"