December 2014 Moms
Options

Opinions. Let's get unpopular.

Re: Opinions. Let's get unpopular.

• Options
    ColeyCannoliColeyCannoli member
    edited July 2014

@ColeyCannoll yes, I feel judged often too, oddly, for having a kid so "young" (I'm 29). My husband and I run in a circle of very liberal, and highly educated folks who are, justifiably for them, putting things like career, travel, and education at the front right now. We are the first to have kids among our close friends, and I often feel a little bit judged for it, not from all directions, but definitely from a select few. Many others, thankfully, are very excited for us and supportive. 
    Same! I'm "so young" at 27 and the first of my social circle to have kids as well. The majority are happy and excited for us. Some are totally using me as a chance to see what this baby thing is like, which is fine :P  But it's definitely true that I have a few that are just so unexpectedly judgey about it. They seem most disturbed about my year-long deferment from med school. As if I'm going to turn around and give up a goal I've worked so hard and long for. I can have more than one extremely important aspect to my life.
    In memory of the baby Hufflepuff and all the angel babies of D14 <3
    imageimage

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I hate when certain politically correct people force everyone around them to speak of things a certain way. My brain isn't perfect. Especially my pregnant brain. I just don't see how it is anyone's social duty to publicly correct me or inform me (do it another time and privately or something). You are just making people feel bad/embarrassed while protecting people you don't even know from certain word usage... I am a very understanding person and I never go out of my way to hurt someones feelings. I make mistakes.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Krisx2Krisx2 member
    I hate when certain politically correct people force everyone around them to speak of things a certain way. My brain isn't perfect. Especially my pregnant brain. I just don't see how it is anyone's social duty to publicly correct me or inform me (do it another time and privately or something). You are just making people feel bad/embarrassed while protecting people you don't even know from certain word usage... I am a very understanding person and I never go out of my way to hurt someones feelings. I make mistakes.
    Ok...maybe...if you are talking about their/there/they're. I hope that's what you are referring to.

Mio Marito per Sempre: Married 2009. SD is 12 yrs. DD is 4 yrs.

DS born 12/29/14

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    kboyetkboyet member

UO: I turn the radio off when anything Bruno Mars does comes on. He just doesn't do it for me, and I think he's waaaay overplayed. I do the same thing with the Pharrell song "Happy". It makes me very unhappy.

REALLY? Love bruno!!!
  • Options
    I don't like three year olds. There I said it. I'm even the mom to one right now. I don't know why they turn into monsters at this stage but I really can't wait till it's over. I also don't like 9 year olds, they can get annoying.
  • Options
    MaineMama said:

My UO- I cant stand when people (over the age of 10ish) cry and carry on when they are injured. Suck it up buttercup. I come from a family of "stiff upper lip-ers". Just put somewhat of a smile on your face and say you are fine until you are in a private area thankyouverymuch. My father has severe PSTD form both childhood abuse and Desert Storm, and we learned from a very young age that crying and carrying on just made the situation a million times worse because he somehow can make it into HIS fault that someone else randomly got hurt, and go into a spiral.

TL;DR- Quit'cher bitchin.

Just sticking up for those with PTSD. I know you probably didn't mean it like this, but some people already associate PTSD with being a scary thing. It really isn't. My DH has severe PTSD from being in Iraq and I bitch all the time. He deals just fine. PTSD does not equal the same outcomes for everyone. Don't fear the PTSD or the person with it! Sorry, had to stick up for my wounded warrior (and my own father)! I know you didn't mean it that way, but just for anyone else who might read it and think that, ya know?

My UO will be pretty unpopular with all the animal lovers on the board, but here it goes. I LOVE dogs. Love them. I have two sitting at my feet right now. But, they aren't people. I treat them like my babies, but they just aren't. I've lost dogs and I've lost many  babies. Losing dogs doesn't even come close to what it feels to lose a baby, concluding that, in fact, dogs are not your babies.  

BabyFruit Ticker

ttc #2 since 2004 Me (35): Stage 3 Endo, DH (34): High DNA Frag

IVF/ICSI #2: April 2014: BFP!!!!!!

ET of 2 great quality embryos. + BFP on 9dp5dt. Beta #1 (10dp5dt): 257, Beta #2 (14dp5dt): 1561,

Beta #3 (21dp5d5): 8,172. Wow. It seems this is actually working. Shocked beyond belief.

1st u/s @6w5d: Baby A hb 124, Baby B hb 127 (Both measuring perfectly!)

Lost baby A. Praying that baby B stays healthy. Baby B hb 175 at 11 weeks

It's a GIRL!!!

imageimageimage

My Blog

• Options
    @beachy6 you're right, losing a dog comes nowhere NEAR losing a baby, my miscarriage hurt far worse than a pet death ever did. But, I don't think anyone literally meant that dogs were babies. I think we were more implying that raising dogs and raising babies is kinda sorta a little bit maybe similar (obviously babies are harder). I really do sometimes think of babies and dogs as similar in the techniques that I use to deal with them.... 

I get this. My dad's wife (not my mom!)  swears that her dogs are like babies. There is no convincing her otherwise. She is annoying in many ways, but most particularly in this way. My old principal was the same way. I wanted to throat punch her.

And, cats are gross. Agree 1000%!

BabyFruit Ticker

ET of 2 great quality embryos. + BFP on 9dp5dt. Beta #1 (10dp5dt): 257, Beta #2 (14dp5dt): 1561,

Beta #3 (21dp5d5): 8,172. Wow. It seems this is actually working. Shocked beyond belief.

It's a GIRL!!!

imageimageimage

My Blog

• Options
    @beachy6‌ I'm so sorry for your losses, and believe me it was not my intent to say that I would love a pet the same. I've loved a dog "close" to how much I've loved my kid, but obviously my child surpasses any pets. It's just hard to not compare the two when DD is asking for her car window to be rolled down and refuses to ride without the wind blowing in her face, or she eats food off of my plate when my head is turned for a second.
    Ha! This made me crack up! My kid likes to roll the window down and spit out the window. Same idea, I guess! He's always surprised when it hits him back in the face. Yikes.

BabyFruit Ticker

It's a GIRL!!!

imageimageimage

My Blog

• Options
    Don't assume that we don't know the people you're offending out of ignorance. We may be that person or love that person very much. Even if we don't, pregnancy isn't an excuse for insensitivity. If someone tactfully tells you you've spoken in a way that could offend, take it for what it's worth an move on. In most cases as you said, it's not a commentary on your character.
    That is why I said CERTAIN politically correct people. I also did not say to not correct me.. I said why embarrass me when you could talk to me privately. If I am saying something wrong/hurtful of course I would want to know. But in front of a bunch of people and in most cases condescending tone is what I am talking about... I repeat... I am NOT saying all very politically correct people do this.. at all... because if I did say something wrong it was an accident and not to deliberately stir any sort of pot or affect someones feelings negatively. 
  • Options
    kutenprettikutenpretti member
    edited July 2014

Krisx2 said:

I don't get the new Younique trend with the 3D fiber lashes. I think they look like shit.

Eh, I like them if they are done nicely. I want to have some, but my lashes are really light and I don't like the idea of not being able to use mascara with them. Plus, ain't nobody got money for that.

I apparently have no idea what I'm talking about. I was referring to something else entirely. I just want pretty lashes damn it. **cries in corner with non waterproof mascara running down cheeks**

If you're referring to the actual fake lashes you get put on by a technician, yes! I want those too. Good quality ones in my area reach to the $200+ budget, not including the 4-6 week upkeep. If I had the money to do it, I'd be ALL over those lashes. I've seen them done so well that you don't even need mascara.

These Younique ones are different. It's like a fiber mascara. It looks like crap. Google image them. Younique is one of those work from home sell online party type companies.

I actually was hyped 2 purchase this mascara. However it was NOT worth it. I can use my $8 mascara 2 achieve ALMOST the same look. Plus u have 2 apply your regular mascara first! WTW!

• Options
    beachy6 said:
    MaineMama said:

My UO- I cant stand when people (over the age of 10ish) cry and carry on when they are injured. Suck it up buttercup. I come from a family of "stiff upper lip-ers". Just put somewhat of a smile on your face and say you are fine until you are in a private area thankyouverymuch. My father has severe PSTD form both childhood abuse and Desert Storm, and we learned from a very young age that crying and carrying on just made the situation a million times worse because he somehow can make it into HIS fault that someone else randomly got hurt, and go into a spiral.

TL;DR- Quit'cher bitchin.

Just sticking up for those with PTSD. I know you probably didn't mean it like this, but some people already associate PTSD with being a scary thing. It really isn't. My DH has severe PTSD from being in Iraq and I bitch all the time. He deals just fine. PTSD does not equal the same outcomes for everyone. Don't fear the PTSD or the person with it! Sorry, had to stick up for my wounded warrior (and my own father)! I know you didn't mean it that way, but just for anyone else who might read it and think that, ya know?

You are right @beachy6, I didn't word that in a very good way, and PTSD definitely affects everyone differently. I'll reword my original post :) My dads PTSD never affected us in a negative way.

I'm not hungry, I'm HUUUNNNNNGGGRRRRRYYYY! NOW!

Dec 2014 Dec Siggy, Free For All

Big E- 2008

Miss M- 2011

Baby Z- 2012

Baby Smoosh, Due Dec 2014

• Options
    klm03013 said:

In regards to the cats are gross posts, I think dogs are way grosser. My cat has never eaten her own poop (or anyone else's for that matter) and then tried to lick me. I still like dogs, though.

You have a well behaved cat. I've seen cats do some downright disgusting things.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    sysakbabysysakbaby member
    edited July 2014
    MrsBriss said:
    I'm sick and tired of people who get offended. Seriously it seems that everyone takes offense to every little thing these days. Everything has to be PC and carefully worded so as not to piss anyone off. Honestly if you can't tell that what Im saying was meant in a non-hurtful way then be offended and please don't talk to me. Life is too short to walk around being offended by everything.
    Like what's your example? I can think of a lot that IS offensive that many people use casually, like gay as a derogatory word, the r word, racial terms... And it's a good thing when people speak up about that. So what do you mean exactly?
    I'm guessing this is a thinly veiled reference to the sex vs. gender thing. 
    That's where my mind went. That's not going to go well.
    Lol .. this was actually not about that AT ALL. I was pissed at one of my co-workers jumping down my throat about something that I said. I didn't mean it all the way she implied I did and Im pretty sure she was just looking for drama.

Although in reference to the sex vs gender I always use these terms correctly. However, I don't get offended when people use them incorrectly if I get what they were trying to say. If someone says something hurtful I have a HUGE problem with it, but if someone who I know knows the difference just used the wrong word I let it slide.

But thats just my personality I have the full LGBTQ spectrum in my family and friends and I think everyone deserves respect but its pretty hard to ruffle my feathers unless you are being a genuine ignorant douchebag.

ETA: I would explain the co-worker thing in full but its long and mostly boring. It didn't touch on any truly offensive topic which is what pissed me off. If everyone gets offended at little things then it takes away from the big things.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    klm03013 said:
    In regards to the cats are gross posts, I think dogs are way grosser. My cat has never eaten her own poop (or anyone else's for that matter) and then tried to lick me. I still like dogs, though.
    I love dogs but they are incredibly dirty compared to cats IMO. Yeah, my cat goes to the bathroom in the house... in a covered box in the bathroom. She covers it up and it's easy to clean up... and what's more she was born able to do this trick! My dog took foooorever to train not to shit everywhere. Even now she likes to take me out in the mud/rain/snow/gross outside and take forever to poop and then I have to pick that shit up, put it in a bag and throw it out. Totally disgusting. 

Plus the slobbering... I've never had a cat slobber all over me or eat up my furniture or drag mud everywhere.  And if I never had a dog, I wouldn't know the joys of expressing an anal gland! Nope, cat never drags her butt across the carpet either.

Btw, I love my pup-asaurus. And I fully expect my kids to be a million times grosser so I'm prepared to love gross things XP
    imageimage

• Options
    sysakbabysysakbaby member
    edited July 2014
    As long as we're talking about animals and poop grossness, my UO is that I am WAY more grossed out by the idea of having to deal with a diaper blowout than I have ever been by a litter box, or picking up dog poop, or cleaning out the stall after my pony. The animal poop happens in a predictable place either outside or in a litter box (ok, there are accidents but they're the exceptions not the rule), whereas I feel like once there's a baby, anything could potentially get poop on it. And when people talk about how it's liquid and stuff, then I get even more grossed out. Really hope this feeling will go away before the baby, and it's probably just a dumb FTM thing, but I totally wish babies pooped in a designated place you just clean out once a day!
    Me too!! I have expressed this to my friends and all they can say is "its different when its your kid". I really hope thats the case and I get over this lol

• Options

klm03013 said:

You have a well behaved cat. I've seen cats do some downright disgusting things.
    I guess I do, because I also don't allow her on kitchen tables or countertops.

Meanwhile, at my friend's house yesterday, she had to run and pull a condom out of his mouth he had fished out of the trash.

Yeah, I'm sticking with the cats are cleaner thing.
  • Options

sysakbaby said:

I'm sick and tired of people who get offended. Seriously it seems that everyone takes offense to every little thing these days. Everything has to be PC and carefully worded so as not to piss anyone off. Honestly if you can't tell that what Im saying was meant in a non-hurtful way then be offended and please don't talk to me. Life is too short to walk around being offended by everything.

Like what's your example? I can think of a lot that IS offensive that many people use casually, like gay as a derogatory word, the r word, racial terms... And it's a good thing when people speak up about that. So what do you mean exactly?
    If someone is using a term in a derogatory manner then I think that's one thing. I don't think that @danisgossipgirl‌ post was talking about saying anything in a derogatory way. She even said "in a non hurtful way"
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    nesenotes said:
    Super late to UO but people that don't try new foods and by default don't expose their children to new foods annoy the ever living eff out of me. Just fracking try it! I don't even know why it bothers me so much because it's not my mouth and stomach but it really does. I feel like they are doing themselves and their kids a huge disservice.
    So true... 
    One of my best friends in college had never had a PB&J sandwich or a steak before we introduced it to him. He never ate veggies and the only fruit he ate was grapefruit. He mostly stuck to pop-tarts and chicken fingers - the stuff his mom would get him since she decided he was "picky" and wouldn't push him to try different foods. 

His roommates and friends helped open him up to a lot but that poor diet already took a tole on his health. He's not even 30 but is already on cholesterol meds. Sometimes it's better not to let your kid dictate their own diet >_<
    imageimage

• Options
    desireearieldesireeariel member
    edited July 2014
    edit: I got confused
  • Options
    weezy29weezy29 member
    edited July 2014
    I cannot stand when someone bitches about their weight or body and yet does nothing about it! If you want to eat Cheetos, doughnuts, fast food and 2nd helpings, FINE! Shove it down your pipe but don't you dare complain about how fat you are or how much weight you are gaining. I will never understand that!

• Options

I hate skinny jeans.  On women and men.  More so on men though.  I just don't think it's a good look. 

::ducks and covers::

I think any other type of jeans look dated now. Like if someone is wearing boot cut jeans they look so 90s to me.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    esr9435 said:
    My UO: I am so sick of everyone and their mother selling 31, beach body, premier jewelry, jamberry, etc etc!!!! Sorry if anyone sells, but I get messages weekly for friends parties or trying to get me to buy from another friend. I'll buy my own jewelry, protein powder, & nail polish that isn't crazy overpriced so that you can make a quick profit...But thanks anyway! Ughhh
    Yep- my only exception to the home party list is Pampered Chef. I almost never buy anything (or just buy cheap things) but any party where someone is going to make me food, give me wine, and let me play with kitchen gadgets- I'm there!

I'm not hungry, I'm HUUUNNNNNGGGRRRRRYYYY! NOW!

Dec 2014 Dec Siggy, Free For All

Big E- 2008

Miss M- 2011

Baby Z- 2012

Baby Smoosh, Due Dec 2014

• Options
    Ok, this is definitely UO, but I absolutely dislike the use of pets in the expecting announcements. I get that some dogs are cute, but really? We have an aquarium of beautiful fish that have their own little personalities, but I never thought of including them to announce our human baby.
  • Options

melkeeney said:

sysakbaby said:

If someone is using a term in a derogatory manner then I think that's one thing. I don't think that @danisgossipgirl‌ post was talking about saying anything in a derogatory way. She even said "in a non hurtful way"
    Do I really need to spell this out? Someone casually saying "that's gay" when they mean "that sucks" is offensive even if a person doesn't mean to be. Or my mother in law referring to all people of Asian descent as "orientals" or all Spanish-speaking people as "Mexicans"... It doesn't mean she has anything against them but her word choice is offensive. I'll be happy to play PC police in those situations. I'm wondering what would not be worthy of a callout, haven't heard a good example yet.
    I have just sat and read these all in order and I totally get what everybody is saying on both sides of this, if somebody uses a term like that it is better to let somebody know that that is an offensive thing to say but there is a way of doing it that IMO. I haven't seen anything too crazy on here but IRL yelling "don't say that you asshole!" doesn't do anything. As far as the bump is concerned if somebody said something I found offensive I would rather send a private message than to call em out in front of everybody if it is obvious the person has just maybe spoken before thinking
  • Options

@agsgrrl‌ I wouldn't resort to name calling but in my head I'll be thinking wtf is wrong with that person? On tb when people call someone out, it's usually matter of fact, somewhat polite, a little snarky, which is exactly how I'd react irl. And then very nice if the OP responds thoughtfully and apologizes. It's usually when the op comes back guns blazing that serious snark starts and I think that's warranted. Maybe you're more sensitive to the opinions of strangers and that's why you liked Jennamariemartinez's post about the board being too mean, I dunno.

@danisgossipgirl‌ Oh yeah I am just sensitive in general I was going to add that to my last comment but it was getting long winded as it was. I also agree that it gets too much when the response is defensive & extra snarky. I didn't necessarily think this board is mean I "clapped" because I agree with how petty disagreeing on social media gets. I actually rather enjoy this board.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"