April 2014 Moms
Options

Cradle Cap

I know this has been discussed before but nothing I have tried has worked and I'm getting desperate so I'm looking for new ideas. What did you try to get rid of cradle cap? What worked and what didn't?
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Cradle Cap

• Options
    Olive oil + baby hairbrush. It worked for my son.
  • Options
    I used a toothbrush, and a blend of coconut oil, lavender, and tea tree oil. It was gone in one day.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I second olive oil and hair brush. Our ped also recommended this!
  • Options
    My DD had cradle cap since 4wks old (she is 13 wks now). The doctor gAve us medicated shampoo to use 2x per week. I have been doing that since & it wasn't going away.... On Sunday I tried the coconut oil trick & it's gone!! I just rubbed the oil into her scalp (she has a ton of hair), let it sit for about 15min & washed out with water & her regular baby shampoo. I combed her hair right after with a fine tooth comb & pulled a lot of flakes out. I hAvent seen any more flakes this week! And since she has a ton of hair it is noticeable... Wish I tried this going back
    Lilypie - Eu0n
    BFP: 12/3/15     EDD: 8/11/16     IT'S A BOY!!!
    MAXIMUS POWERS   8♥5♥16

Lilypie - pXE7
    BFP: 8/5/13      EDD: 4/13/14     IT'S A GIRL!!!      
    AYLA BLAIR   3♥27♥14

• Options
    I put a pretty liberal amount of baby oil gel on LO's head every day for about a week and took her comb and brush and just scrubbed around to loosen the scales. When it was really bad I let the gel sit overnight before brushing and combing. It was a good excuse to let her wear little newborn hat from the hospital.
  • Options
    I bought Belly B Bee Gone Cradle Cap Shampoo. It was a miracle worker for us... I'm not even kidding. I can still tell that DS has cradle cap, but just because I know where to look on his scalp. I doubt a stranger would come up to him and notice now. 
  • Options
    Lotion and a baby hairbrush gently going backwards did the trick for us!
  • Options
    rtv3rtv3 member
    edited June 2014
    My MIL calls it cradle crap and now I can't call it anything else...

No helpful advice here, sorry!
    image    image

With the possible exception of the equator, everything begins somewhere. - C.S.Lewis

• Options
    Tasha575 said:

Coconut oil, Mustela cradle cap shampoo, and this brush worked for me :)

Exactly what worked for us

• Options
    Um, you don't HAVE to do anything about it.  It's harmless, usually causes ZERO discomfort to the baby, and clears up on its own.   Doing nothing is probably much more comfortable for the baby.
    imageDSC_9275  image

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    aviola329 said:

Avion22 said:

Um, you don't HAVE to do anything about it.  It's harmless, usually causes ZERO discomfort to the baby, and clears up on its own.   Doing nothing is probably much more comfortable for the baby.

Pretty much. I figure I'm gonna wash his hair and brush it anyway so I might as well do it in a way that helps get rid of the cradle cap at the same time.

I did read somewhere though that if the cradle cap is left alone and gets bad it can cause them to lose some of their hair as the flakes eventually come off on their own. I'd have to go back and do some "research" to remember where I read that though if there's any merit to it.
    When I put oil on and brush off Danny's flakes he definitely lost hair.
  • Options
    You don't have to do anything but hers is to the point where her lymph nodes are swollen from it (according to the Dr. that's why they're swollen at least) and I need her immune system to be healthy enough to be cleared for surgery so I need to get rid of it sooner rather than later.  Plus it just looks pretty gross!  We have tried coconut oil and Vaseline, brushes and combs.  The Vaseline was really hard to get out of her hair....I don't recommend it.  I think I might have to turn to medicated shampoo even though I was really hoping to avoid it. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks @aviola329 I will try the mustela first. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My son has it bad. I'm not doing anything about it. I figure the less chemicals on him the better.

imageimageimage
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Ugh mine has it too I use baby oil and I have been using head and shoulders gentle it's slowly helping but I'm thinking about adding some coconut oil :( everyone who comes close to her ask "oh what is that?!?" I'm like really people this is common!!! Rude!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"