January 2015 Moms

What's your day job?

13»

Re: What's your day job?

• tripletoe said:
    I'm a dental hygienist. I'm not sure how long I will work up until. With my DD I worked until 37 weeks, but I was so sore from having to reach over my belly, and my belly would be pretty close to my client's heads :S . I think I will stop work sooner this time, but it will depend on how I'm feeling. I will take off a year, just like I did with DD. It was an amazing year :)
    Dental Hygienist as well. Same concerns. This is my first pregnancy so we'll see how I do. So far, the back pain is horrendous! I will take 12 wks. off afterwards (6wks FMLA and 6 wks paid maternity). Unfortunately I won't be able to take any more time even if I want to or feel unready to go back. Wishing I lived in Canada about now!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm the Administrative Services Coordinator and an Advocate at a Sexual Assault Support Center in Maine. I plan on working right up until my EDD and then taking about 6 weeks off.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I work construction. It is a tough job, but I am enjoying it. I haven't yet told them I am expecting because I am already the "girl" on the crew, the last thing I want is to be treated like a leper too! However, when I took this job I told them in my interview that starting a family was in the near future. They were excited for me and said when that time comes I can work in the office. I am in school to become a teacher. I finish next fall. BUSY BUSY! I plan to take full 3 months maternity leave then go back for my last summer working construction prior to my student teaching. 
  • kursemkursem member
    I'm an internal audit manager for a large hospitality company (ie hotels and restaurants).  I'm hoping to work up until i deliver.  Depending on finances, i will probably take 6-8 weeks and do some working form home after baby comes.

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I own a Farmers Insurance Agency.  It's been tough for me because I can't just close up shop.  I have someone that is supposed to be selling under my agency, but he hasn't been doing a great job.  I was hoping he'd be flying by now and I would be able to leave him in charge for a few weeks in January.  I plan on working all the way up until I just can't anymore!  
    But then what?  I need a licensed person in here that I trust.  Tough to come by!  

I am hoping my husband will be able to take off from his job (he's a corporal with the local police department) in order to stay home with our LO!  He has about 1000 hours of sick leave available.

I'm open to any suggestions!!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I'm a case manager for adults with severe and persistent mental illnesses. I will take 12 weeks unpaid and then return. I wish I didn't have to, I hate my job. It's really stressful. But right now DH doesn't make nearly enough for that to be an option.

"As long as I live you will live. As long as I live you will be loved."

BFP#1 3/31/12 EDD 12/1/12,No HB 6/6/12 (14 weeks 4 days), D&C 6/11/12 (15 weeks 2 days)*Arabella Ann*

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

BFP#2 5/21/14 EDD 1/27/15 *GROW BABY GROW*

• I'm a University professor. The timing of my due date is not ideal, right around the beginning of the spring semester...about a week in. I hope to take at least through spring break, but might be able to arrange my teaching schedule so I can teach online from home. Haven't told anyone at work so nothing is for sure yet.
  • Im a graphic designer, last time i made it almost to the end (2 weeks shyof due date due to high blood pressure) i hope do to the same this time as well. Then i will have a year off.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I am an Occupational Therapist at a pediatric hospital. I work with kiddos with brain injuries, spine injuries and other neuro disorders. Love what I do, but it's been a lil difficult as I haven't been feeling to hot the last few weeks. Plus the hospital has some funky smells to begin with :). I plan on working as long as possible, plus I will have a student from September to December, so that will really help. I am able to take up to 12 weeks with FMLA but only have enough PTO and STD to get paid for like 8-10, so we will have to see what happens.

BFP #1 5/24/14 EDD 1/29/15 natural mc 6/25/14

BFP #2 10/19/14 EDD 6/26/15, late ovulation new EDD 7/1/15, stick lil one!

• I'm a receptionist and plan on working until a week or so before my due date. I'm planning on taking 12 weeks off, assuming everything goes smoothly.
    Pregnancy Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm a labor and delivery nurse. I hope to work all the way up until I deliver but we will see. I work nights and it's already 1000 times worse being pregnant. By the time LO arrives I should be able to take 8 weeks paid between time off, sick time, and short term disability.
                     imageimage
    Anniversary
  • I'm the founder of a .com company. We'll be closing down a round of funding then and I can't say to the VCs "Oh, sorry, I need to take time off for baby." 

So likely will take typical allotted time and get right back to it!
  • I am a customer rep with a utility company. I want to work until the end of the year and not come back for 12 weeks. But since my fiancé and I work at the same company we have to share our leave, so more than likely I will be working until close to due date and 6-8 after so he can spend some time bonding as well.
  • I'm a Med-Peds Resident. Planning on taking 6 weeks off for maternity leave. I regularly work 70-80 hours a week & won't get to be at home much for the next 4 years, so I want to maximize my maternity leave even though it will be unpaid.
  • A financial consultant for a large healthcare company. I will work as long as I can. I have a big project that I have to turn over but would like to support as long as I can. 12 weeks.
  • I'm an interior designer, our firm mainly focuses on model home design. I plan to work up until my EDD, but won't be travelling the last couple months. I plan to take 6 to 8 weeks off after the baby is born, I would love to go back 4 days a week or part time but that probably isn't feasible right now :)
    **Andrea - proud mommy of our amazing big guy Brady and our sweet angel baby Eli James, born sleeping 10.29.2013 at 20 weeks 1 day due to premature labor - rest in peace my love**

• Administrative assistant/customer service for a printing company.  

I'll probably take two months after the baby is born and then try to go back either full or part time.  This is our first child so we're not really sure what will work best for us, so we're keeping my options open.  If I am able to find affordable/consistent childcare, I'll stay full time, if not, we'll see how part time goes, or I'll be a SAHM for the first year or two.  
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited June 2014
    I'm a primary care nurse practitioner and I currently work 3 days/week. I finished grad school when I was pregnant with DD, so I ended up staying home with her until she was 6 months old before taking an NP job. I was working as an RN on nights and weekends per diem to help pay the bills.

With this baby, I honestly don't know how we'll pay to have two children in daycare. We already pay over $1600/month for DD (for 3 days/week), and infant care is even more expensive. Our plan at this point is for me to stay home until DD starts preschool in September 2015, then either go back to work or start a PhD program depending on our finances.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @MaPetieFamille where on earth do you live that charges that much for daycare?? Maybe I got into the wrong field lol
  • I'm the founder of a .com company. We'll be closing down a round of funding then and I can't say to the VCs "Oh, sorry, I need to take time off for baby." 

So likely will take typical allotted time and get right back to it!

Do you have daycare plan? I feel like your situation is fairly similar to mine.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • @MaPetieFamille where on earth do you live that charges that much for daycare?? Maybe I got into the wrong field lol
    I live in Boston. We're moving to the burbs soon and it's only going to be about $150/month cheaper. It's totally insane that DH and I both work professional jobs but still can't afford to pay for daycare for more than one kid. I hear NYC is even worse.
  • I thought I've posted in here! Maybe I didn't see it?

I work in the infant room at my local daycare. I plan to work until Christmas, depending on the weather. After LO joins us in January I'll be a SAHM :)
  • I'm a SAHM and a student (or I will be a student again in the Fall...I'm not fully registered yet). Something that will be changing for me is I have 3 kids but I've never had 3 kids at home full time (i.e my son was born a couple weeks before my oldest started Kindergarten). Now my oldest will be starting 2nd grade but my 4 yr old and 2 yr old will be home when I have my 4th...I'm a little nervous about the new dynamic....I'm sure I'll manage though!
  • @MaPetiteFamille‌ -- I'm in boston too and started to look at the places with good reputations near us -- in the 24-28k/year for infants. I have friends with two kids in day care spending >35k who aren't particularly happy with the place! Are you happy with your center at least? I know lots of people who try to do nanny shares and such but I have no idea how much they are paying for that. Definitely makes you take a hard look at where your salary goes and whether it's worth it!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • What do you do? I'm a SAHM to a 3 year old & 1 year old. (I'm a podiatrist by "trade" but am not practicing right now)

Will you work up until your EDD? Yes, SAHM's don't get much time off ;)

How much time will you take off work after baby? I will milk my hospital stay for the full 48 hours I'm allotted. Then it's back to work!!!
    DS1 born 4/17/11
    DS2 born 2/22/13
    MMC 5/16/14@8w2d
    DD due 5/9/15 Please be our
    RAINBOW

imageimage
  • @MaPetiteFamille‌ -- I'm in boston too and started to look at the places with good reputations near us -- in the 24-28k/year for infants. I have friends with two kids in day care spending >35k who aren't particularly happy with the place! Are you happy with your center at least? I know lots of people who try to do nanny shares and such but I have no idea how much they are paying for that. Definitely makes you take a hard look at where your salary goes and whether it's worth it!

I love our center. They've been great with DD and she talks about "school" all the time. We looked into a nanny share, but it wouldn't have been that much cheaper if we did it by the book (paying for taxes, vacation/sick time, etc.). I also like the reliability of a center, since my line of work is a little less forgiving of unforeseen days off and late arrivals.

We're hoping that DD will get a spot in the public preschool in our town, though it's a lottery system with a lot of applicants. If that doesn't happen, maybe we'll look into a nanny or in home daycare, though I would really like for DD to go to preschool even if we have to pay for it.
  • Daycare/preschool is the same going rate here (northern California), $1400 to $1600 per month and that's for 3-4 days per week. It's crazy!!  This will be our first LO, when that time comes and the expenses really start going up, we're going to have to take a good hard look at finances and income per month compared to the cost of child care and my husband may end up staying at home rather than working. DH earns less than I do so that would be the logical answer, and if anyone is cut out to be a great stay-at-home Dad it'd be him so I am down with that :)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I have a tech startup, and I advise early stage startups on hiring, company culture, communications, and development. I also cofounded a baby products ecommerce venture with my sister last year, and in the process of working with her to secure funding for a private k-5 school which we would love to get off the ground for fall 2015. I've done freelance web development and online marketing in the past but no longer have the time. All my projects are flexible, so I don't foresee myself taking any set amount of time 'off' but rather just making sure I can accommodate attachment parenting.
  • Elsa32Elsa32 member
    I was a pathogenic bacteriologist and professor. My research focused on cystic fibrosis and bacterial infection in kids. I taught microbiology at two universities. I recently moved across the country and decided to leave my research and teaching and go to law school. I enjoy academia and a good challenge. After law school, I'll likely work closely with researchers and write patents. I may decide to teach again later in life.
  • I'm a first grade teacher. I plan to work up until my due date, then take 12 weeks off, and return after April vacation to wrap up the year. :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP #1 10/5/13 MMC 11/13/13 D&C 11/15/13
    BFP #2 5/14/14 EDD 1/19/15 Beta 1: 728 Beta 2: 1858 We have a heartbeat! 166 @ 7w3d  Please be our RAINBOW!
    Baby G is a BOY!

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"