January 2015 Moms

What's your day job?

Re: What's your day job?

• I'm active duty Air Force- I get six weeks off for maternity leave.
  • Long haul flight attendant. I'm allowed to fly up to 26 weeks but can stop any time and they have to give me a safe job on the ground. Will probably stop flying at around 16 weeks.
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm a public service employee in Canada. I should be at work until 37-38 weeks and then I will be off for one year. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • @muskiefan07 You're an ortho PA? I'm an ortho certified RN. WE LOVE OUR PAs! They save us from many a pissed off surgeon. I call my PAs on their cells phones many times a day. What type of surgery do you do (joints, trauma, spines, etc?) I mostly work with post-op spine patients. Occasionally they send me over to the ortho trauma/onc hall. 

As for me, I hope to transition into a SAHM role after baby. I will work as long as I feel able. But if I feel like my ability to provide good patient care OR my own personal health is suffering, I will stop early.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• ZoebotZoebot member
    I'm an assistant manager at the local clinic.  Plan to work until I go into labor, hoping to take 8-12 weeks off.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• I'm a firefighter/medic.  On light-ish duty for now.  6 weeks off. 
  • nursemarie925nursemarie925 member
    edited May 2014
  • I'm a high school photography and architecture instructor. I'll have the holidays off then I'll take as many weeks that make sense. Maybe eight. It's hard to leave my job because of the specifics of my content and finding a sub.

BabyFruit Ticker
    BFP#1 5/1/2014 EDD: 1/6/2015
    Me: 34 DH: 33 Married 7/2014
  • I'm an Operating Room RN, hoping to work until I deliver. I love, love, love my job. May switch to 3rd shifts after baby gets here so I won't have to put it in day care.
  • I'm a sr teller/account service rep at a credit union, I'm hoping to take the full 12 weeks or as long as I can because I hope to be able to breast feed. Plan to work up until edd I'm already so nervous and worried I dunno what else I would do. It's been almost 11 years since my only pregnancy besides this one and I was 17 years old then.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • SAHM here too.

Lilypie - (OFne)

• megdaigmegdaig member
    I'm a chemical engineer for a big bad evil oil company. I plan to work up to my EDD (at least I think this now). I plan to take my full 6 weeks off. Haven't decided on taking the 6 months off with no pay...not sure I want a single income for that long...but I am considering doing part-time at full pay for a while...3 on 2 off...that'll reduce daycare cost a bit and more time to bond with baby. I know some ladies that have done this up until the kiddos are in school...a pretty nice perk.
    BabyFetus Ticker}
  • I am a school psychologist. The due date falls during winter break, so I expected to work up until break. I would love to take a full 12 weeks but I may go back earlier. Not quite sure yet-have to look at the money situation a little closer

Favorite TV Dad-Hal Wilkerson (Malcolm in the Middle)
    June Signature Challenge
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I'm a graphic designer and photographer. Most likely I'll work up until my due date and take 8-12 weeks off when baby arrives! Hoping to go back to work part time as a graphic designer (my 9-5 job) and continue my shoots which thankfully are dead jan-march anyway! Hoping someday I can be a full time stay at home mom!
  • I'm a videojournalist and we get a full year off though. I work full time now but will be wanting part time after and work from home. Not sure how that's all going to work though
  • I work in Marketing for a Champagne & Spirits company- I will surely miss the bubbly!

I plan on working up until DD and then 12 wks off and maybe work from home for an additional 4 weeks. My company just changed rules to allow 16 wks maternity!

• I am a photographer. I specialize in newborns and maternity, and do birth photography as well. I would love to work until the very end, but I might take a month off before my EDD just to be safe. I'll take another month off after baby is born, I think. I can see myself getting back in to it as soon as possible, though. 

BabyFetus Ticker

• I'm a lecturer of Old and Modern Icelandic at UCL, and I am getting a full year off, though I haven't told my boss yet. I get six months full pay and six months half-pay. I'll probably work up until 8 months, and then have the first 11 months with the baby. Then the plan is for me to go back to work part time for six months, but then I'm going to see if I can move back to where my parents live, because it's so much cheaper to live there.

Single Mummy-To-Be | TTC January 2014 | Natural IUI with DS March 2014: Resulted in BFN | Natural IUI with DS April 2014: Positive! | EDD 10th January 2015

BabyFetus Ticker
  • tkr7c9tkr7c9 member
    I am a Quality Control Supervisor for a privately owned high tech chemical company. I was recently promoted out of the lab to the supervisor role, I waited until the shift to start TTC so I would not have to physically be in the lab every day. I work between 45-55 hours a week and will work until either I go into labor or my doctor makes me go on bed rest. I considered taking the full 12 weeks but my mom suggested that if I wait that long it will be really hard to go back to work. I am thinking I will probably take about 8 weeks off after.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I'm a Pediatric RN in the US Navy. I will be working up until delivery the taking probably 6-8 weeks after. Then it's back to work :-P
  • MNgirl326MNgirl326 member
    edited June 2014

Teacher

I will work until I have the baby.

I will take 12 weeks

A kiss he will never forget- Disney World 2014

Pregnancy Ticker

• I am a sahm, but I also started a couple small sewing and embroidery businesses to keep my sanity when I was forced to take a 2 month early maternity leave while pregnant with my oldest.
  • I am a SAHM. With my daughter we get a year maternity (or paternity) leave but I just never went back (I'm a teacher) and plan to stay at home till my kids are all in school :) I do some private tutoring in the evenings though and plan to do more from September till baby comes.
  • jmcmoejmcmoe member

I am an aesthetician and run my own business. I hope to work until the beginning of December. Then it gets crazy for Christmas and I don't think I want to stress myself out with that.

After baby is born I will see how it goes! Thinking I will wait until my husband is done with the busy season (he is a farmer) so when harvest is over, usually in September-October, he can bond with our little one while I start doing pedi's etc.

I live in Canada, so the average mat leave is a full year.

Where in Canada? I'm also a farmer, but I work off farm as well! So I will get the full year of paid mat. Leave! It's great!
  • jmcmoejmcmoe member
    I am a CSR for a milk recording company. I work on a lot of different dairy farms and with DS I had to quit at about 7 months because it was too physically demanding and I was having a lot of back problems. This time I hope I can make it to the end of the year because I only came back in January and our maternity leave is based on our last 12 months earnings...I may have to drop some hours and difficult herds though so it would be less than full time but at least I would still be making something!
  • CbeanzCbeanz member
    edited June 2014
    I'm a chemist.

My company offers 3 months paid leave. That sounds about right for me. I took 5 months with DD and it felt long to be out of the workplace.
  • I too am a teacher. I'm planning on taking 12 weeks (December up until Spring Break). My babies have a record of coming early (4 weeks and 3 weeks) so I'm planning on an early labor and delivery.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Old thread, oh well! I'm a geriatric nurse practitioner. I work 60+ hrs/wk and take call one week a month. I am trying to ease up but will work as close to EDD as possible and then take a full 12 weeks off. I am debating looking for a new job during leave or trying to go part time at my current employer once LO arrives... I have been waiting for an opportunity to make a move. This would give me a good excuse to leave without burning bridges.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I am an Insurance Coordinator for a dialysis organization. I plan to work until my EDD, if I am lucky enough. I would like to take off 8-12 weeks off.

• Registered Polysomnographic Technolodgist... oooo fancy. It means I watch people sleep and do CPAP machines and sleep apnea testing. I also own and operate a wedding and portrait photography business.

• Because I work nights I will probably be taking my leave a few weeks before due date maybe 2 as long as everythings okay. Im hoping she will put me on Days for the last couple weeks.
  • I teach HS English. I will work until Christmas break and then take advantage of my STD plan (4 weeks off before EDD and 6/8 weeks after birth) to the best of my ability. I will then take off anywhere between 3-8 weeks unpaid depending on finances. Ideally, I wouldn't return at all. That might be a possibility, but I won't go back before spring break.
    imageimageimage
  • Police dispatcher. I hope to take 6 months, but it all depends on how much overtime I can bank between now and January. :-(
  • I'm a surgical technologist. The plan is to work until delivery. It's tough because we are primarily an orthopedic department, lots of total joints and spine. I cannot scrub total knees because of the bone cement, and they really attempt to limit our radiation exposure while pregnant so I don't go in spine unless they have absolutely no other choice. Today is the first full line up I've had in weeks - a rare general surgery lineup.

I will take at least six weeks off. Not sure if I will try to take the full 12.
  • mmookimmooki member
    Another teacher here.  Last time DD was born in March so I took off till the end of the school year and then had summer break.  This time, I don't have enough sick days to cover maternity leave (30, or 40 days depending how I deliver.).  I'd like to take off 12 weeks and then go back.  I'd love to never go back, but that just isn't a possibility. 
    BabyFetus Ticker

• sis180sis180 member
    I am a counselor and project coordinator. I hope to work right up until the birth, and plan to take 12 weeks off. I, too, would like to stay home for good after baby is but, but not an option right now.
  • I'm a Parent Educator at a tribal school.  We do home visits focused on child development and parenting.  I love my job and I get summers off, and I ADORE the families I work with, but our grant runs out at the end of the 14/15 school year.  I'll take 12 weeks of FMLA and then come back to see our program through to the end of the grant.  If we don't get re-funded then I'm hoping to be able to stay home for at least 2 years and finish grad school.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• amiej1227amiej1227 member
    edited June 2014
    SCADA Analyst and I plan to work up to my DD. I have about an hour drive to my office so I hope my boss will let me work from home when I get closer. My company isn't big on letting people work from home but it is up to your manager if they are okay with it and he already told me I could on an ad hoc basis. Then I want to take the full 12 weeks. I wish I could take more but I want to keep all my vacation so that I can take the baby to meet the family during the holiday season. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"