April 2014 Moms
Options

The Great Big Breastfeeding Thread

Re: The Great Big Breastfeeding Thread

• Options
    rockstarlawrockstarlaw member
    edited June 2014
    This is probably a massively stupid question, but here goes: how do you know when one boob is completely drained after LO ate off of it? Will the baby generally stop sucking on that side if he's still hungry so you know to move him to the other?

Sorry to be such a moron. I've just started one-sided feedings and I'm not sure if I should ever be moving him over to the other side. He's not yet pitched a fit on one side like he drained it and is still hungry, but he ate off one side just now for 40 minutes (my big producer, so maybe it never ran out??)
  • Options
    Thanks @celticlullaby‌ - that is helpful. I guess he was probably doing some serious comfort sucking too. It was more bothersome to me that he had been sucking away for 45 minutes on one side and I was getting uncomfortable!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @rockstarlaw‌ someone on here (I think @Rrrrrachel‌ ) said it's 1-1.25 ounces per hour. I leave 6 4oz bottles everyday. He usually goes through 4. Typical his schedule has been breast feed at 530 bottle at 730, 930, 1230, & 330 and then I'm home. The pediatrician I go to said that I shouldn't leave more then four oz but to expect him to go between 2-4 hours between feedings as breast milk is easier to digest then formula. If he seems upset then give another ounce that hasn't happened yet. (Just for comparison for you he's 11 weeks and weighed 12 lbs 8 oz at his 2 month check up

I pump at work at 10, 1230, & 330 and am usually able to get enough to replace the 4 bottles he went through a day (16oz). I always pump my other side at the 530am feeding and can usually get 4-5oz so then I can freeze a 4 oz bag too to try and increase my freezer supply.

The only time I notice decreased milk is when I don't drink enough water that day. It's super apparent! Good luck back at work!
  • Options
    My left nipple hurts. Nothing else on that boob hurts, just the nipple, and my right one is completely fine. Any ideas..??
    February Siggy Challenge: Favorite TV couple ~ Jim & Pam <3

Edolie Mae ~ April 21, 2014 <3
  • Options
    rtv3rtv3 member
    Heidiman said:

Does anyone still get mild cramping when you breastfeed? I actually didn't have cramping at all after giving birth. But in the last few weeks I have been. Seems strange. Just curious what your experiences are?

How many wks pp are you? (Mobile so I can't see siggy). I'm 6.5 weeks and will occasionally get a mild cramp or two while BFing. No idea if it's normal or not!
    image    image

With the possible exception of the equator, everything begins somewhere. - C.S.Lewis

• Options
    How do you know if your supply isn't keeping up and baby isn't getting enough????
  • Options
    @aviola329‌ - I love using the Simple Wishes Hands Free bra. I'm not sure about the sizing, but it's adjustable by Velcro in the back, and you can purchase more fabric inserts for between the breasts, as well:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00295MQLU?pc_redir=1403112244&robot_redir=1

You can also take a cheap/old sports bra (not too tight!) and make your own. Put on the bra first and then insert the funnel/flange over your nipple (under the bra). Very carefully make a small cut with scissors where the opening of the flange lands on your bra. Then stretch the fabric until you can fit the flange through the opening. Sorry if that's confusing, but I was able to make one this way while I was washing my other bra. Just make sure the cut in the fabric isn't too large since that's what creates a strong hold for you hanging pump parts.
  • Options
    hordolhordol member
    I'm feeling a bit defeated again. I took DS to his two month check yesterday and he only weighed 9 lbs. 14 oz. He hadn't had an official weight check since two weeks when he was 7 lbs. 2 oz. When we weighed him at home a week or two ago by holding him on the scale it always seemed like he was in the upper tens so I didn't worry about it. But apparently my scale sucks. I always thought that my supply was fine and that I just couldn't pump. But now I'm wondering if my supply really isn't that great. The thing that confuses me is the DS never seems hungry. He's never crying out of hunger and he's usually happy. I change him before every feeding and usually have eight feedings a day. Sometimes he gets changed in between feedings too. His wet diapers seem to be just fine. Sometimes I will change him and the insert (we cd) will be wet but not soaked, but usually the insert has a decent amount of pee on it.

He's only in the 3rd percentile for weight. He has never been a big baby but he has fallen. The pediatrician wants me to come back in a month for a weight check and in the meantime she said not to do anything different and we will just see if it is a fluke (he has a cold right now.) I also went back to work for three weeks and he was bottle-fed during the day and the amount he was fed varied depending on who the caregiver was that day. I explained paced feeding to all the caregivers but I have a feeling that they had forgotten about it because I would come home and they would tell me about all the spit-up he had. He never spits up after breast-feeding, only after the bottle so I think that he must have ate too fast. I'm wondering if that is also why his weight is so low. But who knows.

I'm just confused about how his diaper output could be good and how he never seems hungry but how his weight could be so low. Any insights? Sorry for the novel .
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Started dating February 6, 2012
    Married June 28, 2013
    BFP August 9, 2013
    Had our first baby, Samuel Robert, on April 17, 2014!

• Options
    hordolhordol member
    @LalaMama81‌ It was 7 weeks between the checks. Different scale though. This one was a digital and the last one was not. He was naked both times though.

Married June 28, 2013
    BFP August 9, 2013

• Options
    @hordol‌ I am literally going through the same thing right now. I have been going to weight checks every two weeks since the two month check up.

For us, this might just be the new normal and we aren't sure why he fell percentiles. We also discovered he had reflux, which may or may not be related.

• Options
    Holljade said:

@hordol‌ I am literally going through the same thing right now. I have been going to weight checks every two weeks since the two month check up.

For us, this might just be the new normal and we aren't sure why he fell percentiles. We also discovered he had reflux, which may or may not be related.

This - DS just had his two month appt and went from 85%at birth down to 10% but Ped. thinks that he was just a big baby at birth, and this is where he's "suppose to be". I also remind myself that some babies have to be at the bottom of the range! Ped. isn't concerned as long as he stays near that curve and gains appropriately.

For those that have been following our story (supplementing after each feeding...) Ped is giving us the go ahead to only supplement when he's showing he's still hungry (due to my stress of pumping/bottle feeding/etc) and we check again next week.
    ~ Leah, Rachel and Gabriel were born on May 27, 2013 (23 weeks) ~ Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    @LalaMama81‌ I honestly think they are more confused on why they dropped percentiles, even though they stiles gained. So for one weigh in they weren't following their "curve" if that makes sense.

I agree with you though (and you have provided me a lot of comfort during this whole thing) and thought as long as he was gaining things were going ok!

• Options
    So I ended up having to bring him back into the doc today bc we went to the ER on wed night (reflux/gas related) and he hasn't gained anything since Monday.

Wtf man. This is so frustrating!!!

• Options
    That's what I was thinking @celticlullaby‌

We took him to the ER bc he was refusing to eat and it was freaking me out bc of the weightloss stuff.

We just started treating the reflux this week- he started Zantac on Monday. I thought he was having a bad reaction to it but apparently that's really unlikely. They actually want me to up his dose!

Do you guys think I should be eating a blander diet? I now have to take samples of his stool and out them on stool cards to track and make sure there is no blood/ this is turning into such a mess!

• Options
    HolljadeHolljade member
    edited June 2014
    @haziedaze failure to thrive freaks me out- I don't want to be hindering him- i asked the pedi to give me another week.

I honestly think he didn't gain weight in the past 4 days bc the reflux acted up- if I had waited the full two weeks to go back in he would have gained. Am I just being crazy bc I want bfing to work so bad? Ugh this is tough.

I also want to add that he always seems satisfied after eating, he's meeting milestones, smiles like crazy and over all looks and acts healthy. Even the pedi said he is behaving like a healthy baby and looks healthy but you you look at the numbers he needs to be gaining.

• Options
    @holljade It sounds like you're having a lot of the same trouble I had. DS had issues with reflux and being a slow gainer for what seemed like forever.  I got him on reflux medication at five weeks, he had a really good week on those and gained really quickly, but then at around 6.5 weeks he started having trouble again.  We upped the dosage and then switched medications (Zantac to Prilosec), which helped a little. 

After all that, he still wasn't doing well (he would only eat two oz at a time, but was still acting hungry) and he had pain when feeding, so I decided to try and eliminate dairy from my diet.  Turns out that the dairy was a big culprit - in the last two weeks LO has gone from 2 oz pumped bottles to 4 oz bottles, and getting LO to eat is no longer a struggle.

Still work on getting the medication right for your LO, but maybe also keep track of what you eat and see how it effects your LO?  DS's biggest reactions were generally around the 12-24 hour mark after I ate something that upset him, but that range is different for everyone.  It could be that your LO has multiple factors affecting his tummy, which can really make it seem like what your doing isn't working.

I don't know if any of this helps you at all, but I wanted to share so you know you're not alone in this.  Keep doing what your doing - I know how frustrating it can be to feel like nothing works, but you'll get there soon mama!

• Options
    hordolhordol member
    @LalaMama81‌ my ped said that he was supposed to gain between 25-35 grams a day and he is averaging 25 a day, so he is within the range of normal but just barely. Although I have read .5-1 oz a day is average so you're right, 44 oz in 49 days isn't bad at all. I didn't really think about it in those terms until now. I don't know the conversion factor between grams and ounces but does anyone know what 25-35 grams would be? I suppose I should just google it.

Anyway, thanks for the reality check. I will try not to stress about it. She didn't want us to do a weight check for a month so it couldn't have been that concerning anyway. But she said he dropped to the 3rd percentile, but idk what percentile he was in before because they never told me at my other appointments.

Married June 28, 2013
    BFP August 9, 2013

• Options
    haziedazehaziedaze member
    edited June 2014
    @Holijade, it's really just a term that doesn't mean much. Sounds terrible though! If your baby is happy and developing, he's thriving, no matter what the weight gain. I'm not saying it isn't important to get to the bottom of what is going on, esp in your situation with days of no weight gain. Make sure it's same scale, naked, etc. Good luck! It's super stressful.

@hordol, most places say 20-30g per day and 30g=1oz. Looks like your baby is at 26 g/day so within the range of normal!

ETA

@Eireyes- so glad you figured something out that's working for your little one. Just to be clear though 4oz is a huge amount of breastmilk per feed! My DS1 didn't even take that much as a 1 year old. Some babies need that, or then go longer between feeds, but I don't want others to think that "only" taking 2oz is bad. That's what Liam is doing when DH bottle feeds at night, and it's often a struggle to get him to finish it. My husband is pretty intense about paced bottle feeding though.
    BFP#1 9/14/10 (EDD 5/21/11); no fetal pole 6w6d, 7w4d, d&c 10/8
    BFP#2 3/16/11, beta 138; 4/12 Baby/HB DS born 9/10/11 at 29w4d due to partial abruption and PTL
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    BFP#3 8/19/13 Another boy! 17P, modified bedrest and Nifedipine helped us have a termie! DS2 born 4/19/14 at 38w5d.
  • Options
    rtv3 said:

Heidiman said:

Does anyone still get mild cramping when you breastfeed? I actually didn't have cramping at all after giving birth. But in the last few weeks I have been. Seems strange. Just curious what your experiences are?

How many wks pp are you? (Mobile so I can't see siggy). I'm 6.5 weeks and will occasionally get a mild cramp or two while BFing. No idea if it's normal or not!
    I am 8 weeks pp tomorrow. The cramps are mild for me too. I just didn't know how common that was. Mine started around 5-6 weeks. So weird. Maybe my uterus is slow to respond. Thanks for your response!!
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    @haziedaze‌ that's a relief- that phrase is super scary sounding!!

@Eireyes ‌ thanks for sharing your story! I am wondering which foods to eliminate)if any) the stool card I have are supposed to monitor changes in his stool as compared to what I eat (although I hear if can take 10 day to notice changes in the stool from what you ate so not sure how much we will know by next week)

I feel so overwhelmed right now!

Also if I cut out all the foods that could be the culprit- what can I eat? Just meat?

• Options
    The diet thing is tricky. The most likely culprits are dairy and soy. I would cut those first. There are onto me others, though, and it can vary wildly from baby to baby and be kind of award to figure out. If dairy and soy doesn't help you may need to go on a hard core elimination diet. I'll try to find you some resources and post them if no one else gets to it first.
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Here's some basic info. You would only want to do this as a last resort, for obvious reasons! https://www.askdrsears.com/topics/feeding-eating/feeding-infants-toddlers/food-allergies/elimination-diet
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
  • Options
    @‌ Holljade
    The elimination diet is tough but so very worth it. I started with dairy (and all forms - whey, casein, etc) and soy (same drill, all forms). LO got much better but it takes a few weeks for the proteins to flush your and your lo's system (approx 2-3 weeks). Now that the rotavirus is gone, he's back gaining like a champ!
    If you need any pointers etc., let me know. Happy to help! :)
  • Options
    @thejewelster‌ thanks! I will probably need meal ideas if I decide to go on it.

I have never had to eliminate anything before, but if it helps my little guy then so be it!

• Options

@holljade - I wouldn't change your diet at the same time you're changing reflux meds or dose. Otherwise you'll never know if it's the medicine or the diet that made a difference, kwim? I wouldn't want to eliminate a bunch of food unless it really was the cause of the problem.

I am going to give it until next fri and see how his weight is at the doctors. It should give the meds enough time to kick in as well

• Options
    @holljade If you do go the elimination route, try and eliminate one thing at a time, it makes discerning the culprit easier! I agree that it will take a little time to completely flush all protiens, but with my LO I saw a change in a week, and am continuing to see changes now that I'm at the end of week two, starting week three.  One way to really see if a food is the culprit, eliminate it, and then deliberately eat some of it after a week or two.  It sounds mean, but it's the easiest and quickest way to confirm a suspicion.

Good luck, and keep us posted! By then, I should have a bunch of substitution tricks :-)

• Options
    That doesn't help much if it's more than one thing. Most elimination diets have you eliminate everything and then add back one at a time.
  • Options
    I'm probably over thinking this but do you ladies use anything special to transport your pumped milk home/to your daycare provider, nanny etc.? I'm in New England so summers are really hot and I'm worried about the milk warming on my way home from work/when my SIL picks up DD. Is it worth it to invest in 2 of the Medela cooler bags?
  • Options
    @Ashleyahann‌ I've been transporting in an insulated lunch bag with ice packs and haven't had any issues with it getting warm. This has been for trips to family events which have been 4-6 hours.
    ~ Leah, Rachel and Gabriel were born on May 27, 2013 (23 weeks) ~ Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    LO is throwing a new challenge in the last week or so. He latches and then pops off a few seconds later. We go through this over and over on each side (with one maybe 30 second long part). He then screams and screams like he's starving but does the same thing if I try to put him back on. Not sure how much more my nipples can take! Anyone experienced this?

**Warning - Child Mentioned**

Me: 33, DH: 39   Unexplained Infertility

4 IUIs (chlomid) in 2013 which resulted in DS born in April 2014

TTC #2 since August 2015

5 rounds of IUIs (1 chlomid: resistent, 1 femara, 3 gonal f) = all BFN

ER March 9: 26 eggs retrieved, 19 mature and 17 fertilized, 8 made it to genetic testing, 4 normal!

FET #1 5/31 = BFN

FET#2 7/26 = BFP!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    @rachnan yes. Ugh. It usually means he needs to be burped.

If he still won't latch on and sooth with anything I can and get him to go to sleep.

It's so stressful I need to to eat!!

• Options
    Looking for advice or suggestions regarding suspected low supply. I feel like I'm in a unique situation because LO has more than enough wet/poopie diapers and gains weight adequately (typically 5-7 oz. per week) BUT there are several feeds during the day when he just does NOT seem satisfied. He starts out whimpering/pulling off at the breast which prompts me to switch nurse several times on each breast, but often it turns into a full blown tantrum. We both get so frustrated that I often resort to giving him a bottle and that does the trick. I was trying to get him down last night for almost 2 hours before giving in. It's also worth mentioning he likes to eat every 1-1.5 hours it seems and feeds for an average of 30 min., Which makes me feel as if I am CONSTANTLY BF --while adding to my low supply concerns.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and what to do if anything? I just can't stand to see LO upset when I know a bottle will solve the problem, but at the same time I feel like I'm shooting myself in the foot by supplementing. Although I have intentions of pumping whenever supplementing, it rarely happens, because I'm always BF or holding him. I should mention that when supplementing this way he'll take anywhere from 2-4 additional ounces, which seems like a lot.

If you got this far, thanks for reading...
    WWYD?

Off BC since 9/10;TTC since 7/11
    Me: 31 DH: 31
    DX: PCOS/anovulatory/Hypothyroid
    SA: normal
    HSG: all clear
    5 cycles of Clomid/Femara + TI
    IUI #1 (7/16/12) Femara 2.5,+ Trigger=BFN
    Treatment break Aug. 2012-June 2013
    IUI #2 (7/27/13)=BFP!!!
    Beta #1 @ 13dpiui --145!
    Beta #2 @ 19dpiui--2,550!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    littlesockslittlesocks member
    edited June 2014
    I can't remember where I saw this but I thought I read that babies drink about the same number of ounces of milk between 1-6 months. Is this true? Does our milk just gradually get richer? Or do they just not need more calories even though they are bigger?
    If this is the case what happens when they go through a growth spurt? If they aren't eating more are they somehow signaling our bodies to change our milk composition?

Edit: I found where I read it. I guess during a growth spurt they temporarily drink more. https://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/pumping/milkcalc/
    I just started back to work last week and our sitter mentioned that my DD drank a lot on Friday. I was struggling to pump enough to replace the amount she drank. She is 13 weeks tomorrow.
    I don't even know if I have a question here. I guess I'm not sure how to pump during a growth spurt because my body isn't used to producing the amount required for said spurt
  • Options
    Looking for advice or suggestions regarding suspected low supply. I feel like I'm in a unique situation because LO has more than enough wet/poopie diapers and gains weight adequately (typically 5-7 oz. per week) BUT there are several feeds during the day when he just does NOT seem satisfied. He starts out whimpering/pulling off at the breast which prompts me to switch nurse several times on each breast, but often it turns into a full blown tantrum. We both get so frustrated that I often resort to giving him a bottle and that does the trick. I was trying to get him down last night for almost 2 hours before giving in. It's also worth mentioning he likes to eat every 1-1.5 hours it seems and feeds for an average of 30 min., Which makes me feel as if I am CONSTANTLY BF --while adding to my low supply concerns. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and what to do if anything? I just can't stand to see LO upset when I know a bottle will solve the problem, but at the same time I feel like I'm shooting myself in the foot by supplementing. Although I have intentions of pumping whenever supplementing, it rarely happens, because I'm always BF or holding him. I should mention that when supplementing this way he'll take anywhere from 2-4 additional ounces, which seems like a lot. If you got this far, thanks for reading... WWYD?

I'm experiencing almost the identical situation and it's progressing getting worse (though we have had some challenges in the weight gain department) I have decided to start pumping during the day and BF at night so I can see how much he is getting at each feed and will use formula in addition to my pumped milk as needed. Not sure that's helpful but some of the other ladies probably have some insight.

**Warning - Child Mentioned**

Me: 33, DH: 39   Unexplained Infertility

4 IUIs (chlomid) in 2013 which resulted in DS born in April 2014

TTC #2 since August 2015

5 rounds of IUIs (1 chlomid: resistent, 1 femara, 3 gonal f) = all BFN

ER March 9: 26 eggs retrieved, 19 mature and 17 fertilized, 8 made it to genetic testing, 4 normal!

FET #1 5/31 = BFN

FET#2 7/26 = BFP!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    @ccollins06‌ it sounds like what is went through with LO. He was gaining something like 20oz in 2 weeks, tons of wet diapers but never seemed satisfied. Turns out we had a nice combination of reflux and a minor supply issue. Have you done a weighed feed?
    ~Chrissy 

• Options
    I need help! My right nipple has been ridiculously sore & every time he latches on it burns & hurts so bad it takes my breath away. I have to use a shield in order to bf or it won't happen, seen the LC multiple times for this & we can't get rid of it.
    I've moved the shield around to make sure my nipple is centered & not crooked or anything. I keep using cream & the Medela soothing gel pads with no relief. It stops hurting after a few mins into him nursing but holy shit what can I do?!
    NTNP 11/2011 CP 11/29/12 BFP 8/6/13 EDD 4/16/14 ♥ 
    Logan Timothy - Born 4/5/14 @ 38w3d, 7lbs14.8oz, 20½in.
    imageimage
  • Options
    @Rrrrrachel‌

You always seem to know the answers to everything so I will ask you :) but f anyone else know please comment!!

During the day I feed my daughter on demand. When she gets fussy I will let her comfort suck. She normally lets me know durin the day when she is hungry bc she will cry and nothin will soothe her but nursing. Well during the night I just kind of wing it. She never cries or fusses but she will get restless so I feed her. I guess my question is how do I know when to get her and try feeding or just let her rustle around until she falls back asleep?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"