Stay at Home Moms
Options

UO

Let's spice it up this week. Anyone got anything good?

Re: UO

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think tipping is out of control.
    I could really use some kind of flow chart.
    DD - 12/31/13
  • Options
    I don't see the point of letting your high school kid do their last year of high school online just because that's what they want to do. This might be flame worthy, but I just don't get it. These are typically developed children that were always in extra curricular activities and all of a sudden decided to finish school at home. I think there is so much to be missed in that last year. I know high school isn't sunshine and roses for everyone, but this seems strange to me. School me if I'm wrong. And it' a post and run because we're off to swim.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

C  7.16.2008 | L  11.12.2010 | A  3.18.2013

• Options
    cjcouple said:

CnAmom said:

I think five year olds are big huge jerks.

I love age 5. :-)  
    Me too! It is seriously one if my favorite ages so far.
  • Options
    I hate seeing guys in shorter than average shorts. It's just really unattractive to me.
    BFP #1: DD born on 08.25.12 BFP #2: 09/08/15 miscarried at 6w BFP #3: DD2 born on 02.07.17
  • Options
    Aussie45 said:
    I hate seeing guys in shorter than average shorts. It's just really unattractive to me.

cue someone saying "my DH is so tall"
  • Options
    Aussie45 said:
    I think a lot of servers have a serious entitlement issue when it comes to their job. I have zero issues with tipping someone well who does a good job, and I generally always tip. There have been a few times where they've just been beyond awful and I haven't tipped them well. People don't deserve 20% just because they show up to work and half-ass their job or are super bitchy throughout the whole meal.
    While I do agree, you realize that servers don't make minimum wage in most states. And your tip is really just restaurants keeping their prices 20% lower. In NJ servers make $2.12/hour before tips. It's, frankly, disgusting that they're allowed to be paid so little.

This is what kills me. I would rather pay more for food than feel like I have to tip 20% and I do feel like that because our servers literally take home nothing with out tips,
  • Options
    auroraloo said:
    The concept of tipping at all is ridiculous. It's ridiculous to think that someone only does a good job because they are rewarded with extra money. They should do a good job because it's THEIR JOB.

I say  this as someone who receives tips at her job.  

And I do tip. I just don't think I should have to. Employers should pay their employees a decent wage and fire those that don't earn it.

Meh, as a server I'd rather get paid shit by my employers and get tips from customers. I'm providing a service to the customer. They pay the business for the food and the server for the service. Makes sense. Plus I make like $20+/hr in tips. I'd rather make that than minimum wage.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    letranger said:
    My husband is short. If he wore shorts below his knee it would look awful.

I can see how this makes a difference. My husband is ridiculously tall shorts above the knee are terrible on him.
  • Options

Aussie45 said:

I think a lot of servers have a serious entitlement issue when it comes to their job.

I have zero issues with tipping someone well who does a good job, and I generally always tip. There have been a few times where they've just been beyond awful and I haven't tipped them well. People don't deserve 20% just because they show up to work and half-ass their job or are super bitchy throughout the whole meal.

While I do agree, you realize that servers don't make minimum wage in most states. And your tip is really just restaurants keeping their prices 20% lower. In NJ servers make $2.12/hour before tips. It's, frankly, disgusting that they're allowed to be paid so little.

I know it's disgusting which is why even if they didn't do an awesome job I still tip 20%. I'm well aware of what servers make and there needs to be changes made as far as waiters and waitresses are concerned. It's ridiculous that they aren't even be paid minimum wage.

I still stand by my statement though, if you're a horrible server and bitchy the whole time then you won't get a tip. I can probably count on one hand the times this has happened.
    BFP #1: DD born on 08.25.12 BFP #2: 09/08/15 miscarried at 6w BFP #3: DD2 born on 02.07.17
  • Options
    I like this article

https://www.foodbeast.com/2014/06/09/this-restaurant-issued-an-absolute-ban-on-tipping-its-servers/

It sounds like from what the article said, that it's way better for the servers. I would love for this to be a law all over and have happier servers in general.
  • Options
    Also, servers are usually paying host/hostess and busser wages out of their tips. They have to tip out a percentage of their sales every shift, and it doesn't matter if they had a horrible night and someone basically stiffed them on a $200 tab.

I agree it would simplify things a lot if everyone was just paid a flat rate in the service industry, but it's never going to happen.
  • Options
    amy052006 said:
    Fun fact -- when I bartended 86778968756 years ago, I made over minimum wage AND tips!  Unions, 4eva.
    One of my bartending jobs after college paid me $8.50 an hour (I think min. was $5.15 back then) plus tips. I made an insane amount of money. That definitely wasn't the norm, though.
  • Options
    cjcouple said:

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe if a server does not make enough in tips for their shift to equal the minimum wage for those hours worked the restaurant is required to pay out the difference??  

I've never heard of this before. That would be nice, especially for servers who do a good job and then get stiffed on a big tip because of some cheap ass.
  • Options
    cjcouple said:
    Correct me if I am wrong but I believe if a server does not make enough in tips for their shift to equal the minimum wage for those hours worked the restaurant is required to pay out the difference??  
    This was true in AZ when I waited.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

C  7.16.2008 | L  11.12.2010 | A  3.18.2013

• Options
    cjcouple said:
    Yup I just looked it up my query on department of labor
    It is called a minimum wage requirement for tipped employees. 
    Yes, but as I recall, it's not per shift, it's per pay period. It very rarely happens that they don't average minimum wage over two weeks.
  • Options
    DC2London said:

Given the shenanigans with GM and Ford, I really do not understand why anyone would buy an American car.  Plus, I don't think I've ever driven one that didn't feel like driving a boat.

Shenanigans?
  • Options
    I love camping. Hate short shorts on men. And hate people that don't think shitty servers deserve shitty tips

My uo is that I think it's ridiculous when people use their ipad as a camera. Her is an example I took last weekend at the hot air balloon festival.

DS1 4.4.11. &  DS2 4.18.13
  • Options
    But what about Thomas Magnum? He rocked the short shorts, yes?

He also rocked a gigantic hairy mustache, but that's not something I want to see on my DH anytime soon.
  • Options
    amy052006 said:
    Mrs.Hizzo said:

He also rocked a gigantic hairy mustache, but that's not something I want to see on my DH anytime soon.
    But he still had that mustache as Richard!  Are you really saying you would not get with Richard???????
    I don't think I would get with Richard.
  • Options
    amy052006 said:
    Mrs.Hizzo said:
    amy052006 said:
    Mrs.Hizzo said:

But he still had that mustache as Richard!  Are you really saying you would not get with Richard???????
    I don't think I would get with Richard.
    I don't understand.
    It's like he has a small animal nesting on his upper lip.
  • Options
    DC2London said:
    Given the shenanigans with GM and Ford, I really do not understand why anyone would buy an American car.  Plus, I don't think I've ever driven one that didn't feel like driving a boat.
    I love my big, 11 year old, Chrysler Intrepid boat. When I drive it I feel like I'm gliding along on a cruise ship. It's the best car I've ever driven or owned, and I'm going to be sad when it dies because they don't make them anymore.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I just hate men's thighs is general. It's generally thick and hairy; I just don't care to see it. Even for DH, I hate to see his thighs. He likes to make a point of telling me about every guy who has shorter than normal shorts :-&
  • Options
    I agree with the whole toppings is ridiculous. I'd rather the restaurant charged me more for food then me being obligated to tip. It's probably FFFC but no I do not tip well unless service blew my mind. I don't believe it's my job to provide server's paycheck. It should be the restaurant's. Am i cheap? Yeah I am.
  • Options
    Aussie45Aussie45 member
    edited June 2014
    Yep need to hit the knee.
    The one on the far right [-X

ETA: Actually anything besides the far left one. Especially the far right one though.
  • Options
    Aussie45 said:

olga1311 said:

I agree with the whole toppings is ridiculous. I'd rather the restaurant charged me more for food then me being obligated to tip. It's probably FFFC but no I do not tip well unless service blew my mind. I don't believe it's my job to provide server's paycheck. It should be the restaurant's. Am i cheap? Yeah I am.

Whether or not you don't believe it's your job to provide the server's paycheck, it IS. It's not being cheap, it's just being an ass.

We'll have to agree to disagree. I do tip don't get me wrong but I won't tip 15% on the regular basis. I don't really count the percentages every time, just tip what seems reasonable to me. I tip based on service not based on obligation.
  • Options
    olga1311 said:
    olga1311 said:
    Whether or not you don't believe it's your job to provide the server's paycheck, it IS. It's not being cheap, it's just being an ass.
    We'll have to agree to disagree. I do tip don't get me wrong but I won't tip 15% on the regular basis. I don't really count the percentages every time, just tip what seems reasonable to me. I tip based on service not based on obligation.
    It's not agreeing to disagree. It's about being a decent human being. 15% is standard and 20% is becoming the norm. To pay less than that is just a big eff you to your server.

You are the person that servers complain about. They can do a good job and it won't matter because you're going to stiff them anyways.
  • Options

olga1311 said:
    olga1311 said:
    WTF? I tip 17-18% for shitty service and 20% for standard, up to 25% for exceptional. Under 15% on a regular basis is terrible! Even if you disagree with tipping on principle, it's how servers earn a living. Build 20% in your mind when budgeting for a night out or fucking stay home.
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    olga1311olga1311 member
    edited June 2014

olga1311 said:

WTF? Then you need to eat at home. Whether you like it or not servers are paid by tips, if you refuse to tip or are a crappy tipper then eat at home. This is a huge character issue in my book. My dad always told me never marry, be friends with or do business with a shitty tipper. He was right.

Didn't you yourself say that tipping is out of control? Or was it someone else maybe ? I might have confused you with someone.

As far as character flaw - maybe it is. I guess we won't be friends then ? :) this is an UO thread and I totally understand how this is truly an UO and no one agrees with me. I do.

Not only restaurants but every single service someone performs for you ( carpet cleaner, car wash, anything really) everyone expects a tip. WTF? I work hard for my money, I pay the quoted price that the service provider sets, I shouldn't be paying them anything extra. If they want to get paid more, quote me higher price. I can kind of understand the restaurant tipping ( I do tip just not as well as most ppl) but can't get behind tipping everyone around you just for providing you an agreed upon paid service!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"