June 2014 Moms

6/13 breast feeding/pumping check in

Re: 6/13 breast feeding/pumping check in

• I try to pump every 90 mins or so (either after a nursing session or during nap time). How often do you guys pump at night? I'm having hubby wake me very 3 hours or so but I don't know if I should be getting up more

• @lest12‌ from the time my doctors office signed and sent the script into the medical supplier for the BP it only took about a week for it to show up at my house. So hopefully there isn't a big gap of time for you.
  • Loading the player...
  • lest12lest12 member
    Thanks, @katekat8721‌ & @Cherylwang‌! Happy to have 1 less thing to worry about now :)

image        image

• lest12 said:

Thanks, @katekat8721‌ & @Cherylwang‌! Happy to have 1 less thing to worry about now :)

No prob :) you may want to ask the nurses there too to set you up with a LC while you're at the hospital too. Sometimes they do it automatically but sometimes you have to ask for a referral. When I was there I had to ask but she came every day I was there.

• lest12lest12 member
    I'm definitely going to ask if one doesn't come! I want all the help I can get :)

image        image

• jshropjshrop member

@CDK211‌ and @jshrop‌ thanks! I have been doing every 3 hours so that will probably be helpful. How long do you let LO feed for? That's what I meant by two hour feedings. Noah sometimes takes an hour or more to feed (he falls asleep a lot).

Oh! Lol!! She eats from 20-30 min every time. She falls asleep a lot so I'll tickle her feet or talk to her to wake her. I've heard of changing their diaper before they eat to wake them or strip them to just a diaper. You'll figure out something that works for you ;)
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
    June '14 September Siggy challenge- Favorite things about fall

• @shellbell813‌ I was at the ICU for a day because my uterus would not stop bleeding after delivery. I couldnt start bfing until 2 days later so my LO was taking formula. I just kept putting her to my breast and pumping right after to stimulate more. I get about an oz every time i pump and then i supplement her with another oz of formula. Lately i have been getting more so LO is only drinking about two ozs of formula a day. Yes that means she can be on my breast every hour because i have not having enough milk but the LC said thats the only way to get more. I guess we just have to suffer through it! I am hoping to wean her off formula entirely by next week. Good luck to both of us!
  • I'm on day 11 from birth and when I try to pump I only get a few drops :( literally a few droplets. He is eating a d making wet/poopy diapers but in small amts. He was 8.85 at birth and 7.4 on day 4 :( He gained 3 oz since then. Pediatrician said keep nursing and not to supplement yet if I don't want to but last night I broke down and used a bit of formula bc he was still hungry and my boobs had nothing left. Ugh it's so frustrating! Where is my milk?!?! He also falls asleep at the boob! :/
  • I'm on day 11 from birth and when I try to pump I only get a few drops :( literally a few droplets. He is eating a d making wet/poopy diapers but in small amts. He was 8.85 at birth and 7.4 on day 4 :( He gained 3 oz since then. Pediatrician said keep nursing and not to supplement yet if I don't want to but last night I broke down and used a bit of formula bc he was still hungry and my boobs had nothing left. Ugh it's so frustrating! Where is my milk?!?! He also falls asleep at the boob! :/

I got rid of my breast pump sometime after LO2 BC I got nothing out of it with my first two babies. I'm not even bothering getting one now BC my insurance doesn't cover one and it seems like a waste. Some women just don't get any milk when we pump.
    I went through the same thing with LO2. I broke down in the hospital and gave some formula BC she was so fussy and I was exhausted. With this LO I went through almost the same thing but this time I refused to supplement. It wasn't easy wither way so don't feel bad about your decision!!!! My LO is sleepy at the breast too, it's like playing a game, what will wake him up this time. What all the PP said, take off their clothes, tickle their feet, change the way you hold them even, try diff things. It'll get better!!!

Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • laramtlaramt member
    I took my son to the doc today because he has a blocked tear duct. His two check up was supposed to be Monday, but they did it today instead. When he was born he weighed 7lbs 15oz and went down to 7lbs 6oz when we were discharged. Today, 12 days old he is weighing in at 8lbs 3oz. I forgot to ask the ped how often/much I should be feeding LO now. He is being ebf. Does anyone know how often I should be feeding him?
  • @laramt‌ feed whenever baby asks for it. Oncecpast birth weight, as long as they have wet diapers regularly, you should be good to go.

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

• QT3.14QT3.14 member
    lest12 said:

Hi ladies! You guys are rockstars! I've been reading along... one of the benefits to being due later in the month is getting to learn from all of you early June moms :)

Can I ask a question here? It's a logistical thing, I'm not actually bf-ing yet :) but I don't know where else to ask.

My insurance covers my bp, but what I found out this week is they don't send it without a prescription, and my dr's office doesn't send the prescription until I deliver... so there's going to be some gap there.

Is this ok? Normal? Should I be looking for an alternative at this point?

TIA for the insight :)

See if they will overnight it to you. It doesn't hurt to ask. I found it useful having one in the hospital because 1) the lactation consultant will show you how to use it and 2) as a first time bfer it was helpful to use the pump to experience what bfing should feel like
  • jshropjshrop member

@laramt‌ feed whenever baby asks for it. Oncecpast birth weight, as long as they have wet diapers regularly, you should be good to go.

WSS^ I feed when baby demands lol. Also, what did your doc recommend for the blocked tear duct? I thought my LO was having that problem and I read to put a few drops of breast milk in it. The gunk cleared out but I'm not sure if it's still blocked or not.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
    June '14 September Siggy challenge- Favorite things about fall

• laramtlaramt member
    jshrop said:

@laramt‌ feed whenever baby asks for it. Oncecpast birth weight, as long as they have wet diapers regularly, you should be good to go.

WSS^ I feed when baby demands lol. Also, what did your doc recommend for the blocked tear duct? I thought my LO was having that problem and I read to put a few drops of breast milk in it. The gunk cleared out but I'm not sure if it's still blocked or not.
    The doc prescribed eye drops for 5 days to clear gunk. Warm compress wash cloth starting from the outside in to massage the duct (several times a day) and squirt breast milk in everyday. She said it is likely he will have it for 6-12months! I asked my mum and she said I had the same thing as him and she just used breast milk and it went away at 6months. Hope this helps!
  • I'm block feeding to try and deal with oversupply...my second/third letdowns are both progressively stronger than the first. Its ridiculous. Poor little man is doing great, though it would be nice if he'd stop biting my nipple in an attempt to stop the flow! Even nursing with him above my breast doesn't seem to help, though I'm keeping at it.

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

• laramt said:

jshrop said:

The doc prescribed eye drops for 5 days to clear gunk. Warm compress wash cloth starting from the outside in to massage the duct (several times a day) and squirt breast milk in everyday. She said it is likely he will have it for 6-12months! I asked my mum and she said I had the same thing as him and she just used breast milk and it went away at 6months. Hope this helps!

6-12 months?? Like, it'll be a persistent issue until then? My LO had a clogged duct last week and after a few drops of breast milk and frequent massaging, it cleared up in a few days. We've been watching it since then and his eye hasn't been gunky. I guess I'll keep watching for it.
  • sumochiksumochik member
    edited June 2014
    @laramt‌
    Every two to three hours. Some of the ladies posted some really good links here and in the other thread about BF. I use the baby feed app on my phone and honestly compared to my other two LOs I feel a lot less stressed about wondering whether or not I'm feeding often enough.

Edit: yes what PP said, I breastfeed on demand as well but on average it's about 2-3 hours in between feelings.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • laramtlaramt member
    @caitb413‌ I know. It sounds insane. She said it may not. Be don't be worried if it does last that long. There is a procedure that an eye doctor can do apparently. It takes no longer than getting an injection. But she said we wouldn't discuss that until he's 6 months. We'll see.

For now I'm going to hope the breast milk clears it all up.
  • @laramt‌ Interesting, the nurse we spoke to about the duct said to just massage with a warm cloth, never mentioned any procedures. The milk should do the trick- the LC I saw in the hospital was saying that breast milk helps everything- eczema, baby acne... She said it's a miracle worker, haha.
  • I have had huge full of milk breasts today - more so than ever before. They are sore and even though LO is eating every two hours and I pumped today they are still full and it's really annoying. Even my "dud" breast leaked.. I haven't done anything different than normal.
  • Am I missing some technique to increase supply? I'm nursing and/or pumping every 2 hrs (LO falls asleep and so I pump for 30 min after and feed him the bottle of what I get out. He was a preemie and is doing well with nursing, just tires quickly), drinking Mother's Milk tea, chugging water, eating lactation cookies, and taking fenugreek supplements. I am still having to raid the freezer stash for 2-3 feedings a day. Anything else I can do to increase supply? I'll pump and get 6 oz one time and get all excited, and then get 1.5 oz another time. I don't get it.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    imageimage
    October Siggy challenge, costume fail
  • @JujuB22‌ have LO nurse as much as possible, and pump for 10-15 minutes after you empty. It will tell your body to increase supply in a way that those other things only help while you continue to do them. Also keep in mind that what you pump is not necessarily indicative of what LO is getting. Babies are way better at getting milk than pumps are.

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

• THEY WON'T STOP LEAKING!!!!! Even after I pump and/or breastfeed they leak like faucets! I mean, I know this means my supply is in really well, but my breast pads do nothing to hold back the leakage. I've had to resort to stuffing a hand towel down in my sports bra. (Which makes them look even bigger, so of course DH is enjoying that lmao.) And they get so huge and painful within like an hour and a half of "deflation" x(
  • fsumomfsumom member
    No wonder DS was losing weight. He's not getting enough nursing. I don't think my supply is low but maybe his latch is the issue. He nursed for over an hour this morning and got less than an ounce :(. I'm not sure what to do at this point. I did get Fenugreek just in case. I'm hoping the scale is accurate as it seemed to weigh him differently each time.
    ~Jessica~ 

• CJnKR2014 said:

THEY WON'T STOP LEAKING!!!!! Even after I pump and/or breastfeed they leak like faucets! I mean, I know this means my supply is in really well, but my breast pads do nothing to hold back the leakage. I've had to resort to stuffing a hand towel down in my sports bra. (Which makes them look even bigger, so of course DH is enjoying that lmao.) And they get so huge and painful within like an hour and a half of "deflation" x(

Is that an oversupply issue I wonder? I'm not sure what you could do about it, so hopefully our experts chime in! I'm sorry your bewbs are outta control though!

• @CJnKR2014, I'm not leaking too much outside of feeding, but I do have oversupply.  I'm trying block feeding for a while to see if that fixes the issue.  Kellymom.com has a great explanation of it if you google.  So far it seems to be doing well and he's sleeping better, I assume because he's getting enough of the fattier hindmilk. 

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

• @emilyh107‌ i was told that lumps is normal. Its the milk ducts (?) full of milk.
  • My milk came in last night and DD cluster fed for 6 hours. This morning I had to use a nipple shield because I think my let down was too fast for her. She still only eats off one side at a time and my boobs are still pretty engorged afterwards... I'm assuming this is normal? Will they sort of regulate themselves at some point? Should I try to pump?
  • Pepper6 said:

My milk came in last night and DD cluster fed for 6 hours. This morning I had to use a nipple shield because I think my let down was too fast for her. She still only eats off one side at a time and my boobs are still pretty engorged afterwards... I'm assuming this is normal? Will they sort of regulate themselves at some point? Should I try to pump?

They will regulate at some point. I used to pump to take the edge off because being engorged was really painful and uncomfortable. I would pump until I wasn't in pain anymore. I did end up with a crazy oversupply- I'm not really sure if the pumping had anything to do with it.

For the ladies who have a fast letdown and their LO doesn't like it, I used to break the latch when I could feel let down start and wait for the intitial spraying to end then resume nursing. It seemed to help us a lot last time around.
  • Does anyone do more pumping then breast feeding? My NICU baby has trouble latching. Even with a shield we struggle and with her bring so slow and lazy I don't have 2 hrs for her to eat one session. I feel bad but I have other step kids as its summer and I need sleep. I pump and bottle feed it to her most times. We bf to bond as it has become so much less stressful for me that way.

Questions though. How much milk do I get when I pump? Any advice on how to empty all the way?
  • RedMarRedMar member
    I can't help but sing "these nips are on fire" in sync w Alicia Keys as I feed Avi.
    He relieves his gas pain by violently pulling on me during feedings. I have horrific images of me posing for national geographic's next issue with the way my nips are being stretched out.
    I am using lanolin, organic coconut oil, and cooling pads but they're only providing temporary relief.
    Nights are definitely worse than days as he is usually screaming until 3am. The gas drops haven't done much and he will not take a pacifier or bottle nipple.
    I'm going to attempt pumping today to see if that will help with fake nip transition.
    Has anyone had luck with the "I love you" Tummy massage? The YouTube videos creep me out but I'm willing to try anything at this point!!!
  • RedMarRedMar member
    For ladies having issues with supply, I've heard alfalfa, flax seeds and barley (in beer) help with milk production
  • RedMarRedMar member
    For ladies having issues with supply, I've heard alfalfa, flax seeds and barley (in beer) help with milk production
  • QT3.14QT3.14 member
    RedMar said:
    I can't help but sing "these nips are on fire" in sync w Alicia Keys as I feed Avi. He relieves his gas pain by violently pulling on me during feedings. I have horrific images of me posing for national geographic's next issue with the way my nips are being stretched out. I am using lanolin, organic coconut oil, and cooling pads but they're only providing temporary relief. Nights are definitely worse than days as he is usually screaming until 3am. The gas drops haven't done much and he will not take a pacifier or bottle nipple. I'm going to attempt pumping today to see if that will help with fake nip transition. Has anyone had luck with the "I love you" Tummy massage? The YouTube videos creep me out but I'm willing to try anything at this point!!!
    For fake nip transition you can try putting a small drop of sugar water on the nipple. The LC in the hospital used this trick to get LO to latch to a nipple shield. It would probably work for a pacifier or bottle nipple too.
  • Those who are pumping... How many ounces does your baby eat from a bottle at one time?
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"