1st Trimester
Options

prenatal vitamins: which are the best?

i just started taking the one a day prenatal vitamins, but i am definitely open to suggestions and input from other mommies out there! which prenatal vitamins are the best, in your opinion? please let me know
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: prenatal vitamins: which are the best?

• Options
    abbyfulabbyful member
    I take New Chapter Perfect Prenatal & Nordic Naturals Prenatal DHA.

Extra vitamin D is also good to take. I take 4,000 IU additional.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    People on here take a variety of different vitamins.  Personally I take the Target brand Up & Up prenatal vitamins with a separate DHA supplement.  Find one that you can stomach and keep down.  
    Married on October 20, 2012.  Began trying in January 2013.
    RE appointment & testing December 2013 - February 2014= Unexplained IF, possible endometriosis
    IUI#1- March 22 (100mg clomid, 75 mg of Bravelle, Ovidrel trigger) = BFP!!!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Theres so many and really most are just perfectly adequate. I recommend anything with a DHA supplement. You may also find some brands make you more nauseous than others and could have to go through a few different brands before finding the right one.
  • Options
    You're going to get a shit ton of suggestions.  There is no one go to out there.  It will end up being up to you and how your body reacts to them.  

I take a liquid prenatal because the pills in my first pregnancy made me gag.  With this one I just stuck to that.  I mix it into my orange juice every morning. 
  • Options
    Amen re: picking whatever you can keep down.  I was taking the NatureMade ones I could get at Costco but they were huge and reeked/tasted of fish (sardine AND anchovy!) and I could barely get them down when I felt great.  Now that I have nausea, they're a no go - I'm having the Up and Up chewies that someone else on here recommended.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    MichaelSC28MichaelSC28 member
    edited May 2014

I am taking the RainbowLight Prenatal one. Its a food based, vegan, gluten-fee pill, it was the only one that I didn't get nauseas with or cause me other negative symptoms.

I tried others just not a good mix with me. I would definelty suggest just trying till you find the one right for you.

Good Luck! :)

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    drpaynedrpayne member
    Just read the ingredients.  Red dye 40 and other junk have no place in prenatals.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Whatever you can keep down without having side effects is the route to take.

I was taking Nature's Made with DHA for the first two or 3 months but it caused diarrhea and I could only take it at night because it caused me to burp up the lovely iron taste. 

I switched over to CVS gummy ones. They are cheaper (cvs does a LOT of BOGO's on them), don't taste bad and had 0 effect on my bowels (both in the no runs, and the only have constipation 1 time this pregnancy) . They do lack iron so make sure you keep up with getting that in your foods if you do switch over to gummies.
    BFP: July 2013 M/C August 5, 2013
    BFP: October 22, 2013 EDD: June 21, 2014
    Baby boy arrived June 23, 2014

BFP: February 2016 EDD: October 17, 2016
  • Options
    msmeg26msmeg26 member
    I'm taking a gummy daily one and additional gummy vitamin d since my labs came back and I'm deficient. Also taking additional folic acid.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I take the Rainbow Light Prenatal Ones. They are awesome!!!! Food-based so your body can absorb the nutrients better and they do not make you sick.
  • Options
    Progressive Prenatal
  • Options
    jaymo517jaymo517 member
    edited June 2014
    I was taking the Naturemade + DHA from Costco as well. They're huge and I was sick every time I took it. My OB recommended Vitafol Ultra and wrote me a script for them. Couple nice things about them: they're small (like Advil size), no after taste or nausea, they have folate instead of folic acid which I'm told is absorbed better by your body, and lastly insurance covered the script! Just my two cents, good luck finding what's right for you!
  • Options
    My OB told me that she could prescribe me expensive stuff if I wanted it, but that all I needed was an OTC Prenatal Vitamin which contained at least 800mg of Folic Acid and Omega 3. Other than that, brands don't really matter. She seems pretty down to earth :) I like her.
    imageimage
  • Options
    I have a hard time taking vitamins especially with morning sickness. I love PreNexa but it's pretty expensive. It's one pill a day with DHA and a stool softener. It is a prescription though so you would need to talk to your doctor.
  • Options
    My Doc recommended a combo pack (Folic Acid and DHA) by VitaMed. They are $15 a month and are auto shipped to you. At first they made me nauseous - so now I take them at night right before bed. With no issues.
  • Options
    I was taking New Chapter Perfect Prenatal while TTC.  I loved them.  I changed to Rainbow Light Prenatal One and Rainbow Light DHA when I ran out of New Chapter (and became pregnant).  I prefer the New Chapter, but the Rainbow Lights were half the price (I got a buy two get one free deal).

My doctor gave me Similac Prenatal vitamins that come with a separate DHA pill.  THESE PILLS MAKE ME SICK!  I have no morning sickness, but I will immediately purge after I have these pills with my breakfast.  

My advice is to try one, and if they make you feel sick, then go for the New Chapter or Rainbow Light.

Baby boy due January 10

• Options
    I also want to note that I think it's extremely to take ANY prenatal vitamin.  I had a friend who refused to take any vitamins while she was pregnant.  As long as you take one, I think you are doing great  :D

Baby boy due January 10

• Options
    I like the gummies. I added calcium and occasional iron (when I remember) as they dont have, also folic acid, CoQ10, royal jelly, if you can stomach it and it has all the recommended amounts and such, go for it :-)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    KatieCutie05KatieCutie05 member
    edited June 2014
    i take the target brand that has the separate DHA in it. DHA is really important during pregnancy since it helps with babies brain development. I also take it at night with dinner. In the morning it would probably make me throw up. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"