July 2015 Moms
Options

So this happened at my 38 week app today... FTM ... TMI sorry

I went for my 38 week app today and she said she was gonna check to see how my cervix was doing and help "stir the pot" so I didn't go over my due date (are less likely to anyway). She inserted two fingers and noticed I was dialated and felt baby's head too. Then holy hell she spread her fingers and like twisted to stretch it to speed things up. Well it felt like someone shoved a fist up my vag all of a sudden. Grabbed my poor Hubby's arm hard and fast.

My question is has this helped anyone else go into labor? I was having contractions last night and now more today cause she did that (not full on labor contractions, stronger than braxton Hicks though).

I'm 1 cm dialated and I'm not sure if that's why I was contracting last night and she wasn't expecting me to be dialated at all nor was she expecting me to be as thinned out and my tissue softened as much as it is.

Sorry for the TMI never heard of this before and FTM so a new experience lol.

Best Answer

Re: So this happened at my 38 week app today... FTM ... TMI sorry

• Options

@-)
    Ummm OUCH! I have no advice other than to say that!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    nemRNnemRN member
    Sounds like she stripped your membranes and I can't believe she did that without asking you if that's what you wanted first ! Stripping membranes is suppose to release prostaglandins to start contractions , sort of a form of induction, a lot of people start having contractions shortly after that lead to labor. Sorry you had to go through that without your doctor telling you what she was going to do and what it was going to feel like
  • Options
    She asked if I wanted to speed things along to ensure I didn't go over my due date and said what she'd do just caught me off guard cause I haven't had that happen before. She did mention it would release prostaglandins, and didn't think I'd go into labour right away. I'm not mad with her just sore now and was shocked at how that works. I'm 38 weeks so I don't have too long left either.

I'm not worried (sorry if it sounded that way I'm just drained from the day) I just don't know if this is what most drs do or if it's been known to work.
  • Options
    Yep she just stripped your membranes, she probably could have explained it better beforehand though. I had my first 12 hours after being stripped, with my second I was stripped 3 times and ended up being induced.
  • Options
    e1223e1223 member
    Yeah it only works if you're already going to be in labor anyway (aka, it doesn't actually work, much like many of the methods to induce labor). My midwife stripped my membranes at 40 weeks with my 2nd, I went into labor 6 days later but I'm pretty sure it was unrelated :)
  • Options
    Sounds like something my midwife did when I was in labor with my son (my water had broken but I wasn't dilating) and I'm pretty sure she kind of forced a little dilation- it was super painful! It also didn't really do much, the pitocin was what really moved things along.
    I hope it helps you get things started!
  • Options
    mnj05mnj05 member
    I had it done twice with DS but still needed to be induced.

imagePhotobucket

TTC #1 since 3/2011
    DX: anovulatory and severe MFI
    DH is a testicular cancer survivor
    IVF#1 w/ICSI lupron, gonal f, ovidrel
    ER 6/15/12 6R 6M 6F! ET 6/20/12
    Beta #1: 154 Beta #2: 509 Beta #3: 7326
    Baby Boy born 3/1/2013
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC#2: 6/2014 all testing came back normal

IVF#2 (#1 for LO#2) 9/2014 - 17R 10M 10F 4 blasts frozen on day 6.

FET #1 10/15/14 - Beta #1: 216  Beta #2: 823

Baby Boy born 7/10/2015

• Options
    Omg! That sounds painful!
  • Options
    What were you dilated at before she did this?
  • Options
    I was dialated at 1cm. She could have better explained it I agree, she's a great mid wife I like her I think she thought I knew more than I did with me asking if I was gonna get checked to see if I was dialated.

It was very painful for me, I swore cause I wasn't expecting it to be like that I was thinking it would be more like a discomfort like pap tests.

She said FTM aren't usually dialated or thinned out much and I was doing pretty good on both and my cervix shortening. I've still been having contractions too, was able to take a little nap though. My mom had very quick easy births mostly so I'm trying to pay attention for water breaking or contractions to be close together. Hard when you're a first timer and not fully sure what to expect.
  • Options
    Hm.. I'm sure it's worked for some people, but it didn't work for me personally. Maybe it's good for long term, may be why she did it at 38 weeks??
    Anyways.. Good god it hurts!!! And with me it caused a lot of contractions and spotting. Good luck tho!
  • Options
    I was asking about the dilation because that is a form of inducing and my doctor mentioned to me that she doesn't induce unless the cervix is dilated. Looks like you may have your little one soon then!! ;)
  • Options
    I had my membranes stripped in the morning and my water broke that afternoon!! I'm having a csection this time and it's scheduled so I won't be doing that for this pregnancy. I don't think there is anything unprofessional or worrisome about this practice as some others have mentioned in their posts. Stripping membranes is common and works a lot of the time! Good luck!
  • Options
    Thanks ladies :) I was just curious as I've heard of the term before but never knew exactly what it was. Ice had contractions all day now and unsure of if its labor labor so gonna call my midwife once I figure out how far apart they are. It's hard to tell as it goes from back to lower abdominal ones position doesn't seem to change them bit they're not on an exact schedule from what I can tell.

Wish I knew more of what is going to happen and when lol. I don't want to go in and it be nothing just me being a suck.
  • Options
    Very painful but it helped me go from 3cm to 7cm after being stuck at 3 for a long time. Not sure she should have done that so early on though and without a full explanation as its really not nice.
    My midwives offer it at 40 weeks to try and start you off but only if you want them to.
    Most internal examinations during labour will be very uncomfortable as well so be prepared.
  • Options
    Yep. My midwife did this as I was almost 40w with my son. I was also only 1cm dilated. Had my Stink Butt the next day.