Special Needs
Options

How do you handle the meltdowns?

So... took Kai into school today for his kindergarten assessment... and while I am trying to fill out the questionnaire, Ezra is having a full on meltdown... Just bad.  Even my phone didn't calm him down.   And, of course, I am getting looks and whispers from the other parents in the room.

Its so damn frustrating... I KNOW its not Ezra's fault... I know this...

I wanted to shout "HE'S AUTISTIC!" But I just sucked it up and walked the hallways...

Ugh... just sucks.
Rylee - 3.28.08
Malakai - 8.3.09
Ezra - 12.1.11 ASD

Re: How do you handle the meltdowns?

• Options
    It's only happened to me a few times but when he's in full meltdown, I think it's fairly obvious to anyone watching that this isn't your ordinary 'bratty kid' meltdown so I don't get looks so much.  Most times if I see one coming on, I just leave whatever I'm doing.  I know - not the best course of action but sometimes I'd much prefer to deal with a meltdown in the car. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

• Options
    DC2London said:

Sometimes I want to put him in a shirt that says, "I'm not a brat, I'm autistic" :-/

This is me too. I try to avoid situations that don't have an exit strategy. We almost never eat out any more.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Princess_LilyPrincess_Lily member
    edited May 2014
    First, try to have blinders on to others. I've had cops called on me because DS was in such distress during one once. This was during his "tough months",(18mo-3yo). This was the time where he lacked the maturity & understanding that he does now. At this age, I can usually anticipate one coming on, for us it seemed to be a build up of smaller issues he had within the 30min before the meltdown. After a while of using it, 1-2-3 magic seems to work excellent for DS. Now I seem to have a harder time when its a change to something he enjoys - and he doesn't get a transitional warning. That being said, if I keep consistency and give him adequate warnings ... He seems to be okay with change and will be less likely to meltdown
    photo notebook.jpg 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    DS is 3 1/2 and has a crying fit daily and a few meltdowns a week.  Ignore others, I don't care what their opinions are.  If they approach and ask questions, I just tell them he is Autistic.  I had one parent actually tell me to go put him in the car (was at a birthday party at Pump It Up), I pretended not to hear her or else I would have lost it on her.  She isn't worth my time.

I try to redirect and offer something, it depends on why he is melting down.  Mostly I just need to wait it out and make sure he doesn't hurt himself in the process.

I agree with the exit strategy, I always have one.  We push him to try new things and go new places, if it doesn't work one day, oh well we will try again another time.  I also have my backpack of supplies (drinks, snacks, toys, ipad) with me any time we are going somewhere.  My Dad is always available to watch him if I need to get something done and know he can't handle it.  I also shop on Amazon so much I rarely need to go to a store.

It sucks, but I just focus on him, I really don't care what others have to say.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    DS is 3 1/2 and has a crying fit daily and a few meltdowns a week.  Ignore others, I don't care what their opinions are.  If they approach and ask questions, I just tell them he is Autistic.  I had one parent actually tell me to go put him in the car (was at a birthday party at Pump It Up), I pretended not to hear her or else I would have lost it on her.  She isn't worth my time.

I try to redirect and offer something, it depends on why he is melting down.  Mostly I just need to wait it out and make sure he doesn't hurt himself in the process.

I agree with the exit strategy, I always have one.  We push him to try new things and go new places, if it doesn't work one day, oh well we will try again another time.  I also have my backpack of supplies (drinks, snacks, toys, ipad) with me any time we are going somewhere.  My Dad is always available to watch him if I need to get something done and know he can't handle it.  I also shop on Amazon so much I rarely need to go to a store.

It sucks, but I just focus on him, I really don't care what others have to say.
    I do the backpack, too! It is always with us on shopping trips and therapy sessions.

We do most of our shopping and errands while DS is at daycare. But if we don't have time, we take him shopping on the weekends.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"