January 2015 Moms
Options

No deli meat?? Seriously?!?

In doing some research about foods that are unsafe in pregnancy I came across a website that said pregnant women shouldn't eat deli meat because of the bacteria that could be on it. I've never heard this before and am wondering if that's the truth?!? My doctor gave me info about food and pregnancy last year when I told her we may start TTC and it doesn't list deli meat as a no no. I'm already having a hard time not eating medium rare steaks and hamburgers and now I may have cut out deli meat too!!! I'll do anything for a healthy baby, but I don't want to have to be constantly paranoid about what I'm eating. Any thoughts/advice is much appreciated!
BabyFetus Ticker

Re: No deli meat?? Seriously?!?

• Options
    The chances of getting listeriosis from lunch meat are pretty slim if you don't use an out of date package of lunch meat. I have made no effort to cut out lunch meat because I deemed it to not be a big risk for me. It's whatever your comfortable with. you can also heat it if it bothers you. 

TTC since August 2011 Me: 31 DH: 33
    May-September 2012: Monitored cycles with Letrozole
    October 2012: Cancelled IUI
    April 2014: IVF #1 w/ ICSI
    ER: 4/15 ET: 4/20 Beta #1 4/29: 54 Beta#2 5/1: 90 
    1st ultrasound: 5/13 (6w1d): HB 103 2nd Ultrasound: 5/22 (7w3d) HB 151

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yeah - Deli Meat is on the avoid list. However, I figure if I get my meat from reputable places and get the stuff that moves quickly from the shelves I'll be fine. I ate deli meat after first tri with DD (When I realized how small the chances are), and plan to eat deli meat this time. If you are worried you can always heat it up, which will kill the bacteria.
  • Options
    Yea, this is super popular on the internet but my Dr never mentioned it when I was pregnant with my first either. I guess I'll see if it comes up at my 1st appt with this one, but fwiw I ate deli meat several times a week with my first and she is totally fine- I plan to eat it when I feel like it during this pregnancy as well. 

Some people heat it up, but if I wanted a hot sandwich I'd have a cheeseburger. My advice is do what you feel comfortable doing during YOUR pregnancy. If deli meat will make you nervous for your baby then just don't eat it. 

Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

Trying for #2 since Oct 11
    732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 
    3 Fresh IVFs= 1 Ectopic treated with MTX
    Spontaneous pregnancy #2= Ectopic #2= lost left tube
    Spontaneous pregnancy #3= DD2 January 29, 2016
    Spontaneous pregnancy #4= Ectopic #3
    Spontaneous pregnancy #5= Baby #3 is a BOY!!! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    cls2015cls2015 member
    I'd be careful with deli meat.  It is close to the top of every list of foods pregnant women should avoid.

One way around it...You can eat deli meat if you cook it before eating it.  Just pop any deli meat into a frying pan until it is steaming hot.  This also makes a sandwich taste great!!!
  • Options
    UberBizUberBiz member
    FWIW, I'm not cutting out deli meat, hot dogs, ham
    The chances of getting listeriosis from lunch meat are pretty slim if you don't use an out of date package of lunch meat. I have made no effort to cut out lunch meat because I deemed it to not be a big risk for me. It's whatever your comfortable with. you can also heat it if it bothers you. 
    This exactly.
    OMG too many tickers...
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    LovelyLipsLovelyLips member
    edited May 2014
    I ate lunch meat in my last preg and I am in this one.
    If you buy it from where you always buy it like a respectable retailer the chances are pretty slim. It's always chilled and is a source of protein. Cooked meat right now for me is gross and if I can have a sandwich then I'm happy. It's up to you what you eat and listen too.
    Trust your judgement and if in doubt don't eat it. Stick to eat by dates like all things and enjoy. Too many things to worry about in pregnancy and my sandwich is not going to be one if them!

Just to add. I thought it was meat like salami and Italian pork products that haven't been cooked and are cured with salt. Like Parma ham etc.
    BabyFetus Ticker

#1 Son born: 18 June 2008 :) 
     #2 M/C: 23 January 2014 at 5w,2d :( 
     #3 BFP: 28 April 2014. Yay! EDD: 6th January 2015
  • Options
    I didn't cut it out with DS1 and I am sitting here eating a Boar'sHead chicken sandwich right now. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I hope polish kielbasa isn't on that list. Oooh I have to go check this list!!

Rainbow Baby! BFP 02/20/2018 EDD 11/01/2018
    BFP 10/31/2017 EDD 07/09/2018 Miscarriage 11/28/2017
    DD # 1: BFP 5/22/2014  EDD 1/30/2015 Born 02/06/2015
    DS # 1: BFP 7/18/2000 EDD 3/27/2001 Born 4/1/01
  • Options
    LanatirLanatir member
    Other than alcohol and drugs deemed unsafe for pregnancy, I tend to live by the rule "If I didn't get sick before pregnancy, it's probably ok to eat while pregnant."

I do watch food recalls a little closer, though, and throw food sooner if it's been left out while I'm pregnant.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    jconno said:
    Just heat it up and you'll be fine. I just ate a ham and turkey sandwich for lunch.
    I have a dumb question regarding this. Do you have to heat it immediately before eating? Or can you heat it and eat it later?
    I always heat and then eat right away. It doesn't really make sense to me to heat up a food that you aren't going to eat right away. 
    Stephanie Ella ~ 6/15/2012
  • Options
    Sandwiches are what I'm craving right now.  Everything else seems yuck!
    4years TTC. Lap and HSG: 2/14. 1st EVER BFP: 4/7/14, CP 4/9/14. 2nd BFP: 5/5/14. 1st beta: 125 @ 12dpo
    2nd beta: 300!  Grow baby grow!!!! 

It's a BOY!!!!!!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers photo ryanutfan_zpsb610a7ac.jpg
  • Options
    I usually heat mine until it steams, which is pretty much what I do when I'm not pregnant because I like my sandwiches toasted and the cheese melted.
  • Options
    lana22lana22 member
    interesting the spectrum of what people hear from drs. mine told me last pregnancy it was one of the most important foods to avoid!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    jnedenjneden member
    I know it sucks but if the meat does have listeria the consequences are severe so I avoid it during pregnancy. I switched to PBJ sandwiches or chicken salad. 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    My OB didn't ask a lot - he did ask that I don't eat deli meat because he once saw the results of listeria and he never wanted to see it again.  Until he said that, I had zero intentions of avoiding it.  Now, I'm going to severely limit it but I don't know that I will totally avoid.
    BFP #1 09/26/2013 EDD 06/04/2013 MMC 11/01/2013
    BFP #2 05/15/2014 EDD 01/24/2015

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    kibyloukibylou member
    edited May 2014
    My dr acted like I was crazy when I brought this up... So I just ate it once in a while with DD. I heated it sometimes, but other times not. I heard there are more cases of listeria in fruit actually, so I just try not to be overly paranoid and eat healthy.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I do avoid deli meat while pregnant, gave it up when pregnant with ds and stopped eating deli meat cold turkey (ha) this time around too. I know the chances of listeria are very rare, but my cousin lost her baby when she was 7 months along due to listeria- so because I personally know someone it's affected , I'm very careful with what I eat
    (Fwiw- her doctors thought it was some bad veggies she got it from, not deli meat)
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I skipped it last time and will again. Listeria scares me. Most people say heat it to steaming and yer fine.
    15-weeks-pregnant-baby-sizePregnancy Week 15: 
    You obviously made it to
    home, congrats! Your baby
    is the size of a baseball. 

DS1 July 2012
    MC February 2014
  • Options
    I don't risk it at all.
    Me: 33 DH: 31
    DD: 10 (born August 2004)
    Married 03/01/14
    TTC#2
    BFP: 05/17/2014 EDD: 1/25/15 MMC: 06/30/2014
    BFP: 01/31/15 MMC: 02/25/15 

• Options
    My doctor says if you heat it for 5 mins its fine
    talk about well-done meat. Yuck.

I guess I'm a rebel.. maybe that's a FFFC. I'm eating cold deli meat.
    talk about well-done meat. Yuck.

I guess I'm a rebel.. maybe that's a FFFC. I'm eating cold deli meat.
    in the oven -its not too well done just hot. i don't put the oven on too high
    I would just buy real meat then..
    (Zoe Claire- born at 33.6 weeks- November 19, '14 - 5lbs 15oz)
  • Options
    And listeria can be found in fruits and veg.. and wasn't there just a recall on hummus with listeria? I don't see a point in sitting and wondering about everything I put in my mouth, KWIM?
  • Options
    And listeria can be found in fruits and veg.. and wasn't there just a recall on hummus with listeria? I don't see a point in sitting and wondering about everything I put in my mouth, KWIM?
    Yes, I just got an email this morning about that. 
  • Options
    @GrahamSchneider - will you be my friend? ;)
    I was feeling very alone!
  • Options
    @GrahamSchneider - will you be my friend? ;)
    I was feeling very alone!
    Absolutely!!
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! I want to find a good balance between being too paranoid and making the best decision for baby, but I'll admit that the food thing is going to be hard. I'm a steak and potatoes kind of girl, so all this vegetables and grilled chicken is already driving me nuts!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I've heard soft serve ice cream carries a risk of listeria or whatever too.

BabyFruit Ticker

<p align="center"
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! I want to find a good balance between being too paranoid and making the best decision for baby, but I'll admit that the food thing is going to be hard. I'm a steak and potatoes kind of girl, so all this vegetables and grilled chicken is already driving me nuts!
    I'll eat your steak and potatoes then!
  • Options
    I'll eat your steak and potatoes then!
    Haha yea me too!
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    motherboy said:
    Whoops... had that last night too lol. DD deserved Rita's for a job well done at swim class.

You're right - it does carry a risk. I think it has to do with how the shop cleans the machines. 

I think everything has risks.

ETA: Your and You're are hard.
  • Options
    YaMrWhite said:
    motherboy said:
    Whoops... had that last night too lol. DD deserved Rita's for a job well done at swim class.

Your right - it does carry a risk. I think it has to do with how the shop cleans the machines. 

Pretty much. Driving? Risk! Walking outdoors? Risk! Eating food? Risk! You can't hide!
    We pregnant people just really need bubbles. 

BTW did you have to quote me before I fixed your and you're HAHA 8-}
  • Options
    YaMrWhite said:
    motherboy said:

Your right - it does carry a risk. I think it has to do with how the shop cleans the machines. 

Pretty much. Driving? Risk! Walking outdoors? Risk! Eating food? Risk! You can't hide!
    We pregnant people just really need bubbles. 

BTW did you have to quote me before I fixed your and you're HAHA 8-}
    Muahahaha  >:)
  • Options
    I don't really eat it much anyway. I'll maybe have a cold cut sandwich once every few months or so. I give it up, but just because it is easy to do so.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    I think you can find evidence on the Internet to justify avoiding just about everything. I remember last time I was pregnant I went to work and forgot my lunch at home, so I ate two Fiber one bars I had in my desk. I felt sick later and looked up fiber one and pregnancy. Some forum discussion came up about chicory root causing fetal death. I was horrified. I had a doctor appointment later that day and I asked her about it on the verge of tears and she looked at me like I was nuts. I felt sick because all the fiber was cleaning everything out of me.

Make sure your food is fresh and from a reputable place. We can't avoid everything.

BabyFruit Ticker

<p align="center"
  • Options
    motherboy said:
    I think you can find evidence on the Internet to justify avoiding just about everything. I remember last time I was pregnant I went to work and forgot my lunch at home, so I ate two Fiber one bars I had in my desk. I felt sick later and looked up fiber one and pregnancy. Some forum discussion came up about chicory root causing fetal death. I was horrified. I had a doctor appointment later that day and I asked her about it on the verge of tears and she looked at me like I was nuts. I felt sick because all the fiber was cleaning everything out of me. Make sure your food is fresh and from a reputable place. We can't avoid everything.
    Fiber One Bars are the Devil! Dear Lord the cramps!
  • Options

My doctor specifically brought up deli meat in the "foods to avoid" discussion.  She said that we'll probably hear alot of people say avoid but our office has no issues with deli meat.  The only restriction was that I buy good quality fresh meat and don't keep it for more than a week or when it starts to smell funny.  Other than that keep on eating the deli meat.

I was scared because deli meat is a lunch staple for me and I wasn't sure I could do the remaining 7 months without sandwhiches.  I'm just alittle bit more picky now and if the turkey smells the least bit off I toss it or let FI eat it.  (His choice not mine, I asked him to toss it.  But he's not dead yet :) )

• Options
    rainbowsrainbows member
    edited May 2014
    Glad to hear others are not avoiding deli meat.  I know when im feeling upset in the tummy, the only thing I can eat is a nice cold slice of turkey rolled up (with cheese sometimes!).  I will be throwing it out when it gets slimy now instead of doing the "sniff" and decide if its worth the badness if its bad!
    Me: 34    DH: 28.  Married Jan 2012.  Started TTC Jan 2014.  Got our first BFP April 28th. Baby Boy Born: December 24 2014

Grow! photo leela_grow.gif
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"