January 2015 Moms
Options

No deli meat?? Seriously?!?

2»

Re: No deli meat?? Seriously?!?

• Options
    Lanatir said:

Other than alcohol and drugs deemed unsafe for pregnancy, I tend to live by the rule "If I didn't get sick before pregnancy, it's probably ok to eat while pregnant."

I do watch food recalls a little closer, though, and throw food sooner if it's been left out while I'm pregnant.
    This is exactly what I do.

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    I don't eat lunch meat anyway (don't like it). But I am mourning the loss of Brie, medium rare steak, and sushi.
    I can understand why they tell you to avoid sushi, but Brie? Why!?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @12chachacha You can have Brie as long as it's made with pasteurized milk - which most are from grocery stores in the US.  Just check the label.
    Thanks!

• Options
    GromMomGromMom member
    I gave up deli meat with lo but I don't really care about it, like I can take it or leave it. I think the hardest thing for me was that raw fruit and veggies made me sick for my entire pregnancy, try eating lunch when you've given up deli meat and raw veggies. At my surprise shower at work I believe I ate a bread roll and cake, lol.

I just got off a cruise and was saying to dh it's lucky I got my fill of Cokes, smoked salmon and rare meats. Hopefully I will not have the same issues with fruits and veggies this time!
  • Options
    Now I want a sandwich. With extra mayo. And a hotdog on the side.
    BFP 01/17/2014, Due 10/05/2014, MMC, we said goodbye 03/07/2014

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    ZoebotZoebot member
    YaMrWhite said:
    Just heat it up and you'll be fine. I just ate a ham and turkey sandwich for lunch.
    This - there is a very slight albeit very real risk that your deli meat (even from reputable deli counters and prior to the expiration date) are carrying listeria.  However, heating it to steaming (whether in a frying pan or the microwave) will kill any possible bacteria trying to hitch a ride down your gullet.  This even works for heating it up in advance.

Some women decide to forgo it all together, some eat hot dogs straight form the packaging - so there ya go.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Mdm159Mdm159 member
    My Dr told me she ate Italian subs throughout her entire pregnancy so I'm not sweating it. Which is good because I've been craving bologna like it's going out of style ;)
  • Options
    I had jimmy johns for lunch today.  it was delish.   And I didn't heat it up!

A kiss he will never forget- Disney World 2014

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    My dr said to heat it up. I love deli meat too so if heating it up is what I have to do then so be it.
  • Options

My doc told me to try to avoid it in places like Subway, but it is okay if I get it from the grocery store meat counter (where it is fresher). I have NEVER stopped eating cold meat during pregnancy, but I do pay attention if it has been sitting out or how long it has been in my fridge.

• Options
    cls2015cls2015 member
    I hear what everyone's saying and I'm kind of on the fence, so I'm going to play devil's advocate here...

Lysteria is different than other bacteria.  Our body's are strong enough to fight this off - this is why we never get sick from it before we are pregnant.  

But, this is one bacteria that is able to pass through the placenta.  This is why it can cause birth defects or MC more than other bacteria.  That scares me.  

Note: I'm not a medical professional, so I may not have this exactly right.  This is just from my obsessive reading about all things baby.
  • Options
    GromMomGromMom member

GromMom said:

I gave up deli meat with lo but I don't really care about it, like I can take it or leave it. I think the hardest thing for me was that raw fruit and veggies made me sick for my entire pregnancy, try eating lunch when you've given up deli meat and raw veggies. At my surprise shower at work I believe I ate a bread roll and cake, lol.

I just got off a cruise and was saying to dh it's lucky I got my fill of Cokes, smoked salmon and rare meats. Hopefully I will not have the same issues with fruits and veggies this time!

This is exactly why gestational diabetes sucked for me! I was like... for real?? NOW what do I eat?!

That must have been awful! For the last month I was put on a low sodium and gd diet, but thankfully lo was 11 days early! I wad miserable but it was only for 2 weeks. It did work though, I had gained enough weight that I had sciatic pain but that made it go away.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"