December 2014 Moms
Options

Measurements at 6 weeks, 5 days

klbyrnesklbyrnes member
edited April 2014 in December 2014 Moms
had an ultrasound last Thursday when I was 6w5d and the crown to rump measurement was 3.5 mm.  From things I have read elsewhere, this is a bit too small.  I just got off the phone with the midwife because the size has been bothering me since we found it out, and she assures me that I am measuring exactly at 6 weeks and everything is fine.  Any thoughts??   I know I should probably trust what she says, but I haven't had the best experience with this practice so far and have already made the decision to switch but I don't see my new doctor til next week.  
Pregnancy Ticker

It's a Boy!  Can't wait to meet the newest man in my life!  

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Measurements at 6 weeks, 5 days

• Options
    Everyone is different. I would trust what they were saying, even though it's easier said than done. Step away from Google, it'll only make you more anxious.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP #1 5/17/12 EDD 1/26/13 no hb @ 8w6d natural mc 11w6d 7/13/12 
             BFP #2 1/1/13 EDD 9/11/13 Isabelle Diane born on 9/17/13 7lbs 1oz 20in.
    BFP #3 4/3/2014 EDD 12/10/14 William David born on 12/8/14 7 lbs 10 oz 20in.
  • Options
    My ultrasound measured CRL at 0.8cm equating to 6w5d

You can find more info here:
    https://americanpregnancy.org/pregnancycomplications/earlyfetaldevelopment.htm
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I wouldn't worry just yet. Did you see a HB? And, do you temp? You really can't be positive of dates without that? Dates can also be off by a week with everything OK. And, then there is the fact that someone's got to be small. Bigger doesn't always mean healthier.
  • Options
    @caden1206 - We did see a heartbeat so that was a great sign, but I did temp so I know exactly when I ovulated and by that date I should be 6w5d, not just 6 weeks exactly.  I'm trying not to worry but my experience with this office has been so bad thus far it is just making it worse.  I feel like I can't trust the people there to be accurate. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    HB is great news. Just remember someone has to be small:).
  • Options
    The HB is a great sign... I read somewhere that you typically don't see it until the baby is measuring close to 5mm.  (I'm going in for a 6w4d ultrasound on Monday, so I was trying to prepare myself with "averages" so I can interpret what I'm seeing.)  It's very possible that they were off just a bit- the baby is so small at that point, it's easy to miscalculate. 
  • Options
    With my first pregnancy (9 months ago) i measured small at every visit.  When my daughter was born at 43 week, she was 5lbs and 14ozs (3rd percentile for weight).  She turned 9 months old last week and is now 20.6lbs and in the 75th percentile. I was thankful that she stayed small on the inside and is thriving on the outside.  Made for a very easy delivery and it's been amazing to watch her grow so fast! 
    Good luck with your new doctor's office.  I hope you like them better.  That's a big deal.  You're putting your health and your baby's health in their hands.  Trust is a big deal.  I would agree with a previous post to stay away from google.  There is information overload and it can make you more anxious about things you didn't even know existed.  Stay strong! Emily
    You can find out more about me and my crazy life at: http://iamemilyanne.com

• Options
    RayRay007RayRay007 member
    edited April 2014
    This says "For the crown rump length (CRL) of 3.5 mm the predicted gestational age is 5 weeks 7 days". If you know you should have been 6w5d that is a bit disconcerting, but I think that early it is easy to be off a bit (especially if it was abdominal), and there are many variables (like how late you implanted) that could affect the size of the embryo at that early stage. I hope everything turns out great, and if you aren't comfortable with that office you should switch. 
    ETA: also, the fact that there was a heartbeat is a great sign. 

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    So, I don't really know anything about this.. BUT!  I am an RN and I know with radiology (ultrasound included) imaging, there is always a 1-2mm margin of error when measuring anything. I'm talking about tumors, cysts, fracture lines, nodules.. sooo I would imagine that would apply to US baby measuring too.  Just focus on keeping healthy and as long as things are moving along at the right pace, I wouldn't get too stuck on the numbers.

• Options
    With early ultrasound, their dates can be off anywhere from 5-7 days.
    Implantation usually occurs on 9DPO but can be as late as 12. The EDD calculators assume a 9DPO implantation. If you implanted late, it would very well throw it off.

• Options
    Thank you everyone.  They did more blood work last night, and the results this morning said it went up, but not up as much as they wanted to see.  They scheduled me for another ultrasound tomorrow morning at a different place, and it will be a transvaginal one - so we will know more by tomorrow and I see my new doctor on Monday.  Keeping my fingers crossed for a good outcome, but preparing myself just in case.  I keep saying to myself - "no bleeding, no spotting, no cramping, and we saw a heartbeat - the odds are in our favor!"
    Pregnancy Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    Thinking of you! Please let us know how it goes. And just remember what all the other ladies said--u/s measurements can be off, especially when it's not transvaginal this early in the game.
    Jimmie, mama to Zoey (March 2011)
    Losses 5/13, 8/13, and 3/14. 
    Expecting another GIRL! Carter Grace due on 12/25.

• Options
    Thanks @jayellekay - I appreciate your kind words.  I'm keeping my chin up as they say!  
    Pregnancy Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    I'm sorry you're so worried. Did your doctors seem okay with your numbers? I would trust your MW regarding the measurement and bask in that glorious heartbeat. My thoughts are with you and I hope you get some answers that will help calm your nerves.
    May Siggy Challenge = Linda Belcher!! Hands down, my favorite TV mom!

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"