Trouble TTC
Options

Femara vs Clomid for IUI- Second Question Follow-up

LO95LO95 member
edited April 2014 in Trouble TTC
We had our first visit with the RE today.  If we can improve DH's morphology he'd like to try IUI this summer.  His first comment was Clomid, but I interjected and asked about Femara given that I have Endo and have heard Clomid can sometimes adversely affect the Endo.

He said he was leery to push it because it is a "Class X" but said he prefers it and went ahead wrote the script for Femara.  (My SIL is going to the same doctor and, after 6! rounds of Clomid with her OB, is going to do Femara and IUI next month with him.)

I'd love all the feedback I can get. :)

Edit: I have a second question.  Why do the REs prescribe the Femara/ Clomid protocol if there is MFI?  Is it just to get more eggs?  I guess I'm just curious because my doctors all seem to think there is no issue on my end.  Which I guess makes me just want to say, "So why am I putting this stuff in my body then?"

Me: 27 DH: 27

October 2013: Endo erosion/ Clear HSG

March 2014: SA #1/  2%morph, borderline sperm count, decent motility

June 2014: SA#2/  2% morph, low sperm count, worse motility

Plan: "Quick Start IVF"/antagonist protocol with Follistim, Ganirelix, Ovidrel and progesterone suppositories (yay)

High AMH (11) and Low BMI= low doses of everything to prevent OHSS

July 27, 2014: Started Follistim injections for ten days

July 31, 2014: U/S= 20 follicles, 8.5 lining, E2 is good, Ganirelix for 4 days starting 8/2

August 4, 2014: 14 follicles on-track, good lining, Trigger 8/6

August 9, 2014: 9 ICSIed/ 5 embryos; aiming for a 5dt on 8/13

August 13, 2014: 5DT of 1 4BA almost-hatching blastocyst (Please hang in, Little Bug!)

August 14, 2014: We have 3 frosties! Hope they're having fun hanging out together. :)

August 23, 2014: Beta #1: 144 8/23/14: Beta #2: 374 Beta 8/25/14  Beta #3: 6,600 9/3/14

September 9, 2014: Ultrasound #1 115 heartbeats per minute

September 23, 2014: Ultrasound #2 182 heartbeats per minute 

September 26, 2014: Love my OB's office

October 10, 2014: Our baby looks like a baby and is moving all over!  

December 8, 2014: Anatomy scan- It's a girl! 

"Hope strengthens.  Fear kills."- Karen Marie Moning

"Heaviness is only temporary; the daylight will soon break in."- needtobreathe

Re: Femara vs Clomid for IUI- Second Question Follow-up

• Options
    Clomid is the only one that is FDA approved for fertility, but with that said, I've tried both, I was resistant to clomid and it gave me craaaaazy side effects. I responded all 3 cycles with Femara and didn't experience really any side effects, so that would be my preference between the two. BFN on all cycles for me, I've moved forward with injects! Good luck!
    *** SIGGY WARNING ***

Happily Married Since 10.2006  •  TTC since 07.2012
    HSG Good & SA mostly Normal  •  DX lean PCOS
    MAR - NOV 2013  •  5 Cycles Clomid + TI = 2 Late O's/BFN & 3 Big Fat FAILS
    DEC 2013 - FEB 2014  •  IUI #1-3  •  Femara 5mg + Trigger = 3 BFNs
    MAR 2014  •  IUI #4  •  Follistim + Trigger + Crinone = BFN
    APR 2014  •  Benched  •  BCPs to clear up Cysts

MAY 2014  •  IUI #5  •  Follistim + Ganirelix + Trigger = BFP
    E.D.D. 2/18/2015
    6/11 +HPT • 6/13 BETA 447 • 6/16 BETA 1535
    6/23 U/S Adorable Little Bean • 6/30 U/S Beautiful Strong Heartbeat

• Options
    Both drugs have a catch. 

There is already a substantial research results out there linking Clomid with cancer (after multiple cycles use) and Letrozole (Femara) shows some association with birth defects. 

The judge is still out there for Injectibles use because they only did Ames tests ( mutagenesis test on bacteria strains) to show that its safe to use and they are expensive.

So, it's your choice what to take as endo loves hormones either way.

That said, small doses to get ovulation started will be probably fine. Do talk with your RE about your concerns as he probably has a lot of experience.

Good luck with your treatments!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    Hi @LO95 !
    Clomid did little for me but induce hot flashes, but it is FDA approved so it was the first try.  I responded well to Femara.  But like PP said, some women respond to one over the other.  

• Options
    I became Clomid resistant and had a lot of side effects - moodiness, night sweats, headaches. I didn't respond well to low doses of Femara, but responded well once I got to 10mg and had zero side effects. Femara is a little more expensive, but with a coupon from GoodRX, it's about the same. Good luck!
    **siggy warning**
    3/09 Clomid 50mg - no O
    5/09 Clomid 100 mg - no O
    7/09 HSG partial blockage, SA passed with flying colors
    7/09 Clomid 150 mg - O BFP! DD 4/24/10
    1/13 off BCP
    7/13 Clomid 50 mg - no O
    9/13 Clomid 100 mg - no O
    11/13 Clomid 150 mg - no O
    12/13 diagnosed PCOS
    1/14 IUI #1 Femara 5mg, Pregnyl, IUI BFN
    2/14 SHG, all clear!
    2/14 IUI #2 Femara 7.5mg, Pregnyl, IUI BFN
    3/14 IUI #3 Femara 10 mg, Pregnyl, B2B IUI BFFN (low sperm count)
    4/14 IUI #4 Femara 10 mg, Pregnyl IUI BFN (low sperm count)
    6/14 IUI #5 Femara 10mg, Pregnyl IUI (numbers back to normal!) BFP!!
    Beta #1: 474 Beta #2: 1346

• Options
    Lillovebug79Lillovebug79 member
    edited April 2014
    malerina said:
    There is already a substantial research results out there linking Clomid with cancer (after multiple cycles use)

This is absolutely false!!!! There is no actual medical research showing this. There is only research showing that women who suffer from infertility may be at a higher risk of ovarian cancer. There is no medical research linking clomid to cancer!!
    Furthermore, one could argue that Clomid has been studied way more extensively than Femara. Femara isn't even FDA approved for use in fertility. Not that I think it's bad, it's just not as well researched and hasn't been around as long as a Clomid. Who knows what people will say about it 20 years from now.
    You need to discuss what is best for you with your doctor. I did many, many cycles on clomid and while I hated some of the side effects, I had ideal results from it. I didn't get a BPF but in all fairness, that wasn't because of the drug. We are MFI so no matter how well I respond, it doesn't matter if we don't have good enough sperm! I will say that in time I built up a tolerance and had to increase my dose. And although it *can* have negative effects on lining and cervical mucous, that is not the case the majority of the time.
    Good luck with whatever you chose!

Edit for quote fail!

********Siggy/Ticker Warning***********

Me (35) no known issues DH (37) MFI. TTC 21 months (24 cycles)
    Dx MFI with low to normal count, low motility, morphology 3%
    HSG normal, ultrasound and labs on me all normal. 

1 cycle of Clomid 50mg and TI, unmonitored by OBGYN= BFN
    1 cycle of Clomid 50mg and IUI, unmonitored by OBGYN= BFN
    Started seeing an RE!!
    2 more cycles of clomid 50mg (great response), with IUI and Pregnyl trigger (4.8-8 mil good ones after wash) = all BFN
    1 cycle of clomid 50mg (3-7) followed by Follistim 75iu (7-11) + IUI = BFN
    December 2013 DH saw urologist and is taking Anastrozole, CoQ10, and L-Carnitine
    IUI #5 natural cycle (needed a med break) = BFN
    IUI #6 Follistim 75iu (CD3-10) + Pregnyl (CD11) + IUI (final count after wash 300K) = BFN
    IUI #7 Follistim 75iu (CD3-9) + Pregnyl (CD11) + IUI on 2/20 (post wash count 12.5 million)= BFN
    IUI cancelled (DH OOT) Clomid 50mg (CD3-7) 1 follicle +(not well timed) TI = BFN
    IUI #8 and last one!! Clomid 100mg (CD3-7) +OPK before US + IUI 4/17 (post wash 8.5 mil)= BFN

Pre-IVF testing complete! SHG great and measurements taken! Labs for infectious diseases completed, FSH (5.4), TSH (1.6), Prolactin (11), AMH (2.6), Estradiol (40).

Started BCP 5/29 and Lupron 6/11 prep for IVF #1! Started follistim 225u/day on 6/28. Monitoring on 7/2 >15 follicles measuring 11-14, E2 758. Monitoring on 7/5 all ready to go!! Great follicle sizes and lining is at 9. Tigger 7/5, ER 7/7 16R 9M 3F. Stimmed too fast in just 7 days. 7/10 3dt of 2 8-cell grade 2 & 4. 7/14 P4 >60.
    Holy crap BFP!!!
    Beta #1 (14dpo) 7/21 112 Beta #2 (16dpo) 7/23 286 a Beta #3 (18dpo) 7/25 761 Beta #4 (21dpo) 2631!!! Hold on tight little embies!!
      First Ultrasound 8/7- 1 perfect little bean with a beating heart 117bpm!! EDD 3/30.
    Second ultrasound 9/2 Little bean measuring a few days ahead with a heart rate of 161!

PAIF/SAIF/All Welcome!

Pregnancy Ticker

March 15 Siggy Challenge: You had one job

• Options
    malerina said:
    There is already a substantial research results out there linking Clomid with cancer (after multiple cycles use)

This is absolutely false!!!! There is no actual medical research showing this. There is only research showing that women who suffer from infertility may be at a higher risk of ovarian cancer. There is no medical research linking clomid to cancer!! 
    Lillovebug, I assume you mean this study:

To start off here are some links to the most recent studies:

Since clomid is taken to induce ovulation in subfertile and infertile patients, yes, it makes sense that the only results out there are from patients with infertility. I bet it would be very hard and unethical to find healthy females who are willing to take the drug for scientific research only. But here we have a study on rat ovaries that compares ovary tissue from letrozole, clomid and tamoxifene treated groups and all show ovarian dysplasia.

I am not trying to scare anybody, I am just giving information that yes there is a risk (well-documented), and yes its dose dependent. I confirmed this with my RE as well before I started the treatments. I wish my OBGYN told me about this when I started clomid.

• Options
    @malerina‌ Your example #1 has to do with infertility, not specifically Clomid, examples #2,3, and 4 also can not say that clomid is specifically linked with cancer. None of the research can point the finger at Clomid causing cancer. It leads more to the general underlying reason for infertility or to women who have never been pregnant.
    Your second paragraph speaks exactly to why you can't make that statement and what most research says, when you can't compare the results in infertile women vs those who are not, you can't say for sure that it was the fertility drugs that caused it. Nearly every research article states exactly that.
    It shouldn't scare anyone because it's simply not proven.

Started seeing an RE!!
    2 more cycles of clomid 50mg (great response), with IUI and Pregnyl trigger (4.8-8 mil good ones after wash) = all BFN
    December 2013 DH saw urologist and is taking Anastrozole, CoQ10, and L-Carnitine
    IUI #6 Follistim 75iu (CD3-10) + Pregnyl (CD11) + IUI (final count after wash 300K) = BFN
    IUI #7 Follistim 75iu (CD3-9) + Pregnyl (CD11) + IUI on 2/20 (post wash count 12.5 million)= BFN
    IUI cancelled (DH OOT) Clomid 50mg (CD3-7) 1 follicle +(not well timed) TI = BFN
    IUI #8 and last one!! Clomid 100mg (CD3-7) +OPK before US + IUI 4/17 (post wash 8.5 mil)= BFN

Pre-IVF testing complete! SHG great and measurements taken! Labs for infectious diseases completed, FSH (5.4), TSH (1.6), Prolactin (11), AMH (2.6), Estradiol (40).

Started BCP 5/29 and Lupron 6/11 prep for IVF #1! Started follistim 225u/day on 6/28. Monitoring on 7/2 >15 follicles measuring 11-14, E2 758. Monitoring on 7/5 all ready to go!! Great follicle sizes and lining is at 9. Tigger 7/5, ER 7/7 16R 9M 3F. Stimmed too fast in just 7 days. 7/10 3dt of 2 8-cell grade 2 & 4. 7/14 P4 >60.
    Holy crap BFP!!!
    Beta #1 (14dpo) 7/21 112 Beta #2 (16dpo) 7/23 286 a Beta #3 (18dpo) 7/25 761 Beta #4 (21dpo) 2631!!! Hold on tight little embies!!
      First Ultrasound 8/7- 1 perfect little bean with a beating heart 117bpm!! EDD 3/30.
    Second ultrasound 9/2 Little bean measuring a few days ahead with a heart rate of 161!

PAIF/SAIF/All Welcome!

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    edited April 2014
    And also @malerina‌, the last study you sited said absolutely nothing about all showing ovarian dysplasia, it said it was higher in treated groups, specifically tamoxifen a and letrozole! You didn't include any of that in your first comment linking clomid to cancer and not Femara. I wouldn't put a lot of faith into a rat study alone, especially when no research on humans can specifically link them. None of the research identified a clear increase in cancer with Clomid as you claimed in your first statement.

Started seeing an RE!!

Holy crap BFP!!!

PAIF/SAIF/All Welcome!

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @Lillovebug79, as you correctly pointed out no research on humans can prove there is direct link to cancer. I hope there never will be one. I wish you good luck in your treatments.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    @malerina‌ Good luck to you as well. Please avoid using misleading phrases like "substantial research linking to cancer" which will only frighten people and is not actually supported in the research. I know you didn't have the intention of worrying anyone but statements like that often do.
    edited to add quotes.

Started seeing an RE!!

Holy crap BFP!!!

PAIF/SAIF/All Welcome!

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Ok. It's getting late, and I suggest we all avoid strong statements :)

Cigarette smoking also doesn't "link to cancer". It increases the risk of getting it. Substantially. 
    We don't know yet how great is the risk with these drugs, but there is some evidence. 
    You are welcome to disregard it as non substantial. The question of association and causality is open here as in many other cases.

I posted links for people to read and learn about the drugs they get prescribed. I hope they will be helpful for somebody who needs to make a decision and can discuss the risks with their physician.

In the end of the day I will take the drugs all the same, and many other people will. 
    And let's hope they work :)
  • Options

I can't speak to the side effects of Endo, but I have been on both Clomid and Femara (Letrozole).

I had similar responses to both (2-3 eggs each cycle) and little physical/emotional side effects.  I do prefer the Letrozole over Clomid as it doesn't negatively affect my fertile CM in the same way Clomid did.  My O pains tend to me more acute on Letrozole as well (although that probably has nothing to do with anything).

Good luck.

imageimageimage

Trying to get knocked up since June 2012 ~ Dx: PCOS

BFP 7.24.13 ~ EDD 4.2.14 ~ m/c  9.16.13 @ 11w4d

BFP 5.4.14 ~ EDD 1.12.15 ~ stick little bean!

TTGP 2013 Best Blog ~ Fruit ~ My BFP Chart 

• Options
    DharmaChickDharmaChick member
    edited April 2014
    I also can't speak to the side effects of endo (sorry), but I have PCOS and went on several cycles of Clomid and I'm now on Femara.

As others have mentioned, I think that most REs start with Clomid, as it the most common med used.  Most doctors won't continue it more than three cycles if it hasn't worked out, and it is not recommended for using longer than six months.  It seems to be the most "productive" med, for those who respond to it (not everyone does).  Side effects vary a lot, as the women of this board can verify (some have had miserable reactions, others have had none).  For me, I definitely noticed some of the side effects, but they were tolerable.

After no BFP on Clomid, my RE recently moved me to Femara.  It was slightly more expensive, but with insurance it still wasn't bad.  I tend to have some dizzy spells whenever I start any new med.  Otherwise, the only side effect I've noticed on Femara is very low energy.  I feel like I could nap all day.  I can't speak to the results yet, but my fingers are crossed!

Good luck to you!!
    ________
    ME: 34, Atypical PCOS (lean, no O without meds) + unexplained; DH: 33, mildly low motility
    09/2012: Start TTC after stopping NuvaRing.  No cycles seemed to occur.
    01/2013 - 05/2013: Tried Provera to "jumpstart" cycles. No luck.
    12/2013-
    01/2014: Clomid 50mg - no big follies, stepped to 100mg; One mature follie, Ovidrel (HCG trigger), IUI #1 completed - BFN
    02/2014: Clomid 100mg;
    One mature follie, Ovidrel trigger, IUI #2 completed, Crinone - BFN
    03/2014: Clomid 100mg -
    no big follies on 1st round, 2nd round prescribed; One mature follie, Ovidrel, IUI #3 completed, Crinone - BFN
    04/2014-05/2014: Letrozole 5mg + Ovidrel HG to prep for IUI #4 switched to TI, Crinone - BFN
    05/2014-06/2014: Letrozole 5mg; one mature follie,
    Ovidrel, IUI #4.1 completed, Crinone - BFN
    07/2014-08/2014: Letrozole 5mg; one mature follie,
    Ovidrel, IUI #5 completed, Crinone - BFN
    09/2014-10/2014: IVF Prep - Insurance requires IUI #6;
    Letrozole 5mg - no big follies 1st round, 2nd round prescribed; IUI #6, Crinone - BFN
    11/2014: "Break" - Letrozole 5mg to cycle before prepping for IVF - successfully O'ed, but BFN
    12/2014: Extending 'break' one more Letrozole-only TI cycle for mental health break - BFN
    01/2015-
    02/2015: Prep for IVF - BCP then Gonal-F, Ganirelex, Novarel trigger;  ER scheduled 2/11!
    http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/4cf919
    PAIF/SAIF Welcome.
    December 3T Siggy Challenge: Favorite Holiday Movie
  • Options
    LO95LO95 member
    Thank you to all who replied!

I know that this can be a really big debate.  My RE hinted that there is a lot of controversy about these medications and that he wanted to build some trust up with me before he started prescribing drugs that weren't on approved lists.  I guess I wondered if maybe I jumped the gun by expressing concerns about Clomid with Endo, which then led him to say that he prefers Femara to Clomid in many cases.  But of course I second-guessed myself when I got home by thinking, "Well, crap.  Should I have just said 'Yes' to the Clomid?"

This fertility stuff is so scary.  We are dealing with MFI, as another poster mentioned, and so it has made me question the need for Femara/Clomid with IUI if things are "clear" on my end. Does anyone know why you have to do this protocol if it's MFI?

Thanks for your help!

Me: 27 DH: 27

October 2013: Endo erosion/ Clear HSG

March 2014: SA #1/  2%morph, borderline sperm count, decent motility

June 2014: SA#2/  2% morph, low sperm count, worse motility

Plan: "Quick Start IVF"/antagonist protocol with Follistim, Ganirelix, Ovidrel and progesterone suppositories (yay)

High AMH (11) and Low BMI= low doses of everything to prevent OHSS

July 27, 2014: Started Follistim injections for ten days

July 31, 2014: U/S= 20 follicles, 8.5 lining, E2 is good, Ganirelix for 4 days starting 8/2

August 4, 2014: 14 follicles on-track, good lining, Trigger 8/6

August 9, 2014: 9 ICSIed/ 5 embryos; aiming for a 5dt on 8/13

August 13, 2014: 5DT of 1 4BA almost-hatching blastocyst (Please hang in, Little Bug!)

August 14, 2014: We have 3 frosties! Hope they're having fun hanging out together. :)

August 23, 2014: Beta #1: 144 8/23/14: Beta #2: 374 Beta 8/25/14  Beta #3: 6,600 9/3/14

September 9, 2014: Ultrasound #1 115 heartbeats per minute

September 23, 2014: Ultrasound #2 182 heartbeats per minute 

September 26, 2014: Love my OB's office

October 10, 2014: Our baby looks like a baby and is moving all over!  

December 8, 2014: Anatomy scan- It's a girl! 

"Hope strengthens.  Fear kills."- Karen Marie Moning

"Heaviness is only temporary; the daylight will soon break in."- needtobreathe

• Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    Exactly what @GrailSeeker14‌ said. We are MFI and I've done many rounds of clomid and a few follistim rounds in the hopes of having more "targets" for sperm to hit. It hasn't helped us but it does sometimes help to have multiple eggs.

Started seeing an RE!!

Holy crap BFP!!!

PAIF/SAIF/All Welcome!

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @LO95‌ Hi- I am over on the Infertility board but I can try to answer your question from my experience. We are dealing with MFI, as well. It was my choice if we wanted to do the clomid/Femera with an IUI. I tried both.

For my first cycle I used clomid. I seemed to have more side effects- such as night sweats- and my lining wasn't great. I only had one follie. That IUI failed. Next cycle we tried Femera. All I had was minor spotting on it; however my lining was great and I had 3 follies. Again, it failed. (This cycle we are doing IVF).

I also questioned why I was on these drugs when we were dealing with MFI. I always ovulate on my own on almost the same day each cycle. My RE explained that the more eggs I produced the better chance one had to fertilize. That second time I had 2 on one side and one on the other- gave the sperm a chance to get into either tube to potentially fertilize.

Good luck and know that everyone is different!

Ella Rose

1/17/15 born via IVF w/ ICSI

Spontaneous Twins!

Due January 2016

Follow our Journey

• Options
    Hi there, we are dealing with mild mfi and egg quality issues. I believe what someone else said was right on, more targets. I initially did two rounds of clomid, but it thinned my lining, and I was switched to Femera. With both I was monitored with a day 10-12 ultrasound to make sure I responded well. I generally had 4-6 follies per cycle, which is what they wanted with my age and egg quality issues. If it was more they would have likely cancelled the iui. Do you know if they are planning to monitor you while on fertility drugs? I think most ladies on this board would agree that this is an important aspect of being on either clomid or femera. Luckily I did not have any side effects with either. As for cost, clomid was not covered for me, but femera was, either way both were affordable ($25 vs. $5). Good luck!
    Me: 40, Hypothyroidism, well managed, TSH 1.99
    DH: 44 Fine except for low morphology
    TTC since 02/2013  
    08/13: Day 3 tests (ESTRADIOL 20.8; AMH 1.1; FSH 6.2)
    12/13 HSG, all clear
    11/13-5/14 - IUIs #1-3, BFNs, 
    6/14 to present: Taking a break, getting healthier, researching IVF
    Planning for IVF in late summer 2015

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"