April 2014 Moms
Options

The Great Big Breastfeeding Thread

Re: The Great Big Breastfeeding Thread

• Options
    @aronie82 said:

I think we started cluster feeding today. How long does this last?

It comes and goes. A few days for most growth spurts.
    *Married 10.10.08*
    TTC #1 9.09 - BFP#1:2.18.10= missed m/c, D&C 4.16
    BFP#2:10.22.10=Avelin born 7.2.11
    TTC#2: 2.13 - BFP#3: 7.25.13=Kelsey born 3.31.14
  • Options
    I
    aronie82 said:

I'm trying to pump in between feeds. Too much?

How many times are you pumping?

I pump once after a feeding in the morning and sometimes after a feeding in the afternoon or evening but not always.

I think the general advice is not to pump in the first few weeks, but it's worked well for me so far, I like knowing that someone else can help with feeding a if necessary, it's a big stress reliever.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options

amhah09 said:

Carry on. Since you guys already know everything I'm sure no one will need the help of someone more experienced.

Serious with this shit?
    I don't normally involve myself in the drama. However I personally am a TTM planning to BF for the third time. We have moms on this board who are on baby 10 -- @mummyofsix‌. We're not the only experienced moms. Does @AmyG*‌ have some magical knowledge that the rest of us experienced moms have missed out on? That seems to be what @awright1983‌ is suggesting. If so please explain. Clearly we need to be schooled. Otherwise leave us alone. A14 is a close knit board that helps each other. We don't need or want others to come in and take over. We seem to be doing a pretty good job answering questions on our own. Besides everyone on the Bump knows @AmyG*‌ hangs out on the BFing Board. If someone needs her, surely they can find her there

QUOTE FAIL

If this is the case A14 then keep this in your social group. These boards are not closed. ANYBODY can post and WILL post. I also think you all are a little paranoid and think that other bumpies are going to come and give advice to do a hostile takeover and make "YOUR" board their board. WTAF.

Will you give it up already?!?!!!!
  • Options
    Back to the topic at hand- LO has nursed, and apparently over nursed, to the point of puking it back up- even coming through her nose. This is not something I ever saw with DD1. I assume it's fine because my mom says my sister did this constantly, but it's a tad unnerving. Normal?
    *Married 10.10.08*
  • Options

ksulli said:

Back to the topic at hand- LO has nursed, and apparently over nursed, to the point of puking it back up- even coming through her nose. This is not something I ever saw with DD1. I assume it's fine because my mom says my sister did this constantly, but it's a tad unnerving. Normal?

Kind of depends. Is she freaking out after she pukes? Is she struggling in any way when she eats?
    It might be that you have a fast flow, and a fast let down, and she takes in more than she realizes and then has to puke it back up.
    Not freaking out at all, doesn't seem to struggle while eating. I am just coming off three days of engorgement so too much too fast makes sense. I guess we'll see what tomorrow brings since the non-engorged flow should be easier. We got back to the pedi at the end of the week, and she's also a LC.
    thanks!
    *Married 10.10.08*
  • Options
    ksulli said:

^^^ditto potential fast flow or quick let down. Also: does she arch her back after feedings / cry / seem really fussy? Could be reflux.
    DD 2/21/2012 & DS 4/1/2014
  • Options

ksulli said:

^^^ditto potential fast flow or quick let down. Also: does she arch her back after feedings / cry / seem really fussy? Could be reflux.
    I was also going I say possible reflux. DD2 was an overeater to aid her reflux and it started at a really early age. She even ate solids to the point of throwing up.
    Ugh. I'm keeping things crossed it was fast flow. She isn't particularly fussy in general, and often goes right to sleep after eating, so I haven't suspected reflux.
    *Married 10.10.08*
  • Options
    My policy with stuff like that is not to worry about it unless it becomes a pattern.
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Agreed. If it starts happening every time, and other reflux symptoms develop, then worry. But it could be nothing.

All true. 3x in 2 days, so not constant, but enough to prompt the question. I'll be done worrying about it for now.
    *Married 10.10.08*
  • Options
    My lo has reflux and spit up goes through her nose. She does it about 4-5 times maybe one or two huge one. Even if yours doesn't have reflux, holding them up, like you sitting and them on your shoulder will help. That little flap isn't quite developed and holding them up helps
  • Options
  • Options
    I meant to say 20-30 mins after a feed. This mommy is tired lol
  • Options
    MamamonzoMamamonzo member
    edited April 2014
    So I used to feel this cold tingley sensation when I first started each feeding. I assume it was my let down? I don't feel it anymore. Concern???

I know he's gettin plenty since is usually ends up running out of his mouth and down my shirt.

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    I feel letdown for a while and then eventually I stop feeling it. Some women never feel letdown. Some women only ever feel the first letdown (there are multiple letdowns per feeding session). It's all normal :)

Married 3.14.09
    DS born 8.20.10
    MC 7.11.11
    DD born 5.24.12
    #3 EDD 4.02.14
  • Options
    I'm so sorry @eme520‌, that is so frustrating. It's easier for her to get the milk out of the bottle, so she may have started to prefer that. Are you able to hand express a little into your nipple? That could give LO the instant gratification of a bottle, plus then the let down should be just about ready to go, again making it 'easier' for her to eat at the breast. Hope the LC helps.
    *Married 10.10.08*
  • Options
    Excited my milk has came in.... I am pumping enough to breast milk feed during the day, but nights are still formula fed. I suck at pumping while half asleep!

CafeMom Tickers
  • Options
    I received my Hygeia pump today. What extra parts do I need to get? It came with the standard parts - 2 flanges, 2 valves, tubing, and 2 storage bottles. Should I just get another accessory kit so I have spare parts?
  • Options
    It wouldn't hurt, but I only ever bought more bottles. There was a time or two I forgot a part and had to run home and get it.
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    This pump only has an AC adapter, but I can purchase a battery pack. I do plan on purchasing a car adapter. Do you think the battery pack is necessary? 
  • Options
    @eme520‌ -

I had similar issues with my girl as well. She was mostly bottle fed the first 6 or 7 days. She would nurse occasionally, but was either sleepy and nod off after 30 seconds or would get frustrated trying to latch and have a freak out - the nipple shield would work sometimes in those circumstances. I was doing the same thing as you - pumping after each feed and doing bottles after nursing. It's exhausting.

Somehow right about at a week old she suddenly became a breastfeeding champ. I haven't pumped in a few days and haven't needed the nipple shield either.

Unfortunately I don't have any advice - it just kind of happened on it's own. But I understand your frustration and wanted to let you know there's hope! Good luck to you and your little lady.
  • Options
    I never had a battery pack and cant really think of a time I wish I did. I did have a transformer fort he car
  • Options
    If I pump and refrigerate a bottle, how long can I leave it out after it's been refrigerated before feeding her? If we have an outing of some sort, I'd like to be able to bring a bottle to be able to feed her with..
     BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    RrrrrachelRrrrrachel member
    edited April 2014
    christinanoelle said: If I pump and refrigerate a bottle, how long can I leave it out after it's been refrigerated before feeding her? If we have an outing of some sort, I'd like to be able to bring a bottle to be able to feed her with.. 

Kelly mom has good info on breast milk storage it depends on how war the room is, so true room temp vs outside in the summer or something. The best thing is to get a small cooler for on the go. These times are cumulative, so if or example you pumped and then it sat at room temp for two hours, then you put I t in the fridge, you could take it back out and have it at room temp for another 2-6 hours. Sniff before you serve is a good rule of thumb :)

• Options
    ImnAtari said:

what insight do we have on hiccups? my poor girl gets them sooo bad... i dont know whats the best thing for them.

I am curious about this too! Mine gets them at least twice a day
     BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Yeah I think they're unavoidable and harmless.
  • Options
    Hiccups are fine! We try to keep DH upright awhile after to help with them.
  • Options
    Unless you have to go back to work super early I wouldn't worry about it until you're 4 weeks along or so.  Also, I only started back to work with a minimal amount of milk in the freezer, but I did ok.  I pumped what I needed for each day, usually.  Pumping is so much easier when you're not also breastfeeding! :) 
  • Options
    The only reason I would say start then is because most women go back 6-8 weeks.  I just wouldn't stress about it until you're 2-4 weeks from going back.  and remember you'll pump MUCH more milk when you're actually missing feedings vs just trying to squeeze it in here and there.
  • Options
    eme520 said:

@AcaAwkward‌ thanks so much for your advice! Lots of helpful things I will try. Our biggest enemy right now is alternating fits of rage and sleepiness. It is so hard to catch her in the right state. Thanks for your encouragement.

Can you keep her skin to skin most of the time? Basically make it super easy for a bit if rooting to result in boob in mouth. With the shield express some milk into it first. Also use compressions to encourage that first let down. Hang in there! Sometime it gets worse right before it gets better. It's great that your supply is there- that's key!
    BFP#1 9/14/10 (EDD 5/21/11); no fetal pole 6w6d, 7w4d, d&c 10/8
    BFP#2 3/16/11, beta 138; 4/12 Baby/HB DS born 9/10/11 at 29w4d due to partial abruption and PTL
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    BFP#3 8/19/13 Another boy! 17P, modified bedrest and Nifedipine helped us have a termie! DS2 born 4/19/14 at 38w5d.
  • Options
    ImnAtari said:
    what insight do we have on hiccups? my poor girl gets them sooo bad... i dont know whats the best thing for them.

Gripe water.
    First we had you.

Then we had you.

Now we are complete.

• Options
    What's the deal with alcohol and bf? If I have a drink at dinner, is the next feed a pump and dump?
    First we had you.

Then we had you.

Now we are complete.

• Options
    No, it's fine. Unless you're drunk.
  • Options
    purespark said:
    ImnAtari said:

Gripe water.
    Is there a particular brand you recommend? Been wanting to try it for my son's occasional gas.

I'm in Canada, so we have different brands on some things, but we used the store brand with DS and just used it for the first time with dd last night.
    First we had you.

Then we had you.

Now we are complete.

• Options
    eme520 said:

@ksulli @AcaAwkward‌ @MissWhis‌ @haziedaze‌ The LC came tonight and it was amazing. She thinks the issue is the combination of my milk coming in, a good supply and "abundant" breast tissue that the boobs are so heavy and dense that it's hard for her to handle it all. LO also has a bit of an arched palate and a tongue tie. 

We did some positioning, pillows, a modified U hold requiring two hands and two people, but LO latched on amazingly and nursed effectively for 15 min! Good swallow and emptying. I cried. I can't believe how much relief I feel that this may not be a lost cause after all. Thanks for all your support today ladies!
    YAY!!!!! So happy to read this!!
    DD 2/21/2012 & DS 4/1/2014
  • Options
    Pulling the chin down is kind of controversial in how well it helps. I just had to be really persistent and relatch a lot until she did it right. Also pointing your nipple at their nose and being sure your supporting them behind the shoulders and neck but not by the back of their head, so they can tip their head back. And don't be afraid to shove em on there!
  • Options
    @eme520‌ how bad is her tongue tie? I'm so glad that things got better! I completely understand the frustration of baby not being able to latch due to tongue tie.
  • Options
    meg.eliz1 said:

DD is 6 days and after using a nipple shield up to this point I'm trying to wean. She does well on one side without but not the other and sometimes I have a hard time getting her to open her mouth enough for a proper latch. Any suggestions other than pulling down on her chin to help open her mouth wider?

PS...I hate that we started using a nipple shield and really regret it...but as a FTM I had no clue how hard weaning would be. Avoid them at all costs if you are able!

Try the football hold. You'll have more control over his positioning and yours. Also wake them up get them naked and maybe a little bit mad( not screaming or in a tizzy)
  • Options
    Quick question.

Is it safe to drink Claritin when breast feeding? If not, what antihistamines are safe?

I have major allergy problems, I'm itchy all over. I have a doctors appointment in a couple of days and need some relief till then.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"