July 2014 Moms

When I grow up….

I thought this would be a fun thread…

When you were really little and growing up, what did you want to be when you grew up? 
How many people actually became what they wanted when they grew up? 

What careers or jobs do you think our little ones will want to be when they grow up? 

image  BabyName Tickerimage

Re: When I grow up….

• ashcrossashcross member
    edited April 2014
    I wanted to be a doctor and was actually pre-med my freshman year in college but then changed my major to journalism/communications. 

I think our kids (their generation but not specifically my kids) will want to be software designers or app designers. Something computer related. 

• Loading the player...
  • I wanted to be a mom. I couldn't picture myself in any one career. I have a passion for many things, always have. But the one thing that has stayed consistent from about age 5 was "I want to be a mom." 
    That's so sweet! I was the opposite, when I was 10 or so I asked my mom for a tubal ligation. When she informed me that I didn't know what it was I explained it to her (not knowing that I had been reading through her medical books) claiming that I never wanted kids. Poor woman, I only let it go when she told me I couldn't have the surgery until I was in my 20s.
    Oh my goodness that's hilarious! I used to tell my mom "as soon as I turn 18 I'm going to have a family and be a mom." Not realizing at the time how insanely young that was. I lasted until 22. Haha.
    BabyFetus Ticker

image image

• I wanted to be a marine biologist, come to find out I get terrible sea sickness…haha.

I'm a statistician now. It pays the bills but nothing incredibly fulfilling.

I think at least one of the kiddos will want to be a vet mostly because DH is and every single vet I know has a parent that was a vet or has a kid that is becoming a vet. It seems to run strong in families.
    I'm a FTM but we definitely want to have another baby in a couple years but I could see one of our kids becoming a doctor because that's what my DH is and like you said with being a vet, usually one kid always carries that profession on. 

edited April 2014
    Yea my work after college had nothing to do with journalism. I'm planning to go back to school in a couple of years to become a therapist after the little ones are in pre-school. 

• Skeemer said:

I wanted to be a lawyer. I'm a secretary instead.

I think DS wants to be Barney. Lol.

Thats sweet :) 

• I wanted to be a singer! :D or a princess lol I used to dress up alllllll the time and make my sister play "castle" with me. Not gonna lie, I still sing in my room with a brush and play dress up with my DD. when she's not in a mood -_- I have sang in a few concerts and shows before so part of that worked out. Never did become a princess though haha. I think my DS will grow up and do music. He takes guitar lessons and he's really good so far. He's loved music since he was a baby. DD might do Ballet of gymnastics. She's always dancing or rolling and flipping. YDS will be a heartbreaker. He's so damn cute!!!!! Lol
    I'm not going to lie, wanting to be a princess is pretty adorable. My GD wants to be a princess :) 

edited April 2014
    I have a 5 year old niece who says when she grows up, she wants to a convertible and a mini van. Her mom drives a mini van so she thinks thats cool. lol. 

ETA: words are hard. 

• I am a public interest attorney. I represent the poor, mainly women in my project doing matrimonial and family law. Never a dull moment! The pay sucks for the amount of schooling I have, but I love my job.

I never thought I would be an attorney!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• JP27 said:
    I wanted to be inspector gadget for an embarrassing amount of time. I did not become Inspector Gadget. 

I
    I love that!!! 

• I wanted to be a teacher and I wanted to be a SAHM. I've actually gotten to do both! I do plan to go back to teaching when my kids are in school, although that is less enticing now that I've actually taught "in the system." I still believe in public school, but it was really stressful at times and not about the teaching aspect nearly enough...too much testing and other bullshit. I went to a good college with a great education program and teachers are barely being allowed to teach using their own expertise and experience anymore...(sorry...that turned into a bit of a rant).
    This exactly! I have a lot of teachers in my family that always ask me if I miss teaching/will go back to it. I honestly think I would hate teaching in the States as it is now. Ideally if I went back to teaching it would be in New Zealand because they have their shizz together in the education department. Student teaching there was magical!
                                                      Pregnancy Ticker
                                                                Zero tv photo image.jpg  image

• I wanted to be a nurse, but it is so damn competitive here that I dropped out and went to massage school instead. Now I work in real estate/title. I am still really into holistic health and natural medicine so maybe when I grow up I can get back into it.

DD is very nurturing but also pretty bossy. I wouldn't be surprised if she became a nurse or a teacher.

DS might get stuck in the family business with DH. DH and all the men in his family are very intelligent and have "engineerial" minds. I hope he inherits that!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

• brewbecksbrewbecks member
    edited April 2014
    I always wanted to be a dolphin trainer at sea world.

Then I decided to be an xray tech. After my first 2 years of college and passing out at the sight of every needle I decided I needed a new profession. Now I am a second grade teacher!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Caitlinrj‌

Our daughters could be best friends lol they can be bossy together.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • When I was little I wanted to be a vet  I did a job-shadow in middle school and ruled that out after watching a cat be declawed.  I don't have a weak stomach, but it just made me very sad! 

Then I was going to be a chemist and cure Alzheimer's.  I went to college and got a degree in chemistry just in time to realize I hate chemistry.  Work as a scientist for 4 whole months to confirm that I in fact, hate chemistry.

Moved into Pharmaceuticals since the industry is huge in this area.  Worked in clinical research (kinda like science, but not really) and I've since moved on to being a project manager at a software development company (nothing at all like science).

Since I'm in the industry now with computer programmers and app developers, I want my kids to at least try a computer science area.  I'm marketable because we work in the pharma space and I came from that area, but these developers are insanely marketable.  It's crazy how much they can do and how much they are needed.

Really, I think if any is considering a career change, they should check out computer programming or business intelligence development.  
    //

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

::formerly csmith - regular/lurker since Nov13:: 
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • When I was really little, I wanted to be a nurse so I could take care of my sick uncle. After that, I wanted to be a librarian, an artist, and a counselor. Ended up becoming a nurse after all but definitely do not take care of adults. No thank you! I like tiny humans, not full grown ones.
                                                           photo Loss_zpse03013d0.png      image

Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker

• I wanted to be a fashion designer. I love drawing and making clothes for plus sizes. Got my degree in anthropology (focused on archaeology) and somehow wound up building and now managing the marketing and creative services department for an insurance brokerage that focuses on energy companies.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"