October 2014 Moms
Options

Formula Feeding

2»

Re: Formula Feeding

• Options
    I will also say I have no desire to BF But do it because it is healthier and cheaper for our family. But I hate it and I can't stand the feeling of it. It makes me very irritable when they do it. I fully understand moms that Eff. It is 100% your choice. I never had the hospital try and push me one way or the other. They got me formula with #1 and they brought in LC who tried to help me with #2. Both times they were very supportive I don't even personally know that breast in best anymore if you consider all the crap we eat and what is in it now. A long time ago I fully believe that but advancements were no where close to what we have now.
    This.  The fact that formula can be so expensive has definitely been a factor in rethinking my decision.  I'm on the fence about the "breast is best" thing as well.  Especially b/c of all the advancements.  I've seen both sides of babies being breastfed and being very sickly, and then being really healthy.  With FF it's the same thing.  Both of my boys are ahead in milestones and have been quite healthy, so that argument doesn't really sway me.  The bond you have with baby while BF I think is the same when FF.  I still connect with my little peanut when I sit, feed him his bottle, and look in his eyes, snuggle him, etc.  

BabyFruit Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary
  • Options
    I'm a FF momma! Formula fed both my babies from day one and plan to do it again this time around. Love FF'ing!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    DiannaVB said:
    Kudos to you for admitting you plan to FF. Hopefully the virtual lynch mob doesn't start attacking.

Choosing what's best for both you and your child is what is most important when making your personal FF vs. BF decisions. We should all be able to feed our children either way or in any combination without being attacked for our choices.
    Breastfeeding advocates get so much flak, but this thread has been perfectly respectful right up until this comment, which comes from a pro-FF perspective. Preemptive animosity = disappointing.
    Made it to page 2 before the fighting started. Impressive. Clearly you haven't been on the bump for long if you didn't see this one coming.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Well despite the drama that's beginning to erupt, I will throw in my plans for the OP and anyone curious - 

This go round I plan to either EP or FF or start with EP and transition to FF. 

DD1 had trouble latching even with tons and tons of LC support. With DD2, I was on a lot of different meds and dealing with the first flare up of my Transverse Myelitis and since we didn't understand what was going on with me we decided to FF.

I never felt any guilt. The most stress I ever felt was with just the stress of trying to make something work that wasn't going to work the first go round. My kids are wonderful and healthy and we are happy with our choices. 
  • Options
    @emerald27 I agree with most of what you said, but the part about it being natural like walking but you need to learn how to do it is extremely poorly worded. Similar to what another poster mentioned there are those of us who struggled to make it work but were not successful no matter what we tried. I worked with multiple lactation consultants and my doctor to try to make it work. I tried multiple consultants in the hope that someone could help me. I tried pretty much everything imaginable to increase my supply and decrease my pain. I would nurse my daughter for an hour and she would scream because she was starving. I didn't treasure holding her as much as I should have because even holding her to my chest caused so much pain. What I struggled with as a mother was the idea that my body was made to do this but I could not make it work. To be honest, just thinking about it now makes me want to tear up. My daughter did get a lot of breast milk because I ended up pumping until she was 1, but there was a lot of formula thrown in as well and I was never able to properly nurse her.

So when you say that it is natural just like walking, or something like that, yes it rubs me the wrong way. I don't think you intended to come across that way, and I don't think your post was bitchy, but like I said it was poorly worded especially after reading some comments from posters who tried everything and were not successful. Breastfeeding is hard for most people, but it is harder for others and impossible for some.

Regarding the original post I will try BF again, but my goal is to not be as hard on myself if it ends up like it did last time. I understand that it does not work for everyone and you can raise a healthy baby on formula. I'm thankful for that option.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerAnniversary

• Options
    12bailey1812bailey18 member
    edited March 2014
    Thank you so much for all of the responses.  I must be in the minority of moms who exclusively formula feed, being that most women try BF and then due to reasons out of their control have to switch.  Whatever your choices, I fully support you.  In my eyes, no way is the right way.  You have to do what's right for you.

I was hoping there were women out there who just didn't have a strong urge to BF.  I've never felt like I NEEDED to.  It never felt like it was a necessary thing for me being a mom.  I know my babies are healthy and happy and in the end that's what matters most.

Thank you so much for all of the responses.  I must be in the minority of moms who exclusively formula feed, being that most women try BF and then due to reasons out of their control have to switch.  Whatever your choices, I fully support you.  In my eyes, no way is the right way.  You have to do what's right for you.

I was hoping there were women out there who just didn't have a strong urge to BF.  I've never felt like I NEEDED to.  It never felt like it was a necessary thing for me being a mom.  I know my babies are healthy and happy and in the end that's what matters most.

Yep, I can relate so much to this. I jokingly tell people I completely missed that motherly instinct to nurse my young, lol. I never had a single desire to BF and never felt guilty about it. My babies did great on formula and everyone was happy. It works for me even though it's not the norm.
  • Options
    I had no interest in BF.  I hate the idea of anything touching my nipples, DH included.  I was adamant I was going to FF and felt a lot of shame about it when pregnant.

I told my doctor, and his response was, "why would you feel bad about that?".  He said the most important thing I could do for my child was make choices that would fit our family.  I found comfort in this, and never looked back.

DS was born and was FF by DH in the hospital since I was exhausted.  Since we were able to trade off feedings, DH and DS formed an incredible bond early on.  There was no difference in care between mommy and daddy.  I loved that about our new family!

DS has NEVER had the stomach flu, and is sick far less often than his classmates (no idea if they were BF or not).  He was a happy baby, and slept through the night by 3 months of age.  I don't know that any of that is BECAUSE of formula, but he certain seems ok in spite of never having BF.  

One mistake we did make however, was letting him have too much milk when he stopped the formula and started eating solids.  This depleted his iron intake... so take note- don't let your child drink milk with their meals, and instead make sure they have some vitamin C with them.  Who knew?  

I have no plans to BF this next LO either, and feel good about it.  There are all kinds of decisions we are going to have to make.  The parenting battle isn't won or lost on the decision to BF or FF... that's only the beginning!

Me: Endometriosis, PCOS, Insulin Resistance, Estrogen Dominance, Irregular Cycles
    DH:  100% Abnormal Sperm Morphology
     BFP #1 (Surprise!)  "Monkey"- 09/16/2006. DS born 06/01/2007.   
    BFP #2  "Quinn" EDD 06/21/13- MMC @ 8 weeks - Disc. 12/12/12 @ 13w0d 
    BFP #3  "Luna" EDD 03/31/14- MC 07/29/13 @ 5 w0d 
    BFP #4  "Star" EDD 07/06/14- MC 11/28/13 @ 8 weeks
    BFP #5 "Baby J"- 02/07/14. DS born 10/29/2014 My Rainbow!
    ~Everyone Welcome~

• Options
    I had no interest in BF.  I hate the idea of anything touching my nipples, DH included.  I was adamant I was going to FF and felt a lot of shame about it when pregnant.

I told my doctor, and his response was, "why would you feel bad about that?".  He said the most important thing I could do for my child was make choices that would fit our family.  I found comfort in this, and never looked back.

DS was born and was FF by DH in the hospital since I was exhausted.  Since we were able to trade off feedings, DH and DS formed an incredible bond early on.  There was no difference in care between mommy and daddy.  I loved that about our new family!

DS has NEVER had the stomach flu, and is sick far less often than his classmates (no idea if they were BF or not).  He was a happy baby, and slept through the night by 3 months of age.  I don't know that any of that is BECAUSE of formula, but he certain seems ok in spite of never having BF.  

One mistake we did make however, was letting him have too much milk when he stopped the formula and started eating solids.  This depleted his iron intake... so take note- don't let your child drink milk with their meals, and instead make sure they have some vitamin C with them.  Who knew?  

I have no plans to BF this next LO either, and feel good about it.  There are all kinds of decisions we are going to have to make.  The parenting battle isn't won or lost on the decision to BF or FF... that's only the beginning!
    Absolutely true!  At the end of the day it is such a minor thing.

BabyFruit Ticker

Anniversary
  • Options
    @JessAnnJ‌ I really appreciate your insight on that analogy. I use it often when helping mothers who are struggling to breastfeed because I so frequently hear them say "I thought it would be easy. It's supposed to be natural." ...and it IS natural, but it's not easy...and there's truly a significant learning curve.

I really meant the analogy to mean that "not everything natural is automatic," rather than "everyone can learn to do it." ...does that make sense?

I'm glad to know that this analogy is offensive to some so that I can exercise more caution in when/how I use it. I truly meant it in an encouraging way, not condescending at all! So sorry to have offended you.
    imageimage
  • Options
    @Nicb13 That's really great to hear. After I read your comment, I went online and looked into it. Looks like you need to tell the hospital your wishes. What caused me to have the fear I did was that I had read other mothers' experiences with hospitals giving their child formula without their permission and in one case that it was the policy to give at least 1 bottle of formula before the family could leave the hospital. I am not sure if it was factual or maybe a misunderstanding. I am a planner, so I will definitely have a plan in place when I get to that stage. I have had an excellent experience with my hospital so far, so I doubt there will be any issues where I feel pressure either way. 

FTM - BFP: 1/23/14 - EDD: 10/5/14 - DD Born 9/13/14

• Options

@Nicb13 That's really great to hear. After I read your comment, I went online and looked into it. Looks like you need to tell the hospital your wishes. What caused me to have the fear I did was that I had read other mothers' experiences with hospitals giving their child formula without their permission and in one case that it was the policy to give at least 1 bottle of formula before the family could leave the hospital. I am not sure if it was factual or maybe a misunderstanding. I am a planner, so I will definitely have a plan in place when I get to that stage. I have had an excellent experience with my hospital so far, so I doubt there will be any issues where I feel pressure either way. 

Sometimes babies are given formula in hospitals without the parents' knowledge, but that happens more often when baby doesn't room in with the parents, or is sent to the nursery for a few hours and becomes hungry before the parents request that he/she be returned to the room.

Requesting no artificial nipples of any kind is a helpful first step, and stating your intention to EBF is another.

You can also research the hospitals in your area to find the one with the most "baby friendly" practices, and plan to deliver there. :)
    imageimage
  • Options
    Ive told my story on here before and dont feel like typing it out again (Im mobile) but Im planning on trying to EP for the first 6 weeks and then switching to FF whenever. I have NO desire to BF and love the convenience of FF.

I EP DD for about the first 7 months and other than her jaundice when she was born (main reason I didnt BF) she has always been a healthy baby. No flu or even no colds really. On the other hand, I have seen multiple BF moms whose children are always sick. So the immunity stuff with BM doesnt always seem true to me.

Also we started DD on Similac Advamced and eventually started buying the store brand that is comparable to it (Parents Choice Advantage). Walmart makes the same thing (all different types) and it was cheaper even after F coupons. I will probably do the same this time as well if baby is ok with it!
  • Options
    @Emerald27‌ - Thank you. I understand that you were not trying to be mean. It was just something that jumped out at me. We all have our things that we are sensitive about and this is definitely mine.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerAnniversary

• Options
    Ive told my story on here before and dont feel like typing it out again (Im mobile) but Im planning on trying to EP for the first 6 weeks and then switching to FF whenever. I have NO desire to BF and love the convenience of FF. I EP DD for about the first 7 months and other than her jaundice when she was born (main reason I didnt BF) she has always been a healthy baby. No flu or even no colds really. On the other hand, I have seen multiple BF moms whose children are always sick. So the immunity stuff with BM doesnt always seem true to me. Also we started DD on Similac Advamced and eventually started buying the store brand that is comparable to it (Parents Choice Advantage). Walmart makes the same thing (all different types) and it was cheaper even after F coupons. I will probably do the same this time as well if baby is ok with it!
    With our first we were formula snobs.  We only bought name brands and damn was that expensive.  With our second we switched to the Target generic Up & Up.  Ingredients are the same just cheaper.  Plus there's always coupons.

BabyFruit Ticker

Anniversary
  • Options
    We live generic in our house too. I was sad when they put DS2 on Nutramagin which has no generic
  • Options
    There is a Costco brand version of Enfamil Premium that is exactly the same. DH and I did a side by side comparison last week. It was a lot cheaper. I love Costco. I have used the Target brand in the past too and it compares as well.

• Options
    SSFC2014 said:

I want to BF this one but it makes me nervous after my struggles with it with my first. He was born with a cleft lip/palate and had absolutely no suction. I was doing great about day 4 and then my ILs showed up and I was stressed around them so I wasn't eating or drinking as much. Then at day 6 we went to Children's hospital for his first appointment with his plastic surgeon. While there he was taken by my ex to the lab because the nurse was concerned about jaundice and just after ex and mil left the nurse told me that it was my fault he was jaundiced because I wasn't doing enough. I stopped eating, drinking, and went into a severe depression and didn't even want to hold my baby. I was so mad at myself for it all.

I'm determined to be happy with however things go this time around.

That was in no way your fault . If you feel that way again please seek help. Mothers don't deserve to feel like that.

You loved your baby and that was enough. Sometimes there are just medical things out of control. In fact most babies are jaundice to some extent... Hugs to you lady for a better round 2
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    @TheOtherJacobsens - I have no agenda whatsoever, other than hoping that all moms feel truly supported in their choices to feed their child, whether it's breastfeeding, FF, a combination of the two, donor milk, etc.  Breastfeeding is one of those things that can be extremely sensitive for moms and moms-to-be, and I think it's wise to consider word choice when discussing these things, even if meaning to be supportive.  I'm not sure what you consider my "agenda" to be otherwise.  I do think that advocating "Breast is Best" is BS because it makes other moms feel like crap.  I believe "Feeding your baby is Best."  So, if that's the agenda you're referencing, sorry I'm not sorry for feeling that way.

ETA: Which is not to say that moms shouldn't EBF if that's what they want.  Like I said above, I honestly don't care how people feed their kids so long as the kids are fed.  But telling people "Breast is Best", IMO, contributes to a lot of the very sensitive, raw emotions that people feel when they are unable to breastfeed their kids for whatever reason.  Speaking for myself, I carried a ton of guilt about not being able to breastfeed my daughter in part because of the Breast is Best movement and being told that all the time.  

• Options
    We live generic in our house too. I was sad when they put DS2 on Nutramagin which has no generic
    For the month that my daughter was on Elecare, I wanted to cry at the cost of formula.  $45 per can, which lasted no more than 3.5 days.  Horrible.  If our next child has to use formula, I pray that we don't have to go down the elemental formula road again because that stuff is absurdly expensive.

• Options
    I BF for the first 3 days, then pumped/supplemented with formula for the next 4 months. DD lost a full pound in her first 3 days because she wasn't getting anything :( She had a recessed chin which made it difficult for her to latch. I was terrified after that and switched to pumping which worked out really well.

BabyFruit Ticker

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

BFP#1: 11/20/11, EDD 7/25/12, Emily Iris arrived 7/29/12 at 7 lb., 3.5 oz.

BFP#2: 8/25/13, EDD 5/4/14, MMC confirmed on 9/23/13, D&C on 9/26/13

BFP#3: 2/3/14, EDD 10/15/14, fraternal TWINS confirmed 2/21/14, two BOYS confirmed on 4/15/14!

• Options

For the month that my daughter was on Elecare, I wanted to cry at the cost of formula.  $45 per can, which lasted no more than 3.5 days.  Horrible.  If our next child has to use formula, I pray that we don't have to go down the elemental formula road again because that stuff is absurdly expensive.

I don't even know how I would pay for that.
    :(
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Nutramagin is the same. It is 35 a can and last 3-4 days. I hate it.
  • Options
    I planned to FF my DS for many reasons but mainly so DH could participate. I ended up having no choice anyway as I was on a magnesium drip for post partum toxemia. Either way I've never regretted it. He is NEvER ill,his immune system stellar, always been a healthy weight, and appears to be as or more intelligent than his peers. No real stretch there I swear some of the kids at preschool are brain dead. Anyway aside from$$$ no negatives I've seen from formula.
    Lilypie - (JLjB)

• Options
    I have to supplement. I've had a breast reduction and with the PCOS, I produced only enough for 1 feeding during a 24 hour span. And that was only at about 2 weeks. After that I didn't even make enough for a feeding. Hoping for better results this time, but we know we'll have to mainly use formula. And that's ok.
    Meagan
    30 dx with PCOS 2010 treating with metformin
    DS1 12-29-11 DS2 11-4-14
    BFP 10/19/13 missed mc at 5 weeks d&c 11/18/13
    BFP 2/16/14 Please stick baby! !  EDD 10/31/14
    DX with septate uterus 3/1/14
  • Options
    Wishing35Wishing35 member
    edited March 2014
    I planned on bf and had a hard time in the hospital. I had to give my girls formula when their blood sugar went too low ,and from then on I would attempt to breast feed and then give formula as a supplement. After the hospital I had a lc come to the house and I tried but wound up giving up. It was so easy to give the bottle and share the feedings with my husband and family. I did feel really guilty at first, with this baby I want to try again but I won't beat myself up about it if it doesnt happen. Also any ff mothers if your baby does have an allergy or need for certain formula some insurances will cover it. Mine covers for the babies 100%.
    Oh and my hospital gave me to a of the similac disposable bottles and nipples.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I wanted to BF, but it didn't work out.  I had a lot of guilt over it from my daughter due to her reflux issues and our constant battle to find a formula that worked for her tummy.  That said, I think it's super bitchy and unnecessary to come into a thread directed at women who *plan to formula feed* and start spouting Breast is Best bullshit.  Congrats on having a contrary opinion, but surely no one asked for it in this instance.

OP: I've decided that if we FF again this time, I'm buying this and it's not even close.  God, did I hate having to make bottles in the MOTN.  https://www.babybrezza.com/store.php/formula-pro/formula-pro/

I have constantly told DH that we need a mini fridge in the bedroom to store pre-made bottles.  Even then, I still have to warm them to room temperature.  The Formula Pro looks awesome.  What a great idea.
    I never bothered with warming I had the bottles ready with powder and water on my nightstand I would pour and shake! They never got used to having warm bottles and didn't care at all.

• Options

I didn't have any sort of biological urge to breastfeed or anything like that, but it was very, very important to me to give my son breast milk, so I worked really hard at it. Three years later, we are still nursing twice a day, and it has more emotional significance to me now than then. Nursing actually felt really awkward and mathematical at first... for many weeks, in fact. I'm curious to see how BFing #2 goes, if I can be more in touch with it as a "natural act" or something. If not, it doesn't matter. Breastfeeding is my gift to my kids.
    Me: 31  ~  Copilot: 37  ~  Our son: 3/25/11 ~ Our daughter: 10/5/14
  • Options
    I saw the Baby brezza in a magazine and told DH that we MUST have that!!! It looks amazing. And for those that exclusively FF, I think it's totally a justified purchase!!
    Meagan
    30 dx with PCOS 2010 treating with metformin
    DS1 12-29-11 DS2 11-4-14
    BFP 10/19/13 missed mc at 5 weeks d&c 11/18/13
    BFP 2/16/14 Please stick baby! !  EDD 10/31/14
    DX with septate uterus 3/1/14
  • Options

MLE_C2B said:

No real stretch there I swear some of the kids at preschool are brain dead.

Wow. Was that necessary?

Apparently her kid is a genius and everyone else has dumbos because they breastfed? I'm not sure...

I didn't really take it that way. But I would imagine mother's of little ones with actual mental disabilities wouldn't think that was very well put. 

You can call an annoying boss or the person who cuts you off on the freeway brain dead all you want. Calling little, growing kiddos brain dead just makes me a little sick.

I'm probably being over-sensitive. Not trying to start anything, just caught me off guard. :| 

You're not being overly sensitive, that was a real asshole thing to say. Seriously, who insults kids? Smh

• Options

This is probably a silly question, but I'll be a FTM and have no clue....

Will the hospital have formula readily available in the event that BF just doesn't happen? OR is this something that I need to have on hand just in case? I wouldn't have any clues what brands to even look at...I plan on trying to BF but if it doesn't work I'll be doing FF.

If your baby NEEDS formula for some medical reason at birth (problems regulating blood glucose, for example), the hospital will be able to provide that for your baby. Otherwise, there probably won't be formula hanging around. There's been a big push for hospitals to become more baby-friendly, which means they're not allowed to give out samples of free formula anymore.

When I had my ds two years ago they gave me formula. They even gave me extra to take home and sample packs. Maybe in different areas they don't give it? I already got samples from my ob at my first u/s appt and they will give me two more goodie bags with samples before I deliver.
  • Options
    I wouldn't count on any hospital having or not having something. Every hospital is different. What you CAN do is ask when you do the walk-through. Start making a list now of things you will want to ask when you visit the hospital before birth. Is there formula available? They should be able to tell you on the spot, and if it isn't, you will still have plenty of time to buy some before delivery. By all means research which kind you want to use now, and then when the time comes you can bring it to the hospital, or just use what they have available until you bring LO home.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @Emerald27‌ I don't think your comments came off as preachy or having an agenda at all. In a thread about FFing, where so many moms have said that they tried to breastfeed but couldn't and had to switch to formula, I think it's good to get some support should they wish to try breastfeeding again.

I breastfed my son for 7 months but had to supplement with formula after every feed due to severe supply problems from prior breast surgery. While I am very happy I was able to give him some breast milk, it was very time-consuming (45-60 mins per feed, including the time it took to prepare and feed the bottle). I'm not sure what my supply will be like with #2 but I imagine that I won't have that kind of time to just sit on my couch and feed an infant all day. I'm going to play it by ear but will definitely not avoid formula until my poor child has lost >10% of their birth weight at 2 weeks old and is showing clinical signs of dehydration like I did the last time. So I guess I'm planning to do a combination of the two.

With regards to formula at the hospital I will be delivering at a "baby friendly" hospital. Part of their mandate is that no formula or artificial nipples are to be offered to a baby and that baby will room-in with mom unless they have a medical condition requiring a stay in the level II NICU. I think this is great, although now that I'm having #2 I'm thinking some free formula and a few hours to myself would be awesome....
  • Options
    I FF #1 and will FF this one as well. I made this choice for a number of reasons, but ultimately it was about what was going to be best for my family. I am unbelievable encouraged and proud to be a part of this board that has been so supportive of this choice. I can't even get into the amount of judging and ridicule I went through with my last baby. This thread just made my night.
  • Options
    Friends have the baby brezza and love it. We were starting to introduce solids and by that point decided it wasn't worth the money. We did get the dr browns formula stiring thing which makes the bottles for the day much faster. I'd recommend it as a cheaper option if planning to ff.
    YES!  A personal recommendation definitely makes this an easier sell to DH.  I'm sure he thinks it's kind of lame, but I think he will underestimate how much either of us will want to be going up and down the stairs at night to do bottles while also dealing with a toddler.

• Options

Its funny because I have the exact opposite fears when it comes to bf-ing and formula.  I had two surgeries on my breasts many years ago, due to painful cystic tumors.  One to remove and another to reconstruct as best possible.  Since I am not certain if I can physically breast feed, I'm terrified that the nurses will force me to keep trying when its not working, and not be respectful that there is a very good chance I will at least need to supplement with formula if not go all formula. 

Of course I want to try, but knowing what I already know from specialists who've looked at my situation, bf-ing doesn't look good.  I should probably make certain that I bring my little dossier of information with me in our bag - even if the OB has the info ahead of time.

Native NYC-ers living in Switzerland - First time parents - 36 + 37

TTC: 8 Months / BFP: 2/8/2014 / EDD: 10/20/2014  

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    kittenmittonkittenmitton member
    edited April 2014
    archi35 said:

Its funny because I have the exact opposite fears when it comes to bf-ing and formula.  I had two surgeries on my breasts many years ago, due to painful cystic tumors.  One to remove and another to reconstruct as best possible.  Since I am not certain if I can physically breast feed, I'm terrified that the nurses will force me to keep trying when its not working, and not be respectful that there is a very good chance I will at least need to supplement with formula if not go all formula. 

Of course I want to try, but knowing what I already know from specialists who've looked at my situation, bf-ing doesn't look good.  I should probably make certain that I bring my little dossier of information with me in our bag - even if the OB has the info ahead of time.

If you are open to trying, I'd recommend seeing a lactation consultant, discussing possible prescription meds with your doc and looking into a hospital-grade pump before you have the baby.

If you are planning on formula feeding, the hospital really should respect your decision. I think bringing some info about your surgeries with you is a good plan, as well as preparing your partner to advocate on your behalf. I would hate to think that either feeding choice would be pushed on anyone, although I know it happens both ways.

Friends have the baby brezza and love it. We were starting to introduce solids and by that point decided it wasn't worth the money. We did get the dr browns formula stiring thing which makes the bottles for the day much faster. I'd recommend it as a cheaper option if planning to ff.

Now I want this baby Brezza.... I made the mistake of thinking that a nice warm bottle would be a great part of my son's bedtime routine, naturally he would only take warm bottles after that. I had a Tommee Tippee thermos with a plastic cover. I would keep hot water in there, and the room temp formula water in the bottle with a dispenser of pre-mixed powdered formula. When he needed a bottle I'd mix one and warm it in the hot water. It worked well, but this invention looks magical. I'm going to try to get #2 to take his/her bottles at room temperature though.

Edited because quoting is hard.
  • Options
    I exclusively pumped for 5 months with DS because his impatience and latching issues.  I refuse to go through that again.  We will give bf a shot, but if it doesn't work out I'm going 100% formula this time.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

I tried BF for 3 months with DD, but I had trouble producing milk.  I saw a lactation consultant, a lactation doctor, drank the Mother's Milk tea, tried pumping - nothing worked.  I also took her to the classes where we weighed her before & after the feeding, but she lost weight after she fed.  They thought she was burning more calories than she consumed.  DD also had jaundice at the beginning, so she really needed to stay hydrated.  The La Leche Leaguers told me not to supplement, whatever I do, because my milk supply will increase!  Well, if I didn't FF, DD would have starved to death.

I used the little bag of formula around my neck, with the straw along my nipple, so DD could get some from me & some from the formula.  What a PITA that was at 3 a.m.  I stressed so much about feeding, I wish I would have given up trying to BF sooner.

Later, I found out that I am hypothyroid, which may have caused some of the problem.  DD was also born 3 weeks early, which could have contributed.  And I started seeing a new OB with this pregnancy, who suggested the issue could be with the glands in my breast - some people just don't have the right glands to produce milk.  She's going to do a breast u/s later in my pregnancy to check it out.  My breasts never changed (got bigger) during my last pregnancy, and they don't appear to be changing now.  This time around, I'm not going to waste time & energy BFing if it doesn't work at first.

Lilypie Maternity tickers

DD: 6/21/10
    DS: 10/11/14
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"