November 2015 Moms
Options

UniBrow on a child

This question isn't pregnancy related but maybe other moms on here or soon to be moms might be able to help me with this.

I have a daughter who will be 5 next month and start kindergarten in the fall well she has a unibrow and I'm not sure if I should leave it, wax it, pluck it or use one of those trimmer things on it? You can't see it from across the room but when you are pretty close to her you can see it because she has very dark brown hair and her eyebrows are very noticeable. All the relatives on my DH's side say ohhhh she has the Kern unibrow so I'm guessing after hearing this that it runs on his side of the family.

The problem is she is still young but if family members have said stuff then I'm sure some little kid will eventually make fun or say something as well so if I can avoid that maybe I should take care of it now? Not really sure what to do but I would like other input on this situation. Thanks!!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: UniBrow on a child

• Options
    If I were in your situation I would wax or pluck. . She will thank you later in life.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would use a trimmer only cause that's not going to be as painful. I also agree that I wouldn't wax a girl that young. She probably will thank you dearly when she gets older.
  • Options
    I agree with the option of asking your daughter. Right now it doesn't strike me as too much of a big deal, but when she's older it may be one. I have friends that did start taking their daughter to get her eye brows waxed, but not until she wanted it which happened to be right before middle school started.
  • Options
    I would use trimmers for now. I had a friend that had a pretty noticeable unibrow when she was little and it made her very self conscious of showing childhood pictures as she grew up. Trimmers solve the issue without the pain of waxing
  • Options
    I think you should wait a little longer. She's too young and you dont want to teach her that she should change her looks to please other people.
  • Options
    What do your female inlaws do about the Kern unbrow and when did they start? You know your daughter but I agree that 5 seems young. However, if she notices it and wants to change it OR you feel that it's inevitable that kids will ridicule her, do the least invasive thing. Definitely ask advice in real life from people who can see it.
  • Options
    As a person who was a hairy child, I know I was teased. I had hairy arms and remember getting teased about it in Kindergarten. I would wait until your daughter comes home and says something to you and then give her options. I would have appreciated my Mom doing that.

On the flip side I have learned to live with my hairy arms, getting teased gave me thick skin. I am definitely hoping my kids get my husbands less hairy jeans though.
  • Options
    My 8 year old came up to me with my electric mini trimmer and said " here I don't like this hair between my eyebrows. Can you take it off?" I said sure and with one swoop it was gone and she was happy :)
  • Options
    elbouelbou member

I don't think I could trust my 5 year old to sit still enough to shave it, and I would not want to inflict the pain of waxing on such a young child. Plucking hurts just as bad, in my opinion, so I would leave it unless she mentions it. It may not bug her at all, but if it does, I would definitely go the trimmer route as most have a safety guard type around the blade.

Also, do you really want to be the one who tells her (directly or indirectly) that she is not totally perfect?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I agree to let her ask you. I have distinct memories when I was 6 of being made fun of for my hairy legs. I came home crying and my mom let me use nair below my knees. I'll never forget how happy that made me. :) To this day I shave my arms, too. Ridicule sucks.
  • Options
    I agree that you should wait until she comes to you about it. You don't want to make her self conscious about something that isn't bothering her yet! Once she brings it up offer a solution! We all just want to save our kiddos from being teased! Your heart is definitely in the right place :)
  • Options
    My 5 year old has a unibrow just like my husband and I just leave it alone. Granted she's got very light brown hair, so it's not dark like my husbands. She's also homeschooled and the social groups we're apart of don't really have bullying like in other schools. One kid asked her about it and she said it's just my eyebrows and that was it. I probably won't do anything to hers anytime soon. I was bullied for so many reasons in school. And I mean physically and mentally beat down everyday and I feel like I'm stronger for it so I honestly don't know what I'd do in that situation of bullies at school. Maybe leave it up to her saying something to you. If she's okay with being who she is than let her, but if it messes with her self esteem than trimmers or something will probably be the best bet.
  • Options
    I would leave it until she thinks it's a problem. Don't make her think it's an issue. That seems way too young to be worrying about things like that and could open up a whole rabbit hole of insecurities.

But if she expresses concern about it I would lay out her options and help her get rid of it.
  • Options
    I'd wait.  My 10yr old step daughter has a bit of a unibrow and has dark brown hair.  She's a beautiful little girl who is very sensitive and has a lot of insecurities, both physical and emotional.  I'm not saying anything to her about it that will make her think there is something wrong with her.  Between my idiot mil telling both my 9 and 10yr old daughters that being skinny is so beautiful and she hopes they never get fat and my occasionally idiot bf poking her tummy and giving her raspberries telling her she has a cute round tummy (Fine for a small child, not fine for a 10yr old with self esteem issues.)  I don't feel I need to provide her any more ammunition for low self esteem. 
    June Siggy Challenge image
  • Options
    vomitrosavomitrosa member
    edited May 2015

This is actually a great topic, my daughter who is 6 1/2 has thick hair, and has a unibrow and hairy legs. I left it forever until she said kids at school were teasing her about it.

It has left me with a hard decision because 6 seems so young to teach her about shaving her legs and plucking eyebrows. We have started plucking between her brows, not shaping or anything crazy just plucking the hairs and she said it doesn't hurt at all and she is so relieved to not be teased about it. I wouldn't recommend wax....I go for the most natural approach and don't take too much hair, just enough so its lightened and she feels better.

Also, I didn't start doing this until she had a problem with it. It was actually bothering her and she came to me. I haven't done anything about her legs yet, but she has been asking me.

• Options
    vomitrosa said:

This is actually a great topic, my daughter who is 6 1/2 has thick hair, and has a unibrow and hairy legs. I left it forever until she said kids at school were teasing her about it.

It has left me with a hard decision because 6 seems so young to teach her about shaving her legs and plucking eyebrows. We have started plucking between her brows, not shaping or anything crazy just plucking the hairs and she said it doesn't hurt at all and she is so relieved to not be teased about it. I wouldn't recommend wax....I go for the most natural approach and don't take too much hair, just enough so its lightened and she feels better.

Also, I didn't start doing this until she had a problem with it. It was actually bothering her and she came to me. I haven't done anything about her legs yet, but she has been asking me.

My mom used nair for me, back when you had to leave it on for like 15 minutes! BLAH! Definitely recommend Veet for her shins/calves! Made me feel sooooo much better.
  • Options
    Let her choose for sure, but definitely do the girl a favour and wax rather than trim. I feel for you, it's a tricky decision because of her age but I can totally see where you're coming from in just trying to protect her from bullying etc :)
  • Options
    I agree with JStill.. I myself offer professional waxing in salons and have lots of moms bring their little ones in. The youngest I've had was a 7 year old boy actually. Though most moms first concern is esthetic, a lot of them voice on their own it is part of good hygiene, looking and feeling your best.

One of my brothers particularly was hairy as a child and extremely now as a man, but he knows when he cleans up, his eyebrows are part of normal grooming habits(thanks to some sisterly advice).

One last thing, if you so choose, I think trimmers are also your best option if your daughters eyebrows have baby hairs all around them. Waxing would make a stark bald spot and force you to wax the entire areas needed instead of just the middle. BUT, there are waxes for sensitive skin as well so it's not as painful. Just consult with your esthetician.
  • Options
    Almg15Almg15 member
    If it was my child i wouldn't wait until she said something to me..only because that could mean that someone is already teasing her about it or what if she wants it gone but is embarrassed to say anything. When i pluck my eyebrows, my son will watch me and iv plucked a few of his as a joke and to show him what it feels like. I tell him that girls need to do this so they wont have man eyebrows..and we laugh about it..so just dont make it a big deal. Do hers when u do yours.
  • Options

I guess I have a totally different opinion than most here so I felt compelled to share. I think I would trim it. I don't think you would be telling her that she's imperfect or making her have insecurities, instead I think you would be showing her that proper grooming habits are important. Just like we teach our children to brush their teeth twice a day, shower with soap, and sit and get their hair cut, this would just become a part of her hygeine routine. I secretly wish someone would have helped my husband learn to get rid of the hair growing out of his ears! Lol ;) Don't make a big deal out of it but just make it a normal thing... When she's older she can wax or pluck. It may also help her to talk to you about these things when she's older if you're open and honest about it now because I was always afraid to tell my mom I wanted to shave my legs or pluck my eyebrows because it was such an awkward conversation.

This. If you let her wait to come to you you've already allowed someone else to introduce to your daughter that she's not perfect. I'd much rather it come from me as a grooming thing than from some jerk kid who made your daughter feel bad about herself.

• Options
    Inwould also leave it up to her BUT when she does does want to do something about it don't trim or shave! Wax. If she even started waxing at 10 by the time she's a teenager the hair would barely be growing back. That she will thank you for:)
  • Options
    If it is that noticable I would just use some safe trimmers. In 2 min it will be gone. Just do it before bath time and call it a day. :)