Breastfeeding
Options

Need some encouragement (low supply, recurrent clogged duct)

edited March 2014 in Breastfeeding
So in addition to battling low supply since my LO was born, I'm now in the midst of battling recurrent clogged ducts. Usually, it will resolve within 24 hours, but tomorrow morning will be the 3-day mark for this one. 

What I've tried: hot compresses, hot showers, hot baths, boob in hot bowl of water before nursing, massage, vibration, advil, dangle feeding, pumping, drinking tons of water, pointing LO's chin toward the block, not pointing LO's chin toward the block... Just bought some lecithin and started taking it today. No white blister on nipple - just a rock-hard, lumpy mass taking up about 1/3 of my left breast. :(

I feel like I'm doing everything I can, and it's exhausting!! It just feels hopeless like it will never come loose. It's somewhat painful, but not terrible and not red. I plan on calling my OB first thing Monday morning (or earlier if it gets worse). I'm just losing hope and feeling like all these battles I'm fighting in order to be able to BF are leaving me stressed out and completely drained. Any advice? Or just general encouragement?
*** Trigger Warnings ***

TTC #1 since March 2011
Dx = Unexplained IF
1 medicated TI cycle & 4 clomid IUIs = all BFNs
June 2013 IVF #1 = 6 frosties + BFP!
DS1 born 2/14

TTC #2 since December 2014
May 2015 unassisted BFP ended in m/c at 7wks
April 2016 FET #1 = BFN
June 2016 FET #2 = c/p
August 2016 FET #3 = BFP!
DS2 born 4/17

Re: Need some encouragement (low supply, recurrent clogged duct)

• Options
    I can't give any advice in the plugged duct, but I can relate to the frustration of supply issues so it must be doubly frustrating to have anther issue took deal with in top. Hang in there and hopefully it's cleared soon.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

mutt_zps2fb5f039-1_zps7220f27c
    BFP 11.8.12 * EDD 7.17.13 * MC 12.20.12
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
     photo bump_zpsf1e8435c.jpgRIP Post Count

• Options
    RDK24RDK24 member
    I understand the frustration of the clogged ducts. It's annoying and a little scary to have a rock hard boob/part of boob! I'm sure you've tried, but just in case you haven't: I feed LO lying down (if I'm on my right side, she nurses from my right boob and LO is lying down on her side) and for some reason that seems to help. I've also had some luck pumping after nursing and literally massaging that spot the whole time the pump is working -- if I'm wearing a pumping bustier, I'll massage over that. 

GL, hang in there!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Not sure if this will help, but I had plugged duct. A lactation consultant told me to use castor oil on a cotton ball a few times a day between feelings. I would just tuck the cotton ball in my bra, and wash my nipple really well before my next feeding. This in combination with heat therapy cleared things up in a few days. I know you said you didn't have blisters, but I thought I would share my experience in case it could help!
  • Options
    ejb23ejb23 member
    I've had clogged duct issues too and you are doing all the right things. Just keep doing it! I had a really persistent one last week and thought it would last forever but after a marathon massage and heat (hot water on diaper then use that as heating pad) then dangle feeding was gone. Good luck

-My step-daughter is 12 years old.

-BFP #1 on 9/2/12, D&C 10/18/12 no heartbeat on US @ 10 weeks.

-BFP #2 on 1/7/13, R was born on 9/22/13 via C-Section

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I agree that feeding baby while laying down (side lying) is a good option. If that doesn't work you should see an OB. You don't want to get an infection or abscess.
  • Options
    Thanks, everyone! The clog FINALLY cleared today!!! We were going on day 5 of clogginess, and I had calls in with my OB and LC, so I'm incredibly relieved that it resolved. Hot compresses and dangle feeding seemed to finally do the trick.

This whole BFing journey has been so trying. The good days are really good, but the bad days are REALLY bad. Now I'm just waiting on my domperidone to arrive. I'm going to keep taking lecithin and hope that this combo will lead to success for us. :)
    *** Trigger Warnings ***

TTC #1 since March 2011
    Dx = Unexplained IF
    1 medicated TI cycle & 4 clomid IUIs = all BFNs
    June 2013 IVF #1 = 6 frosties + BFP!
    DS1 born 2/14

TTC #2 since December 2014
    May 2015 unassisted BFP ended in m/c at 7wks
    April 2016 FET #1 = BFN
    June 2016 FET #2 = c/p
    August 2016 FET #3 = BFP!
    DS2 born 4/17