2nd Trimester
Options

Baby Shower - Who Plans it

Hi Everyone,

I'm new here. 22 Weeks tomorrow and we are not finding out the gender of our baby. Now, this makes the baby shower different (not a gender reveal, etc). 

Here is my question...

No one has said they will host the shower or wants to take charge. We plan on paying for the favors/thank yous...but no one knows that because no one has stepped up. My MIL and MOH planned my wedding shower and it went well but I have some ideas for the baby shower that I'd like to get out there and I want to HELP with this because it's not just FOR me...it's for our family and the first Grandbaby for his parents.

Who typically hosts? How do I ask who is hosting without offending anyone or assuming? I'm a big fan of planning ahead and since the third trimester will be in the summer, I want the save the date out there ASAP so people can come and not be all booked by summer fun, vacations, etc. Again, I plan a head and am the planner in the family so at a little more than halfway through, I feel like it's time to get this ball rolling.

Any advice?

Re: Baby Shower - Who Plans it

• Options
    You can't ask who is hosting without assuming. It's up to the people in your life to offer. 
  • Options
    agree with pp....you can not plan or ask people to throw you a shower.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Also, a friend of mine who didn't find out their baby's gender asked her sisters to wait until after baby was born to have the shower. It was unusual, but overall a good idea I thought. Baby was able to be passed around and loved and the presents given were still about to be given for the right gender :) My hubby and I are not finding out either and have considered that idea.
  • Options
    I feel bad that no one in your life has mentioned it (though they could be in talks about throwing you one and just not telling you!).

I agree with others, you really cant throw one for yourself, or ask someone to throw one for you without it being an awkward situation

I do agree with the previous poster that what you could do is maybe send an announcement to everyone letting them know to mark the date that you have a baby coming and are planning an open house to come see the baby.  (maybe when you are half way through your 3rd trimester).  Then people can stop by see you and the baby and lots of times they will ask if you are registered anywhere, or if there is anything you need.
    DH and I Married 11.12.10
    First BPP 1.24.14
    EDD 9.26.14

Baby Cooper John born on 9.24.14 6lbs9oz

• Options

I have hosted 2 bridal showers and one baby shower in my life. Not one of them did I host alone. I asked for help from other friends and aunts of the bride/new mom. Even though I could afford to host a shower on my own, I feel it's necessary to involve other people close to her as I'm not the only one wanting to give her a shower to remember.

I'm NOT telling her to MAKE someone host a shower for her, or to host it herself (which would be incredibly weird)! Never once did I say that. But as someone else mentioned, there could be talk about hosting a shower and no one has mentioned it to her yet. If that's the case and a shower is in the works, I see no reason why she can't know about it and give her input. Never once have I hosted a shower where I didn't ask if there was something special or in particular that my friend wanted to have or see that day since it's for her.

Not to mention, a person needs to know if they're getting a shower in order to register for gifts. I've never been to a baby shower where every single attendee didn't bring a gift. Whether it's in their financial situation or not, it's kind of an obligation as a woman to bring a gift. If you can't afford a gift, simply don't go and send a card with your love.

I also disagree that a baby shower is for the new mom. It's for the baby, also. I don't buy gifts for the mom when attending a baby shower...I buy a gift for the baby. Sure, the games played may sometimes involve advice for the new mother, but in general the point of a shower, in my opinion, is to welcome a new baby into the world with gifts and love.

• Options
    kareik01 said:

I also disagree that a baby shower is for the new mom. It's for the baby, also. I don't buy gifts for the mom when attending a baby shower...I buy a gift for the baby. Sure, the games played may sometimes involve advice for the new mother, but in general the point of a shower, in my opinion, is to welcome a new baby into the world with gifts and love.

Then why don't more people wait until AFTER the baby is born to have a shower to give the new baby gifts? Sure, most of the gifts given at a shower are for the mother to use for the baby. But I certainly don't think gifts should be expected. If your sole purpose of wanting to have a shower thrown for you is to make sure you get things for the baby, then you are having it for all the wrong reasons. Common practice in my area with family and friends IS to shower the mom with gifts and love. Certainly people buy things for baby (clothes, toys, etc), but the mother also receives lots of things for herself (no, she does not register for these things): gift cards for mani/pedis and massages, books about mothering/parenting, new pillows, night gowns, etc.. I know this obviously isn't common everywhere, but I think it's a great idea! People will always be buying things for baby after he/she is born, but showering the mother right before she does one of the hardest things in her life is definitely something to consider! 
    Mr & Mrs 5/5/2012
    DH-28 Me-26
    Fur baby- Colt 
    Baby BOY due 9/24/2014

imageimageimage 

BabyFruit Ticker 

• Options

And I completely agree with you! 100%!

But it must be a location difference, because those types of gifts you listed for the mother are certainly not something you see around my area. I think it would be great for the mother to receive gifts, too. Of any baby shower I've gone to, I can't think of the mother getting a gift that was for her. I personally ask new mothers if there's something in particular they'd really like to receive, something they're REALLY hoping to get, which is always something for the baby.

• Options
    It's pretty rude to ask. If someone doesn't offer then you don't have one. That's the case with me

It's a BOY

• Options
    kareik01kareik01 member
    edited March 2014

And what if no one has stepped up because they already assume someone else has? So this poor girl doesn't deserve a shower because no one wanted to step on someone else's toes?

"I hope you get the beautiful shower you and baby deserve!"  Not a woman on this site deserves a baby shower.  Its a gift, not a right. 
    Our opinions on this differ, doesn't make either of us right or wrong...it's a matter of opinion

• Options

If you'd read my posts above you will see I say I am NOT telling her to tell someone to host a shower for her.

I guess I can't think of what to say anymore. Everyone seems to be taking what I'm trying to say the wrong way so I better just stop. I was simply giving the girl MY OPINIONS on whether it's right or not to give her thoughts on her baby shower.

Melemon, I guess don't listen to me or my awful advice. I'm lucky enough that I have people fighting already over who will host my shower. I wish I could give you a shower myself because I believe you deserve one just as much as I do, even if you don't have someone jumping the gun to do it.  

• Options

*eye roll* Yes I'm telling her she should cry and pout until she gets what she wants...good grief

Why do I even write MY OPINON on the majority of my posts when I get ridiculed for it every single time.

I live in Nebraska, our "norms" are different from most people, I understand that. Here, it isn't a question if someone is getting a bridal or baby shower, it's a given. Here, it isn't "who" is giving the shower, it's "when" is the shower. That's why I feel this girl isn't in the wrong asking who/if someone has anything planned, because where I'm from, someone is and would love her input since she has some.

• Options
    If no one has offered to throw you a baby shower, I bet someone is planning on surprising you with one.
  • Options

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    momthatliftsmomthatlifts member
    edited March 2014
    Double post

It's a BOY

• Options
    You can either ask or not, the choice is yours.  I, personally, would not ask if anyone was hosting one for me.  I don't believe that I am entitled to a shower.  If I get one, great.  If I don't get one, great.  Either way, I will make sure my baby has all that she needs for life.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    loulou182 said:
    If no one has offered to throw you a baby shower, I bet someone is planning on surprising you with one.
    Sad thing is, OP wants to plan her own shower so a surprise shower probably would not suffice.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I guess if someone wants to throw you a shower they will... you are not entitled just because you are pregnant! Showers take a lot of time and money from the hosts. No one has offered to throw me a shower yet and honestly I don't expect anyone too!

Married: 6/4/2005Start TTC early 2012 May 2013: PCOS Diagnosis August 2013: Uterine Septum Removal November 2013: 1st round clomid, ovidrel trigger December 2013: 2nd round clomid, ovidrel trigger, BFP!!! August 2014: Baby girl arrives! February 2016: Ready for #2 May 2016: starting again with clomid, ovidrel trigger June 2016:  BFP!!! EDD: 2/21/16

• Options
  • Options
    OP like many others have said - it is rude to host your own shower. I think it is also presumptuous to ask who is throwing one for you. I would suggest registering primarily as a list of things you'd like to buy for your baby, and if anyone asks you what you'd like you can either tell them something off the list or even tell them where you registered. If you end up not having a shower, it isn't the end of the world. Lots of people don't have one by choice.

imageimage

• Options
  • Options
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"