November 2014 Moms
Options

Midwifery

Is anyone else planning on having a Midwife instead of an OB?

If so, is your partner on board?

Mine doesn't believe in a Midwife and I don't know how to make him understand that they are professionals to!

We have made a compromise that we'll have a Midwife and a Hospital birth. Hoping I can change his mind to agree to a birthing centre instead! I've got a few months to work on him! Ha ha

Re: Midwifery

• Options
    I'll be using a midwife and having a home birth this time. Last time I went to the birth center.
    Have your hubby come with you to all your appointments, having him participate fully is the best way to help him see it from your side. Hopefully your midwife can help answer some if his questions and concerns.
    Best of luck!
    Elkanah Brave, born 02/06/2012 7:26am
  • Options
    Midwifery is awesome! I used a Nurse Midwife (CNM) for a hospital birth with DD. I would have thought my midwife was a doctor if I didn't already know she was a midwife. She seemed to do mostly the same things a OBGYN would have done in an unmedicated birth, well, according to what I've seen and heard. My midwife even wears a lab coat.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

Lilypie Maternity tickers 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers  

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    November 2014 Siggy Challenge: Green/ Irish Things
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Midwives are wonderful and using a cnm in a hospital wont be all that much different than an ob (except more natural/less interventions in some cases) This will be our 3rd homebirth. (With a cpm) if everything stays low risk and I plan on going back to school to be a Cnn when all of my kids are in school.
    ~Christina S~ EST: 9/27/08        *May 2015 Jan. Signature Challenge-
                                                     You had one job- Parents magazine

BFP-3/17/14 --M/C 4/25/14

• Options
    @nonoemily‌ @KatieKarasin‌ @CTri17‌ @too_excited_to_sleep‌
    Thank you ladies.
    My Man should be coming to my apts with me if he isn't out of town working, I hope they can help ease his doubts for sure.
    I really want a water birth, I take baths every day and they soothe me, so i think this would be beneficial for me and baby!
    I love the natural and no intervention side of Midwifery care. If any of you haven't see The Business of Being Born, I recommend it. It's all about midwifery and natural childbirth. A very good watch.
  • Options
    @Miss Holiday‌ where do you live? Many hospital wont allow you to deliver in the tub but you can labor in the tub and it will definitely help

• Options
    @CTri17‌ I'm in Edmonton, Alberta. Our Hospitals no longer do water births anymore, however, The midwifery centre I have applied to has a birthing centre equiped with birthing tubs in their rooms. It costs about $525 for your stay but it sounds more appealing to me then a hospital.
  • Options
    I didn't give birth in the tub, but I spent a lot of time in it and I can't imagine laboring without one. Every time I got in my contractions slowed down and I was able to rest, but it made my labor really slow. If Id had my heart set on giving birth in water I would have been there all week!

When I first toured my house, I walked into the upstairs bathroom, saw the huge bath tub and thought, "Home birth!" It's part of the reason I bought my house. :)
  • Options
    sparklefarklesparklefarkle member
    edited March 2014
    We are using a midwife at a birth center this time. My DH isn't on board with a home birth (yet...) so we compromised. I had hospital births with my first two and was pretty disappointed both times. It just felt wrong for me personally.
  • Options
    You ladies have been so helpful
  • Options
    I would def pay that! I cant say enough good things about midwives (not medwives that lean more towards obstetric minds) my dh loves our mw

• Options
    I'm using a Midwife Center and haven't yet decided on hospital or center birth.

MH has always been on board with me having whatever birth I wanted. It's my body and my birth, he respects that.

Perhaps give your partner a few books on the topic. Ina May Gaskin's are the gold standard.
  • Options
    I have had a midwife for all three births. I would only go with an on if I was high risk because that is what they arr trained in. I'd tell your husband to do some research before shutting down your ideas.
    Mom to Carter, Kendall, Kiersten and Baby O #4

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    He doesn't "believe" in midwives? They aren't unicorns lol. They are trained medical professionals. 
    They rock!

We used one last time. DH was open to anything. Although when we went to the first appointment and were in the waiting room another came out. "Wow other people do this too?" lol. But after the first appointment he was sold. its waaay better than a doctor. I find it way more personal. They really limit the number of patients and you get as much time as you want with them. 

We are using one this time and I am very vocal about recommending them to my friends and family.
    Audrey is going to be a big sister!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you
  • Options
    We used a midwife last time and will use one this time. The clinic I go to has midwives as one of their services and they deliver in the same hospital as an ob-gyn. My husband was fine with it, but I also just told him we weere doing it, too.

You don't spend much time during labor with the actual doctor, your nurse is your main point of contact. Most people in my area justgo with the obgyn so their attention is stretched if there are multiple deliveries and complications. The midwives where I delivered have more time to spend with you and the nurse because their patient load is lighter. Plus, the rotation of who will be delivering your baby is one of like 6 people so I will have met them all before labor. I have had friends deliver who had not met their doctor before labor. In terms of whether they are less likelyto intervene i can't say. She let me decide what I wanted to do and didnt want to do, and supported that decision.

Just because they aren't an obgyn doesn't mean that they aren't highly educated and experienced in childbirth and prenatal care. And just because you see a midwife, it doesn't mean you are going to be doing a home birth, water birth, and depending on where the midwife operates out of, you may not even have to do a drug free birth.

But obgyn's aren't evil, either, by a long shot. I do agree with previous posts, and perhaps try to use midwives that operate out of a hospital as a way to compromise if he is willing. I dont know that he would know the difference between a midwife and an obgyn. My husband sure couldnt tell.
  • Options
    aedinaedin member
    Quite a few OB offices down where I am actually have midwifes on staff that can deliver without a doctor under the office license.  It's getting to be a very normal thing (although my OB only delivers in hospital, even if a midwife)
    # 3 due 11/19/14.

DD 2010 and DS 2012
  • Options
    lisarenlisaren member
    edited March 2014
    I used a MW with last pregnancy after using an obgyn and for me it's the only way I would do it again, of course without complications. They're amazing!!! Such a huge advocate for you and baby and daddy!!

• Options
    I actually have an information session for the midwifery centre in town. It's not a guarantee that we will be followed by one since they are in high demand so I'm crossing my fingers. I have an OB for now but if I get the call I will switch for the midwife! I want to deliver at the centre, possibly in the tub. My husband is fully in board, all his siblings but one were home births, so he's seen midwives in action. He actually wants to deliver the baby because he's a trained military medical technician and has done it before... But that's where I draw the line! This is my first, he's needs to chill! Lol
  • Options
    My husbands mom labored very fast and by her third the midwife didn't make it in time. FIL delivered the her himself, so my husband had visions of delivering one of our children some day.

Umm, DH, that was an emergency situation. Lets not shoot for a repeat. Thanks.
  • Options
    This is one of the things I really like about Iceland... midwives are the standard, OB's usually only handle complications. With my first I went into the midwives ward of the hospital, planning on going all natural and giving birth in the tub. But after two hours of pushing, that clearly wasn't working so I was rolled into the adjoining ward and an OB helped turn his head and pull him out.

This time around I will be heading to the midwife ward again and hopefully staying there the whole time :)

BabyFetus TickerBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    ARZamora1111ARZamora1111 member
    edited March 2014
    @nonoemily‌ @KatieKarasin‌ @CTri17‌ @too_excited_to_sleep‌ Thank you ladies. My Man should be coming to my apts with me if he isn't out of town working, I hope they can help ease his doubts for sure. I really want a water birth, I take baths every day and they soothe me, so i think this would be beneficial for me and baby! I love the natural and no intervention side of Midwifery care. If any of you haven't see The Business of Being Born, I recommend it. It's all about midwifery and natural childbirth. A very good watch.

Didn't catch if this was your first pregnancy, but be prepared on the water birthing...I wanted this also for my first as it seemed so much more natural for the baby to go from water to water. However, the 2 hours I spent pushing in the birthing pool I wasn't pushing right. Once I moved to the bed I realized I was pushing way wrong. Also, depending on the birthing pool they provide, there isn't much traction or good handles to get a good grip. I'm planning on having this one most likely in the bed, but laboring in the tub/shower.

On the subject of midwife vs OB? no contest for me, midwife all the way. Though I value DH's opinion and concerns, if he objected to a midwife mainly out of ignorance, he would lose that battle. In my opinion, it's ultimately YOUR decision being as you are the one carrying and pushing out baby. You need to be in an environment that makes you happy, comfortable and healthy.

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @ARZamora1111‌ this is baby number one.
    I like the idea of labouring in water and then delivering on/in bed.
    Can you labour in the water in most hospitals? I am very new to all of this.
  • Options
    Good to know. It's so helpful having all you ladies to talk to!
  • Options
    I used one in my last pregnancy with a hospital birth and this time I would like to do either birth center or home birth with a midwife. Although it is possible to have a natural birth in the hospital I think it is easier to have the birth you want outside of the hospital. My husband is on board but my arm milky pressured me into doing a hospital birth last time and I won't be swayed again
  • Options
    Family not arm milk.. Lol.. Autocorrect
  • Options
    "arm milky" lol   ^:)^

BabyFetus TickerBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @Miss Holiday‌ I am in Spruce Grove and will be delivering at the Lucina. (The birth center in Edmonton) This is my first. My DH has been on board from the very second I told him I wanted to birth there.

I think the key would be to get him to go to your appointments and have him ask any questions he may have.
  • Options
    This will be my third pregnancy with a midwife, and I wouldn't do it any other way.  
  • Options
    @CaneQueen‌ I stared at that for a minute trying to figure out what that was!
  • Options
    Thank you for asking all these great questions. I'm new at this too and just found out the women's health center I'm going to gives you the option of OB or midwife (which surprised me in my small town). There are a lot of things I'm learning as I go and having such great sources of communication with other ladies who have been through this or who are in similar situations is very reassuring to me.
  • Options
    I labored in the shower and delivered in bed. I wish I delivered on the toilet where I did most of my pushing! It is so much easier to push sitting up than lying down! 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

Lilypie Maternity tickers 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers  

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    November 2014 Siggy Challenge: Green/ Irish Things
  • Options
    @Kristillarson‌ I have applied to the Lucina Centre! Waiting to hear back about if they have a spot for me!
    I am hoping to have my midwife from there!
  • Options
    I labored in the shower and delivered in bed. I wish I delivered on the toilet where I did most of my pushing! It is so much easier to push sitting up than lying down! 

OMG!  My second delivery with my midwife I literally sat on the toilet for almost two hours during contractions, and pooped!!!  But let me tell ya', it was the most relieving feeling in the WORLD to labor on the pot.  My midwife said, "Good!  Get that shit OUT!". 
  • Options
    nonoemily said:

My husbands mom labored very fast and by her third the midwife didn't make it in time. FIL delivered the her himself, so my husband had visions of delivering one of our children some day.

Umm, DH, that was an emergency situation. Lets not shoot for a repeat. Thanks.

This happened for our second baby. Thank God we were planning a home birth!
    Mom to Carter, Kendall, Kiersten and Baby O #4

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Just found out that Military insurance should cover a midwife...so I"m trying to figure out all the linguistics and if I'll be able to find an accredited one in time. I would love to have one and my husband is on board, but we're moving to a different state in July and switching from my work insurance to Military so it's all just one big mess. I'm crossing my fingers right now and hoping for a miracle. This will be our first, but I've had several family members say Midwives are the way to go. My cousin-in-law gave birth to her second son in a pool at a birthing center. She said it was so much easier than the first son in the hospital. She also loved being able to head straight home and actually relax instead of staying in a hospital were you get no rest and have people bugging you constantly. I don't think I'll get out of the hospital stay on our first baby, but I definitely want to look into it for the future.
  • Options
    I had a midwife for my first and will for this pregnancy also. I wanted a water birth but had high blood pressure during pregnancy and was put on bed rest so water birth wasn't an option. An OB told me they would induce me by 37 weeks because of the hypertension so I switched to midwives. They let me go to 41 weeks before being naturally induced. They let me labor in the tub but not birth which was fine. I ended up having a natural birth and it was perfect. I don't want to imagine how birth would have gone being induced at 37 weeks with an OB.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"