April 2014 Moms

Stupid Questions Thread

Re: Stupid Questions Thread

• Leeroy80 said:

How many Velcro swaddlers do people suggest having? I have 4 that fit between 7-14pounds. Debating returning one package. (They come 2 to a package).

Why don't you just keep one set in the package and see if your LO likes them? My DD hated them (although I think she's an odd duck since most kiddos like them!).
    DD 2/21/2012 & DS 4/1/2014
  • mamrotu73 said:

Vjlewis07 said:

This may be silly, but I've been researching vaccines.. If I have had the Tdap does baby still need to receive the Dtap !? My Dr told me that the Tdap was supposed to benefit baby and pass along those anti bodies ..so wouldn't that mean baby wouldn't need Dtap ?

It just passes on enough to help protect the baby until they're old enough to receive their own vaccine. Pertussis is very dangerous for them and they can't get their own vaccine early enough to protect when they're most vulnerable.

Think of it a bit like vaccines that come in a series: you get it now, and that is baby getting the first in the series. And then they get another when they are old enough.

The maternal antibodies and protection go away with time and the infants immune system needs the vaccine to trigger an immune response and give them their own protection.

With a series the first vaccine gets you a small immune response and then the next booster you get a stronger immune response that stays higher for longer.

Im basing this off dog vaccines but I imagine it's a similar idea just different vaccines.

Not sure why your tetanus vaccine is good for 10 years and the dogs distemper only for three... Probably more information/ studies are available for people...

• Loading the player...
  • DD hated any form of swaddling. Even in the womb she would try to straighten out. A lot of babies come out all curled up the classic "fetal position", DD looked like a stretched out frog, straight arms and legs, she was even sticking out her tongue. This baby never tries to "straighten out" so I wonder if she'll like swaddling? I think we'll just skip swaddling again, not worth the hassle.
  • Leeroy80 said:

How many Velcro swaddlers do people suggest having? I have 4 that fit between 7-14pounds. Debating returning one package. (They come 2 to a package).

I think I had 3-4 for my son. He needed it to sleep more than 30 minutes at a time. If you're going to wash baby clothes ahead of time, I'd open 1 set and keep the other set on the shelf. Because Murphy's law says you will need a 3rd clean swaddle at 3 am after a massive poo explosion.

Like many baby things, they're used intensely for a few weeks, then you don't need it (usually). "The Happiest Baby on the Block" has great tips on how/when to swaddle newborns. I strongly recommend it (book or DVD).
  • "Baby 411", "Happiest baby on the block" or skip the books all together and gather free info online...thoughts?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have heard a lot of good things about 411 but to get a paper copy. I'll be ordering that today actually! I like having something to reference as backup or if internet searches are just too varied...
  • Baby 411 is THE BEST! And definitely buy a hard copy.

Happiest Baby on the Block is great, too but I'd skip the book and watch the DVD. You can Netflix it.
  • "Baby 411", "Happiest baby on the block" or skip the books all together and gather free info online...thoughts?

My library has an enormous parenting section, so I read these books for free. The only book I bought was the Dr Sears Baby Book so that I could reference the medical info when I needed it - it's a good book for identifying common illnesses and figuring out when to call the doctor.

• Does anyone like "What to expect in the first year?" I bought that one and I really like it so far. I went to the store to get Baby 411 but liked the looks of this one better.

I definitely want to look into the Dr Sears Baby Book now @ricekez, because I feel like I will never know what's going on with my baby
    Why do my boobs look so good?image
    Then I peed on a stick...image
  • How do you decide on responsibilities between you and SO for when baby comes if you are trying to EBF? It doesn't make sense to me for us both to be up at every feeding just so I don't have to get up to change diapers. I know once I start pumping it will be easier, it is just those first couple of weeks I can't figure out. Especially when he goes back to work. Have you all already discussed this with your SOs?

CafeMom Tickers

• Back to the vaccine question: I read recently that measles has broken out in NYC. My brother lives there and will be coming with my parents to stay with us for a week after LO is here. All the research I've done says he had the vaccine but it isn't guaranteed to be effective his entire life. But there is no mention of getting another one as an adult.

Should I ask him to get another one or am I overreacting? (I feel like I'm probably overreacting.)
  • As far as books go I love Baby 411. Definitely worth it to me to have reliable info all in one place instead of scouring the Internet. I have the What to Expect the first year book but am not a fan If any of the books in that series because the writing annoys me. I might use it as reference when things come up though. We also have the happiest baby on the block dvd but haven't watched it yet and the Art of Breast Feeding la leche league book.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • cgoldian said:
    How do you decide on responsibilities between you and SO for when baby comes if you are trying to EBF? It doesn't make sense to me for us both to be up at every feeding just so I don't have to get up to change diapers. I know once I start pumping it will be easier, it is just those first couple of weeks I can't figure out. Especially when he goes back to work. Have you all already discussed this with your SOs?
    We never really discussed it I guess. When I was EBF DH actually wasn't working and I was on 4 months of maternity/holiday leave (yes it was lovely). Sometimes he would wake up from hearing her and wake me to feed her or change her himself, but otherwise I would never wake him up. Once I returned to work, he would give her a bottle occasionally, but mostly I would still bf as we wanted her to have bm when I was able to give it to her. He did help when he could by watching her so I could nap during the afternoons though when he was home.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Husband and I have talked about middle of the night baby duties and we're planning on having me nurse the baby (obviously) and on him putting it back down to sleep if baby is fussy. That way I can hopefully get at least one hour straight of sleep at a time for those first few weeks.

Husband works from home, with me, so he doesn't have the "going back to work" excuse. :) 

Oh, and I bought Baby 411 based on all the recs and don't really like it all that much. I'm going to read Happiest Baby on the Block next and see how that one goes. 
  • Nighttime Responsibilities: For the first 2 weeks home (we were in the NICU for a week), we were still working on getting DD's weight back up and keeping her billi levels in check, so we had to wake her every 3 hours to eat...which involved me BFing her for 20 min, then feeding her a bottle of pumped milk, then formula if there wasn't enough pumped milk (took 2 full weeks for my milk to come in). I would do the BFing (duh) and DH would do the bottles while I pumped. Once we got to go ahead to stop supplementing at 3 weeks, I pretty much did everything at night myself (no more bottles - just BFing) as it just didn't make a ton of sense to for both of us to be awake (DH had gone back to work at this point). I will say, while DD ate A TON at night, she was always easy to put back to sleep so maybe I would have asked for more nighttime help had she been fussier.

DH also works late from home so he would try and take the first night feeding after I went to sleep...this only worked about 30% of the time as DD soon grew to absolutely hate bottles.

I found that doing all the nighttime work myself left me in an EXCELLENT position to hand her off during the witching hour ;)
  • I'm in the why wake DH when I'm awake anyway camp... If I'm having a hard time getting baby back to sleep or something then I ask him to step in but mostly I try to leave him be. Now that we have older kids though he's generally just responsible for them if they wake up.

Married 3.14.09
    DS born 8.20.10
    MC 7.11.11
    DD born 5.24.12
    #3 EDD 4.02.14
  • cgoldian said:
    How do you decide on responsibilities between you and SO for when baby comes if you are trying to EBF? It doesn't make sense to me for us both to be up at every feeding just so I don't have to get up to change diapers. I know once I start pumping it will be easier, it is just those first couple of weeks I can't figure out. Especially when he goes back to work. Have you all already discussed this with your SOs?
    I'm not a pumper, just never really liked it, so the feedings and changing are all on me. When I was formula feeding we had a set schedule that worked out perfectly, but breastfeeding was way different.
    I think Happiest Baby is worth a quick read, or at least watch some youtube videos of the calming techniques (5 S's)
    BFP#1 9/14/10 (EDD 5/21/11); no fetal pole 6w6d, 7w4d, d&c 10/8
    BFP#2 3/16/11, beta 138; 4/12 Baby/HB DS born 9/10/11 at 29w4d due to partial abruption and PTL
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    BFP#3 8/19/13 Another boy! 17P, modified bedrest and Nifedipine helped us have a termie! DS2 born 4/19/14 at 38w5d.
  • kcp913 said:
    If anyone knows:  Does your body automatically change the consistency, etc. of your breastmilk if you end up EP?  Or is that why you should try to nurse at least once a day, so your body is aware that it needs to change the makeup of the milk you're producing to meet LO's needs?
    I think your milk just changes based on when you delivered (preemie mom milk is higher in fat) and how long you've been producing. So even if you're EPing it will change to meet baby's needs. It's actually very hard to keep your supply up while EPing and if baby will latch it's much more efficient to BF. Nursing a few times a day helps produce all the bonding hormones which drive milk supply and the baby is much better at emptying the breast than a pump. An empty breast makes more milk. So yeah, lots of reasons not to exclusively pump unless there are significant mom/baby issues getting in the way.
    BFP#1 9/14/10 (EDD 5/21/11); no fetal pole 6w6d, 7w4d, d&c 10/8
    BFP#2 3/16/11, beta 138; 4/12 Baby/HB DS born 9/10/11 at 29w4d due to partial abruption and PTL
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    BFP#3 8/19/13 Another boy! 17P, modified bedrest and Nifedipine helped us have a termie! DS2 born 4/19/14 at 38w5d.
  • Got some baby q-tips at my shower? Useful? Worth putting out on the changing table? What are they even for?
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Melody*W* said:

ksulli said:

My hospital book says not to wear nail polish in the event they have to

Heidiman said:

Got some baby q-tips at my shower? Useful? Worth putting out on the changing table? What are they even for?

For cleaning baby's ears...

• Heidiman said:

Got some baby q-tips at my shower? Useful? Worth putting out on the changing table? What are they even for?

They are for cleaning ears, just like regular q-tips, lol. But it's better than using a regular q-tip so you don't go too deep into their little ears. Babies make ear wax just like us. We didn't/don't clean DS's ears super regularly, just when we can see they need it.

I don't like putting qtips in my ears so I didn't think my LO would like it! Haha! I should have added that. I do it extremely rarely which it sounds like you do for your kids. That may have to be my hubby's job. He loves to clean his ears.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• When it comes to swaddling. Why would I want to use a special swaddling blanket vs just using a receiving blanket? Could a receiving blanket come undone while they sleep?

By "special," do you mean like the kind with Velcro? Some babies are Houdinis and bust out of the non-Velcro variety.

And, some receiving blankets aren't really large enough to hold a swaddle properly as babies get bigger.
  • Also, on the q-tips... DD had a ton of wax as an infant, but we were told not to clean DD's ears out AT ALL. With anything.
  • has anyone's heartburn gotten worse with BH?? I just had what I think is my first few (never noticed BH before, but think I'm noticing them now), and I feel like I get a squirt of acid with each one!!!
    Angel baby June 2013, DD born 22 April 2014, BFP 10 Sept 2015 - Due 22 May 2016
  • avidkeo said:

has anyone's heartburn gotten worse with BH?? I just had what I think is my first few (never noticed BH before, but think I'm noticing them now), and I feel like I get a squirt of acid with each one!!!

Ugh. Yes. It's terrible.
  • has anyone's heartburn gotten worse with BH?? I just had what I think is my first few (never noticed BH before, but think I'm noticing them now), and I feel like I get a squirt of acid with each one!!!
    Ugh. Yes. It's terrible.
    Heartburn truly sux! 
  • @AcaAwkward‌ I did mean the ones with velcro. I got one as a gift but it doesn't list a size and it seems big. I have a bunch of cute receiving blankets so I wasn't sure if I should buy any more swaddlers with velcro. I guess it couldn't hurt to see how LO likes being swaddled and get some later if he does.

I learned how to swaddle with a regular baby blanket but DH couldn't figure it out. I still had trouble getting it tight enough that DS couldn't instantly escape. And when you're sleep deprived things that are easier win.
    About the sizing, at first they will have lots of room around the legs, but they'll grow into it. The aim of a good swaddle is to hold the arms still, so it only needs to be snug around the chest.

I think you have a great idea to wait to see if your LO likes being swaddled. Depending on your budget you could buy a couple and leave them in the package.
  • Also, on the q-tips... DD had a ton of wax as an infant, but we were told not to clean DD's ears out AT ALL. With anything.

I started reading up in it and only the qtip manufacturers say to use it in ears. Everything else says let the doctor remove wax as needed. I'm sure there will be other things to use them for.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• avidkeoavidkeo member
    edited March 2014
    JoelleOK said:
    @AcaAwkward‌ I did mean the ones with velcro. I got one as a gift but it doesn't list a size and it seems big. I have a bunch of cute receiving blankets so I wasn't sure if I should buy any more swaddlers with velcro. I guess it couldn't hurt to see how LO likes being swaddled and get some later if he does.
    I learned how to swaddle with a regular baby blanket but DH couldn't figure it out. I still had trouble getting it tight enough that DS couldn't instantly escape. And when you're sleep deprived things that are easier win. About the sizing, at first they will have lots of room around the legs, but they'll grow into it. The aim of a good swaddle is to hold the arms still, so it only needs to be snug around the chest. I think you have a great idea to wait to see if your LO likes being swaddled. Depending on your budget you could buy a couple and leave them in the package.
    You should never swaddle in a way that restricts baby's legs. That can increase the chance of hip dysplasia. Granted its a very low risk, but its a risk.

ETA sorry that came out of no where... didn't mean to scaremonger! Just something to be aware of more than anything!

This. We just let the wax ball up and gently swiped it out with a finger when it was near the ear's entrance. Nothing else is needed.

The only place my son has had a q-tip inserted (coated in Vaseline) was his bum when he was constipated.
    :\"> :-S
    BabyFruit Ticker

• The baby q-tips don't go in farther than my pinky would, and I prefer the softness of it to my rough nail possibly scratching his ear.

Good point.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• embear22 said:

How can you tell if a baby has reflux ? Are there signs?

I'm guessing, but I think it's the screaming that tips you off
    ;)
  • embear22 said:

How can you tell if a baby has reflux ? Are there signs?

DD projectile spit up after almost every feeding.
  • J&NLJ&NL member
    For those of you that pumped and EBF successfully, when did you pump? I've heard pump one side while baby is eating on the other side and I've heard pump after LO eats. I was never really successful with pumping with DD.
    photo ee249d6c-880a-4eb4-bc43-d6ab1f9fe662.jpg
  • Do any of you have experience with a posterior baby? I was told LO was posterior or sunny side up at 31 weeks. Based on where I feel kicks I think he is still in the same position and that he turns on his side but I rarely feel like he is in the correct position. I forgot to ask at my last appointment and I just don't know if I should even be worried about this. I am 37 weeks now. I have been doing alot of reading online but would like a first hand account if anyone had dealt with this.

I was born sunny side up. My mom said she had a little more pain than when she had my brother bc I dragged on her back, but she also did it med-free so she felt more anyways.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"