April 2014 Moms

Stupid Questions Thread

Re: Stupid Questions Thread

• My DH brought up a good point that made me wonder earlier: does what I eat flavor my breast milk?  I know that what I eat can affect LO and cause cramps or gas and things like that, but I never really thought about milk flavor, lol.
    At my breastfeeding class, the nurse said that you do not need to change your diet, especially if you have been eating a variety of foods while pregnant (i.e. you don't need to cut spicy food, if you have been eating it the whole time). She said that if baby has gotten used to a wide variety of food while pregnant, then s/he will expect the same while breastfeeding. In addition, she mentioned that a good variety while breastfeeding may make your kiddo less picky when you start solid foods. Not saying it's the "right answer," just sharing what we were told in "class!"

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• embear22 said:

Should I wash the car seat cover before we start using it?

There's no need to wash it beforehand but always check your manual before washing. Some need to be hand washed or washed specifically. Just make sure you follow manufacture instructions because not following can alter the safety of the seat.

Married 3.14.09
    DS born 8.20.10
    MC 7.11.11
    DD born 5.24.12
    #3 EDD 4.02.14
  • Loading the player...
  • embear22 said:

Should I wash the car seat cover before we start using it?

There's no need to wash it beforehand but always check your manual before washing. Some need to be hand washed or washed specifically. Just make sure you follow manufacture instructions because not following can alter the safety of the seat.

Married 3.14.09
    DS born 8.20.10
    MC 7.11.11
    DD born 5.24.12
    #3 EDD 4.02.14
  • patunia7321patunia7321 member
    edited March 2014
    Edit: Going to ask in a new thread- amazon mom prime q-

imageimage
  • Ok this is a very stupid question. I know that being dilated at this point means nothing. But how about if you are still "locked up tight?" Is there still a chance I an go into labor before my due date? I have an induction scheduled for 40+1 and am hoping I don't make it that far
    June Siggy Challenge

imageMy little Princess
    BFP#2 7/28/13 EDD 4/9/14 Birthday : 4/10/14 Adalyn Nanette :)
    BFP#1 6/29/12 LTMC 10/20/12 (20 weeks) induced delivery 10/22/12
    Pregnancy Ticker

• snmetz7 said:

Ok this is a very stupid question. I know that being dilated at this point means nothing. But how about if you are still "locked up tight?" Is there still a chance I an go into labor before my due date? I have an induction scheduled for 40+1 and am hoping I don't make it that far

There's still a chance you could go into labor before your EDD. Whether you're closed and firm or 2 and 50 you could go into labor before your EDD or after your EDD.

Married 3.14.09
    DS born 8.20.10
    MC 7.11.11
    DD born 5.24.12
    #3 EDD 4.02.14
  • JNova78 said:

My DH brought up a good point that made me wonder earlier: does what I eat flavor my breast milk?  I know that what I eat can affect LO and cause cramps or gas and things like that, but I never really thought about milk flavor, lol.

At my breastfeeding class, the nurse said that you do not need to change your diet, especially if you have been eating a variety of foods while pregnant (i.e. you don't need to cut spicy food, if you have been eating it the whole time). She said that if baby has gotten used to a wide variety of food while pregnant, then s/he will expect the same while breastfeeding. In addition, she mentioned that a good variety while breastfeeding may make your kiddo less picky when you start solid foods.

Not saying it's the "right answer," just sharing what we were told in "class!"
    Yup yup! I didn't change my diet one bit for BF (I don't drink much caffeine to start with) and since he was a baby my kid has enjoyed spicy food. I mean I don't feed him chili peppers or anything, but definitely things with a bit of kick to them. There is a theory that BF babies are less picky when starting solids because they have already been exposed to a variety of flavours, as opposed to FF babies.

I don't remember where but I am pretty sure I remember hearing that the thing with certain foods like broccoli etc causing gas in babies is a myth (or at least very overstated) as well.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 
    VOTE on my Name List
  • P&B715 said:
    Anyone have any experience with a SIDS monitor?
    I know many, many moms who used the snuzza or the angel care monitor and pad and swear by it. I figured it would make me too paranoid so I got a video monitor so I can always see baby.  I know a lot of them said that they got false alarms from their monitors often and had to turn the sensitivity way down.  Make sure the room is well ventilated (ceiling fan is great for this) and keep the temp cool and comfortable.

I highly recommend a video monitor over only the sound monitor that comes with the angel care because you can tell what baby is doing when they're fussing.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Girl: 2014/4/25  K: Born 2012/02/20
    BFP 12/31/2010; missed m/c @ 6w1d, medical m/c(Misoprostol)@ 13w2d.    My Blog

• snmetz7 said:
    Ok this is a very stupid question. I know that being dilated at this point means nothing. But how about if you are still "locked up tight?" Is there still a chance I an go into labor before my due date? I have an induction scheduled for 40+1 and am hoping I don't make it that far
    It doesn't mean anything.  FTM are usually locked up tight until the labor process starts.  Why is your induction scheduled so early?  Statistically FTM go over their due date in most cases so I wouldn't think that they would induce you until 41 wks at least.  If you want to avoid an induction, consider letting your OB or midwife do a membrane sweep starting around 37-38 wks which can help labor get started.  These aren't super fun though.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Has anyone used a 31 bag as a diaper bag? I was looking at a friend's party catalog and I feel like it would work because I have an extra changing pad, but wasn't sure if it's preferable to have a bag that is waterproof or wipe-able on the inside. Any thoughts or recommendations on where to look for decent diaper bags welcome!
    Why do my boobs look so good?image
    Then I peed on a stick...image
  • snmetz7 said:
    It doesn't matter. I was told the very day before I went into labor that I wasn't dilated or effaced and I'd likely go past my due date. Anything can happen.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • @snowclouds high blood pressure issues. 40+1 was the furthest they would compromise with me. And while I am a first time mom, I have delivered a baby before so I am hoping that my body get into gear and have this baby like a pro before then.
    June Siggy Challenge

imageMy little Princess
    Pregnancy Ticker

• I didn't have an epi so I just went in the bathroom. I peed so much before pushing that by time I was pushing there was nothing left.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
                                ~Missed MC at 8 weeks. D&C at 12 weeks on 4/17/13~ 
       Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • thomas930 said:
    I didn't have an epi so I just went in the bathroom. I peed so much before pushing that by time I was pushing there was nothing left.
    and if you have an epi, they give you a catheter so again no peeing on the baby
    June Siggy Challenge

imageMy little Princess
    Pregnancy Ticker

• snmetz7 said:

It doesn't matter. I was told the very day before I went into labor that I wasn't dilated or effaced and I'd likely go past my due date. Anything can happen.

My SIL had a doctor appt in the morning and wasn't dilated at all. She went into labor that evening and had LO the next morning.
  • @sking72‌ I peed constantly. I thought my water had broken, but as it turns out I was just peeing on myself, all night. At the hospital for the ECS, the only good thing/enjoyable part was the catheter. I never poo'd in labour, there was nothing left after the mass diarrhea I had that morning. And I was trying to poo since it felt like I had to or die trying, since DD was sunny side up and causing an extreme rectal pressure.
  • @sking72‌ I didn't have an epi. I feel like all I did was walk back & forth from the bathroom to pee. I am sure bladder was empty by the time I was pushing.

Baby Boy #2 is on the way!

BabyFetus Ticker
  • rockstarlawrockstarlaw member
    edited March 2014
    I've heard the catheter is painful (particularly removal of it?). Fact or fiction?

ETA: acknowledging that all pain is relative, but I'm curious about some of your personal experiences
  • I've heard the catheter is painful (particularly removal of it?). Fact or fiction? ETA: acknowledging that all pain is relative, but I'm curious about some of your personal experiences
    I was completely numb when they put it in, so didn't feel it at all. removal was not until I could stand again and the drugs had worn off, most of it just felt awkward, it was just the last little bit of tube that had a pinch of pain and then it was over. NBD
    June Siggy Challenge

imageMy little Princess
    Pregnancy Ticker

• I'm not getting an epi but that's what made me ask the question, because I knew you got a catheter with that, and was curious how much you're peeing during the whole process!
  • The only time I've had a catheter was when I had a bad kidney infection. That bitch hurt! But I bet if you have an Epi you won't feel it.

April 2014 May Siggy Challenge: Funny Animals- Kangaroo Mating Ritual

• My catheter after my CS was uncomfy to remove but NBD. I'd already had my spinal when they put it in so I didn't feel anything. I really hate having a catheter in though -- even though it doesn't hurt, it just feels weird.

No
    sking72 said:

Has anyone used a 31 bag as a diaper bag? I was looking at a friend's party catalog and I feel like it would work because I have an extra changing pad, but wasn't sure if it's preferable to have a bag that is waterproof or wipe-able on the inside. Any thoughts or recommendations on where to look for decent diaper bags welcome!

no experience with 31 bags, but my diaper bag is just a canvas tote with interior pockets (Land's End). If something spilled, I just wiped it out with warm water and let it dry overnight. Wasn't a big deal to me that it wasn't plastic inside.
    DD 2/21/2012 & DS 4/1/2014
  • @rockstarlaw regarding catheters- that hurt more than the epi. I kept saying, "ouch" and the nurse was like, "wtf, you're in labor and THIS hurts?" But it burned.
    *Married 10.10.08*
    TTC #1 9.09 - BFP#1:2.18.10= missed m/c, D&C 4.16
    BFP#2:10.22.10=Avelin born 7.2.11
    TTC#2: 2.13 - BFP#3: 7.25.13=Kelsey born 3.31.14
  • I thought the catheter was a tickle compared to contractions.
  • Didn't feel the catheter and don't remember it coming out or hurting at all.
  • Stupid questions...

The heartburn goes away right? Because between waking up to pee and waking up because my stomach is in fire are making for very short periods of sleep if I fall back asleep at all...

Also with goats ( lol I know I'm not a goat) you don't want to give extra calcium at the end of pregnancy because it tells the body to just store it, and then when their milk comes in there's not enough calcium in the blood and it takes time for the calcium to be released from storage and the goat gets milk fever. Basically there isn't enough calcium for their muscles to contract and they are shaky, or can't stand, can have heart issues.

Can milk fever happen in people because I've been taking way too many tums....
  • I had a urinary cath once and it hurt going in. Not a lot though and just for a second.
  • Stupid questions... The heartburn goes away right? Because between waking up to pee and waking up because my stomach is in fire are making for very short periods of sleep if I fall back asleep at all... Also with goats ( lol I know I'm not a goat) you don't want to give extra calcium at the end of pregnancy because it tells the body to just store it, and then when their milk comes in there's not enough calcium in the blood and it takes time for the calcium to be released from storage and the goat gets milk fever. Basically there isn't enough calcium for their muscles to contract and they are shaky, or can't stand, can have heart issues. Can milk fever happen in people because I've been taking way too many tums....
    Bump crush for talking about milk fever. Dr. Google seems to say no milk fever in humans, I wonder why?
  • When you have a c-section do they cut and do everything mach speed between contractions? This popped into my head the other day and my brain keeps going "well what if there's a contraction as they're cutting?" and then imagining a scalpel slip. Since you don't generally hear about horribly disfiguring c-sections I figure there must be a solution to this.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I had an epi and felt my cathether going in because my nurse was really bad at inserting them.  It took her over 20 minutes...at one point she laughs and goes, "Good thing you can't feel anything!"  I was like haha, I feel all of that digging around.  I didn't even notice when they took it out.

C-sections take about 30 minutes.  Taking the baby out is pretty fast, but it takes a while to suction out the uterus and then put everything back and sow it all up again.  I'm assuming that the epi or spinal freezes the uterus so that it's not moving with contractions, but I'm not sure.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• sking72 said:

Stupid questions...

The heartburn goes away right? Because between waking up to pee and waking up because my stomach is in fire are making for very short periods of sleep if I fall back asleep at all...

Also with goats ( lol I know I'm not a goat) you don't want to give extra calcium at the end of pregnancy because it tells the body to just store it, and then when their milk comes in there's not enough calcium in the blood and it takes time for the calcium to be released from storage and the goat gets milk fever. Basically there isn't enough calcium for their muscles to contract and they are shaky, or can't stand, can have heart issues.

Bump crush for talking about milk fever. Dr. Google seems to say no milk fever in humans, I wonder why?
    </

Maybe because cows and goats overproduce milk to begin with from breeding? So we as a species don't produce enough to cause an issue?

• When you have a c-section do they cut and do everything mach speed between contractions? This popped into my head the other day and my brain keeps going "well what if there's a contraction as they're cutting?" and then imagining a scalpel slip. Since you don't generally hear about horribly disfiguring c-sections I figure there must be a solution to this.

There's usually not an issue when cutting the uterus during a c-section. When you are in labor, the lower segment of the uterus where they cut can get thinned out. When your OB gets to this part, they usually cut carefully so that they only cut the uterus and not the baby!

• sking72 said:

Stupid questions...

That's what I was thinking... They're very "man made" animals. I'd imagine wild animals don't have the issue either? Are beef cows and meat goats affected by it at all? Oh fun research to do today instead of packing my hospital bag!!! Haha

• sking72 said:

sking72 said:

Stupid questions...

That's what I was thinking... They're very "man made" animals. I'd imagine wild animals don't have the issue either? Are beef cows and meat goats affected by it at all? Oh fun research to do today instead of packing my hospital bag!!! Haha

I don't think the meat goats or cows have the same issues. They produce a richer milk in smaller quantities.

Beef cows interestingly enough are better mothers than dairy cows because you want the cow to take care of the baby. They usually take dairy calves away so didn't breed for maternal instinct. Also their udders are so huge that sometimes the calves can't physically get low enough to nurse.

Dairy goats tend to be good moms still. Although it varies. I had a first fresher give birth and try to attack the baby! We didn't make her do it again.

• snmetz7 said:
    With DD1 I went in to my doctor on Tuesday because I thought I was leaking (38w2d) and he checked, said I was fine and that he didn't think she was coming soon. I went into labor Thursday and she was born Friday(38w5d)!!! So yes, I was not dilated at all and she still came early!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I've heard the catheter is painful (particularly removal of it?). Fact or fiction? ETA: acknowledging that all pain is relative, but I'm curious about some of your personal experiences
    I hate the catheter. I had it put in with no pain meds (water broke and baby wasn't engaged so I was on a monitor and not allowed up) and it was very painful. Taking it out was just uncomfortable and a definite relief!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • My hospital book says not to wear nail polish in the event they have to do a c-section. However, If i go in to labor before my EDD and am wearing nail polish, will they just remove it? 
     BabyFruit Ticker
  • My hospital book says not to wear nail polish in the event they have to do a c-section. However, If i go in to labor before my EDD and am wearing nail polish, will they just remove it? 

Pretty sure they will.
    *Married 10.10.08*
    TTC #1 9.09 - BFP#1:2.18.10= missed m/c, D&C 4.16
    BFP#2:10.22.10=Avelin born 7.2.11
    TTC#2: 2.13 - BFP#3: 7.25.13=Kelsey born 3.31.14
  • ksulli said:
    My hospital book says not to wear nail polish in the event they have to do a c-section. However, If i go in to labor before my EDD and am wearing nail polish, will they just remove it? 
    Pretty sure they will.
    Thank you! I figured they would... I just needed reassurance. Thankfully this thread exists! I just wasn't sure if I should pack nail polish remover just in case! lol 

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"