April 2014 Moms

Stupid Questions Thread

Re: Stupid Questions Thread

• With my irritable uterus and a few other fun "signs" I'm slightly concerned this baby may come too early since I've dropped already. Although I know it can mean nothing, did you both have term babies?

April 2014 May Siggy Challenge: Funny Animals- Kangaroo Mating Ritual

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

• Loading the player...
  • So not even really sure how to explain this one, but just wondering if anyone else has experienced it/if it was potential early contractions... last night, my belly sort of felt like it "jolted," a few times?  A couple minutes apart each time, and I was lying in bed trying to fall asleep so I wasn't paying a huge amount of attention... but it was definitely something I haven't experienced yet in terms of just baby movement or Braxton-hicks or anything like that, and it kind of startled me/made me gasp a little bit.  It wasn't exactly painful, and I don't really think my belly tightened or anything, it was just a sudden sort of "kick," kind of feeling without being a kick... if that makes any sense?  It happened three times (that I remember before falling asleep), and they were far enough apart that I didn't think it was worth mentioning to my SO.  This morning I woke up with a bit of discharge/leakage in my underwear though, and I'm just hoping it wasn't my water (I did use vaginal gel last night for a yeast infection, so I'm thinking it could've been that leaking back out).  I haven't felt anything distinct or different this morning, so I'm probably being paranoid... but thanks for listening ladies!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • nikki912 said:
    With my irritable uterus and a few other fun "signs" I'm slightly concerned this baby may come too early since I've dropped already. Although I know it can mean nothing, did you both have term babies?
    I ended up being induced at 40w 1day for low fluids. 

Baby dropping is pretty normal for the stage in the game. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
                                ~Missed MC at 8 weeks. D&C at 12 weeks on 4/17/13~ 
       Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • @Eija3013 What about Nymbler? I made a list of names I liked and let DH cross off the ones he didn't. He didn't want to make his own list so it worked for us.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • sking72 said:
    Mamamonzo said:
    What about crystal light in water? I'm not getting heartburn from water, but it is hard to drink a gallon without some flavoring each day so that has been my solution.
    Before using Crystal Light check with your OB. I asked about it an mine said there was something in it that's a no no, and she preferred me to avoid it. She's really laid back about that stuff so if she says no she has a pretty good reason. Of course all OB's and opinions are different yours may be totally ok with it!
    I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure it has aspartame in it.
    Regular crystal light does (aspartame is one of my migraine triggers so I watch carefully) but they make a version called "Pure" which does not have aspartame.
    Yeah, they had a Strawberry Kiwi "Pure Fitness" one with stevia that I loooved. Can't find it anymore. Aspartame gives me anaphylaxis and sucralose gives me the shits. Funsies. I can pretty much never touch a homemade dessert without interrogating whoever made it first.
    Agh, so I'm not the only one who can't find it anymore??  Boo.  Hiss.
  • nikki912 said:

With my irritable uterus and a few other fun "signs" I'm slightly concerned this baby may come too early since I've dropped already. Although I know it can mean nothing, did you both have term babies?

DS dropped at 35 weeks and was born 40w2d. DD was induced at 39 weeks.

Married 3.14.09
    DS born 8.20.10
    MC 7.11.11
    DD born 5.24.12
    #3 EDD 4.02.14
  • When are we far enough along that they wouldn't stop labor if it started? I know there are lots of factors and that it varies woman to woman. If the water hasn't broken is there a standard? Just wondering as I inch ever closer to the end. 
    The hospital I deliver at doesn't stop labor after 35 weeks.
  • I went to a birthing class last night and the instructor said that after labor women are given pitocin to help the uterus contract and clamp down so there is less bleeding. Is this normal?

• I think they discontinued it. It was on clearance like a year ago and I bought all 12 boxes the store had. Haven't seen it since.

:(( :(( :(( :((
  • hlm184 said:

hlm184 said:

I think they discontinued it. It was on clearance like a year ago and I bought all 12 boxes the store had. Haven't seen it since.

:(( :(( :(( :((

Amazon to the rescue? No promises on how old it is... https://www.amazon.com/Crystal-Light-Strawberry-Naturally-Sweetened/dp/B004EEGDWM
  • Kbmac said:

bacorrea said:

I went to a birthing class last night and the instructor said that after labor women are given pitocin to help the uterus contract and clamp down so there is less bleeding. Is this normal?

I was given pitocin after vaginally delivering DD.  Not sure if it differs based on vaginal birth versus c-section.    
    ------------------

No Pitocin administered after a CS. In fact, once you've had a CS, you're really never supposed to have Pitocin again in the future.

Usually you do get pitocin after a C/S to make sure the uterus contracts which helps controls bleeding. For subsequent pregnancies, you make not get pitocin for induction or augmentation of labor
  • When are we far enough along that they wouldn't stop labor if it started? I know there are lots of factors and that it varies woman to woman. If the water hasn't broken is there a standard? Just wondering as I inch ever closer to the end. 

My OB said they wouldn't stop labor after 34w. Soooo, two weeks ago for me, eeeeek.
  • Kbmac said:

bacorrea said:

I went to a birthing class last night and the instructor said that after labor women are given pitocin to help the uterus contract and clamp down so there is less bleeding. Is this normal?

I was given pitocin after vaginally delivering DD.  Not sure if it differs based on vaginal birth versus c-section.    
    ------------------

No Pitocin administered after a CS. In fact, once you've had a CS, you're really never supposed to have Pitocin again in the future.
    Usually you do get pitocin after a C/S to make sure the uterus contracts which helps controls bleeding. For subsequent pregnancies, you make not get pitocin for induction or augmentation of labor

------------------

Hmmmmm. I definitely did not receive it after mine.
    DD 2/21/2012 & DS 4/1/2014
  • So a vaginal birth pitocin is normal and a csection it isn't. My mom had all 4 of us by csection she didn't have pit either.

Is it pretty painful? I guess it's probably different for everybody. I know that the uterus has to contract, I just didn't know they administered pit to make that happen.
  • What causes people to get hemroids? I thought it was straining like to go to the bathroom or during labor. I don't have any but keep reading how lots of A14 does. Is everyone just having a hard time pooping or do other things cause them?

I think they are so common in pregnancy because blood volume increases causing blood vessels to swell. Then the digestive system slows down leading to constipation and straining during bowel movements. This combo is the perfect recipe for them to pop up.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • They give pitocin here (seattle) after vaginal births to help speed up the delivery of the placenta and shrink the uterus to stop bleeding. At least that's what they taught us in our childbirth class.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • poru said:

I don't know a single person that had pitocin after delivery - vaginal or csection. I didn't with a csection. Maybe it's a regional thing?!

I had pit after my c/s because I hemorrhaged. I also had just about every other drug they could possibly choose to try to stop the bleeding. So women with co controlled bleeding and or boggy uterus s/p c/s or vag birth will get pit. We also give it to some types of m/c in the ER, but usually just for bleeding.
  • bacorrea said:
    ------------------ No Pitocin administered after a CS. In fact, once you've had a CS, you're really never supposed to have Pitocin again in the future.
    ------------------ Hmmmmm. I definitely did not receive it after mine.
    Maybe it could be regional, but where I worked, it was included in the IV bag with fluids. We continued it for 4 hours after delivery.
  • So some things I'm reading say that pain on your right side above your uterus can be a sign for pre-e. I have this but I feel like it's my ribs? They feel better when I take my bra off. Should I just chalk it up to my ribs being sore?

Mention it to your doctor, it's important information. It is likely just your ribs expanding/a nerve being squished/ some poor internal organ getting relocated/ baby sitting weird, but it doesn't hurt to tell your OB at your next appointment, just to be safe.

If it gets worse, call in.
  • So some things I'm reading say that pain on your right side above your uterus can be a sign for pre-e. I have this but I feel like it's my ribs? They feel better when I take my bra off. Should I just chalk it up to my ribs being sore?

I heard this too so finally put a call in to my dr last night. She also mentioned that it could gallbladder or just something that happens during pregnancy. If I was able to sleep through the pain, I didn't need to come in earlier then my appt next week but If it got so bad I couldn't sleep to go in and get it looked at
    June Siggy Challenge

imageMy little Princess
    BFP#2 7/28/13 EDD 4/9/14 Birthday : 4/10/14 Adalyn Nanette :)
    BFP#1 6/29/12 LTMC 10/20/12 (20 weeks) induced delivery 10/22/12
    Pregnancy Ticker

I have the same thing, and being bra-less helps a ton. Had my doc check yesterday and she said it's just a stretching pain at the top of the uterus/rib cage. I treat it with a little cold sometimes, or a little oil + massage helps.

DD on a recent trip to London. 3 yrs old.
    EDD 4/7/18
    MC 5/20/17 @8 wks
  • MissWhisMissWhis member
    edited March 2014
    My OB (in Portland, OR) said they give an injection of oxytocin (pitocin) during c-sections after the baby comes out as standard practice. She said it helps the placenta detach from the uterine wall. I go to a fairly intervention-free practice and I'm at high risk for catastrophic hemorrhaging so I have no problems with this!

Edit: I was only given this information when I asked her out of curiosity how they removed the placenta during the surgery. I think otherwise I would have never known. I believe she said they inject it directly into the placenta (through an umbilical vein?), but I could be totally wrong about that last part.
  • Pitocin for c-sections - where I work pitocin is usually just added to the bag of IV fluids that is already infusing during the surgery.
  • ImnAtari said:

STM's - what process did you use to time contractions? app, pen and paper, super awesome memory??

We didn't, if the midwife did when she got there I wasn't aware of that either. I was way to busy walking around my house and getting in and out of the shower like a nutter to care about the contractions. I had a horrid compulsion to be up and moving constantly.
  • ksulli said:
    STM's - what process did you use to time contractions? app, pen and paper, super awesome memory??
    DH found an app a few hours into contractions. It's convenient because you hit start & stop, so you it knows how often AND how long you're contracting. Plus some of them give you a rolling one hour average. There are tons out there. Many are free.
    This ^.  It's very helpful.   I don't think I would have been up to watching the clock to time my contractions for hours at a time.  
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Girl: 2014/4/25  K: Born 2012/02/20
    BFP 12/31/2010; missed m/c @ 6w1d, medical m/c(Misoprostol)@ 13w2d.    My Blog

• ksulli said:
    DH found an app a few hours into contractions. It's convenient because you hit start & stop, so you it knows how often AND how long you're contracting. Plus some of them give you a rolling one hour average. There are tons out there. Many are free.
    This ^.  It's very helpful.   I don't think I would have been up to watching the clock to time my contractions for hours at a time.  
    I'm a FTM so I haven't had a chance to use it yet but we DL a free one call "Full Term" and I really like that all you do is hit start stop and it does all the calculations for you... and extra benefit since I'm nerdy is you have the option to look at them in graph view as well.
    June Siggy Challenge

imageMy little Princess
    BFP#2 7/28/13 EDD 4/9/14 Birthday : 4/10/14 Adalyn Nanette :)
    BFP#1 6/29/12 LTMC 10/20/12 (20 weeks) induced delivery 10/22/12
    Pregnancy Ticker

• ImnAtari said:
    I used an app, so much easier than pen and paper.  
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
                                ~Missed MC at 8 weeks. D&C at 12 weeks on 4/17/13~ 
  • I always have my nails on the longer side, should I cut them short when baby arrives to avoid scratching her on accident or does it not really happen?
    Why do my boobs look so good?image
    Then I peed on a stick...image
  • Can someone help me with my list?

What are the important things I need to have available for when this baby comes? I am moving to another state about 2 months after her due date. I do not want to deal with unpacking boxes and setting up furniture/baby gear, just to turn around to repack it and set it up again. 

My list includes: car seat & base, bassinet & pack n play, breast pump & bottles, size NB and 0-3 months clothes, carrier, changing pad & cover, swaddles, burp cloths, diapers & wipes, bathtub, towels & wash cloths, and body wash

TIA!
  • ImnAtari said:
    6+ years ago, apps weren't cool, so it was all pen and paper :)
  • sking72 said:

I always have my nails on the longer side, should I cut them short when baby arrives to avoid scratching her on accident or does it not really happen?

I scratched DS once or twice. The worst was when i scratched him with my wedding ring. I felt so bad.

April 2014 May Siggy Challenge: Funny Animals- Kangaroo Mating Ritual

• ImnAtari said:
    6+ years ago, apps weren't cool, so it was all pen and paper :)
    12 yrs ago there were no smart phones. Texting wasn't common, no apps. Ancient history! Now during the late night hours with the baby I can read, text, email, all from my phone! Going to be a whole new experience.

Yes!! My oldest will be 12 in September, it's crazy how different it is compared to that time!!!!
  • sking72 said:
    I always have my nails on the longer side, should I cut them short when baby arrives to avoid scratching her on accident or does it not really happen?
    Nope, it happens.  At the beginning it might help to have them shorter as you spend so much time picking them up and have to get used to doing everything.  On the other hand, you might have no trouble with this at all.  It depends.  I cut mine after I scratched DS a few times, but I adjusted fairly quickly and started letting grow out longer when he got around 6 mths old.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Girl: 2014/4/25  K: Born 2012/02/20
    BFP 12/31/2010; missed m/c @ 6w1d, medical m/c(Misoprostol)@ 13w2d.    My Blog

• Can someone help me with my list?

What are the important things I need to have available for when this baby comes? I am moving to another state about 2 months after her due date. I do not want to deal with unpacking boxes and setting up furniture/baby gear, just to turn around to repack it and set it up again. 

My list includes: car seat & base, bassinet & pack n play, breast pump & bottles, size NB and 0-3 months clothes, carrier, changing pad & cover, swaddles, burp cloths, diapers & wipes, bathtub, towels & wash cloths, and body wash

TIA!
    Look into getting a collapsable/folding infant tub. Will defiantly cut down on crap to pack. I would have gotten one for DD but my old Ballet teacher gave me all over her sons old stuff which included a giant blue plastic infant/toddler tub. Puj, summer infant, and princelionheart all make nice folding tubs and you just buy the big sponge thing to go under baby depending on which you get. I guess you could wash baby in the sink but I could never trust our water heater (it's as old as the house). I can't really think of anything else that's a must have.

• I'm about to wash all of my cloth diapers. I have about 20 BumGenius 4.0s and twice as many inserts. Should I wash them all in one load, or should I split it? Also, how many times do I wash them? 

I have the Rock'n Green soap, ICYWW.
    The covers only need washing once, I'd throw then in with the inserts and 1tbs RNG. After that load is done take the covers out and dry, we line dry (yes you can do this in the house). And the inserts can get washed and dried about another 6 times. I have some plastic dryer balls that we use instead of dryer sheets and it helps beat them dry and soft. You can wash the inserts with the rest of the baby cloths, or your own cloths if you use RNG for the whole family. No need to use soap for the next 6 washes though, as it's more about opening the micro fiber than cleaning them.
  • Question that it feels like I should know the answer to - do I need to be buying bibs for my baby? I assume I'll need them when he starts to eat solids, but do you need them right away?

Not sure if this is something I should throw on my registry. 
    TTC #1 since August 2012 |  BFP August 17th, 2013  |    EDD April 25th, 2014
    Living with Vestibulodynia (Chronic pelvic pain)

• CalinAZ said:
    Question that it feels like I should know the answer to - do I need to be buying bibs for my baby? I assume I'll need them when he starts to eat solids, but do you need them right away?

Not sure if this is something I should throw on my registry. 
    I have bibs, but that's because I've seen my nephew eat. There is spit and drool and milk everywhere and I'd like to try to save my clothes a little. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"