April 2014 Moms

Stupid Questions Thread

Re: Stupid Questions Thread

• ksulli said:
    And I have no idea about what to do with the baby. And hopefully I will be breastfeeding. So I have to think about pumping. And a whole day doing wedding stuff. Oh no!! This is gonna be rough!!
    My thoughts on baby: can H be on site for all the prep with baby? Feed just before the cerimony since that can't be interrupted, and the rest of the day nurse as needed- way easier than pumping. I was a bridesmaid while dd was nursing and that's what worked for us. Keep the ease of boob access in mind while dress shopping too.
    My sister is also getting married soon after I give birth (about 2 months after) so I've been wondering how to go about nursing, too--this is a great idea! DH will be with the baby all day anyway so maybe I'll pump a few bottles worth just in case but also make sure I'm within a reasonable distance so baby can nurse and we don't need to worry about bottles.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Started dating February 6, 2012
    Married June 28, 2013
    BFP August 9, 2013
    Had our first baby, Samuel Robert, on April 17, 2014!

• Loading the player...
  • How bad is the first poop. . . Really?
    Wasn't bad at all.  I took stool softeners that they give you as soon as possible though and continued them for a week.  I had heard way too many horror stories.
    Heidiman said:
    My sister's wedding, yes it was planned in advance of my pregnancy will be 20 days after baby is born IF she comes on my EDD. I am the MOH (third wedding I will add) and she is starting to panic about my dress. I keep telling her that picking a dress will be more of a game time decision based on when she arrives, how she arrives, etc... Right? Do y'all think I should look at a maternity dress now to calm her nerves? Will that be my best bet in your opinions either way? I keep seeing, plan on feeling 6 months pregnant after delivery. How long does that generally last? I know everyone is different but some experienced mom's thought would be really helpful about now!!! Thanks :-) Edit spelling
    I was down to pre-pregnancy weight within the first month,  but my post baby body was way different.  Plan to have a lot more jiggly fat in the stomach area and still look 3-4 mths pregnant by then.  If you end up with a c-section, you might also not want a dress that's tight on your lower stomach.  Maybe, look around and pick 2-3 strong possibilities and buy the one you think will work the best based on how you feel after baby comes.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Girl: 2014/4/25  K: Born 2012/02/20
    BFP 12/31/2010; missed m/c @ 6w1d, medical m/c(Misoprostol)@ 13w2d.    My Blog

• @ksulli and @poru

I clearly have no clue what I'm doing! I'm over here assuming that I would be able to pump but 2 weeks sounds like no time at all. That makes me nervous about having her at the wedding being so little. Luckily all of the getting ready is at my moms so that wil be fine. But its an evening wedding. We will all be exhausted by then. My husband may just have to stay at my moms through the ceremony and come when she's ready between sleeping and eating. Oh wow. This is a bit overwhelming. Im so glad y'all are getting me thinking about it!
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Do you really have to *sterilize* bottles before first use? Wash in hot soapy water, I get - but actually sterilize? They're not going to stay sterile...
    :-/
    I would, just because you don't know the quality of the water and such used in the manufacture of the parts. Now if you use well water you should be sterilizing all parts, bottles and water prior to making bottles or formula every time. This is a big problem here when I live, with the run off from the dairies and leech lines contaminating ground water.
    This is from Babycenter:

Do I need to sterilize the bottles?

Before you first use new bottles, nipples, and rings, sterilize them by submerging them in a pot of boiling water for at least five minutes. Then let them air dry on a clean towel. After that, a good cleaning in hot, soapy water or a cycle through the dishwasher is sufficient.

Two exceptions: One, if you have well water, it may be best to continue sterilizing the bottles. And two, to minimize exposure to harmful chemicals, don't boil plastic baby bottles, heat them in the microwave, or wash them in the dishwasher.

Plastic bottles are made with bisphenol A and other chemicals that are released when heated. When these chemicals are released, they may end up in your baby's milk or formula.

You can find handy bottle-feeding gear, such as bottle drying racks and dishwasher baskets for nipples, rings, and bottle caps, at most baby supply stores.

____
    The main idea is that bacteria from the production process are more likely to be narly strains than what is in your house. Baby will also have antibodies from you (passed in utero/BFing) to the things you are commonly exposed to.

We just use a sanitary cycle on our dishwasher. Worth checking to see if you have one!
    BFP#1 9/14/10 (EDD 5/21/11); no fetal pole 6w6d, 7w4d, d&c 10/8
    BFP#2 3/16/11, beta 138; 4/12 Baby/HB DS born 9/10/11 at 29w4d due to partial abruption and PTL
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    BFP#3 8/19/13 Another boy! 17P, modified bedrest and Nifedipine helped us have a termie! DS2 born 4/19/14 at 38w5d.
  • I have a question to add to the sterilizing bottles question. Can I do this before the baby is born? (like between 37-40 weeks gestation) OR should I wait until I start pumping once she is here?

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

#1 BFP 26/May/2013 EDD 27/Jan/2014 MC at 5 weeks, 2 days 
    #2 BFP 04/Aug/2013 EDD April 18th, 2014. Baby M born May 2, 2014.

• embear22 said:
    ST+M's Was it true for you that around the time you went into labor you had a few great days where you were extremely active and productive and then out of no where you got like really nausea's and flu like symptoms and then you went into labor within a day or two? I've read that a few different places and was just wondering how true it was. 
    I've heard of this happening, but it never happened with me. One day I was fine, next day I was in labor.
  • I've noticed more BH contractions the last day or so. I don't remember having them as much with my other 2.They aren't regular enough to make me think anything is really going on, but they are frequent enough throughout the day that they make me wonder a little. Is there a number/day kind of guideline? NST tomorrow and an appt on Thursday.
    More than 5 an hour is what I've been told.
  • Speaking of poop... I know the baby's first is bad and usually a tar like substance and can be sticky. I saw on Pinterest that a way to help clean this is to put Vaseline on the baby's butt after it is born in an effort to make it clean off easier. Anyone do this? Thoughts?
  • poru said:

Heidiman said:

@ksulli and @poru

I clearly have no clue what I'm doing! I'm over here assuming that I would be able to pump but 2 weeks sounds like no time at all. That makes me nervous about having her at the wedding being so little. Luckily all of the getting ready is at my moms so that wil be fine. But its an evening wedding. We will all be exhausted by then. My husband may just have to stay at my moms through the ceremony and come when she's ready between sleeping and eating. Oh wow. This is a bit overwhelming. Im so glad y'all are getting me thinking about it!

If your hubby has her at the wedding venue I think it would be fairly easy.  At that age they sleep in arms and carriers easily.  They don't do much besides look cute, sleep and nurse.   That part sounds like the easiest part to me!!

I am just thinking pumping may add to the stress.  That would require you during the first 2 weeks to practice pumping, taking a bottle (some kids are wary of the bottle), trying to store etc, etc.  I had to do that for underweight issues / supply reasons and it was a pain. 

If you could just scout out a quiet place you can go to nurse with baby during wedding, I think it would be much easier on you.  I am not going to lie -- unless you are one of those 10% who have magic time adjusting to motherhood, nursing, and get out and about the first week, its gonna be a hard day.  But its your sisters wedding, so you will make it
    work!! 

@poru is spot on, I think! Establishing a pumping routine so early on could be a big challenge. Keep DH "on call" with the baby while y'all are getting ready instead of planning on bottle feeding, and then just nurse somewhere quiet at the wedding.

DD 2/21/2012 & DS 4/1/2014
  • Alright this may be TMI but that's what this thread is for right?! Lol
    I keep getting like sharp shooting pains like right on/near my butthole. Similar to lightning crotch, is this lightning butt? :\">
    NTNP 11/2011 CP 11/29/12 BFP 8/6/13 EDD 4/16/14 ♥ 
    Logan Timothy - Born 4/5/14 @ 38w3d, 7lbs14.8oz, 20½in.
    imageimage
  • I have a quick question about fundal height? Does it always get measured with a tape measure? Do doctors always do it? Is there a time they start to check it? My last pregnancy they started checking it when i was almost 6 months. With this pregnancy my doctor has never measured me. They just feel around and listen to the heartbeat.
    My Alice in Wonderland Baby Shower 3/30/2014
    Instagram photo by sassijae - Baby shower time... #laylascoming #sisterinlaw #aliceinwonderland #teaparty #cantwaittilltiffgetshere

October 30, 2011
  • @Leeroy80

They recommend continuing with a prenatal throughout your entire birthing years. I continued with my prenatal but was not as strict about it.

April 2014 May Siggy Challenge: Funny Animals- Kangaroo Mating Ritual

• Leeroy80 said:
    To moms who BF: what vitamins do you take while BFing? Continue with prenatal or go with a multivitamin?
    I continued with prenatals from the recommendation of my midwives. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
                                ~Missed MC at 8 weeks. D&C at 12 weeks on 4/17/13~ 
  • Leeroy80 said:

To moms who BF: what vitamins do you take while BFing? Continue with prenatal or go with a multivitamin?

I continued with prenatal til DD was around a year old. I figured it couldn't hurt.
  • Sisimama10Sisimama10 member
    edited March 2014
    Repeat post.
  • Sisimama10Sisimama10 member
    edited March 2014
    And repeat post again.
  • kcp913 said:
    ST+Ms is there any truth to going into labor not too long (say a week, maybe two) after baby drops down, in your experience?
    Nope, this guy made his first drop at 28 weeks and has dropped lower every other week since. I swear he can't get any lower but I'm sure he will.

Started dropping with my second at 30 weeks and he was born at 40w 1d. My first dropped around 36 weeks and I went into labor at 40w 1d as well.
  • Question about cervical checks. The ladies on the FB wall are commenting on how painful these are. Are they really?

#1 BFP 26/May/2013 EDD 27/Jan/2014 MC at 5 weeks, 2 days 
    #2 BFP 04/Aug/2013 EDD April 18th, 2014. Baby M born May 2, 2014.

• jgreig83 said:

Question about cervical checks. The ladies on the FB wall are commenting on how painful these are. Are they really?

At the time, yes but the pain is short lived
    June Siggy Challenge

imageMy little Princess
    BFP#2 7/28/13 EDD 4/9/14 Birthday : 4/10/14 Adalyn Nanette :)
    BFP#1 6/29/12 LTMC 10/20/12 (20 weeks) induced delivery 10/22/12
    Pregnancy Ticker

• @nikki912 I meant mine. :) Thanks for a very thorough answer though!
    2014-08-24 15.36.57-2  2014-08-23 17.20.12
    2014-08-24 15.22.00  2014-08-20 12.19.26

Fell in Love: January 2003 
    Married: May 2006
    Baby Girl Born: April 2014
    If you ask me what I came to do in this world, I, an artist, I will answer you: 
    I am here to live out loud!
  • This may have already been addresses but is it necessary to purchase a nursing sleep bra? Would a regular sports bra work just as well or are the specifically designed nursing bras a must?

• aviola329 said:

snmetz7 said:

jgreig83 said:

Question about cervical checks. The ladies on the FB wall are commenting on how painful these are. Are they really?

At the time, yes but the pain is short lived

I've heard it compared to a pap smear? True?

They have to go in much deeper then a Pap smear. So there's more pressure. (For me)
    June Siggy Challenge

imageMy little Princess
    BFP#2 7/28/13 EDD 4/9/14 Birthday : 4/10/14 Adalyn Nanette :)
    BFP#1 6/29/12 LTMC 10/20/12 (20 weeks) induced delivery 10/22/12
    Pregnancy Ticker

• jgreig83 said:

I've had multiple by multiple people and don't think they hurt at all. Lots of pressure. I don't think a pap hurts at all either. I've never had a painful one.

BabyFetus Ticker

• aviola329 said:

Eh a little bit of both.....follow up question. When do docs start checking dilation? I'm just trying to decide if I should start paying more attention to the state of things before appointments soon. Lol.

Different protocol for different docs. Some don't do them at all unless you request them. Some start at 36 or 37 weeks. You don't have to have them if you don't want to.
    DD 2/21/2012 & DS 4/1/2014
  • Re cervical checks: I find them extremely uncomfortable and if they're optional I will be opting out. (I've had to have them to check progression due to signs of PTL) I wouldn't compare them to a pap, I don't find those to be too uncomfortable. But I guess since there is going to be a baby coming out of there it's NBD in the grand scheme of uncomfortable things we're in for. :)

imageimage
  • kcp913 said:
    ST+Ms is there any truth to going into labor not too long (say a week, maybe two) after baby drops down, in your experience?
    Baby dropped 3 weeks before I went into labor.  As far as I can tell, baby dropping lower does nothing to help them come unless the rest of your body is ready to go into labor.
    jgreig83 said:
    Cervical checks hurt like nothing else.  I've also heard that if your doctor has small hands or is a man with big hands it's worse.  My doctor had small hands and the on-call doctor when I delivered was a man.  Of the two, the on-call doctor hurt way, way worse.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Girl: 2014/4/25  K: Born 2012/02/20
    BFP 12/31/2010; missed m/c @ 6w1d, medical m/c(Misoprostol)@ 13w2d.    My Blog

• I think cervical checks depend entirely on who's performing them and how far dilated you are (more dilation = more discomfort) but all in all I wouldn't say they are painful. Good thing is you can always refuse them :)

Married 3.14.09
    DS born 8.20.10
    MC 7.11.11
    DD born 5.24.12
    #3 EDD 4.02.14
  • Leeroy80 said:
    My multivitamin is the same am my prenatals so I maintained the same pill. I use Shaklee vitamins and they are proven as efficient or more so than prenatals so I never switched.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I had cervical checks at EVERY appointment (from weeks 10-36) last pregnancy (I had no idea that wasn't necessary nor any clue why he did that) and I found ALL of them to be immensely uncomfortable or painful and spotted or outright bled after all of them, and I cramped. The frequency of checks was completely over the top (no issues or signs of pre-term labor) and I wish I'd known that at the time.

This time around, I've had none, but the OB I have now would like to check at 38 weeks. Still not sure I'll say yes, as my past leads me to believe pain and bleeding will occur (and cramping for half a day)... Really, the baby will come when the baby will come, regardless of checks.

That is absurd!!!

Married 3.14.09
    DS born 8.20.10
    MC 7.11.11
    DD born 5.24.12
    #3 EDD 4.02.14
  • amhah09 said:

I had cervical checks at EVERY appointment (from weeks 10-36) last pregnancy (I had no idea that wasn't necessary nor any clue why he did that) and I found ALL of them to be immensely uncomfortable or painful and spotted or outright bled after all of them, and I cramped. The frequency of checks was completely over the top (no issues or signs of pre-term labor) and I wish I'd known that at the time.

This time around, I've had none, but the OB I have now would like to check at 38 weeks. Still not sure I'll say yes, as my past leads me to believe pain and bleeding will occur (and cramping for half a day)... Really, the baby will come when the baby will come, regardless of checks.

That is absurd!!!
    Totally. And he never tested for GSB because he didn't think it necessary. I immediately switched OBs after my PP check-up at 6 weeks due those and other things. Total quack in my opinion and I wish I'd known what I do now and spoken up about things.
    You poor thing. That's awful!

Married 3.14.09
    DS born 8.20.10
    MC 7.11.11
    DD born 5.24.12
    #3 EDD 4.02.14
  • jgreig83 said:
    I've never found cervical checks to be painful or even uncomfortable....but then again pap's are that big of a deal for me either. 
  • To go along with the cervical check questions, what exactly do they do? Shove a finger up there and estimate the size of the hole in the opening? I've heard the painful part is when they try to induce by ripping the membranes with their hands, but I honestly don't know what they do. And when they say you are 8cm or whatever, I assume that is a guess and they aren't actually measuring, right?

Married 9/18/10
    TTC 1/1/12
    BFP #1 12/13/12 MMC Confirmed 1/30/13
    BFP #2 6/17/13, (Clomid+Ovidrel) CP Confirmed 6/26/13
    BFP #3 8/14/2013 (Letrozole+IUI) Charlie Grace born 5/2/2014

Laparoscopic surgery 8/15 to remove misplaced IUD

BFP #4, #5, #6  (Letrozole+IUI)all MMC, BFP #7 EDD 1/3/2017

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• To go along with the cervical check questions, what exactly do they do? Shove a finger up there and estimate the size of the hole in the opening? I've heard the painful part is when they try to induce by ripping the membranes with their hands, but I honestly don't know what they do. And when they say you are 8cm or whatever, I assume that is a guess and they aren't actually measuring, right?

Yes, they measure with their fingers. No, they aren't taking a ruler but they can pretty accurately judge based on their fingers. That is why there may be some variation from provider to provide, but generally not much.

Membrane sweeps are much more uncomfortable (borderline painful) IMO.

Married 3.14.09
    DS born 8.20.10
    MC 7.11.11
    DD born 5.24.12
    #3 EDD 4.02.14

I had my membranes stripped and that was very painful but totally worth t for me- went into labor that evening. As far as what they're Doing up there, they measure cm by estimating the opening with their fingers. Usually one finger is one cm, two fingers is two cm etc. When it gets up to the higher numbers they estimate by experience. Feeling around and what not. There are charts on the Internet if you're interested in what they are looking for when they are up there.

April 2014 May Siggy Challenge: Funny Animals- Kangaroo Mating Ritual

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"