Preemies
Options

Flerlgirl

e74e74 member
edited February 2014 in Preemies
My one twin now definitely needs a helmet evaluation... ( I posted about his flat head and the possibility of a helmet back on February 12th). He will be going to see a neurosurgeon... Is what they do there painful... Never been through this before.... Any input/ insight you have would be appreciated! Thank you!
DS#1 born 9/23/06 
Twins DS#2 and 3 born at 31 weeks, 3 days due to a short cervix on 8/2/13.

Re: Flerlgirl

• Options
    I'm not who you paged, obviously. But my oldest twin had a DOC band helmet for four months from 12/12 to 4/13 so I wanted to chime in. It's most definitely not painful. Taking measurements and pictures and being fitted can annoy the kid but at no point is pain involved. Usually the neurosurgeon will take tons of measurements to figure out the severity and if it's bad enough they'll refer you to a helmet location.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    Married 9/22/07, began TTC 8/10
    Diagnosed with DOR, LP defect, mild endometriosis and cysts
    BFP #1 EDD 9/10/11, natural miscarriage at 6w
    BFP #2 Medicated cycle, twin boys born 4/4/12 at 29w4d
    BFP #3 EDD 8/8/14, D&C for missed miscarriage at 8w, baby boy with triploidy
    BFP #4 June 2014 CP
  • Options
    Missa-g Thank you for responding... I may have had the wrong person... I'm just a little overwhelmed with all of this--- I keep being told his head is really flat and then no one wanted to move to make a helmet recommendation. Although I knew it was coming, I'm still sad for him which I know is ridiculous considering both twins were born early and went through NICU stays and we are lucky they are here at all... I'm rambling... Thanks for the reassurance...
    DS#1 born 9/23/06 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    e74 said:

Missa-g Thank you for responding... I may have had the wrong person... I'm just a little overwhelmed with all of this--- I keep being told his head is really flat and then no one wanted to move to make a helmet recommendation. Although I knew it was coming, I'm still sad for him which I know is ridiculous considering both twins were born early and went through NICU stays and we are lucky they are here at all... I'm rambling... Thanks for the reassurance...

I'm sorry you're having a tough time with it. Please know that in the grand scheme of things that my oldest has been through the helmet has been, by far, the easiest. I know it seems scary but it's really easy and effective. There are lots of things you can do to make the experience more fun for him and for you. My husband painted the helmet to look like R2D2. I really think when they look back at pictures my youngest twin is going to be disappointed he didn't get to wear something so cool. I would be happy to send you some pictures if you'd like. I know when we were going through the evaluation process it really helped me to actually see kids in them still happy.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    Married 9/22/07, began TTC 8/10
    Diagnosed with DOR, LP defect, mild endometriosis and cysts
    BFP #1 EDD 9/10/11, natural miscarriage at 6w
    BFP #2 Medicated cycle, twin boys born 4/4/12 at 29w4d
    BFP #3 EDD 8/8/14, D&C for missed miscarriage at 8w, baby boy with triploidy
    BFP #4 June 2014 CP
  • Options
    If you wouldn't mind, that would be great to see pictures!
    DS#1 born 9/23/06 
  • Options
    Sorry, I just saw this! The evaluation itself is not at all painful, and neither is the helmet! DS just laid down in this cool scanner and they scanned his head and it drew a diagram on the computer. It was actually really cool to watch. 

DS wore his for 3 months. The difference was amazing. I'll be totally honest and say that I was sad, too, but DS could not have cared less! It's so hard getting the helmet in one way because you're like SERIOUSLY, one more thing?? But it made such a huge difference for DS and I am so so glad we did it. I will find some pictures and add them here, too, and if you have any questions just let me know! It's overwhelming with all the new info but soon you will be a pro!!!

I'm not new. I just hate The Bump. 

• Options
    e74e74 member
    Thank you both ladies!! You have been wonderful...we have our first apptmt with the neurosurgeon on Wed for the evaluation....
    DS#1 born 9/23/06 
  • Options
    Here is DS in the helmet (I tried to find one that showed how it fit on his head, but I have others if you want to see more):

And here is the picture of the scan before he got the helmet and then after he graduated from it (red is before, blue is after): 

• Options
    @laura8388, thank you! He is bit of a ham :)

@e74, good luck with your appointment tomorrow!! 

• Options
    @ceebug, that is so nice of you to say! I'm glad it was helpful for you. I bawled to my mother on the phone when DS got his helmet and then I bawled when DH came home from work and then I bawled when DS got up from his nap wearing the helmet :) It is an adjustment but I stopped crying after a couple days, haha :) Best of luck to you and your LO!

• Options
    e74e74 member
    Thank you ladies! Flerlgirl, thanks so much for the pictures... They cheered me up... I have to be honest, though, I tear up every time I think about his apptmt tomorrow.
    DS#1 born 9/23/06 
  • Options
    It is hard not to be a little sad! Fwiw, the time in the helmet flew by and it got so much easier after a couple of days.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"