Parenting

If one piece of bread is moldy and the others

aren't is it safe to eat?

I was just about to make a grilled cheese and the two pieces I pulled out have mold. Ugh. The others don't though. Are they all contaminated now?

Stupid question I know.

Re: If one piece of bread is moldy and the others

• As long as you inspect each piece and no mold it should be fine, I've done that before!
    DS - June 2006 DD1 - November 2007 DD2 - August 2010
  • Throw it out. ?In bread the mold spores are microscopic. ?Once one piece of bread has mold on it, they all have mold on it, even if you can't see it yet. ?I wouldn't risk it.

Now, cheddar cheese, on the hand, you can just cut off and use the other part. ?

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I've had that happen a lot.  My little ones rarely eat bread so it gets moldy fast.  I have used the other part of the loaf quite often with no ill effects.  I will usually not use the ones that are in contact with the moldy pieces and then I toss the loaf and buy new.  I've done this for years because we are just not big bread eaters, yet when we do eat it we don't like it cold so I can't put it in the fridge.
  • I'm a food snob and won't eat leftovers that are over a day old, or meat that's been in the fridge for longer than 2 days....so I toss the loaf of bread if one slice is moldy (DH would eat it though).  I figure its probably JUST starting to grow on the other slices and I can't see it.  But that's just me.
  • I think it would be fine. What I do now, to avoid more moldy bread, is put the whole loaf in the freezer, and pull out a couple slices at a time as we need them. We're not big bread eaters.
    imageimage
  • You're not going to taste a difference, but the rest of the loaf is likely contaminated with mold spores, which can produce toxins. 

You'll likely be fine, but I'd avoid making a habit of it as the toxins can be hazardous.  I can tell you that if it were me, and I was really hungry, I'd totally eat the non moldy slices, but I wouldn't  serve them to DD. 

• I'd toss the whole loaf.

Like one PP said, I also freeze bread (refrigerating makes it stale) and use it as I need it without having to worry about mold.

• I wouldn't use it........
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"