C-sections

VBAC v. Scheduled C-Section

With my DS I went into labor at 39 weeks when my water broke.  After I got to the hospital my contractions slowed and they put me on pitocin. * I also had a Epidural, which could have slowed my labor.  My DS heartbeat fluctated from 80-180, and the doctors were worried that the cord was wrapped around his neck.  So I had an emergency c-section after being in labor for 13 hours.  It turns out he had a short umbilical cord and wasn't even in the birth canal.  I only make it to 7 cm.  This time around my OB is letting me decide whether to try for a VBAC or schedule my c-section.  I am worried that my labor won't progress and I'll end up having a csection anways.  Per my OB VBAC better for me that scheduled, but scheduled csection better than emergency.  My recovery from my csection went pretty well.  I am not planning on having any other children.  On the fence, they're are advantages & disadvantages to both.  Any feedback or past experience would be helpful.  Thanks ladies.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: VBAC v. Scheduled C-Section

• No advice but I'm in the same boat. My doc will offer a VBAC but advises against it bc chances of uterine rupture. I really don't know which way to go. I'm only 7 weeks and by my EDD, it'll only be 18mo since my c section.. I'm torn
    BabyName Ticker Lilypie Maternity tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I went c section. I had no burning need to have a vaginal delivery and I loved my c section the first time so I was more comfortable knowing what to expect.
  • Loading the player...
  • I assume that the factors with your son of the short umbilical cord are unlikely to be repeated? If so, I'd try for a VBAC personally. The ACOG confirms that trying for a VBAC is safe and appropriate and that a successful VBAC has fewer complications than a c/s. I had two c/s very reluctantly and although my RCS was relatively easy vs my first, it was still tough to recover from, especially with a toddler at home. And the risks of a c/s for maternal trauma and death were really scary to me since I had a toddler at home who needed me. Obviously it turned out fine, as the huge majority do, but it's something I considered when I was trying for a VBAC.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am in the exact same situation and will be watching this post. Only difference is that I might want a third baby which makes me lean toward a VBAC.

• I never felt passionately enough that I wanted a VBAC so I feared I would end up in an emergency c/s anyway. Also, my doc/hospital are not very pro- VBAC so RCS was the decision for me. No regrets. This 3rd one last week was my last- they tied my tubes (another benefit of having the RCS).

• My VBAC recovery was easier than my CS recovery. I still had to recover from it, and I had a second degree tear, but I was on my feet and feelng like myself much much sooner than I was after my CS.
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

•  

Kim22 said:
    I went c section. I had no burning need to have a vaginal delivery and I loved my c section the first time so I was more comfortable knowing what to expect.
    This!

• This is a very personal decision, some pick RCS and some pick VBAC.  You have to look at the stats and risks to both and decide what you are most comfortable with.  In most healthy pregnancies and women who fit the criteria for VBAC, VBAC is the safest option.  

I'm personally going to try for a natural VBAC the next time, it is what makes me feel most comfortable and it is the safest option for me.  I absolutely hated my c/s!       
    PPD/PPA Mom...it has been super hard, but I'm making it! Slow steps...
    Mom to Carter (6), and Calianne (1).  
    Proud VBAC, natural birth, breastfeeding, cloth diapering momma!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"