March 2014 Moms

DH used a primer with VOCs - so angry!

So we purposefully buy ZERO VOC paint/primer for the baby's nursery and DH is doing an amazing job of getting everything prepped... then I come into the nursery and have to leave immediately... because I'm overcome by the fumes from a primer he is using!   I'm asking him what primer he is using... something he picked up ... SO PISSED.  So, completely defeats the purpose of having Zero VOC paint if there is VOC primer underneath.  And the paint we bought has a primer in it... so it wasn't even needed!  And it's freezing or below here... so it's not like we can open the windows... and it doesn't matter because outgassing really only occurs when it is warm... which won't happen until the summer when baby should be in the room.  So now, do I not even put the baby in the room because of the toxins?!!

Re: DH used a primer with VOCs - so angry!

• Loading the player...
  • Even if a paint has low or zero VOC's there are still some toxins in the paint. The most "dangerous" times to be around are when the paint is actually drying, so just stay out of the room and let your husband do all the work. Baby will be fine.

IAmPregnant Ticker image VOTE on my Name List
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker 
    March Siggy Theme
  • WickedNE said:
    Take an hour and go out for some sushi for lunch while the poison fumigates.
    Yeah, my serious advice is open the windows after it's dry, put a towel under the door to keep the cold air in that room, and go visit someone for the day. Not that hard.
    I vote to do that even with noVOC paint, that's what we used and holy crap did it stink.  That shit was worse than normal paint.  Thanks, pregnancy super-sniffer!
  • Just teasing, not being mean.  PP's are right and you are overreacting!  As you know, these last weeks and months of discomfort are becoming unbearable and sometimes we need an outlet like a silly overreacting post about paint fumes.  For all I know, my parents painted with high VOC paint while I was lying in my crib. 
    March Siggy Challenge .. What I miss the most during pregnancy

image  image
       Pregnancy Ticker

• Also, just because something has a smell doesn't mean it has high VOCs.  We bought all low-VOC Valspar paint for our house and the smell was still intense.
    Good to know!
    March Siggy Challenge .. What I miss the most during pregnancy

image  image
       Pregnancy Ticker
  • klpjmd said:

Sorry, didn't realize all the mean people moved into this forum.  Don't worry, I won't post anything ever again.

You must not be from around here
    Bubba, born Jan. 2007 * Sissy, born Apr. 2009 * Baby Sister, born Feb. 2014
  • No one is being mean.  They're just teasing you.  I find it really helpful, actually, when these ladies let me (and others) know when we're overreacting.  It's so easy to get anxious about all things baby, especially for FTMs. 

We should start a thread about the things that have caused us to overreact during this pregnancy.  Eating lunchmeat to coloring hair to painting nails...  I'm pretty amazed all of our babies don't come out with tails and scales.
    I ate a poached egg yesterday. Super runny! I had ordered eggs benedict, and didn't think about it until they brought the food out. I got nervous, but still ate the first one. Then I got more nervous, and didn't eat the second one. AHHHHHH  

Mostly, I was pissed at myself for wasting the second egg. The baby is wiggling like crazy today, and we're both fine. I hope this doesn't cause the dreaded 3rd eye phenomenon that I've heard about ;)
  • We grind up pencil lead for our paint.. DS has been fine so far.. Not sure what op is upset for... I mean.. Unless op is huffing the paint then I know a good drug dealer..
    Sadly pencil lead is actually graphite and not lead lead. So clearly you've been doing it wrong. You need to find actual lead, melt it down and apply it directly to the walls. Mission accomplished.
    Hmm.. So like the sinkers in my dad's fishing stuff?
    That or some antique pewter should work just fine!
  • WickedNE said:
    Take an hour and go out for some sushi for lunch while the poison fumigates.
    don't forget to have a glass of wine with your sushi
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic&nImage and video hosting by TinyPic bsp;center;"
    >Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• My one request for yesterday's baby shower was my friend's white sangria. IT WAS DELICIOUS.
    baby boy: 3.19.2014
  • rockopera said:

My one request for yesterday's baby shower was my friend's white sangria. IT WAS DELICIOUS.

That sounds amazing. I had a virgin margarita at my shower on Saturday and I felt like I was cheating on Jose.

Me: 28  DH: 27
    TTC since 2011
    IVF #1 June 2013 DD born: 2/25/14
    IVF #2 January 2016 Double Transfer: 1/28/2016
    First Beta: 108 Second Beta: 360.3
    Twins EDD: 10/13/2016
  • Wait!!
    I'm not supposed to inhale the fumes?!
    But I'm all out of glue. :(

Guess I'll have to finish off that bottle of red wine instead.
  • Wait!! I'm not supposed to inhale the fumes?! But I'm all out of glue. :( Guess I'll have to finish off that bottle of red wine instead.
    Wait!! I'm not supposed to inhale the fumes?! But I'm all out of glue. :( Guess I'll have to finish off that bottle of red wine instead.
    I had a friend in the 4th grade who used to sniff glue. He was from Salt Lake City Utah.. Had just moved to town. One day he grabbed a pencil and stabbed the teacher and ran out of the school and into the local grocery store. No idea he was BSC till the day he snapped.

LOL... "Don't Sniff Glue: A Cautionary Tale"

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
  • Wait!!

what about those black Magnum markers? All the cool kids in high school used those. Or the canned air.
    OOOOOHHH!! What about the smelly color markers from school?!? The ones where the black one always smelled like an ass hole?

Best.markers.ever! Except for that ass hole black one. I'd choose white out before that bastard.
    Wait!!
    Our teacher used to send a different student to use the ditto machine (not sure if that's the proper name)

You had a sheet of paper with the carbon transfer...load it in (like a risograph ) then you hand crank to make copies.
    Had to do each page separately. The ink was alcohol based. We would make the copies (40 per class) and sniff them as we returned to the room.
    Yummy!!
  • Wait!!

what about those black Magnum markers? All the cool kids in high school used those. Or the canned air.
    OOOOOHHH!! What about the smelly color markers from school?!? The ones where the black one always smelled like an ass hole?

Best.markers.ever! Except for that ass hole black one. I'd choose white out before that bastard.
    Wait!!
    Our teacher used to send a different student to use the ditto machine (not sure if that's the proper name)

You had a sheet of paper with the carbon transfer...load it in (like a risograph ) then you hand crank to make copies.
    Had to do each page separately. The ink was alcohol based. We would make the copies (40 per class) and sniff them as we returned to the room.
    Yummy!!
    Ha! They did this before I entered kindergarten!

Those are the shit!
    --------------
    Lmao. I feel like you just implied I'm old. Lol.
    I was in grade 8 when we still used this.
    We also shared computers with 4 local schools. We got them for 2 months each.
    Now I FEEL old.

Um, who wants a 15 month old while I have a newborn?!?! :-SS
  • I may have flagged someone on accident while trying to open this post. Sorry! If someone spots it let me know and I'll come love tit it out :)
  • Wait!!

Wait!!

Yummy!!
    Ha! They did this before I entered kindergarten!

Those are the shit!
    --------------
    Lmao. I feel like you just implied I'm old. Lol.
    I was in grade 8 when we still used this.
    We also shared computers with 4 local schools. We got them for 2 months each.
    Now I FEEL old.

Um, who wants a 15 month old while I have a newborn?!?! :-SS
    Haha! Sorry I just have fond memories of helping my mom at our school before I entered kindergarten and she used to use that machine! It was only 20+ years ago -_o
    Ya. I think it was 1986 when I last used one. O_o (slightly more than 20 years ago). ;)

• Wait!! I'm not supposed to inhale the fumes?! But I'm all out of glue. :( Guess I'll have to finish off that bottle of red wine instead.
    I brought a pack of these to my nieces when i was babysitting, and they said "thanks for the markers", and kept them. I went home and cried that night... they are so hard to find these days and I loved having them around the house!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Who's saying 1986 is old? I got lost in the quote trees.

I was born in 85! Should I just buy adult diapers now???

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
  • Who's saying 1986 is old? I got lost in the quote trees.

I was born in 85! Should I just buy adult diapers now???

('86 what what)
    And yes! For after the baby drops you're gonna need them for all that jazz...and blood.
  • This thread was worth opening only for the calming tits ointment.

It's organic right?
    BFP#1 11/10* DS Born via Cesarean 7/11* BFP#2 EDD 1/31/14 *M/C 6/13* BFP #3 RCS 3/14/14
    Brothers!
    "I wish that I could bake a cake, made out of rainbows and smiles. And we would all eat it and be happy." 
  • kirotea said:

Guess I'm the old lady here ('84).

I see your '84 and raise you '83!
  • OMG youll be FINE. I bought low, not zero VOC paint and I painted my entire house. A little ventilation goes a long way... geeze. 
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yeah I am 83.... feeling old.
    and can we just OMG, KStar FINALLY learned how to GIF.image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"