July 2014 Moms
Options

Gender Reveal Party

2»

Re: Gender Reveal Party

• Options
    I don't have a strong opinion either way on reveal parties, but I don't really agree that no body cares about your baby's sex but you. I always get excited to hear about other people's baby. Maybe not strangers, but coworkers, friends, family. Plus if they didn't care why the heck is that always the first question out of people's mouths. Op if your family and you want one, I say go for it.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ps. Now I want better than sex cake!! Mmmmmmm
  • Options
    aliletz said:
    I say do what makes you happy! and btw really the rolling eyes gifs....rude. Just rude.

Oh, ali, I was going to GIF in response to this, but I just... you just... it's perfect. Good job.

• Options
    I say do what makes you happy! and btw really the rolling eyes gifs....rude. Just rude.

FTFY

image image
  • Options
    I hate "gender reveal" parties... I think they are just ridiculous. Like do people really need the validation to have everyone give up one of their weekend days and buy them presents? I'm not saying you are being that way but for people who throw themselves these parties I totally judge. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I love throwing parties and having excuses for them.  We didn't do a sex reveal party (even though I had amazingly awesome ideas not from Pinterest) for a bunch of reasons, like... people usually feel strange getting drunk around me now, not that many people even know I'm pregnant, etc.

That being said, I think they're HORRIBLY AWish if you already know the sex (which you won't), and/or are having gifts.  I am old school, but anybody who throws a party for themselves with gifts being involved is just wrong.
  • Options
    Aab7114 said:
    I don't have a strong opinion either way on reveal parties, but I don't really agree that no body cares about your baby's sex but you. I always get excited to hear about other people's baby. Maybe not strangers, but coworkers, friends, family. Plus if they didn't care why the heck is that always the first question out of people's mouths. Op if your family and you want one, I say go for it.

They're asking to be polite and make conversation because..... Nobody cares photo: NOBODY CARES tumblr_luf7oaDsH21qllm5m.gif
    One direction photo: One Direction gif onedirectiongifmacarenaey_zpsbdaf903f.gif
    DS born 3.12 
    DD born 7.14
  • Options
    TRS48 said:
    I hate "gender reveal" parties... I think they are just ridiculous. Like do people really need the validation to have everyone give up one of their weekend days and buy them presents? I'm not saying you are being that way but for people who throw themselves these parties I totally judge. 
    I've never heard of these being used as a gift-giving opportunity.  The three in my more immediate circle were just a small-ish dinner party hosted by the parents themselves and they did the cake.  It was a nice family (and a few close friends who were really involved) event where they chatted about the baby, the family's excitement, and about how everyone was doing.  I don't know about other people, but even as introverted as I am, I still enjoy seeing my family, and this was an opportunity for people to spend time together for a happy occasion.  My family really only meets up for funerals, so if we were finding out the sex, I can't say I wouldn't consider something like this.  Now, a gift-grab, I'll side-eye.  But I really can't see the problem with something so positive bringing people together.  

A side note- while I'm totally in the camp of using the correct verbiage, i.e., you find out the sex now, gender comes later, calling it a sex-reveal party just doesn't work.  I don't get lashy about someone calling it a gender reveal party to avoid Grandma showing up wearing leather and bearing a whip.  
    My sweet little munchkin! 
    8 lbs, 13 oz.  21" long

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    CandiMilCandiMil member
    edited January 2014
    DH and I will be having a reveal party, my SIL is throwing it for us and we are only inviting family. My family gets together regularly and everyone is very excited to find out what we are having. My sis, who is a videographer is also showing a video she made for us with my niece and nephew... We will be calling it a gender reveal as I agree with @sxymamakat that a sex reveal party is a no go for my grandma who once told my cousin that she was leaving her 4th of July event because she didn't want to be a part of their "beer party."

Anniversary

• Options

Aab7114 said:

They're asking to be polite and make conversation because.....
    Nobody cares photo: NOBODY CARES tumblr_luf7oaDsH21qllm5m.gif

Haha I get you there, but some people are as interested and excited as you. Some don't care and are being polite. I truly think my family is more excited to find out the sex than I am. That being said I wouldn't hold a party for people who wouldn't care. But for the OP it sounds like her family wants to have something like this.

• Options
    We arent finding out what the baby is until its born and I can promise you there are people that care about the sex more than we do. My aunts were arguing like crazy over what it is and my mom (seriously) tried to talk me into having the ultrasound technician send just her a message about it. I think with the right set of invitees something like this would go over just fine (but the idea of getting gifts is just bizarre to me. Dont you do a reveal so people can buy you specific boy/girl things at the shower?)
  • Options
    I have never heard of a "gender/sex reveal party being a gift-giving event. I personally love the idea! I plan to have one with my immediate family, we will eat dinner and cut a cake with colored frosting, nothing big. I see it as a time to get together to celebrate the coming baby! A family dinner with an exciting ending :-) It helps me to avoid the "you told his mom first" and allows you tell everyone at the same time. Plus I think it will make a good photo opportunity to add pictures to the baby book so LO can see how excited everyone was waiting for his or her arrival.
  • Options
    Aab7114 said:
    Aab7114 said:

They're asking to be polite and make conversation because..... Nobody cares photo: NOBODY CARES tumblr_luf7oaDsH21qllm5m.gif
    Haha I get you there, but some people are as interested and excited as you. Some don't care and are being polite. I truly think my family is more excited to find out the sex than I am. That being said I wouldn't hold a party for people who wouldn't care. But for the OP it sounds like her family wants to have something like this.
    I truly couldn't give a shit about the sex of my baby. My family is driving me nuts. if they could have managed a way to get me to an elective place early they would have. But they know that even if they offered to pay i wouldn't do it because i just don't care. 

Most people do not care about the sex of your baby. But occasionally you get freaking crazy people that do.  

My mom would throw a damn parade if i let her. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers image
    BFP: 11.09.13   EDD: 07.21.14 
    Baby Sylvia born 07.20.14
    5 lbs 14.8 oz | 20 1/4 inches

• Options
    I went to a "baby party" gone awry. The mom to be didn't get the color cake she wanted and you can fill in the blank...

I booked an elective ultrasound and my whole family comes to find out together. It's low key, but it's fun for the grandparents to see the ultrasound because they didn't have them done when we were born.

Go ahead and flame me. Reveals AND elective ultrasounds!
  • Options
    Big+Lil said:
    I went to a "baby party" gone awry. The mom to be didn't get the color cake she wanted and you can fill in the blank...
    Why would this mother EVER think that throwing this type of party was a good idea if she knew she had a 50% chance of freaking out?  Wow.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    We're doing the reveal as part of our shower (planned by a friend, but she was the one that suggested the idea). SO and I don't care either way, but our moms and other family members are driving us crazy. So we get our fun of waiting a little while longer while they get to make the big deal out of it they want to.. I consider it a win-win.
    I think that's a really cute idea especially if you don't care about getting gender neutral stuff.
    imageimageimage

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers">AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers 
    Formerly dlsexton
    BFP #1 Dec 2010 ~ Blighted Ovum Jan 2011 @ 11wks D&C Jan '11 & Mar '11
    BFP #2 July 2011 ~ Miss Amelia born 3/30/12 @ 41 weeks!
    BFP #3 July 2013 ~ M/C Aug 2013 @ 5.5 weeks
    BFP #4 Oct 2013 ~ Miss Lydia born 6/3/14 @ 36 weeks!

• Options
    I considered doing a gender Reveal party thing but I just have the time for it and I dont want to wait to tell people. I think I'll just text and facebook, whatever i can to tell everyone I know like right after the U/S. LOL
    Elijah James Due July 14
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    Sorry @salsera29 I'll get more into it next time around LMAO (long boring day at work so my witty responses are not as quick today hahahah)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"