Parenting
Options

I need help with a bike

DS will be 4 in a couple weeks and DH wants to get him a bike. I have ZERO clue where to even start looking. Does Target sell bikes?! I want to get him something decent to start using in the spring. I would imagine with training wheels but we're hoping he we'll take them off very shortly because he's been cruising with them for quite a while now. Is that unrealistic? When do kids ride with 2 wheels? 

Re: I need help with a bike

• Options
    We kind of want to surprise him and would rather not bring him to the store to measure him out. What do they mean by 16 inch, like where do I measure? 
    Toys r us has them separated into 3-4 year old or 5-7 year olds, which group would you chose? I feel like 5-7 is pushing it but I don't want him to grow out of it super fast
  • Options
    Thank you! I was afraid that 16 would be a bit big but others would be too small... 
    you've been very helpful @uconnhuskie007! I shall love tit you once more ;) 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have never bought a bike from a bike store, and probably won't ever.  I have never had an issue with quality, but maybe I am just one of the lucky ones.  Levi just got a 20" for his birthday (7) and it's a little too big for him, but the 16" was a little small, so hopefully he will be ok by summer.
            image image  image 
    To be loved, and to be in love
  • Options
    I would recommend getting a strider first - which is that bicycle with no pedals.   The kid will learn how to balance and ride a bicycle without even knowing it.
        There are tons of them used all over the place so getting one cheap is easy.   Training wheels are just a crutch and dont really teach kids anything other than how to ride a bicycle at a 45 degree angle.

Once they've mastered the strider, give them a bicycle and no learning required!

https://youtu.be/2XlsJM11T-k
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"