Parenting

I need help with a bike

DS will be 4 in a couple weeks and DH wants to get him a bike. I have ZERO clue where to even start looking. Does Target sell bikes?! I want to get him something decent to start using in the spring. I would imagine with training wheels but we're hoping he we'll take them off very shortly because he's been cruising with them for quite a while now. Is that unrealistic? When do kids ride with 2 wheels? 

Re: I need help with a bike

• We kind of want to surprise him and would rather not bring him to the store to measure him out. What do they mean by 16 inch, like where do I measure? 
    Toys r us has them separated into 3-4 year old or 5-7 year olds, which group would you chose? I feel like 5-7 is pushing it but I don't want him to grow out of it super fast
  • Thank you! I was afraid that 16 would be a bit big but others would be too small... 
    you've been very helpful @uconnhuskie007! I shall love tit you once more ;) 
  • Loading the player...
  • I have never bought a bike from a bike store, and probably won't ever.  I have never had an issue with quality, but maybe I am just one of the lucky ones.  Levi just got a 20" for his birthday (7) and it's a little too big for him, but the 16" was a little small, so hopefully he will be ok by summer.
            image image  image 
    To be loved, and to be in love
  • I would recommend getting a strider first - which is that bicycle with no pedals.   The kid will learn how to balance and ride a bicycle without even knowing it.
        There are tons of them used all over the place so getting one cheap is easy.   Training wheels are just a crutch and dont really teach kids anything other than how to ride a bicycle at a 45 degree angle.

Once they've mastered the strider, give them a bicycle and no learning required!

https://youtu.be/2XlsJM11T-k
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"