LGBT Parenting
Options

Needing Support

I'm needing some support from non-pregnant parents right now. I went to the doctors today for a routine visit and when asking questions was asked if I had any children. I told her no, but was expecting. She asked if I was pregnant and I answered telling her no my partner is. In reply she told me Oh, you're that kind of parent I pray for that child. I have never been so disrespected and discriminated against since I came out when I was 13. I know this is something we must deal with each day but I don't know how to handle the hurt and pain from this visit. 

Re: Needing Support

• Options
    Did this response come from a doctor's office staff member? First of all I am so sorry this happened. Secondly, if this was someone from the office (and it were me) I would address this comment with someone within that office immediately. Not only is this not acceptable it is also untrue. Those of us who are not currently carrying our children or that do not have a genetic tie are no less of a parent that our spouses or partners. It is important that your doctor's office remains an advocate for you and your family and this includes your emotions. I am so sorry this happened to you!

Queer coupled and having a BABY with the love of my life! Love my life and wouldn't have it any other way!
    First IUI 1/22/2013 BFN: 2/7/2013, Second IUI 2/21/2013 BFN: 3/9/2013, Third IUI 4/23/2013 BFN: 5/8/2013, Fourth IUI 5/24/2013 BFN: 6/7/2013, Fifth IUI 6/24/2013 BFN: 7/8/2013

C began IUI's
    7/23/2013 C's first IUI BFN, 8/21/2013 C's second IUI BFN , Took a break in September and October, 11/05/2013 C's 3rd IUI (TWW...we meet again...) BFN, Took off the month to switch to an RE. 01/01/2014 C's 4th IUI...BFP!!!!!!!! Beta #1- 17, Beta #2- 34, Beta #3-140....  6W Ultra-Sound Reveals nothing in Gestation Sack... Natural M/C at 7W, 2/3/2014

03/21/2014 IUI #10...BFP!!! Beta #1- 48, Beta #2- 416, Beta #3- 1018. GROW BABY GROW!!!

1st Ultrasound 4/22/2014 Baby Squints is PERFECT! Measuring at 6w2d with a heartbeat of 129. EDD: 12/12/14.

Ultrasound at 18 weeks on 7/14/2014. Baby is healthy and growing just as she should!

Check out my blog at: http://journeytoparenthoodandmakingmilk.blogspot.com/

• Options
    That's shocking and I'm sorry it happened to you. Do you have a network of LGBT friends or acquaintances who can recommend a LGBT friendly doctor in your area? It certainly won't take the hurt away from this experience, but may give you piece of mind moving forward.

And as the gestational parent of a new little boy, I can tell you that our little one knows (as much as an 8 week old can know) that he has two mommies. He and my wife already have a special kind of fun that does not involve me when they dance around the house together. Fears are natural, but when your child is here, it will all fall into place.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    AmandaG47AmandaG47 member
    edited January 2014
    Wow, that must have been just awful, I am so sorry you had to go through that. As a non-pregnant expecting mom I know that if that were me, I probably would have burst into tears on the spot! What a terrible thing for a doctor to say. I would also report it to her supervisor if I were you. I would add in the email that this is the reason you are finding a new doctor (and then find a new doctor).

I am really sorry, I know how emotional it can be on this side of thing and she was not only out of place but dead wrong. Hoping you have a better weekend ☺
    My name is A, I am wife to J.  After 7 months of ttc and one MC, we are expecting two baby girls in 2014!

• Options
    I just have to say that had a doctor or anyone in that kind of position said something like that to me, there would have been serious words. Not only is that NOT any of her business, it is unprofessional and disrespectful. I can guarantee that if this was said to my wife (who will be the non-carrying parent) there would hell to pay. 

I'm sorry that your doctor made this ridiculous statement to you, but do not let it go. Write a letter, write a review on the doctor, go to the office and discuss this with the doctor...make a statement! 

TTC our first. Married to, and madly in love with, my beautiful wife. Living with our fur baby and enjoying 19 nieces and nephews. 
    • DW and I have been tracking, preparing, getting medical testing since January 2013.
    • First Cycle: Unmedicated ICI w/ Donor Sperm 08/02/13: BFN
    • Second Cycle: Unmedicated ICI w/ Donor Sperm 09/11/13, 09/13/13, 09/15/13: BFN
    • Third Cycle: Unmedicated ICI w/ Donor Sperm: 10/13/13, 10/15/13, 10/17/13, 10/21/13: BFN
    • January 2014: Sonohysterogram shows excellent lining & tubes have no blockages
    • Fourth Cycle:  Monitored clomid cycle  w/ ICI's at home: 1/24/14 and 1/25/14. Ovulation verified:  BFN
    • Fifth Cycle: 02/2014 Femara 5mg with ovidrel trigger CD14: BFN
    • Taking a few months off to evaluate if we want to keep trying

• Options
    Thank you so much for all of your support. This comment didn't come from our OB but it came from my primary doctor. I immediately reported this to the Patient Representative, whom told me " We cannot give you any information regarding this matter due to confidentiality" I preceded to file a complaint with the Office of Civil Rights as there was a lot more that went on I'm just feeling too lazy to type it all. 
    Being in the LGBT community and now the LGBT parenting community is tough, but I wouldn't have it any other way. I know our child will love me and my partner just the same and will receive more love than any other child.  
  • Options
    @Flygirl1228 I love your suggestion about writing a letter and burning it. I did the same thing in my therapy and it was so therapeutic for me. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"