June 2014 Moms

Will you vaccinate your child?

MorganW24MorganW24 member
edited January 2014 in June 2014 Moms
We are discussing vaccinations and it's become quite the heated topic at our house. We can't be the only ones thinking about it so I wanted to get a feel for where the rest of you are at with it. Let's remember this topic has the potential to get very heated and respect others opinions even if they are not our own!

Will you vaccinate your child? 343 votes

We will vaccinate according to the CDC recommended guidelines
83% 288 votes
We will vaccinate on a delayed or limited schedule
11% 40 votes
We will not vaccinate at all
1% 4 votes
We have not decided yet
3% 11 votes

Re: Will you vaccinate your child?

• We have to keep up on vaccinations to have the baby in our daycare. I would still get them if the kids didn't go, I wouldn't want to risk the baby getting ill anyway.
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes, we will vaccinate. 

I'm not new. I just hate The Bump. 

• I don't mind spreading them out over more doctors visits, as long as they are still on schedule.  (i.e. 2 shots every other week instead of 4 at once).  But we'll see if he has any reactions to his initial vaccinations to determine if that's necessary.  We also will be doing the Hep B vaccine at the first doctor's office visit instead of at the hospital.  My midwife has confirmed there is no medical need to get it the first or second day of life. 

• mrsgerman said:
    Maybe ladyabigails movie theater husband can supply us with unlimited popcorn for this, cus we're going to need it

That was my first thought too, but I honestly don't think this is going to turn into anything.  I don't think there are many non-vaccers on this board.  (The flu shot being a separate issue).

• ElTrain5 said:

mrsgerman said:

Maybe ladyabigails movie theater husband can supply us with unlimited popcorn for this, cus we're going to need it
    That was my first thought too, but I honestly don't think this is going to turn into anything.  I don't think there are many non-vaccers on this board.  (The flu shot being a separate issue).

Agreed. Plus this has been done at least 3 times. (Not including flu shot queries)

imageBabyFruit Ticker image
  • Definitely will. Having a newborn and 2 in preschool.. Plus DD gets sick extremely easily and seriously.. Not even up for discussion.
  • wtfisup said:
    Source I value: 
    • Center for Disease Control
    • World Health Organization
    • Medical professionals from around the world who have witnessed the disastrous effects of not immunizing
    Sources I don't value: 
    • celebrities
    • special snowflakes 
    • special snowflakes who make blogs about their special feels

But what if it's a special snowflake with an indigo child? You listen to them, right?

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Absolutely vaccinating! I like PP's idea about seeing if there is a reaction and then spreading them out if need be. Provided there are no issues, we will definitely vaccinate according to CDC guidelines.
  • Absolutely vaccinating. I'd never forgive myself if my child became sick with something that could've been prevented.
  • ElTrain5ElTrain5 member
    edited January 2014
    We are vaccinating our son just like we did our daughter but he like her will not get all the shots in one sitting. I don't like the idea of 4 or 5 shots in one visit. I especially will not do the DTaP shot with any other ones and will separate DTap shot out due to the potential for seizures. My sister had seizures and since that shot has the potential to cause them, I delay them so they are separate, if this made sense.

Absolutely makes sense! :) And if you look at the CDC's recommended schedule, no where does it say you have to get all of the shots at once.  I think people typically do that because it works with the "infant doctor appointment" schedule, and they don't want to go back more than necessary, but as long as the kids have the vaccines by the week/month they are supposed to, I don't see a need to do 5-6 all on the same day.

Edit: word fail

• hampire said:
    @hampire - /ded, 

I'm not new. I just hate The Bump. 

• Our kids get them all, but on a modified schedule. We don't do more than two at a time. We save the MMR for after 2, and do that alone. We also get them yearly flu vaccines. Neither of my children have ever had a problem. I'd much prefer the vaccines over the illnesses. 
    DS 5 years old
    DD 2 years old
    {Baby GIRL due 6.1}

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We definitely vaccinate. It's not even a topic for discussion in our home.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie - (uREA)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • yes,,we did with dd#1 and will with #2

I didn't think I'd be opposed to a delayed schedule..but shots with a baby aren't a walk in the park so we get them all done when recommended vs dragging it out

• Absolutely vaccinating here!  No question. 

• We did DD's shots exactly as they recommended and she never got 5 or 6 at a time. In fact, I only remember her getting more than 2 twice: each time we added the flu shot. Maybe our doctor scheduled more frequently?
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • lclark79lclark79 member
    edited January 2014
    Yes, we will vaccinate. Without a doubt. image
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • gatewols said:
    We did DD's shots exactly as they recommended and she never got 5 or 6 at a time. In fact, I only remember her getting more than 2 twice: each time we added the flu shot. Maybe our doctor scheduled more frequently?
    I'm just going by my sister and some friends' stories.  I remember it being at least four, because I asked if they put them all in the same arm, and was told they split it up between arms/legs.  I believe there's one visit in particular....6 months maybe? where people tend to get the most at once.

• I'm legitimately confused as to why anyone wouldn't vaccinate their child if able.  Unless you are just ignorant of the fact that the whole 'vaccine=autism' thing has been disproved (a lot), then I just don't understand....
  • Pepper6 said:

I'm legitimately confused as to why anyone wouldn't vaccinate their child if able.  Unless you are just ignorant of the fact that the whole 'vaccine=autism' thing has been disproved (a lot), then I just don't understand....

The debate at our house is about what's necessary and what's overkill. For example the Hep B vaccination. On the manufactures label it recommends the vaccination for people who are sexually active and not using protection and for those who are or have been exposed to iv drug users. Because our baby is none of those things we will choose not to have that vaccination given.
  • Yes, this was never even up for debate in our house.  We'll vaccinate per schedule.
  • @pepper6: I have actually heard people say that they don't see the need because these diseases are so rare now.

Which is kind of like saying you're not going to eat again because you don't feel hungry right after a big breakfast.

But you're correct: The only reason is pure, deliberate ignorance.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Luna C said:

@pepper6: I have actually heard people say that they don't see the need because these diseases are so rare now.

Which is kind of like saying you're not going to eat again because you don't feel hungry right after a big breakfast.

Some of us have chosen not to vaccinate according to the standard guidelines after months of research on both sides of the argument. We made our choices based off current evidence based studies and the recommendations of our pediatrician. I don't think this makes me ignorant in the slightest. I would argue I've spent more time researching and searching accurate information than a lot of parents that choose to vaccinate simply because of cdc recommendations.
  • ElTrain5ElTrain5 member
    edited January 2014
    MorganW24 said:
    I'm legitimately confused as to why anyone wouldn't vaccinate their child if able.  Unless you are just ignorant of the fact that the whole 'vaccine=autism' thing has been disproved (a lot), then I just don't understand....
    The debate at our house is about what's necessary and what's overkill. For example the Hep B vaccination. On the manufactures label it recommends the vaccination for people who are sexually active and not using protection and for those who are or have been exposed to iv drug users. Because our baby is none of those things we will choose not to have that vaccination given.
    As an adult who has a terrible phobia of shots....I'll probably do all the shots I can as a child so LO doesn't have to worry about deliberately going in and getting them done as an adult. Edit: Speaking of which...does anyone know when they added Hep A as a childhood vaccine? I missed my second dose due to being KU, but now I'm wondering if I got it as a child? I know they had just started recommending the Hep B series...so if it was before that, I probably got it already...my mom can't remember and our old pediatrician is closed down.

MorganW24 said:

@pepper6: I have actually heard people say that they don't see the need because these diseases are so rare now.

Some of us have chosen not to vaccinate according to the standard guidelines after months of research on both sides of the argument. We made our choices based off current evidence based studies and the recommendations of our pediatrician. I don't think this makes me ignorant in the slightest. I would argue I've spent more time researching and searching accurate information than a lot of parents that choose to vaccinate simply because of cdc recommendations.
    Okay...but what in your research did you find was significant enough to warrant not protecting your children from painful, deforming, deadly diseases?
  • hampire said:
    You intend to get hep b eventually though right? It's a bodily fluid disease if your kids come in contact with blood, saliva or sexual fluids of an infected person they have the potential for infection. According to the cdc 30% of the newly infected are children.
    Please correct me if I'm wrong here....but I believe the reason that statistic is so high is due to the fact that it can be transmitted at birth from mother to baby....not because infants/children are at high risk for contracting it after being born.

• hampire said:

MorganW24 said:

Pepper6 said:

You intend to get hep b eventually though right? It's a bodily fluid disease if your kids come in contact with blood, saliva or sexual fluids of an infected person they have the potential for infection. According to the cdc 30% of the newly infected are children.
    At this point we are not 100% decided on which vaccinations we will give. We do plan on spacing the ones we do give out more than the traditional guidelines recommend. With Hep B transmission is not like a cold that you can catch with a cough or sneeze in the air so we feel good about delaying it until we are more comfortable with the potential side effects. Our biggest concern is swamping LO's body with a bunch of diseases (dead or live) at such a young age.
  • MorganW24 said:

LOL.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Pepper6 said:
    MorganW24 said:

Okay...but what in your research did you find was significant enough to warrant not protecting your children from painful, deforming, deadly diseases?

I'm more curious what information she thinks she has that is somehow better than the body of knowledge collected by the CDC and every pediatric health authority.

I bet it was a really awesome blog.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Pepper6 said:

MorganW24 said:

Luna C said:

We have read multiple books on the pros and cons of vaccinating as well as had several conversations with our doctor about potential side effects, how vaccinations are produced, and what's inside of a vaccine. We will vaccinate our child with some things because the pros out weigh the cons but with others that's not the case. We have chosen to do a delayed schedule in which we wait longer to vaccinate and do so much slower than what is the norm.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"