June 2014 Moms

Will you vaccinate your child?

Re: Will you vaccinate your child?

• MorganW24 said:
    I'm legitimately confused as to why anyone wouldn't vaccinate their child if able.  Unless you are just ignorant of the fact that the whole 'vaccine=autism' thing has been disproved (a lot), then I just don't understand....
    The debate at our house is about what's necessary and what's overkill. For example the Hep B vaccination. On the manufactures label it recommends the vaccination for people who are sexually active and not using protection and for those who are or have been exposed to iv drug users. Because our baby is none of those things we will choose not to have that vaccination given.
    Are you planning on spacing them out or skipping some like Hep B? My only worry with something like Hep B would be....what if my kid has unprotected sex at 12 or 13? Obviously it's not something I hope would happen...but it could. Same thing with drugs....you hope they never experiment, but what if they did? If you are just spacing them out.. then disregard :)

• ElTrain5 said:

MorganW24 said:

Pepper6 said:

I'm legitimately confused as to why anyone wouldn't vaccinate their child if able.  Unless you are just ignorant of the fact that the whole 'vaccine=autism' thing has been disproved (a lot), then I just don't understand....

The debate at our house is about what's necessary and what's overkill. For example the Hep B vaccination. On the manufactures label it recommends the vaccination for people who are sexually active and not using protection and for those who are or have been exposed to iv drug users. Because our baby is none of those things we will choose not to have that vaccination given.

Are you planning on spacing them out or skipping some like Hep B? My only worry with something like Hep B would be....what if my kid has unprotected sex at 12 or 13? Obviously it's not something I hope would happen...but it could. Same thing with drugs....you hope they never experiment, but what if they did? If you are just spacing them out.. then disregard :)

Most we are just planning on spacing out. There will be a few we pass on altogether. Hep B is one we will most likely wait on until baby is 7 or 8.
  • Loading the player...
  • This is something that my DH and I have done a lot of research on and both feel very VERY strongly about. Vaccinating according to the guidelines.

BabyFruit TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We are on a delayed schedule due to family history. This is something I have discussed with my sister (my older nephew is the history I speak of). At this time we plan to use her pediatrician (who helped create the schedule) and follow the same timing as my youngest nephew. Not skipping any, just limiting what is given when, and it really just turns into more doctors visit than anything else.

My oldest nephew is immuno compromised as well. We do not know if this is related to his reactions to vaccines, and the doctors are not willing to correlate the two. I vaccinate, as I know how scary it is when you CANT vaccinate. On the other side, I know how scary the side effects are as well, and even if its already small chance of occurring, if having to make more doctors trips is can lower this risk further, I would rather be inconvenienced.
  • Is this a real question? Of course we're vaccinating. 
    Munchkin born 11/22/11
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pipsqueak born 6/9/14

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • MorganW24 said:
    MorganW24 said:

@pepper6: I have actually heard people say that they don't see the need because these diseases are so rare now.

Which is kind of like saying you're not going to eat again because you don't feel hungry right after a big breakfast.

But you're correct: The only reason is pure, deliberate ignorance.

Some of us have chosen not to vaccinate according to the standard guidelines after months of research on both sides of the argument. We made our choices based off current evidence based studies and the recommendations of our pediatrician. I don't think this makes me ignorant in the slightest. I would argue I've spent more time researching and searching accurate information than a lot of parents that choose to vaccinate simply because of cdc recommendations.
    Okay...but what in your research did you find was significant enough to warrant not protecting your children from painful, deforming, deadly diseases?
    We have read multiple books on the pros and cons of vaccinating as well as had several conversations with our doctor about potential side effects, how vaccinations are produced, and what's inside of a vaccine. We will vaccinate our child with some things because the pros out weigh the cons but with others that's not the case. We have chosen to do a delayed schedule in which we wait longer to vaccinate and do so much slower than what is the norm.
    And what in this information did you find that made you decide that the risk of these diseases are more acceptable than the risk of the vaccinations?

I'm not trying to be snarky, but like in my OP, based on my own research on this topic, I just do not understand what information could prompt you to take your chances with terrible and possibly deadly diseases over the very small risk of vaccines???
  • I'm a sheep. I do what my pediatrician says and I don't question it. I'm not medically trained.

That said, my kids have seen the same pediatrician since they were born and I can't recall them ever getting more than two jabs at any given appointment.

The only thing I don't do is flu vaccines. I don't get them, bf doesn't get one, kids don't get one.
  • ElTrain5 said:
    MorganW24 said:
    Or if they are raped? i don't think a rapist is going to slap a condom on and be like "lolz wait a sec while i roll this rubber on, i don't want you to get hep b since your mom and dad researched and think you won't be exposed to it. i really care if you get diseases"
    Or coming into contact with a transmittable bodily fluid if they are molested...again, a horrible thing to think about...but it's a crazy world out there.

• MommyP710 said:
    joules235 said:
    ElTrain5 said:
    MorganW24 said:
    Or if they are raped? i don't think a rapist is going to slap a condom on and be like "lolz wait a sec while i roll this rubber on, i don't want you to get hep b since your mom and dad researched and think you won't be exposed to it. i really care if you get diseases"
    I mostly agree with you but I also think condom usage during rape is on the rise due to the extremely high chance of the leaving DNA behind. With all the advances in DNA testing its getting easier to retrieve and test trace DNA. Its an awful topic to talk about but if the fear of being caught makes a rapist wear a condom that is probably a good thing. It would probably make them harder to catch but would decrease the risk of disease and pregnancy for the victim.
    OK this part of the debate is getting weird.
    Yyyyyeah... I feel like maybe condoms aren't the point here. 

I'm not new. I just hate The Bump. 

• We'll do the CDC schedule except for the first HepB shot. Rather than doing it at birth, we'll be waiting about a month until any jaundice has cleared and BFing is well established. Other than that, completely on schedule :)

BFP#2:  EDD 2/11/14, MMC confirmed 7/15/13 (growth stopped at 6 weeks), D&C @ 12 weeks 7/25/13

• @pepper6: you are right. Some of them are horrible terrible diseases. But the chances of catching some of them are far less than the chance of a serious side effect caused by a vaccination. Those are the vaccinations we will choose to skip or seriously consider before doing.
  • rainbowdashhrainbowdashh member
    edited January 2014
    At my daughter's one year appointment, they wanted to give her 6 vaccinations. I think that's way too many at once. I've never been given more than 3 at once, why would I do that to a baby? That said, we do selectively vaccinate. I will probably delay some for this baby. Definitely hep B until at least 2 months, but maybe later than that. We didn't do rotavirus or chickenpox and she hasn't had hep A yet. Probably next month.

ETA: I don't understand not vaccinating at all. That's a risk I'm not willing to take.
  • MorganW24 said:
    @pepper6: you are right. Some of them are horrible terrible diseases. But the chances of catching some of them are far less than the chance of a serious side effect caused by a vaccination. Those are the vaccinations we will choose to skip or seriously consider before doing.
    To which diseases are you referring?  

I don't have time to look it up right now, but someone correct me if I'm wrong that there was recently a large measles outbreak somewhere due to a lot of people assuming that they didn't need to vaccinate anymore because of how low the disease rates were.  So obviously, they didn't vaccinate, someone came around with measles, and voila...outbreak of horrible, preventable disease....
  • Not doing rotavirus and chickenpox, do other people find that insane? Or hep A? I'm curious if people think I'm crazy for choosing not to do those or delaying until my kids are older. The pediatrician was more concerned that she get other vaccines over the ones she hasn't had.
  • Alrighty, this is too tame...what do you folks think about the HPV vaccine? :)

• Absolutely vaccinating because it not only protects my children and family but others, as well. I take great issue with the fact that children who aren't vaccinated can catch these horrible diseases and spread them to other children and adults with compromised immune systems. For example, children and adults with leukemia, those who don't have a choice. This is a good read if you're interested in how something like the measles can affect a child with Leukemia:

https://www.voicesforvaccines.org/when-its-not-a-choice-measles-and-leukemia/

This is my gripe two. I don't even want to fly, etc. With my babies until they are fully vaccinated. I sorry that they will catch something from an unvaccinated person before they are able to be vaccinated.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Our 3 Precious Angels That Left Us Too Soon
    BFP #2-EDD 07/05/13 - Tater and Tot passed at 12w3d. D&C 1/17/13
    BFP #3-EDD 12/19/13 - Peanut passed at 9w1d. D&C 05/31/13

Diagnosed with Hypothyroid 05/20/13 

BFP #4 - 09/22/13 - DD#2 born 05/27/14

All Alers Welcome!

imageimage

• Ladies, at the end of the day we all get to make the choices we feel are best for our children. No one is going to feel exactly the same way about ANY of the parenting choices we make whether it's about vaccines or breastfeeding or parenting styles etc. If you make the choice to vaccinate your child or not it is strictly your choice based off what you believe is best. What's right for our family isn't going to be exactly the same as what's right for your family.
  • Do you think we could heard all the non-vaccinated people together so they don't infect the rest of us? They have peanut free tables at schools, how's about non-vaxed schools and communities. I guess a gal can dream. ;)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • ElTrain5 said:

Alrighty, this is too tame...what do you folks think about the HPV vaccine? :)

Well I was a giant hoar before bf and had hpv, so I'm all for vaccinating against it!!
  • lclark79 said:

Do you think we could heard all the non-vaccinated people together so they don't infect the rest of us? They have peanut free tables at schools, how's about non-vaxed schools and communities. I guess a gal can dream. ;)

If you choose to vaccinate your child then you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

• rainbowdashhrainbowdashh member
    edited January 2014
    hampire said:

Not doing rotavirus and chickenpox, do other people find that insane? Or hep A? I'm curious if people think I'm crazy for choosing not to do those or delaying until my kids are older. The pediatrician was more concerned that she get other vaccines over the ones she hasn't had.

I guess that would depend on if you aren't getting them ever or just delaying. Shingles is a pretty shitty disease to get just because your mom didn't think chicken pox was that bad. ( Yes vaccinated people sometimes still get shingles but it's far less painful for those who are.)
    I think I will leave it up my children for chicken pox. From my understanding, they can get the shot later in life to help reduce the risk of shingles.

ETA: I am not completely sure what I will do regarding chickenpox though. I know it's a school requirement, so chances are once she's ready to start school I will get her the shot.
  • It's been a while, but I remember having to bring in my vaccination record to be able to enroll in school and if you were missing one, they had a nurse on campus to give you one otherwise you were sent home.  Do they not do this anymore?
  • Pepper6 said:
    It's been a while, but I remember having to bring in my vaccination record to be able to enroll in school and if you were missing one, they had a nurse on campus to give you one otherwise you were sent home.  Do they not do this anymore?
    I think so... My son isn't in school yet but preschool requires proof of vaccination. I'm trying to get back into college and they also require proof of vaccination, including chickenpox! I had to go to the doctor and have my blood drawn to prove that I had chickenpox as a child. (Titer test?)
    imageBabyFruit Ticker image
  • MorganW24 said:
    Do you think we could heard all the non-vaccinated people together so they don't infect the rest of us? They have peanut free tables at schools, how's about non-vaxed schools and communities. I guess a gal can dream. ;)
    If you choose to vaccinate your child then you shouldn't have anything to worry about.
    My child has to be vaxed on a delayed schedule. There is no way around it. What do you suggest he do?

I'm not new. I just hate The Bump. 

• Here is a article I just read on vaccination.
    I will be doing it as doctor recomends. I did it with my first 2 children.
    https://www.mamamia.com.au/social/vaccination-growing-up-unvaccinated/
  • Pepper6 said:

It's been a while, but I remember having to bring in my vaccination record to be able to enroll in school and if you were missing one, they had a nurse on campus to give you one otherwise you were sent home.  Do they not do this anymore?

Yes, but unfortunately super special people write letters of fake religious exemption and get through on that.
    DS 5 years old
    DD 2 years old
    {Baby GIRL due 6.1}

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"