Dads & Dads-to-be

Winter storm/vortex

How is everyone after the storm/vortex this week?  I know David Stamps is in LA and therefore didn't really have to deal with much, but I know we have several dads in the midwest (myself included) and was wondering how everyone did/is doing?

We survived.  The state essentially closed for 2 1/2 days, but things are getting back to normal... roads are still slick, it is still cold as hell, but we survived the whole thing without losing power or any kind of major issue for us.  The upside was on Sunday as the snow was falling, it wasn't too cold, so my oldest got to really enjoy the snow for the first time... made a snow angel, helped me build a snowman and shovel the driveway and we had a little snowball fight.

Re: Winter storm/vortex

• Outside of the Packers loss, we are all good here in Milwaukee.  Both cars started up fine, and wife and son are back to school.

4 people died in our metro area due to the cold.  At its coldest, we were registering -15 with a wind chill of -45.

• I think we were up to 3 or 4 deceased due to the cold as well.  I think we were only 1 degree warmer as our lowest here in Indiana.
  • Loading the player...
  • I am sure that the Colts win helped warm you up a little, @Coltsdad.  That was almost as unreal as the Buffalo comeback in 1993.

You guys got way more snow than we did this time, though.

• Yeah, I was watching the game on DVR... turned it off after Luck's 1st INT of the 2nd half, but something compelled me to turn it to the live game to see if anything changed and they had scored two touchdowns... I watched from there on out.  I should know by now not to give up on Andrew Luck and this Colts team after the last 2 seasons... I guess deep down I knew not to, which is why I checked the score instead of bailing out altogether.
  • Pretty cold here in CT but nothing like you guys got in the Midwest! Yesterday the high was 9 degrees. I'm just glad the twins aren't here yet! Wife is 28 weeks and I'm hoping when they come they won't have to deal with the bitter cold!
  • Shit, it was -18 today when I was driving into work.  That was a lower temp than any of the previous three days.  Unreal!!

• It was cold here but not too bad.  I made it easy for my wife and picked up the child during he coldest period so my wife didn't have to leave the house.

Last night coming home, found out that we had a broken water line.  They are fixing it this evening.  One of the bad things about living on the dead end portion of a dead end street.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I dont know how you guys do it.  Im not sure that I would be able to hack it if the weather was really bad and the power was going off and on.  I guess in some ways it would make it easier because there is a always something bigger than your current situation going on....

I do love California for the weather - winter time is always the best sunrises and sunsets too....
  • Ratpasta said:
    I dont know how you guys do it.  Im not sure that I would be able to hack it if the weather was really bad and the power was going off and on.  I guess in some ways it would make it easier because there is a always something bigger than your current situation going on....

I do love California for the weather - winter time is always the best sunrises and sunsets too....

My father and his wife moved out to Monterey 20 years ago.  While he certainly does not miss the winters here, there is alot about the midwest that he misses.  The fall season is one of those, and the rebirth of life in the spring is pretty special too.

Me, I hate winter, and I would move to a warmer climate in a second.  The only thing keeping us here is family.

• For me, I have tried the South (Florida and Oklahoma) but can't stand hot weather at all.  I also do need forests and changing seasons. 

I also have lived in Washington State, a ferry ride away from Seattle.  That was even more depressing than where I currently live.  Might have been that I was hazy grey and underway during the sunny times of Washington State.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"