Breastfeeding
Options

What do I do? (Small nips vs. pump flanges)

So I am getting ready to start pumping soon to store up some milk in the freezer, since DH and I are going to introduce a bottle. That way DH can help with feeds and I can have my parents watch her when we want a date night or something. So I went to open up the parts for my new pump (a Medela double electric pump. I don't know what style it is. I got it through my insurance and it doesn't say what it is on it.) and I checked the size of the flanges. What is a girl with smaller nipples supposed to do?! The flanges it came with are 24mm and they are WAY too big for me, but the only size smaller is 21mm and I don't think that is going to be small enough. Any recommendations?
Anniversary

Re: What do I do? (Small nips vs. pump flanges)

• Options
    Try them. If it's uncomfortable, get the smaller size. I use the smaller size and it made a big difference in comfort.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    TTC# 1 since 5/10
    Me:34 Type 1 Diabetes, Ankylosing Spondylitis, Hypothyroid DH:35 Perfect
    DX: Unexplained IF
    Many IUI's with various meds all BFFN
    IVF #1 11/11 canceled due to OHSS
    IVF #2 Feb/March 2012 ET of 2 on day 3 4/7 BFP! 5/1 u/s blighted ovum
    IVF #3 July 2012 ET of 3 on day 3 7/24 BFP!
    Healthy baby girl born at 36w4d on 3/9/13

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    TTC #2
    IVF #4 May/June 2014 ER 6/4 18R 8M 8F ET 6/9 1 blast, 2 frosties
    Beta 6/18 BFFN

FET of 2 blasts 7/24...BFP!
    Healthy baby girl born at 36w3d on 3/17/15

TTC#3
    IVF #5 June 2018- PGS planned, no surviving embryos
    IVF #6 August 2018- ET of 2 on day 3 - Chemical pregnancy
    IVF #7 August 2019-....?
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ok, thanks ladies! I hadn't tried using them yet. Based on the little picture of how the flanges are supposed to fit in the "how-to" booklet I had assumed they wouldn't work right, since they definitely don't fit like the diagram says they should. :)
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I also have small nipples, but they get quite large when I pump! I was shocked the first time I pumped! I thought I would need the 21mm flanges, but ended up needing the 27mm ones! The thing that stinks is that I have small breasts, so I frequently lose suction because the flange itself is also larger with the 27mm.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"