July 2014 Moms
Options

Lifting 50lb client - Your thoughts?

I am a Social Worker but have a social work/nursing type of job working with those who have special needs.

My job is usually a "no lift" policy but at one of my job sites I have a client who is just under that weight qulification to have lifts put in.... Therefore her workers are required to lift her when needed. She is 50lbs.

When I asked my midwife, she said no right away.

I would only be lifting this person twice per shift, 2-3 times per week. A simple transfer from wheelchair to bed and she is able to weight bare somewhat.

Do you think this is a big deal? Obviously I want the best for baby but I'm also realistic and think of parents (or me for the next babe) who have kids around that size who you can't avoid lifting from day to day. If lifting this person is an "absolute no" I would be losing many hours of work (therefore getting a smaller maternity leave benefit) as I would have to forfeit night shifts (single staffed at night).

Your thoughts/ opinions welcome... Thank you!

Re: Lifting 50lb client - Your thoughts?

• Options
    Unless you have had prior weight lifting limits, I'd say no. My doc told me to refrain from lifting anything over 25lbs. If your doc told you no then you 

BFP#1: 08/30/12 EDD 04/30/12 m/c 09/04/12 6wks
    BFP#2: 01/27/13 EDD 10/06/13 missed m/c 02/25/13 9wks
    BFP#3: 10/30/13 EDD 07/05/14 Our little dude was born on 07/10/14 @ 2:19p <3

• Options
    If your MW said no already, I would likely follow her recommendation. Is lifting 50lbs something you already do regularly? If not, now isn't a good time to start. Parents lifting their children do so on a regular basis so they're used to it.
    One direction photo: One Direction gif onedirectiongifmacarenaey_zpsbdaf903f.gif
    DS born 3.12 
    DD born 7.14
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yes - lifting up to 50lbs in my job is normal for me ... Been doing for 3 years now.
  • Options
    Bedside nurses are asked to move bedridden adults who cannot hold any of their own weight. I would have no issue moving a 50 lb person who can bear some of their own weight. It's also not like you are straight picking him or her up. It seems like you are doing transfers, which is totally different.

I'm all about listening to your providers, but I think you should have an honest conversation with your MW about the fact that this is part of your job and you don't have a choice at this time.

TTC #1 since 10/2012.
    BFP#1 11/28/12, MC, BFP #2 CP
    BFP #3 10/21/2013, EDD 7/3/2014
    Beta #1 (4W6D): 1768 Beta #2 (5W1D): 5255
    1st US at 6W4D HB of 112 BPM!

1/20/2014: IT'S A GIRL!

6/30/2014: Happy birthday baby M!

• Options
    If it's something you are used to lifting I think you should be fine. My daughter is 45lbs and I lift her on a regular basis. If you aren't used to lifting that much weight I wouldn't start now.
  • Options
    I am sure I lift 50+ pounds almost daily at my job. My doctor hasn't mentioned any weight-lifting restrictions and I am used to this level of activity. I would think that if you are routinely doing transfers with this client you would be fine. I would for sure have another convo with your NP about this. Maybe once she realizes you do this on a regular basis she will tell you it's fine. It would not really go well with my job if I had a weight-restriction order. We are required to be able to lift 30 lbs (even though everyone lifts more on a very frequent basis). Good luck!
  • Options
    I agree with Panther, especially if she can bear some weight. Please make sure to use proper body mechanics. I lifted what I thought was a light 80 lb woman who decided not to bear any weight that was the beginning of the end of my back. Just be smart about it.
    imageimageimage

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers">AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers 
    Formerly dlsexton
    BFP #1 Dec 2010 ~ Blighted Ovum Jan 2011 @ 11wks D&C Jan '11 & Mar '11
    BFP #2 July 2011 ~ Miss Amelia born 3/30/12 @ 41 weeks!
    BFP #3 July 2013 ~ M/C Aug 2013 @ 5.5 weeks
    BFP #4 Oct 2013 ~ Miss Lydia born 6/3/14 @ 36 weeks!

• Options
    I was dead lifting 155lbs the other day...I can lift heavier but I am cutting back due to pregnancy. I've never heard of not lifting more than 50lbs unless there was something wrong. But, if your MW said not to, I'd follow her advice.
    BabyFruit Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"