Special Needs

IEP/504 School Placement Question.

Princess_LilyPrincess_Lily member
edited December 2013 in Special Needs
We had a private evaluation completed with a doctor who specializes in ADHD, Anxiety, LDs and ASD. He also tested DS's education placement, if he was behind, average or above for his age as well as his IQ.

With the evaluation complete, what is the next step to prep for public school kindergarten? Florida FDLRS said to just provide the evaluation report, which is fine, but I don't want to be unprepared for any meetings that will come up - is there a book to help us with this journey of what to expect?

I'm not sure if he will be receiving an IEP or a 504, but we want as smooth of a transition as possible.
photo notebook.jpg 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers 
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: IEP/504 School Placement Question.

• Princess_LilyPrincess_Lily member
    edited December 2013
    In Florida, quality does vary, yes. In our area, we have (2) 9/10 (grading of state test scores), one is a charter but is well known in bumping out many special ed children and place them in the regular public school (K-8th grade), which is 9/10 too. This school is overpopulated (with classroom trailers), so as far as education I'm not sure how DS will fair.

Many parents in our area (and within 20mi) will pull their children and place them into private schools to get lower-ratio classes and more one-on-one attention.

DS did get dx'd, but there needs to be one class observation before testing is complete. So far, there are signs of ADHD, immaturity & social skill issues, as well as defiance issues but he isn't saying if its ODD yet, just "defiance." They think he would fair well in a class of peers of his own age, but as I explained to the doctor, I 100% agree but in our experience, there is zero tolerance for DS behavior in private preschools...its annoying. I held him back from EI, getting private help done and doing a few activities a week, and while its been wonderful in helping DS he isn't in a school of peers his age for a few hours several times a week - which would help with social skills.

Since 2.5yo we have attempted to place DS in preschool, private preschools, there arent public preschools in our district. There were a total of 3... and before being asked to leave them allD S stayed in one for 3mo, one for 2 weeks, and one for 2 days. After trying so much, we decided to stop (to avoid anxiety in schools), focus on his delays in therapy, and also seek further evaluations with a doctor - which is where we are now.

DS does have speech issues, but they are regarding pronunciation, as the doc also evaluated his speech and the findings show kindergarten level for verbal communication skills, so I'm not sure if he would even qualify for school speech therapy (IEP).
    photo notebook.jpg 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • You should qualify for an iep with artic issues (or should push for it). My ds has one which started on his third birthday and he also had no delays in language.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • edited December 2013
    Forgot to add the doctor evaluating him is a great source of what kinds of things you should include in his iep and skills he should be working on/accommodations he will need to be successful. He can write a letter on your behalf. Of course it's no guarantee you'll get what you want especially in a school that seems to be overcrowded but it's a good starting point.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We went into 5K wanting an IEP.  We were denied even though we had all the documentation.  Our issue was that DS is well medicated for his anxiety and ADHD.  It took months of figuring out the right combo meds.  It was horrible on the whole family finding the right meds since they all have negative side effects.  I won't sugar coat that.  With the right meds DS went from being below/Ave in class to high performing  (between 4K and 5K).  He is not medicated when he gets home from school so explaining to the school how he is without meds was a nightmare.  We have a 504 now.  It was just getting implemented this month finally.  I have to stay on top of it.  I had to find patience with the school. That was hard too.  I am only a few weeks into this.  So far I am glad he has the 504 as an IEP can cause difficulties with students that are average/above in school performance down the road.  At least here it can since a child is special ed with an IEP even if it is not for learning struggles.  Gook luck.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• -auntie- said:

Could you expand on this? This sounds like the sort of rote bullshit school adminstrators use to try to scare or flatter parents out of services. 

Aside from the occasional charter school attempting to use an IEP to decline enrollment to a student with an IEP, I have never seen an IEP harm a bright  child's ability to get an appropriate education. I know kids with near perfect SATs who had IEPs through high school. I know one genius whose school delivered college level physics and math to his middle school self contained classroom.

It's important to remember that special education is a service. It is not a place and it is not a state of being. I'm pretty breezy about language, and sometimes don't use person first when writing here, but "a child is special ed" is pretty offensive to many.  

It probably is BS that the admin is saying.  We have realized that our district is not good for children with special needs.  We have also thought about sending him to school without meds, but he doesn't like it.  He wears a patch and once in awhile it comes off.  He will come home crying because he gets in trouble.  We have addressed this issue as well.  I am pretty jaded on this whole process since our admins at school were not on board and we had to fight so hard. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"