TTC After a Loss
Options

CoQ10 and DHEA?

I met with a new RE yesterday (we're moving) and she wants me to start on CoQ10 and DHEA ASAP. If you take these, how much do you take and where do you find them to be cheapest? Also, any side effects? She wrote: Vitamin D 1000mg per day CoQ10 300mg twice per day DHEA 25mg 2-3 times per day TIA!
BFP#1 1/31/11 ~ CK came on her due date, 10/10/11!
BFP#2 11/20/12, EDD 7/30/13 ~ heard heartbeat at 6w2d ~ mmc discovered at 8w
1st medicated cycle ~ 6/11/13 ~ Clomid ~ BFN
2nd medicated cycle ~ 7/12/13 ~ Clomid and trigger shot ~ BFN
SHG on 8/13/13 ~ uterus looked good!
Diagnosed with DOR on 8/16/13 ~ AMH 0.27 ~ repeat AMH 0.19
3rd medicated cycle ~ 8/9/13 ~ Femara and trigger shot ~ BFN
4th medicated cycle ~ 9/4/13 ~ Bravelle, trigger shot, IUI ~ BFP! ~ EDD: 6/11/14 ~ heartbeat of 118 at 6w3d ~ mmc discovered at 9w1d

Re: CoQ10 and DHEA?

• Options
    There have been a number of discussions about this, particularly among AMA ladies. Consensus seems to be that a lot take all that you mentioned. And a lot of ladies have had their REs recommend taking them, or, in my case, say that there's no proof it will help but they don't expect it to hurt so go ahead and take what you want. I've had two drs tell me that now.

I started taking all three a number of months ago and started on 75 mg DHEA daily. But I had what I thought was an irregular kind of reaction to it. And the truth is I have no idea if it was due to that or if it was something else and just coincidental. I did some reading on all of them and I personally don't feel comfortable with the DHEA anymore but have continued with the COQ10 (200 mg / day) and Vitamin D ( I think it's a 1000 pill a day?). It's not that I think the DHEA is dangerous or anything but I'm just not sure about it for me personally. I've only taken a pretty low dose of each but the only reason I'm not taking more of the COQ10 daily is really because I am terrible at remembering.

I will get my second set of AMH tests back pretty soon and I'll be curious to see if those small changes made a difference but I am not getting my hopes up.

I would follow whatever your RE is recommending and wish you the best of luck!

dream 1 CAME TRUE 2.13.2010

<dream 2> 12.2011

2.10.12 : 4 weeks

6.17.12 : 10 weeks

10.10.12 : 4 weeks, 6 days

12.13.12 : 9 weeks, 1 day

4.6.13 : 4 weeks, 4 days

10.27.13 : 5 weeks, 6 days

4.2.14 (IVF #1) : 4 weeks, 1 day

6.19.14 : IVF #2 Negative

</dream 2>

resolve.org

AMA, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, heterozygous MTHFR

"all it was was a fairytale and devotion to a dream"

lyrics

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    ***All always welcome!!***

• Options

I don't take any of these, so I really don't have a place to suggest that's cheaper than the other.

I do know that my local walgreens and walmart and Kroger/dillons carry them.

https://grocery.coupondivas.com/coupon-database.html  ou can go here and search for coupons to print depending on the brand you buy.  Nature Made, Nature's Bount & Sundown Naturals always have coupons to print. Or you can simply search Vitamin and see what comes up.

BFP#4 3/17/14 - rainbow Baby BOY arrived 11/10/14 !!

DX: Uterine Septum - Resection 9/5/13 || MTHFR Hetero A1298C || My Chart

image    image

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I also take coq10 and order from amazon. I take 300 mg ubiquinol coq10, 100mg spaced out 3x/day. My RE said the same as Anita's, might not help but certainly won't hurt.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC since Sept 2011, Unexplained IF
    Oct 12 - Jan 14: 3 clomid/TI cycles, 2 hysteroscopies, 2 IUIs, 1 BFP (MMC @ 12w), 2 more IUIs
    Feb 14: Gonal-f + IUI #5 = BFP! (EDD 11/4/14)
    Baby boy arrived 11/13/14!

• Options
    My RE recommended 300 mg of CoQ10 for both me and DH and 75mg a day of DHEA.  The RE suggested the Kirkland brand of CoQ10 from Costco. DH takes that. I only take GNC vitamins - I noticed I was have issues with about every other brand of vitamins that had a food coloring or dye in them.

CoQ10 - I've been taking 300mg since May. I have not noticed any side effects.
    DHEA - DH read and freaked out about it and did not want me to take it. I held off until last cycle when I started on the 25mg X 3 per day. I pretty much decided to do it because of 1) my testosterone tested on the low side and I read that DHEA is recommended for women with low testosterone, and 2) a couple different AMA grads on PgAl that credit DHEA as being the difference maker for them. Side effects - may have caused my to have spotting/break through bleeding right before O (but also could be a coincidence since my previous cycle was wonky). I will credit it with increased "hey I"m fertile" symptoms - more fertile CM and much higher libido.  After they break through bleeding I dropped to 25 mg X 2 a day.

The day the Bump died - Jasper is wise
  • Options
    RN536 said:
    My RE recommended 300 mg of CoQ10 for both me and DH and 75mg a day of DHEA.  The RE suggested the Kirkland brand of CoQ10 from Costco. DH takes that. I only take GNC vitamins - I noticed I was have issues with about every other brand of vitamins that had a food coloring or dye in them.

CoQ10 - I've been taking 300mg since May. I have not noticed any side effects.
    DHEA - DH read and freaked out about it and did not want me to take it. I held off until last cycle when I started on the 25mg X 3 per day. I pretty much decided to do it because of 1) my testosterone tested on the low side and I read that DHEA is recommended for women with low testosterone, and 2) a couple different AMA grads on PgAl that credit DHEA as being the difference maker for them. Side effects - may have caused my to have spotting/break through bleeding right before O (but also could be a coincidence since my previous cycle was wonky). I will credit it with increased "hey I"m fertile" symptoms - more fertile CM and much higher libido.  After they break through bleeding I dropped to 25 mg X 2 a day.
    @buggirl72 Interesting about the dhea. I have never had my testosterone levels checks and I have never admitted this but I have zero sexual libido. I never want to have sex and just have no desire. I can go months without an orgasm, it does not bother me. Hope that's not TMI. Maybe I should start some DHEA. I am AMA age so maybe it can't hurt. Do you know if it would be bad to take it without getting testosterone levels checked? Thanks
    Pretty much nothing is TMI on this board ;)
    My RE recommended it to me without knowing what my testosterone levels were.  His opinion was basically that it helps some people and does nothing for others and it is not really clear why it works for some and not others.  I found one clinic that did studies claiming that DHEA increased androgen levels in women with DOR (which DHEA is an androgen so that makes sense) and this is what improved egg quality. I know some clinics require DHEA supplementation prior to IVF. 

I don't think it would be a bad idea to have your testosterone, prolactin, and other CD3 hormone levels checked just to see where you are at but I don't think you have to have it done prior to starting DHEA. I just felt more comfortable going for it after reading about it being beneficial for people with similar test levels as me.

The day the Bump died - Jasper is wise
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"