Snarky and T-TTC

Clomid question

my sister has been on.Clomid for 3 cycles. she's only getting one u/s per cycle. I thought proper Clomid protocol was 3 or so a month. can any of you please help?
Racheal- a newly single, student mom to 3 boys 

CC 10/2005
NC 11/2009
DC 08/2012

and TEAM GREEN 05/2014

Re: Clomid question

• Usually the start you out at 50 mg (one pill) and see if you ovulate. If you do, the keep you on one pill for 6 months to a year or until you conceive. If you don't ovulate on 50, they bump you up to 100, or 2 pills. If you still don't ovulate, they bump you up to 150, or 3 pills. My doctor told me this is because if you take a higher dose than is needed, your chance of twins or triplets go way up.
  • Woops, I misread what you were asking. My doctor didn't use Ultrasound when I was on Clomid because 1) most insurances won't cover them, which can run 60-150 dollars a pop and 2) blood tests are more accurate and cheaper. Again, sorry for misreading!
  • Loading the player...
  • I didn't use clomid so I'm not sure how accurate my info is, but I think if the u/s is close enough to TI or IUI that is ok.  Then they can check that there aren't too many follicles/ evaluate the risk of multiples.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Some REs do ultrasounds and some prefer OPKs and bloodwork because it is more accurate and less expensive. 
    Carly
    (Former UN: iloveshanej)

Birdie born 05/01/2007
    Rainbow Surprise Baby due 05/26/2017                                          

Potato Launcher

• Lurking from TTTC, my MD only used CD21 bldwork to check for ovulation, no ultrasounds and has requested we not use OPK's. This is the case with both TI and IUI
    Andrea (31), married Aaron (36) September 2012
    Parents to fur babies Tiki and Gizzmo and 2yr old Georgia
    IF veterans; #1 conceived on second clomid+HCG+IUI, #2 conceived on 1st Letrozole+HCG+IUI
    EDD: Feb 5, 2018

• I think it is different for every woman based on her age, diagnosis, and insurance coverage. I just had my first round of clomid this month. My MD is also only using one ultrasound per cycle due to cost (all out of pocket), however I had a friend whose insurance covered iui and she had several per cycle. They are bumping me up to 100 mg next cycle and if the ultrasound shows a normal response they will be ok with skipping the u/s in the future (much lower chance of a 38 year old having multiples). She should ask her dr about it, I think the main reason my dr. likes to use at least one is to make sure you don't have too many big follies.
    Me: 40, Hypothyroidism, well managed, TSH 1.99
    DH: 44 Fine except for low morphology
    TTC since 02/2013  
    08/13: Day 3 tests (ESTRADIOL 20.8; AMH 1.1; FSH 6.2)
    12/13 HSG, all clear
    11/13-5/14 - IUIs #1-3, BFNs, 
    6/14 to present: Taking a break, getting healthier, researching IVF
    Planning for IVF in late summer 2015

• I asked a question about unmonitored Clomid on TtGP last night and the first comment has a GREAT answer for what monitoring is supposed to happen.

Unmonitored Clomid - The Bump

http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lre85rOxrj1qje0bvo1_500.gif

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

TTC Since August 2013

• I had 3 (unsuccessful) rounds of clomid, and never had an ultrasound. 
    Married 07.07.07. Mom to 3: Ruby 11/08 and Oliver & Austin 12/11
  • Woops, I misread what you were asking. My doctor didn't use Ultrasound when I was on Clomid because 1) most insurances won't cover them, which can run 60-150 dollars a pop and 2) blood tests are more accurate and cheaper. Again, sorry for misreading!
    Did clomid work for you @musickphan912
    ***Trigger Warning: Living and loss mentioned***

First TTC Journey: 

- Failed attempts at clomid with OB
    - HSG with OB, nothing found
    - Met with RE. Laparoscopy/Hysteroscopy done on 08/04/2014. Results: Hymenal stenosis, minimal endometriosis, and PCOS
    BFP #1: 11/26/2014, IT'S A BOY!
  • Usually the start you out at 50 mg (one pill) and see if you ovulate. If you do, the keep you on one pill for 6 months to a year or until you conceive. If you don't ovulate on 50, they bump you up to 100, or 2 pills. If you still don't ovulate, they bump you up to 150, or 3 pills. My doctor told me this is because if you take a higher dose than is needed, your chance of twins or triplets go way up.

::lurking from 2if::

One pill per cycle? Im jw because this month is my first round of Clomid. But I was instructed to take 1 pill everyday from cd5 to cd9, this would total 5 pills for one cycle...

imageimage

BabyFruit Ticker 

• Kam310Kam310 member
    I am on my third round of clomid and I have not had any u/s. I have blood work done on cd 24 (I ovulate later) my levels increase each month but still no bfp
  • I second what @NariaDreaming said! U/Ss during Clomid are so important! One u/s per cycle should be ok, but they generally recommend more. Most OBs hand out Clomid like candy w/ no monitoringwhich is horrible and why most people should see an RE when on Clomid. I'm on my 3rd cycle of Clomid and luckily my OB works closely with an RE so that my insurance will cover my treatments and he monitors with u/s and blood work each cycle, but this is a very rare situation. 
    Me: 26 (PCOS - Diagnosed May 2014) DH: 30 (Normal - In the process of testing)
    Married: 03.16.13
    TTC Since: April 2013
    Treatment: Daily Metformin + Clomid Days 5-9 each Cycle
    May 2014 - June 2014: 50 mg Clomid + timed BD = BFN
    June 2014 - July 2014: 50 mg Clomid + timed BD = BFN - progesterone test 1.6
    July 2014 - August 2014: 100 mg Clomid + timed BD = CANCELLED due to bleeding on day 14
    August 2014 - September 2014: Unfortunately not medicating as we are waiting to see an RE in September!!!

17 People Who Are Having A Worse Day Than You (18 GIFs)

• I'm on my 3rd cycle and this one I will be monitored (pervious 2 I was not). I had a u/s yesterday and then go back on Monday to see if any are ready to go. I haven't ovulated yet on Clomid. If this doesn't work we are moving toward other, more aggressive medical interventions as I'm 31 and my husband is 35. I feel better being monitored honestly. I've heard horror stories and the idea of being closely watched is reassuring. Good Luck!
  • I also back what @Nariadreaming said. I am currently on my second cycle of Clomid but have been working with a RE for over a year. I am on 50mcg and my RE will not do more than 3 cycles. If I understand correctly, the ultrasound on day 2-3 is to determine if there are cysts and how many follicles you have. A doctor may do a mid-cycle if you have NOT ovulated. The Mid-Cycle is to determine not only if you ovulated but how many follicles grew. However the mid-cycle is not as important as the beginning cycle one.  It is very important to do at least the ultrasound on days 2-3 of your cycle so they can monitor you. Unfortunately my insurance as a teacher does not cover the ultrasounds but we believe the $200 cost is worth it should there be any problems.

I hope this helps @Artichoken.

33 years old, Married Oct '11,

Summer '14: Diagosed with hypothryoidism, pollup, LPD, Low AMH, strong FSH.

BFP: 1/22/15. EDD: 9/23/14. Rainbow baby!

• I have done two rounds of clomid. The first was 50mg and second was 100. Both times I went in on cd10 for bloodwork, full bladder ultrasound and an internal ultrasound. After that, I went back every other day for bloodwork and an internal ultrasound until the follicle reached 17mm. At that point they had me come in daily for monitoring.
  • This is my 2nd month on clomid and Premarin (I was anovulatory after coming off the pill in 2/15), I am ovulating nicely, but I of course started trying too early to test! Period is due on 7/30 and I have had 2 days of BFN!!! I am working with a o/b and did the potency ultrasound, good leader follicle and a day21 lab of 17.2 with a lining of 6 on day12! I heard FREP is the best and I for some reason thought that was going to be a magic stick this morning! So discouraged! But I am hoping I'm not out of the game! Assume pregnant until AF!