Trying to Get Pregnant

Unmonitored Clomid

I got the impression while reading an earlier thread that many OBs prescribe Clomid and don't do proper monitoring despite knowing the risks. So...3 questions. 1. What is "proper" monitoring? 2. Why the fuck do they do that? 3. I have read that you can only have Clomid for 6 cycles. Is this 6 over a lifetime or 6 in a short time frame? 3b. Why can you only have 6?

*I am not taking Clomid (monitored or otherwise). We have been TTC for 2 months so we aren't even close to that point.

http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lre85rOxrj1qje0bvo1_500.gif

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

TTC Since August 2013

Re: Unmonitored Clomid

• Wow, @bbgirl76 what a great and thorough response to her question! I just learned loads so thank you:)
    Also, I keep hearing about CD3 tests. What specifically are they testing for on cd3?
  • That was an amazing wealth of information.  Thank you.
    Me: 34 - PCOS | DH: 30 - everything looks good!
    TTC #1 since 10/13
    March 2014 - 1st medicated cycle - 5mg Femara CD 3-7 = BFP! EDD 12/26/14

It's a boy!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Wow! Thanks for taking the time to respond so thoroughly! I was not expecting to get that much info, especially from one person! And I completely agree about this being in the newbie blog. There have to be others who are wondering the same thing but are afraid to ask because they don't want to sound stupid. Personally, I don't care if I sound stupid. I'm here to learn and I can't do that without asking questions.

http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lre85rOxrj1qje0bvo1_500.gif

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

TTC Since August 2013

• Thank you @bbg676!  I learned (from here) that unmonitored Clomid was a big deal, but I had no idea why.  
    Me: 31 DH: 31
    Married 08/11/12 & TTC Since 10/13
    Previous Endo and Ovarian Cyst DX 
    March 2010: Lap. Surgery & D&C--removed 2 cysts 
    BFP: 12/20/2013 EDD: 09/03/2014 
    Travis Karel arrived on 08/21/2014 at 38w1d.
    BFP #2!  Travis is getting a sibling!
    EDD: 1/24/2017

Mama to my two furbabies Sam and Phoenix

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @bbg676 that was awesome!! I've been on here a few months and that best explanation I've heard yet, I agree it needs to be in the newbie blog. Thanks!!!!
    Fucking bump!!!!
  • I think this was amazing. I'm sure there were plenty of people wondering about these questions but never came forward with them. Great job on both sides ladies.
  • I have definitely been wondering about this. Thank you OP for the question and thank you @bgb676 for such a thorough response. My OB offered it to me, and I said no because people here have warned so strongly against it. But I'm glad I know why now.

httpi790photobucketcomalbumsyy184elsabrown08e26d3682-3305-47b8-9997-1488d4f6ff18_zpscd6c53aajpg
    ~*~
    Married 4.4.09  ~*~  Me-34 & DH-32 ~*~
    Complete Thyroidectomy Oct 07'  &  Cardiac Ablation Surgery for SVAT Sept 11'
    BFP #1 - 10.3.10  I  EDD 6.11.16  I  Boy #1 born 6.16.11
    BFP #2 - 9.12.13 l EDD 5.27.14 l CP 9.20.13
    BFP #3 - 3.5.14 I  EDD 11.17.14 I  Boy #2 born 11.17.14

• @bbg676 I'm sure it took a lot of time to type up that thorough and helpful response. Thanks for doing that. I agree with PPs that it should somehow be incorporated into the Newbie blog.

image      image

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Definitely an amazing response! The other thing I would add is now I understand some of my girlfriends have been prescribed clomid without the proper monitoring and bloodwork PRIOR to the cycle. Now I am involved in the process there is about eight tests that need to be run, results shared, treatment plan for those test results if necessary, new bloodwork to see how that's going etc ,etc...and all this should be done before anyone ventures down the clomid route.
  • @bbg676 That response is exactly why we need to be able to triple-'like' a post.  Another vote for including that in the newbie thread!  I feel so lucky to have found this place (and you ladies).

n Chart</a>"http://www.fertilityfriend.com" style="font-size:smaller;" >Ovulation Charww.fertilityfriend.com" style="font-size:smaller;" >Ovulation Chart</a>

BabyFruit Ticker

• ::: waves frantically at @gonzol :::

• I love you guys.
    **siggy warning**  **everyone welcome**

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    DS- 11.07.02
    DSS- 6.26.04
    Married- 6.29.13
    TTC Again- Sept. 2013
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Test Results/Diagnosis- HSG & SA totally normal
    DX: 3/2014 Prolactinoma/Hyperprolactinemia- Started cabergoline 2/2014
    5/2014 Possible mild PCOS in addition to hyperprolactinemia??
    7/2014 Adding probable tubal factor to the diagnosis list
    9/2014 And now adding hypothyroid to the list- Started synthroid 9/2014
    Cycles 1-4 - Sept.-March- All Anovulatory 
    IUI #1 March/April-  Clomid 50mg + Clomid 100mg +Trigger + IUI #1 = BFN
     IUI #2 April/May-Clomid 100mg + Clomid 150mg + Trigger + IUI #2 + Endometrin=BFN
    IUI #3- June- Follistim 75iu + Trigger + IUI #3  Benched due to a 40 mm cyst. :-(
    IUI #3- July- Follistim 75iu + Trigger + IUI #3 + Endometrin = BFP! on 7/25/14
    Slowly rising betas - Ectopic suspected on 8/8/14 & confirmed on 8/11/14
    Methotrexate on 8/12/14 -HCG negative on 9/2/14
    IVF #1- November- Antagonist protocol: 11/1: start stims, 200iu of Follistim; 11/12 ER 17R/14M/14F; 11/17 5 day transfer of two blasts, 2 blasts and 2 expanding morulas frozen; 11/22 BFP!! (On FRER at 5dp5dt)
    Betas: 9dp5dt 205, 11dp5dt 497, 14dp5dt 1,709
    u/s at 5w0d- 1 sac; u/s at 6w0d 1 baby with heartbeat, another sac without a heartbeat

• My gyno gave me clomid & something to make me have a period before DH and I even started TTC! When I told him that DH and I would start trying a month before our wedding (we got married in August) and that I had always had 60 day cycles. For a first visit I was shocked to be given a script like that.

I had a dr about 16 years ago tell me I may need fertility drugs to get preg. I was 23 just got off bc only had 3-4 cycles they were about 45-50 days long. I did get preg and eventually mc at 14 weeks but I never saw him again. I don't know if it was clomid (or if they had it then) but the term fertility drugs scared me. My new dr put me on bc for two months that regulated my cycles and I got preg the next month. At the time I just remember seeing in the news people having 5 babies taking fertility drugs and I was scared, I only wanted 1. Lol

Fucking bump!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"